Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   365 views

Do items have a "seed" that determines runeword stats?

No data yet

Description

The other day, I purchased a 4-socket ethereal
Cryptic Axe

When I put in the runes to create an Infinity, it ended up with the exact same stats as my previous 4-socket ethereal
Cryptic Axe
. The odds of this happening purely by chance is 1 in 781.

My thinking is that if I bought two items duped from the same source, then they would have the same seed and therefore roll the same stats.

So do items have some sort of "seed"?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Cryptic Axe

When I put in the runes to create an Infinity, it ended up with the exact same stats as my previous 4-socket ethereal
Cryptic Axe

My thinking is that if I bought two items duped from the same source, then they would have the same seed and therefore roll the same stats.

Answeredby Schnorki1 week agoGo to post
The real question is..who would bother duping a cryptic axe? :)

But nah, even if it were a dupe, they don't inherently roll the same stats afterwards. If they did, you would've had nothing but "legit-roll-permed" perfect rolls in the olden days as everything was duped anyways so folks would've just duped a "perfect seed" instead. But nope, even within the same "duping session" you got different rolls out of the same stuff.

The same holds true today in that rolling a RW, then getting a random rollback and rolling it again with the same item, same runes, same everything will not yield the same rolls (except of course by pure dumb luck). Actually had that happen to me so I can tell you that with 100% certainty.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

mhlg 870

Americas PC
Lanceor wrote: 1 week ago
Cryptic Axe

Cryptic Axe

I'm guessing you didn't like the roll? A lot of people seem to constantly push for a perfect roll when sometimes good enough is all that's needed. I don't think there's a "seed" that affects the outcome, but I also don't know that as a fact either.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
A 1:781 chance doesn't mean it's impossible. It means that on average, every 781 times anyone reroll their base they'll wind up with the exact same rolls.

And Infinity is an extremely popular runeword to make. The runeword gets crafted likely hundreds of times every single day, so someone is bound to see back-to-back identical rolls.
OP
mhlg wrote: 1 week ago
I'm guessing you didn't like the roll? ..... I don't think there's a "seed" that affects the outcome, but I also don't know that as a fact either.
The roll was actually pretty good so I'm not displeased. It just very coincidental that the first two Infinities that I've ever rolled had identical stats.

I remember in a D2:LoD mod called Median, you could combine a certain quest drop in the
Horadric Cube
to create a powerful item. If you didn't like the rolled stats, restoring an earlier save wouldn't change the result. The only way to get another roll was to re-farm that quest drop.

That's another thing that suggested to me that items may have a hidden seed or ID.

If items had a "seed", there would be no point in rerolling runewords on the same item, and
Hel
runes would have no value
In single player items definately have no seed.

I backuped a char, made a Spirit and used the backup to reroll with other stats.

Take this potion of LUCK

You play in a different language and want to trade an item with the name "Brennender Riesenzauber der Verstümmelung"?
Use the Baaltor tool to translate it into "Burning Grand Charm of Maiming"

M1ck 331

Europe PC
mhlg wrote: 1 week ago
I'm guessing you didn't like the roll? ..... I don't think there's a "seed" that affects the outcome, but I also don't know that as a fact either.
The roll was actually pretty good so I'm not displeased. It just very coincidental that the first two Infinities that I've ever rolled had identical stats.

I remember in a D2:LoD mod called Median, you could combine a certain quest drop in the
Horadric Cube
to create a powerful item. If you didn't like the rolled stats, restoring an earlier save wouldn't change the result. The only way to get another roll was to re-farm that quest drop.

That's another thing that suggested to me that items may have a hidden seed or ID.
I've done something similar only it was CTA. Rolled two identical 6/6/4 with 272 ED, same base
Crystal Sword
. One after the other. I don't think the individual item has a seed, but the game does.

Glitch in the matrix ;0

Ginger has an interesting video about the game seed and predicting outcomes, it's for single player but interesting all the same. I think he's looking into the roll aspect at some point as well.

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
The real question is..who would bother duping a
Cryptic Axe
? :)

But nah, even if it were a dupe, they don't inherently roll the same stats afterwards. If they did, you would've had nothing but "legit-roll-permed" perfect rolls in the olden days as everything was duped anyways so folks would've just duped a "perfect seed" instead. But nope, even within the same "duping session" you got different rolls out of the same stuff.

The same holds true today in that rolling a RW, then getting a random rollback and rolling it again with the same item, same runes, same everything will not yield the same rolls (except of course by pure dumb luck). Actually had that happen to me so I can tell you that with 100% certainty.
This post was marked as the best answer.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 week ago
Cryptic Axe

Good point... why dupe a
Cryptic Axe
when you can dupe the completed runeword instead? I guess your rollback example conclusively proves that the roll on the runeword isn't deterministic based on some seed.

Which means that my Infinity rolls were just freakishly coincidental!

Schnorki wrote: 1 week ago
Cryptic Axe

Good point... why dupe a
Cryptic Axe
when you can dupe the completed runeword instead? I guess your rollback example conclusively proves that the roll on the runeword isn't deterministic based on some seed.

Which means that my Infinity rolls were just freakishly coincidental!
Someone did that and got ban hammered for duping enigmas soon after d2r was released (about 2 months after as I recall)

Come to Hardcore, Embrace the Dread ;)
Please Review my about me post for Ground rules before you make posts in my topics, if these are violated (even in ignorance) the consequence is the same.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation