Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   6438 views

Description

Hello,
I would like to hear the opinion/experience by someone who tried Pride as merc weapon for a summoner necro. I am currently very happy with my Obedience and frankly i wouldn't change it, but Pride is often defined as BiS for this build so i am curious about it. I'd stick with Obedience because it has an awesome damage and the crushing blow chance is very useful to obliterate bosses very quickly, and my skellies are alredy buffed by merc's might aura and my Beast's
Fanaticism
. So it seems to me that the bonus granted by that
Concentration
aura wouldn't be enough to make up for the loss of my only CB/very high damage source, being Emilio's Obedience.
But i'd love to hear some opinion on that.
Thanks for your feedback.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello,
I would like to hear the opinion/experience by someone who tried Pride as merc weapon for a summoner necro. I am currently very happy with my Obedience and frankly i wouldn't change it, but Pride is often defined as BiS for this build so i am curious about it. I'd stick with Obedience because it has an awesome damage and the crushing blow chance is very useful to obliterate bosses very quickly, and my skellies are alredy buffed by merc's might aura and my Beast's
Fanaticism
Concentration
aura wouldn't be enough to make up for the loss of my only CB/very high damage source, being Emilio's Obedience.

Sweet Lovely Death
Just waiting for your breath
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress

Schnorki 3172Moderator

PC
Steccothal wrote: 1 year ago
Hello,
Fanaticism
Concentration
Let's assume you're a fully geared summoner necro. That leaves you with lvl 50 skeletons (+/-, depending on gear choice) and generally 18 of those. One of those skeletons has right around 600dps base. Might bumps that to about 920. Pride to about 1402. So Pride makes a difference of (1402-920)*18 = 8676 dps.

Now, using that same Pride, your merc will have somewhere around 7.35k dps (give or take,
Jab
frequency and all that jazz). Obedience bumps that closer to 13k or in other words adds right around 6k.

So in that particular comparison, Pride wins out in terms of raw damage by somewhere in the ballpark of 2.5k dps. Though things shift a bit (in favor of Obedience) if you yourself use Beast, due to the merc's Obedience being further buffed by fana.

That's a very baseline comparison though and actual results will differ due to skeletons and your merc having a different hit chance. It also doesn't consider your golem choice yet which would also be buffed by Pride.

Personally, I would wager an educated guess and say that evened out across normal farming routes, including bosses, Pride will win out in damage but not by a massive margin. At the same time, you do lose merc survivability because his own crap damage will make his leech suck.

Also keep in mind that Obedience is far from your top choice. If you give your merc an
Eth
War Pike
BoTD for example, his DPS shoots up to right around 19.5k in the same baseline scenario which eclipses anything a Pride adds to your skeletons by a good margin.

TLDR:
Pride should beat Obedience but not by enough to make it an essential upgrade as your merc is typically still a very significant source of your overall damage. Personally, I would go for an
Eth
BoTD
War Pike
instead and let your merc go to town. Pride on skeletons should not be able to really compete with that.

Disclaimer:
I pulled some base numbers for all of this from maxroll for the sake of a quick rough comparison, rather than doing my own full math, so the whole comparison is dependent on them not being completely wrong. :D
If you have Enigma, make a Pride IG and problem solved! (Assuming you are Richie Rich) :D

Joke besides, I have such fantasy.

* I trade both ladder and non-ladder, please check before asking.
* All my trades are for runes, keys (especially KoT and KoH) and essences!
I'd argue you're right to stick with Obedience over Pride.

In my experience, most Summonmancer damage is
Corpse Explosion
, and to start using CE, you just need 1 or 2 bodies. The merc is the best source of those bodies. Skelly damage is nice, to whittle people down a bit and make CE more consistent, but they're meat shields as much as anything. Merc damage is #1.

The problem with Pride is that it makes a weaker, less reliable merc. The merc's damage is lower to start. Then, Pride has Freezes Target, meaning the merc can shatter bodies, making them unusable. Pride's target blinding effect will also overwrite your
Amplify Damage
, further lowering merc damage. Losing Crushing Blow on top of that is a huge blow. That Pride is expensive makes it all the worse. If you're going to spend HRs on a Summon Merc weapon, I'd say a Breath of the Dying for super damage or Infinity to buff CE is better.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
OP
basicnecromancy wrote: 1 year ago
If you have Enigma, make a Pride IG and problem solved! (Assuming you are Richie Rich) :D

I have Enigma but i frankly can t see why it copes that well with Pride

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress

As I understand the idea, they're referring to the fact that Iron Golems can die easy if you don't have
Teleport
to babysit them/keep them from getting stuck and despawning. If you have Enigma, though, it's really hard to lose a golem. So, you can make an IG out of Pride to give your army the buff aura without castrating your merc, even better since you're giving your merc the aura, and avoid wasting the runes by keeping him alive with Enigma. Still seems risky to me, but it's at least plausible that way.

Winterkill wrote: 1 year ago
As I understand the idea, they're referring to the fact that Iron Golems can die easy if you don't have
Teleport
to babysit them/keep them from getting stuck and despawning. If you have Enigma, though, it's really hard to lose a golem. So, you can make an IG out of Pride to give your army the buff aura without castrating your merc, even better since you're giving your merc the aura, and avoid wasting the runes by keeping him alive with Enigma. Still seems risky to me, but it's at least plausible that way.
In that case, which merc to be used?

Relax and have fun!
OP
I'd argue you're right to stick with Obedience over Pride.

In my experience, most Summonmancer damage is
Corpse Explosion
, and to start using CE, you just need 1 or 2 bodies. The merc is the best source of those bodies. Skelly damage is nice, to whittle people down a bit and make CE more consistent, but they're meat shields as much as anything. Merc damage is #1.

The problem with Pride is that it makes a weaker, less reliable merc. The merc's damage is lower to start. Then, Pride has Freezes Target, meaning the merc can shatter bodies, making them unusable. Pride's target blinding effect will also overwrite your
Amplify Damage
, further lowering merc damage. Losing Crushing Blow on top of that is a huge blow. That Pride is expensive makes it all the worse. If you're going to spend HRs on a Summon Merc weapon, I'd say a Breath of the Dying for super damage or Infinity to buff CE is better.
Yes i think i won t go for Pride after all. First i can t afford it right now, then i love Obedience so much, it is stupidly cheap and for the price it gives you more than everything you need. I love ebotd so much, i equip it (coupled with edeath) on my
Frenzy
axeman barb all my life over Grief, but lacking CB i still prefer Obedience for my necro merc. It might not be the optimal choice in terms of standard damage but for that i am more than satisfied with what i have now, on the other hand running ubers or simply dclone or hell
Baal
with 0 CB in all my army (i use Insight
Iron Golem
) is so painfully long.
About CE, it is quite hard to use it now that you have to exactly target corpses among all the drops and living monster, but since i got my Beast i barely use it to mow down mobs, summons are really doing the job quickly.

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
OP

Teleport
Ah. That's way too ritchie rich for my means, i almost cry when i loose an Insight
Iron Golem
, can't even think about loosing a
Cham
-
Sur
-
Io
-
Lo
golem. And i would still need inifinte mana to spam
Teleport
every fraction of second

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
About CE, it is quite hard to use it now that you have to exactly target corpses among all the drops and living monster, but since i got my Beast i barely use it to mow down mobs, summons are really doing the job quickly.
There's a workaround to this on PC . Hold SHIFT while using CE and it'll grab nearest corpse like the old functionality. Allows you to spam and bypass the surgical precision crap required since 2.4.

OP
There's a workaround to this on PC . Hold SHIFT while using CE and it'll grab nearest corpse like the old functionality. Allows you to spam and bypass the surgical precision crap required since 2.4.
Well THANK YOU SIR! this is really golden information
Playing d2 is getting almost like playing a piano tho

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress

ShadowHeart 1729Moderator

Europe PC
Holy crap, thank you so much, Winterkill!

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Teleport
Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Of course, too risky since it's quite expensive but I can say that after making Enigma I never lost a single IG. However, making an expensive IG means no respec chance without accepting the lose of IG.

And I should add that currently I'm too using Insight IG and by the help of the Beast it doesn't get a scratch even doing Ubers. And yeah, Obedience rules. Just a tip: After merc procs
Fade
from Treachery, swap it with Duress if you do it with Necro. However, even if I heard how easy it is with a Smiter, I couldn't have understand before I made one. Now I use Necro to farm dangerous areas and Ubers with only FoH-Smiter.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...