Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   671 views

Description

Hey y’all, everyone gets to this point when they play this game long enough… you stop worrying about defeating
Baal
or leveling up and you start to focus on…other things.

The original non-conventional playing is pvp, but lots also do ‘holy grails’ various different kinds - hardcore, rune words, ethereal, etc.
Some people do speed-running, or ‘theme’ running - no tps, no rune words, no skills, etc.

What are your non-conventional play styles?

I was thinking of making one of my characters a ‘fashion model’ where I just try and put on weird looking gear and see how some crazy uniques look…maybe
Description by Nate

Can be used to make Runewords:

Nate 542

Switch
Hey y’all, everyone gets to this point when they play this game long enough… you stop worrying about defeating
Baal
or leveling up and you start to focus on…other things.

The original non-conventional playing is pvp, but lots also do ‘holy grails’ various different kinds - hardcore, rune words, ethereal, etc.
Some people do speed-running, or ‘theme’ running - no tps, no rune words, no skills, etc.

What are your non-conventional play styles?

I was thinking of making one of my characters a ‘fashion model’ where I just try and put on weird looking gear and see how some crazy uniques look…maybe

Schnorki 3235Moderator

PC
I've always kind of been a fan of "being better than intended". Not so I can sound like a dick but because I enjoy the challenge. Back in the WoW days for example, that meant soloing all sorts of dungeons/raids. In D2, it had to be something different as "soloing everything" is just too easy by design so that's not a real challenge unless maybe you're still in full starter gear and following some crap streamer build or something.

As a result, for D2, it has kind of just turned into "find a rough playstyle that i genuinely enjoy, even if it shouldn't work all that well and then figure out a way to turn it into an optimized build that actually outperforms the rest (sometimes in general, sometimes for specific purposes)".
Related fun fact: There's a fair few options of under- or simply un-used builds in this game that can legitimately outperform those that random YouTubers keep telling you are "ZOMG ZE BEST S-TIER!". Even more so since sunders and whatnot.

That and just messing around helping random people.

Plus I do still enjoy the occasional farming session. Don't really still need anything..but hey, just for the fun of it. Though I guess that isn't exactly non-conventional. :)

Necrarch 1693Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
If I had time, would love to try something like BowNecro or stuff like that, ;)

I only appreciate conventional ways, but just because I hardly play more than 2-3 hours a week in the best times.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
You should do that and post your pictures here!

Kind of like Schnorki, I like playing off-meta builds. Melee amazon,
Revive
-only summoner, Golemancer, Ranger paladin, Ironbarb, and the
Rabies
druid. There are a few walls in terms of gameplay but the challenge keeps it interesting.

Necrarch 1693Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Ah, and also planning. Love planning. And how to make Sets viable. I love Sets.

My Nat sin is one, my Disciple Zon with Sazabi merc is the other. :D

And they are better than anyone else, of course, they have the famous Aura of Uselessness displayed.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
no farming HC
once u clear an area/boss, never go back
once u start a new difficulty, never go back [unless u beat the game oc...]

Schnorki 3235Moderator

PC
krathkor wrote: 1 year ago
no farming HC
So..after finishing hell
Baal
you just repeat hell from beginning to finish in full runs? Or is that the point where the char is done and you start a new one? :)
then it's just a normal character.
the challenge is no repeatedly farming countess/andy whatever for gear/runes/xp.

to get xp u have to clear the areas players usually skip, eg swampy pit...

never could do it...
krathkor wrote: 1 year ago
no farming HC
Hey, I know a couple of people who believe this is the only true way of playing diablo games!
The older guys, the same playstyle for years...

Necrarch 1693Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
I am officially an old guy then, as I only start new zones when fully done (i.e. no monster left) with previous ones.
However I allow myself to continue playing a finished zone for XP or look.

Annihilus

Schnorki 3235Moderator

PC
To be fair, I'm old without doing that :P
OP

Nate 542

Switch
That was my original way of playing when my brother and I first got the original d2 as teenagers, we’d take turns exploring each area fully before going onto the next, no maps (because we didn’t know about that feature), no running even (we started off walking and didn’t know you could switch to running).

Oh if past me could see all my character builds now…

… we’ll he’d probably be like “how long did all that take you!?!”

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation