Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   2106 views

Description

First, I want to share that this is a very impressive site. The structure, graphics, search engine, and connections among items are all very well done and I’m excited to see it in its final form. That search function will set this apart from other resources, in my opinion.

One issue that I often come across, especially early in the ladder seasons, is determining the number of sockets an item would get from the
Larzuk
socketing quest based on the item level. For example, say a normal monster in Nightmare Act 1
Blood Moor
drops a
Crystal Sword
. Would it get 4 sockets or 6 sockets from the
Larzuk
quest? Typically my process is to Google monster levels to find that for the area I am in. Then Google max sockets based on item level, search through that awful list for my item type, and match the two up to find out how many sockets to expect.

I’m wondering if the upcoming Monsters and Areas sections might be part of this solution. I don’t have a specific recommendation for how this information could be presented, but I wanted to share this as something to consider.

This is probably more of an early ladder concern when searching for that first Spirit or Insight.

Thank you for your time,
Stratigery

Can be used to make Runewords:

First, I want to share that this is a very impressive site. The structure, graphics, search engine, and connections among items are all very well done and I’m excited to see it in its final form. That search function will set this apart from other resources, in my opinion.

One issue that I often come across, especially early in the ladder seasons, is determining the number of sockets an item would get from the
Larzuk
socketing quest based on the item level. For example, say a normal monster in Nightmare Act 1
Blood Moor
drops a
Crystal Sword
. Would it get 4 sockets or 6 sockets from the
Larzuk
quest? Typically my process is to Google monster levels to find that for the area I am in. Then Google max sockets based on item level, search through that awful list for my item type, and match the two up to find out how many sockets to expect.

I’m wondering if the upcoming Monsters and Areas sections might be part of this solution. I don’t have a specific recommendation for how this information could be presented, but I wanted to share this as something to consider.

This is probably more of an early ladder concern when searching for that first Spirit or Insight.

Thank you for your time,
Stratigery
Request fulfilledby Teebling2 years agoGo to post
Added in patch 0.3

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
stratigery wrote: 2 years ago
Hey @stratigery and welcome to the site :) Thanks for your kind words. The site will constantly be evolving; there's so much on my to-do list that I don't think a final form is in sight!
I don’t have a specific recommendation for how this information could be presented, but I wanted to share this as something to consider.
My knowledge of the finer end-game mechanics like this is somewhat lacking... can I ask you some questions first so that I can get a better idea of how this might work? Excuse my ignorance - for the person who made this site I'm sure you were expecting me to have a bit more knowledge.
...determining the number of sockets an item would get from the
Larzuk
socketing quest based on the item level.
First of all this - I'm guessing this is the end-goal of the proposed feature. Or are there other goals as well?

Hw is the number of sockets an item would get calculated with the
Larzuk
quest? All I remember is that
Larzuk
can give you one socket per difficulty level on completion of the relevant quest. Doesn't this make the possible number of addable sockets infinite?

The 'ilvl' you mentioned that determines something with
Larzuk
- Is it based on the level requirement of the weapon? For example, in this case with
Crystal Sword
, is the formula entered with it's level requirement - in this case none?
For example, say a normal monster in Nightmare Act 1
Blood Moor
drops a
Crystal Sword
Or do you mean something different by 'ilvl' - is this ^ what you're talking about? Like, do items get given an 'ilvl' depending on which type of monster drops it and it's location (act-wide or particular zones?). Could you be more specific on this particular mechanic and how it relates to the
Larzuk
quest? Is this stat dynamic (created with a random chance of X level) or is it static?
Typically my process is to Google monster levels to find that for the area I am in. Then Google max sockets based on item level, search through that awful list for my item type, and match the two up to find out how many sockets to expect.
Lastly - could you please tell me in more detail about exactly what data you are getting and where you get it from in your process? That way I can try to see what we have already and what potentially needs to be added, if at all, to the database.
Basically I'd just like to know more about how the in-game mechanic works - because until I fully understand that I can't begin working on it. Once I know a bit more/have it explained to me, I could potentially leverage the database to make this into an integrated tool.

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
@Teebling All items have an Item Level, which is also called iLevel or ilvl. It's sometimes referred to Quality Level or Qlvl. It's an indication of how powerful an item is.

The ilvl is a number that is used in many game calculations. In Diablo 2, ilvl is invisible, but is usually equal to the mlvl of the monster which dropped it.

The ilvl, in conjunction with the Quality Level (qlvl), also limits which affixes can appear on the item, (It's what stops you from getting a Godly
Quilted Armor
of the Whale in the
Blood Moor
on Normal, for example,) as well as the maximum number of sockets an item can spawn with.

For example, It's early in Ladder and I'm trying to make a Spirit in a
Crystal Sword
. I know it's not gonna drop in Normal because 3 sockets are the max you can get on that difficulty (excluding from Sockets Recipes/
Larzuk
's Quest).
However, I could go to
Secret Cow Level
, for example, in Normal, which has an Area Level of 28, and get a White
Crystal Sword
(which comes with an ilvl of 28) and then use it at
Larzuk
's to get my 4 Sockets
Crystal Sword
to make the Spirit. BUT, if you use a White
Crystal Sword
, let's say, found in
Durance of Hate Level 1
(which has an Area Level of 25) you are gonna end up with a 3 Sockets
Crystal Sword

Area Level: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level
Sockets: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Sockets

OP
@Teebling @
Stormlash

Thanks for sharing those links. That is the information I referred to. If the future Zones section on this site included the information on the chart in the Area_Level chart, then that would solve the first question.

To include the information on the sockets page, you would likely need to have three socket listings for each item instead of a single max sockets listed, which would be max sockets in each of those three columns.

In my original example, to find the information I was looking for I would start with the zones sections to see the level for Nightmare
Blood Moor
monsters and see they are level 36, then I would go to
Crystal Sword
and look at the max sockets and see that at iLevel 26-40 the maximum sockets would be 4. The
Larzuk
quest always provides the item with the max number of sockets available on the item (considering its item level), so 4 would be my answer.

Whether adding that information would be meaningful or just confusing is a whole other question.

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
Okay great, thanks for the info. I think I have a better understanding of what's needed and it would synergise well with some other stuff that's planned (see ).

In the meantime @stratigery would you be interested in writing a long-format post in the main forums about how this mechanic works so that others can benefit from this knowledge until the tool comes?

OP
Yes, I can put that together this weekend.

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
Added in patch 0.3
This post was marked as the best answer.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...