Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
18 replies   12747 views

Description

So now that D2R has been out some time, my non-ladder account is certainly looking a bit fatter. That said, I've been thinking about the runeword Obsession. This looks (potentially) stupid expensive to build. Do folks here recommend finding a base with +3 to mastery or is it only 'worth it' when you get the mastery + viable skill combo? I don't see myself ever finding this. I'll be honest, finding simply the +3 to mastery sounds daunting enough. I'm just kind of stoked about the thought of wielding a two-hander on my sorc!

Can be used to make Runewords:

So now that D2R has been out some time, my non-ladder account is certainly looking a bit fatter. That said, I've been thinking about the runeword Obsession. This looks (potentially) stupid expensive to build. Do folks here recommend finding a base with +3 to mastery or is it only 'worth it' when you get the mastery + viable skill combo? I don't see myself ever finding this. I'll be honest, finding simply the +3 to mastery sounds daunting enough. I'm just kind of stoked about the thought of wielding a two-hander on my sorc!
I made one in +3
Hydra
+2
Fire Mastery
+2
Chilling Armor
(which by itself is so freaking rare I'm still amused I got my hands on such) during s3 for a hydra sorc. Only very good to perfect base will be better than eschuta + spirit. You'd want at least +3 mastery and +2 to your damaging skill of choice or +1 mastery and +3 skill. This will reward you with much better resists but you'll lose on mana and therefore mana regen from spirit.

And it's useful only for fire spec as light has Infinity and cold has
Death's Fathom

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP
Queegon wrote: 4 months ago
I made one in +3
Hydra
+2
Fire Mastery
+2
Chilling Armor
(which by itself is so freaking rare I'm still amused I got my hands on such) during s3 for a hydra sorc. Only very good to perfect base will be better than eschuta + spirit. You'd want at least +3 mastery and +2 to your damaging skill of choice or +1 mastery and +3 skill. This will reward you with much better resists but you'll lose on mana and therefore mana regen from spirit.

And it's useful only for fire spec as light has Infinity and cold has
Death's Fathom
Thanks for your reply. And wow, it's going to take me years to find one of those combos, especially if limited to fire! It's a cool end-game chaser, wish more useful for cold/light.
ghostpos wrote: 4 months ago
Thanks for your reply. And wow, it's going to take me years to find one of those combos, especially if limited to fire! It's a cool end-game chaser, wish more useful for cold/light.
Well, not limited per se, just not optimal.

For lightning/
Chain Lightning
/
Nova
a similar base +1/+3 or +3/+2 and up would again be better than eschuta and spirit and give you the resists on top. But compared to Infinity? For cold losing the +35% fathom damage seems much worse to be a viable alternative.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
This bad boy dropped for me the other night. I might make Obsession just to fool around with on a cold/lite hybrid.

Not as efficient as a single-specced sorc, of course. But the whole reason for playing hybrids is because they can be a fun break from mix-maxed characters.
Can be used by 200fcr
Nova
sorc if you don't want to use Spirit
Monarch

Relax and have fun!
mockingbirdreal wrote: 4 months ago
Can be used by 200fcr
Nova
Monarch
Losing 2 sojs,
Ormus' Robes
(though vipermagi is a perfectly fine armor here) and needing a 20 FCR amulet to reach a faster frame seems like an overkill for negligible gains and substantial losses. But, personally, I think all 200fcr sorcs are a meme at best. And Eschuta + Spirit can reach the milestone easier (75 fcr to 65 fcr from those).

I tend to agree with Queegon. Most builds and players don't need 200fcr. I found myself casting more novas than necessary and drinking too many potions.
mockingbirdreal wrote: 4 months ago
Can be used by 200fcr
Nova
Monarch
Losing 2 sojs,
Ormus' Robes
(though vipermagi is a perfectly fine armor here) and needing a 20 FCR amulet to reach a faster frame seems like an overkill for negligible gains. But, personally, I think all 200fcr sorcs are a meme at best. And Eschuta + Spirit can reach the milestone easier (75 fcr to 65 fcr from those).
Without using Spirit you have more stats points to put into energy/vita.
For the price of
Zod
+
Ist
, it isn't supposed to replace Infinity nor perfect eschuta/df with 5/5 facet. It opens another way to gear you build.
200fcr sorc is good for rushing or fast playing style.

Relax and have fun!
I made mine in a
War Staff
with +3
Frozen Orb
, +3 blizzard, +1 chilling armour. Wasn’t concerned with FCR for a blizzard build, and extra to
Cold Mastery
wouldn’t help much… still is meh. (The Death’s fathom i found only rolled +21 to cold damage, grrr!)

Would be fine for a build using
Energy Shield
too, giving better +skills than a CTA, even one in a staff. Not as good as a Memory, but could could be used as the primary weapon. Maybe a
Hydra
or
Thunder Storm
Energy Shield
build could put it to work
if any of you want to get rid of a +3
Frozen Orb
+3 blizzard, I'll take it

Crispin wrote: 4 months ago
Frozen Orb
Out of luck. Nate plays Offline SSF.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

dbrunski125 did a video in which he compares an Obsession vs HOTO, Fathom and Eschuta's.
Knappogue wrote: 4 months ago
Crispin wrote: 4 months ago
Frozen Orb
Out of luck. Nate plays Offline SSF.
oh. I see.

TheDoo 265

Europe PC
I would argue it's best suited for dual spec builds and/or builds that don't use ES (because then you get max use of +% to life part).

I'm kinda sucker for Obsession, it just looked so cool when I first saw it, and yes it makes 200 FCR builds more achievable.
The best thing about Obsession (something I like the most I think) are all res, this opens up some alternatives (for example using 4x facets armor instead of usual) but also I personally think it's not negligible to consider using it on switch for, for example, Enchantress in a good base (+3
Enchant
) as well or even something like pure Fire Ball build (if you manage to get +3
Fire Mastery
, +3 Fire Ball base). :)

If you are going for some off-meta build like Demon Enchantress (
Demon Machine
+
Enchant
) it actually gives you higher
Enchant
if you would use Obsession with +3
Enchant
base instead of CtA + BC + Spirit or even HotO + Spirit combo.

Well if you want to utterly min/max you could use CtA + Spirit + CoH to cast BO + BC, then switch to Obsession +
Ormus' Robes
(with +3
Enchant
) to cast basically max
Enchant
(lvl 51 is that max?) on yourself and Merc [1344 secs or 22.4 min] and then swap out armor for whatever you are using (4x facets one for example), gloves,
Belt
if you want and main weapon whatever it is (
Demon Machine
, Beast, etc.) and even take CtA + Spirit back for BC+BO recast when needed; but that is too much of juggling to pre-buff even for my taste. It does last insanely long (the
Enchant
part at least) but I dunno if that's worth it. :)

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
@TheDoo That's where + 3 fire skills, +3
Enchant
and up to +3
Fire Mastery
(not obligatory) orb with 2 facets inside comes into action for true minmaxing. Can be paired with Spirit too. Think I'm running at a prebuff of lv 54
Enchant
with this.

TheDoo 265

Europe PC
@TheDoo That's where + 3 fire skills, +3
Enchant
and up to +3
Fire Mastery
(not obligatory) orb with 2 facets inside comes into action for true minmaxing. Can be paired with Spirit too. Think I'm running at a prebuff of lv 54
Enchant
with this.
Wow yeah, that pushes the craziness even further, didn't think of just pure orb with insane mods and 2 facets inside. Thanks Queegon!
And ye, I just counted my setup in as in 7 skillers + Sunder + cube + tp book + torch which makes you carry only 7 skillers but you could lose cube and sunder and literally take 2 more skillers instead (or at least one more instead of cube) and then have +3 fire skills on top of that for lvl 56
Enchant
(well lvl 55 with Sunder) I guess as utter max...

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
TheDoo wrote: 4 months ago
And ye, I just counted my setup in as in 7 skillers + Sunder + cube + tp book + torch which makes you carry only 7 skillers but you could lose cube and sunder and literally take 2 more skillers instead (or at least one more instead of cube) and then have +3 fire skills on top of that for lvl 56
Enchant
(well lvl 55 with Sunder) I guess as utter max...
I'd say 55 is max with up to 5 facets (orb,
Ormus
Coronet
) for extra +25% and lvl 52 mastery (that's with an orb costing you a hundred+ jahs):
9+3+1 charms = 13
1+1+2+3 mage, arach, sojs, amulet = 7
6+2+3+3 orb, shield,
Coronet
Ormus
= 14
BC = 1
20 base

And you'd be switching all that to a proper gear after buff to min/max:
- soj +
Raven Frost

- arach +
Razortail

- headgear + flicker
-
Ormus
+ vipermagi
- orb + cta
- 2 skillers + cube and sunder

Watched the dbrunski video about Obsession and it only confirmed my own bias. :) Only for fire with perfect base or for an undisclosed hybrid.

OP
Just got a +2 Fire Matsery 6 OS
Rune Staff
. This is solo offline, unsure I'll ever find a better base but I'll keep searching!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...