Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
14 replies   7174 views

Description

So after you do a good mf farming session, you’re probably like me:

got a stash full of gear, only some of it actually good, you’re sick of doing the same run hundreds of times, even sick of your build & character, and you’ve forgotten how tedious it is to grind to level 27 and gather Kalim’s body parts.

Now you’re ready to convert your gem mule into an actual character (everyone had a gem mule at some point, don’t lie and don’t judge!), but what to choose?

I’ve always been interested in builds where the player doesn’t actively kill stuff (but not you trap assassins, you don’t count).

So what’s your favourite way to empower your merc to win the game for you? And how do you do it?

Do you
Enchant
?
Do you emit an aura of
Concentration
?
Do you
Lower Resist
?
Do you
Shout
Battle Orders
?
Or are you one of the other classes that use
Demon Limb
, Call To Arms and other charges?

Do they wear anything unexpected?

How does your build compliment them?

I wanna try a build like this but I legitimately don’t know which way to go… is anyone truly “best” at becoming the merc’s merc?

Thx for all recommendations! And stories
Description by Nate

Can be used to make Runewords:

Nate 535

Switch
So after you do a good mf farming session, you’re probably like me:

got a stash full of gear, only some of it actually good, you’re sick of doing the same run hundreds of times, even sick of your build & character, and you’ve forgotten how tedious it is to grind to level 27 and gather Kalim’s body parts.

Now you’re ready to convert your gem mule into an actual character (everyone had a gem mule at some point, don’t lie and don’t judge!), but what to choose?

I’ve always been interested in builds where the player doesn’t actively kill stuff (but not you trap assassins, you don’t count).

So what’s your favourite way to empower your merc to win the game for you? And how do you do it?

Do you
Enchant
?
Do you emit an aura of
Concentration
?
Do you
Lower Resist
?
Do you
Shout
Battle Orders
?
Or are you one of the other classes that use
Demon Limb
, Call To Arms and other charges?

Do they wear anything unexpected?

How does your build compliment them?

I wanna try a build like this but I legitimately don’t know which way to go… is anyone truly “best” at becoming the merc’s merc?

Thx for all recommendations! And stories
I think a
Prayer
Act2 merc with Insight and Cure wearing
Guardian Angel
, having either a Treachery prebuff or providing
Salvation
as a paladin is nigh unkillable.
Might take time but eventually he should be able to solo all act bosses.

I even think that's the perfect (practical) fit for a super cheap fhodin CS farmer, because
Conviction
is superfluous for that.

Necrarch 1608Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
May prefer
Skin of the Flayed One
for the Armor over
Guardian Angel
for more leech.

A5 full Sazabi seems very strong too.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Necrarch 1608Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Teebling wrote: 1 year ago
Manic pixie dream girl Act I merc is the most interesting hireling build I've seen posted so far.
I use her with my trapsin, she is just incredible. Not an enemy that comes nearby, but less for pure damage than complete crowd control.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
OP

Nate 535

Switch
So I finally found an
Eth
reapers toll, figured I’ll give Emilio that (
Shael
’d) with fort and Andy’s visage (
Ruby
jewel of ferver), and I’d be a pally, with max
Concentration
, holding a Beast and Exile, wearing a Cure, maybe a Bramble, but probably Enigma to reposition him - being that powerful he just might not care about the monsters.

I imagine he’d be able to handle pretty much anything
I really want to try a build that revolves around act 3 merc, but that means it has to be a paladin or necro...

But I think even with an okay gear, a lightning merc with a paladin running maxed
Conviction
could do all the work, as long as he's not getting hit too often.
And a lightning merc with griffon's and Crescent Moon could probably clear p1 in ... okay-ish time? Not sure about that one though.

I'm only playing casually, so I don't think I will ever be able to try a fully geared act 3 merc, but I would be interested in seeing the results, if anyone wants to try it
I have a hard time believing that any merc tan truly solo hell. (but I'd love to see tha run)
My merc gets body slammed by succubi or the councel in less than half a second with active
Fade
and >4k life.

All prices are negotiable.
All trades are Non-Ladder.
never tried this but:
triple
Eth
fort
Frenzy
merc-
6000+ def, 60% ctc chillin armour, 40% deadly strike, 650 ave dam per sword
player-warcry barb w. demonlimb and lifetap
Wand
on switch

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
krathkor wrote: 1 year ago
never tried this but:
triple
Eth
fort
Frenzy
merc-
Wand
on switch
Actually, the def on weap versions would stack multiplicatively with the armor one so you should be able to pump him not just to 6k+ but to something like 35k+ defense before chilling. Though that same def would then be additive with chilling making that bonus a bit smaller, probably resulting in somewhere right around 45 to 50k defense, given solid armors (sacred, upped headpiece).

The deadly would be at 20% though. Each weapon only gets its own bonus, they don't just add together.

Either way, interesting idea..may have to play around with that. :)
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
krathkor wrote: 1 year ago
never tried this but:
triple
Eth
fort
Frenzy
merc-
Wand
on switch
Actually, the def on weap versions would stack multiplicatively with the armor one so you should be able to pump him not just to 6k+ but to something like 35k+ defense before chilling. Though that same def would then be additive with chilling making that bonus a bit smaller, probably resulting in somewhere right around 45 to 50k defense, given solid armors (sacred, upped headpiece).

The deadly would be at 20% though. Each weapon only gets its own bonus, they don't just add together.

Either way, interesting idea..may have to play around with that. :)
forgot about the hat, andy's w. jewel !

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Or..you know..go with a barb, add
Shout
for even more def..sheesh
Beast + LW on the barb to hit max attack speed and bump the dmg a bit. He doesn't die. Like..he just doesn't (short of tanking ubers but even then it takes a while). Res is massively overcapped with tri-fort which is kinda nice because even lower res doesn't matter to him anymore.

The damage is ok albeit nothing stellar. Not necessarily something you wanna watch solo as it does take quite a while, even on P1.

The one problem (other than complete failure on phys immunes of course) is that the chance to flee on Fortitude weapons makes everything run off before he can really kill it. That does get a tad annoying to say the least.

Teebling 5832Admin

Europe PC

Fuck me :lol:

mhlg 843

Americas PC
Nate wrote: 1 year ago
So I finally found an
Eth
reapers toll, figured I’ll give Emilio that (
Shael
’d) with fort and Andy’s visage (
Ruby
jewel of ferver), and I’d be a pally, with max
Concentration
, holding a Beast and Exile, wearing a Cure, maybe a Bramble, but probably Enigma to reposition him - being that powerful he just might not care about the monsters.

I imagine he’d be able to handle pretty much anything
That's very similar to my chosen A2 merc build (Reapers, Andariels, Fort, but with level 34 Fanat.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
OP

Nate 535

Switch
So I did some testing in my hammerdin, the act 2 might merc,
Eth
reapers, fort, Andy’s, Beast, Exile, Cure and
Concentration
does make the merc a killing machine, even on p7 and the p7
Terror
zones I tried. His res are all maxed and beyond and he hits for 2-11k, which is pretty sweet.

There were 3 issues I found though:

1. He gets bogged down when there’s lots of enemies that also
Revive
, this one I solve by telestomping the one that revives them all.
2. The player’s survivability goes way down with these gear pieces, now you could probably make this up with charms, I haven’t fully optimized the build yet, but I did die a few times due to low fire res in the
Chaos Sanctuary
3. While he 1-shots normal monsters and even elites, against act bosses he lacks punch, this I’m sure could be overcome with an up’d gface or appropriately socketed
Giant Skull
or coa.

Otherwise it’s a solid mf set-up - just stack mf everywhere you can on the pally, you don’t need any other than res (maybe a bit of fcr, but you don’t need to tell very much)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...