Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
20 replies   26408 views

Description

Thought this be a fun little story to share as these post tend to be quite popular on reddit ..

Lets first begin with a little introduction of who I am. Consider myself a casual player always aiming towards having fun above all.

I'm not one to ever be greedy and 90% of the time leave items for others to discover.

Well today I joined a 'Act One Walk' lobby with intent of helping out the Party, I do enjoy a good walk

Then someone Died from a Venom Lord, which had to be Chaos

So I look and see someone traveling River to retrieve their body

I decide to go help him out and quickly tele my way to Chaos as he recovers his body

normally I would oppose someone jumping ahead of my own game, but the host didn't seem to mind; or notice

So we continued onwards and almost immediately a
Lo
rune drops

at first I hesitated as usual, I am one to let stuff like that fly and let others prosper

But sorta felt compelled to grab it cause as said before, if it was my game; I'd be annoyed by this guy

he first says "man, I needed that" which almost made me feel bad into giving it to him

but during my contemplations he began a more negative attitude trying to say

I'm just a bum leeching off other peoples kills cause I can't do it alone

I had nothing to say back and needless to say, kept the
Lo
rune for myself

Annnd just for funzees joined a max player cow run only to Solo Chaos under 2 minutes

So what you guys think? am I the A-hole for running into someones Farm and grabbing the only notable drop?

Or was this simple finders keepers fair and square welcome to diablo just another day to soon forget?

I'd like to hear your thoughts or perhaps even your own "am I the A-hole" story
Description by Soultego

Can be used to make Runewords:

Thought this be a fun little story to share as these post tend to be quite popular on reddit ..

Lets first begin with a little introduction of who I am. Consider myself a casual player always aiming towards having fun above all.

I'm not one to ever be greedy and 90% of the time leave items for others to discover.

Well today I joined a 'Act One Walk' lobby with intent of helping out the Party, I do enjoy a good walk

Then someone Died from a Venom Lord, which had to be Chaos

So I look and see someone traveling River to retrieve their body

I decide to go help him out and quickly tele my way to Chaos as he recovers his body

normally I would oppose someone jumping ahead of my own game, but the host didn't seem to mind; or notice

So we continued onwards and almost immediately a
Lo
rune drops

at first I hesitated as usual, I am one to let stuff like that fly and let others prosper

But sorta felt compelled to grab it cause as said before, if it was my game; I'd be annoyed by this guy

he first says "man, I needed that" which almost made me feel bad into giving it to him

but during my contemplations he began a more negative attitude trying to say

I'm just a bum leeching off other peoples kills cause I can't do it alone

I had nothing to say back and needless to say, kept the
Lo
rune for myself

Annnd just for funzees joined a max player cow run only to Solo Chaos under 2 minutes

So what you guys think? am I the A-hole for running into someones Farm and grabbing the only notable drop?

Or was this simple finders keepers fair and square welcome to diablo just another day to soon forget?

I'd like to hear your thoughts or perhaps even your own "am I the A-hole" story

All Trades are Negotiable. Long Live
Nihlathak
Everything is fair game…
For ur situation, as long as you saw the
Lo
rune first and intended on picking it up already, u shouldnt feel bad about it; however, if the other person saw the
Lo
rune first and rushed to the
Lo
rune first before you, but u realized that a
Lo
rune dropped afterwards and teleported to it n snatched it up, then yeah that would be an “ass*** move”.

Can trade on PC or SWITCH

TheDoo 214

Europe PC
Don't think you are an a-hole if this happens rarely. He might have needed it more than you but also everyone needs everything all the time it ends up being just the self-awareness and humbleness of people that tips the scales. All in all, you gotta do something for yourself sometimes -- that's not being selfish it's actually showing a self-respect.

However, I, as well, try to stay off of high value loot when I join other people's games especially because I was on the other end many times and some of them I was being left with a bitter taste of someone intentionally "snatching" everything before you or doing quests solo just so they can 'ruin your fun'.

Rule of a thumb tho (whether you created or joined a lobby): Ask nicely when people/you join about whatever your intentions are so you can avoid ambiguousness. That's the least you can do, everything else falls on individualism (if someone wants to be an a-hole they will be no matter what but same goes the opposite way)! :)

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
ahole
All's fair. I've had both situations - taken from my me and taken by others in both visited and self-made games. Remember, it's our favourite game but it's just that...a game. Just do something useful with the
Lo
, that will lead to regret if wasted.
OP
d2rppa69 wrote: 1 month ago
Everything is fair game…
For ur situation, as long as you saw the
Lo
rune first and intended on picking it up already, u shouldnt feel bad about it; however, if the other person saw the
Lo
rune first and rushed to the
Lo
rune first before you, but u realized that a
Lo
rune dropped afterwards and teleported to it n snatched it up, then yeah that would be an “ass*** move”.
It dropped right at my feet and from my own kill. he was probably half a screen distance away.

Ironically it was like he was trying to run ahead for 1st drops leaving some monsters behind

Nihlathak
Soultego wrote: 1 month ago
It dropped right at my feet and from my own kill. he was probably half a screen distance away.
It's a public game, you made the kill, and you were the closest. I can't see any reason it's not yours unless there was an agreement beforehand. I think that he was upset for having missed it by a whisker.

From your story, it sounds like without your assistance, he wouldn't have been able to recover his body and wouldn't have been able to get that
Lo
anyway.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

Lanceor wrote: 1 month ago
Soultego wrote: 1 month ago
It's a public game, you made the kill, and you were the closest. I can't see any reason it's not yours unless there was an agreement beforehand. I think that he was upset for having missed it by a whisker.

From your story, it sounds like without your assistance, he wouldn't have been able to recover his body and wouldn't have been able to get that
Lo
anyway.
I agree completely mate. He (hard done by) may think author is lower than a cut snake but it's just the way the game plays out, you know?

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Imo, you are indeed the ahole. Just not for the reason you're thinking.
As is he btw.

He's an ass for wrecking the later half of someone's progression game with his egotistical farming of CS/Diablo.
He's kind of a sad ass actually for calling someone out based on "you can't do it alone!" after he somehow managed to die to a measly Venom lord.
Being an ass, he deserves to have all loot snatched from him (and to not get help with body recovery for that matter).

You however are still kind of an ass imo as you effectively assisted not (just) in his recovery but in his wrecking of said later half of a clearly labeled progression game. Treating an ass like an ass is just karma. Joining an ass in asshole things at the expense of the host and everyone with him however..is being an ass.
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
He's an ass for wrecking the later half of someone's progression game with his egotistical farming of CS/Diablo.
You however are still kind of an ass imo as you effectively assisted not (just) in his recovery but in his wrecking of said later half of a clearly labeled progression game.
A little harsh, but I get where you're coming from. It's unlikely these Act 1 players are going to get to Act 4 within the same game, but I supposed there's always the possibility of someone coming along to rush them.

If OP and the Venom Lord guy were farming
Andariel
, then yeah, that would definitely be a dick move.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Lanceor wrote: 4 weeks ago
[..]
A little harsh, but I get where you're coming from. It's unlikely these Act 1 players are going to get to Act 4 within the same game, but I supposed there's always the possibility of someone coming along to rush them.
[..]
The "unlikely" part is kind of the thing that really makes it such a dick move though. Generally speaking (in my experience), folks make progression games (especially the 'non-rush' kind) labeled by the act they're starting in. Quite regularly, you then get a bunch of leechers/afkers joining who try to get carried through quests, along with every so often some ahole off to farm meph, dia and whatnot.

Now, if that run falls apart due to leechers/afkers anyways, the ahole doesn't matter too much, despite still being an ahole for actively and knowingly bricking possible progression.

But in those cases where the game fills mostly with actual active players who contribute, more often than not those runs try to progress well beyond the labeled starting act and to go through all of it as everyone in there knows how rare it is to get a decent group. If that group then falls apart because some ahole bricked the progression quests with their farming, knowing how hard/unlikely it is to get a decent group in a new game (we all know the "let's meet in game xyz and continue there!" pretty much never works) that's just a total dick move. And that's the very real chance you are intentionally and knowingly taking when you decide to brick someone's progression game.

Split farm games exist for a reason. Anyone who avoids those in favor of bricking random people's progression games (with not even any real comparative benefit to themselves mind you) is being an ass. Simple as that. Yes, it'd all be a lot easier if blizz finally added a long overdue online /p8 option but them failing doesn't make others less of an ass.

(There's obv far worse things one can do in life/in D2:R and ways to be far more of an ass but that's besides the point..'tis a rather broad spectrum)
This website is the closest thing to social media i do - including playing online. I’ve found that when playing online ~75% of people drop their social intelligence to that of a toddler. You’re playing the game as it’s intended to be played - its not worth the stress

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Nate2.0 wrote: 4 weeks ago
This website is the closest thing to social media i do [..]
And here I was, thinking I was the only one left who refuses to endure participating in all that... :D
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago

You however are still kind of an ass imo as you effectively assisted not (just) in his recovery but in his wrecking of said later half of a clearly labeled progression game. Treating an ass like an ass is just karma. Joining an ass in asshole things at the expense of the host and everyone with him however..is being an ass.
I'm in total agreement with you minus the me being the a-hole part haha

As previously mentioned. as a host, I too would be annoyed if someone jumps ahead and kills bosses even when it's
Baal
on a Act One Walk.

However over time I've learned to accept this is just part of the game and people doing what they can to help themselves, even at the expense of others. Regardless, still annoying.

But again, nobody was complaining so I made the assumption the host didn't care or mind. I was going where I felt needed most and just trying to have some fun

Instantly destroying everything on screen with
Teeth
wasn't as fun and sure not fun at all for the walking party, kind of another reason I stayed in Chaos

In Middle of the Chaos run one of the Walking party members died and I asked if they needed help which got replied with "No"

Honestly, even tho I went to help the guy. There was a small part of me that wanted to spoil his MFing just because I agree, it was a dikk move

So that's why I grabbed that
Lo
rune. But overall, I wasn't there with any malicious intent. I only wanted to help others and he seemed to need it more

Another thing is I'm old school, back when they had dedicated servers. where it was common for everyone to be scampering everywhere in a single lobby but I digress

There was no way of me stopping him from killing Diablo, but perhaps I've done the next best thing and that was taking the best drop of the run

We wasn't the only ones MFing the Lobby either. Someone was doing Cows and another was running
Baal
. So it just kinda felt like a SplitMF open lobby

All that in mind made me feel comfortable enough to go ahead and help clear out Chaos instead of trying to give a lecture on why players need to stop Jamming quest lines

But if I'm still the a-hole then oh well. Tis what it is. I'm just here trying to have fun in a video game and I do always consider others in these kinds of regards

It was a one time situation that will likely never happen again as I am not one to partake in such affairs, but if this does occur again

I will be more out-spoken of the situation to gain the blessings of the players if need be to erase any doubts or feelings of being the a-hole

Cheers everyone and appreciate all your thoughts and responses. I slept fine last night, so that sums up how I felt about it haha

Nihlathak
The way I see it, unless there's a specific, explicit request from the host when you join, such as "I'm doing Chaos, you do anything else you want" or "you can leech while I kill, but drops in this area are mine," any loot is up for grabs.
I think you folks covered his story so I'm going to chime in with my own "Am I the A-Hole" story.
=========================================================
Last night I was doing pub TZ Chaos runs and I noticed someone died in one of the early alleys in Chaos. I went over to clear the mob away so he could get his body and announced it clear. I didn't realize that somehow our group left a pack alive in the first open area, which was between the TP and his body. So when he went to retrieve his body he died again.

So my bad. I didn't clear it all the way to the TP, and I didn't set a closer TP (it was my TP at the start, and I only carry 4 on
Belt
, and was TP'ing for the group). I was just not taking into account that we might have left something that far back.

Anyway, he got pissed. Instead of asking for more help he left the game and came back, losing the experience (2x), and then went hostile and ultimately scuttled the run (why do people leave so fast? People should band together to kill the hostile IMHO).

We remade the run and it ultimately recovered in 5 min or so, but I felt bad for leading him astray. Anyway, am I the A-hole?
Was the person who died at the Venom lord part of the walking group? Or was he/she farming ahead of the main walking group?

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
OP
departure wrote: 4 weeks ago

So my bad. I didn't clear it all the way to the TP, and I didn't set a closer TP
I say that's on him for choosing to not turn back and ask for a closer TP when encountering more monsters. it wasn't to your knowledge they was there and tho maybe a bit of an oversight. making mistakes doesn't make anyone an a-hole imo
Knappogue wrote: 4 weeks ago
Was the person who died at the Venom lord part of the walking group? Or was he/she farming ahead of the main walking group?
Not part of; The Walking group was in DarkWood to Rescue Cain Quest

Nihlathak

Rik 132

Americas PC
It’s all fair game in dog eat dog public games concerning drops. Strategic positioning for the drops is part of the fun. It used to annoy me when low levels would try to steal my drops on cow games while I did the killing until I started playing in a way that got them surrounded and killed to deter them from following close and using my power as a shield for their parasitism. That is fun.

You are not a d&$@ for taking a
Lo
on a kill you made. As far as helping someone scalping public walk games, I have mixed feelings, but the rng gods bestowed you
Lo
for your service and heroism. Being in favor of the gods of d2r, how can we mortals judge you as anything but righteous? ;p

Congrats on the
Lo
. Go socket it in a and offer it back to him 😜
departure wrote: 4 weeks ago
I think you folks covered his story so I'm going to chime in with my own "Am I the A-Hole" story.
=========================================================
Last night I was doing pub TZ Chaos runs and I noticed someone died in one of the early alleys in Chaos. I went over to clear the mob away so he could get his body and announced it clear. I didn't realize that somehow our group left a pack alive in the first open area, which was between the TP and his body. So when he went to retrieve his body he died again.

So my bad. I didn't clear it all the way to the TP, and I didn't set a closer TP (it was my TP at the start, and I only carry 4 on
Belt
, and was TP'ing for the group). I was just not taking into account that we might have left something that far back.

Anyway, he got pissed. Instead of asking for more help he left the game and came back, losing the experience (2x), and then went hostile and ultimately scuttled the run (why do people leave so fast? People should band together to kill the hostile IMHO).

We remade the run and it ultimately recovered in 5 min or so, but I felt bad for leading him astray. Anyway, am I the A-hole?
NTAH. I've always played with the notion that "clear" meant either the TP and/or your body and the immediate vicinity was no longer hot. Not the path from TP to body. Too many different routes to clear, and monsters move around. This guy that you tried to help reminds me of the people who join "free junk" games and then are spamming "not enough" "help me" once you've offloaded everything.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation