Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
19 replies   1031 views

Description

Hi,
On one of my chars from the "old ages" of early 2000s I have a grand charm of maiming at +25 maximum damage and +62 attack rating. From reading the charms guides, "sharp" and "maiming" would give a maximum of 14 (10 from sharp and 4 from maiming) to the maximum damage.
Question: Were charms rolled/calculated differently in the old days?
(It's a single player char, so I can't have obtained it from online/trading.)
Cheers!

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi,
On one of my chars from the "old ages" of early 2000s I have a grand charm of maiming at +25 maximum damage and +62 attack rating. From reading the charms guides, "sharp" and "maiming" would give a maximum of 14 (10 from sharp and 4 from maiming) to the maximum damage.
Question: Were charms rolled/calculated differently in the old days?
(It's a single player char, so I can't have obtained it from online/trading.)
Cheers!

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
No clue about your specific charm but as a general note, if you go back far enough, there's a few examples of "broken" items having legitimately spawned in a way that shouldn't have been possible under normal, expected circumstances, thanks to certain bugs, oversights and/or stars aligning to the point of making some really weird things happen by breaking through "never expected this to happen!" fallback-mechanisms.

The original occi ring if I remember correctly was one example of that and actually legit dropped off meph for someone, thanks to hitting every "reroll
Cap
" there was among other things within the same kill which then ended up merging two items into one.
(Was it occi ring? Not sure anymore after this long but there was some insane meph-drop-fusion, I def. remember that much)

That sort of thing was mostly addressed afaik and should largely no longer be possible (and was astronomically rare in the past to begin with) though I do believe a couple theoretical scenarios that could make "broken stuff" happen still exist.

But yeah, under normal circumstances, it should be 14 max + 76 AR at the most.
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
The original occi ring if I remember correctly was one example of that and actually legit dropped off meph for someone, thanks to hitting every "reroll
Cap
" there was among other things within the same kill which then ended up merging two items into one
Without doing any googling, i thought this was a bugged item and was not droppable and was fused by users?

I remember owning occy rings, wizspike gloves, and other crazy uniques during that time.

Good to know it was actually a bug in the gamecode that allowed the fusion of these items…

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
OP
Nice. Thanks for the answers! I'll happily keep using it :)
d2rppa69 wrote: 1 month ago
Good to know it was actually a bug in the gamecode that allowed the fusion of these items…
It depends on the item. Meph bug was only one of the possible sources of bugged items.
i was certain they were all hacked items, since all the hacked items came at the same time as any of the 'claimed bugged items' came, would be very strange for bugged items to come in the same time frame the hacked items came, and not before or after, im not saying that there wasnt any bugged drops, but i doubt oculus ring was a bugged drop, all of a sudden there were many oculus rings and buriza armors and so on.

edit, checked the site you linked, it says in the description that oculus ring was not a bugged drop.

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Illusions wrote: 1 month ago
... all of a sudden there were many oculus rings and buriza armors and so on ...
As already noted initially, couldn't remember if occi ring was one of them (turns out 20 years is a long time - and even back then it was hard to be 100% sure of anything in that regard ^^) but there being many isn't an argument against it. Everything worth anything was immediately duped to hell and back in those days, regardless of whether the initial drop was a normal item, a "legit drop" bugged item or something specifically created/"hacked" via bug/exploit abuse.

Plus that site actually makes no sense in that regard either. Their argument of "conclusive proof" is that there was different ones between the different realms which doesn't really say anything about anything inherently. And more so, their text describing that argument and the difference doesn't even match their own screenshot of it. So...yeah...a bit "right...pot, meet kettle" for a site immediately describing disagreeing info as "ignorant people".

Aaaanyways...regardless of which item came to be by which means, the point remains simply that back in the olden days, a whole bunch of stuff was possible - be that intentionally via exploits or accidentally via unexpected legit mechanics - that resulted in a number of items you (hopefully ^^) will never see in D2:R.

Though if it were, it begs the question...what fused unique would be the ultimate GG drop?
Wizspike gloves are a pretty hot contender I dare say. Or perhaps a WF ring on the physical side. :)

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Shako
Griffon seems not too shabby neither :) especially if you keep the Griffon look :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Necrarch wrote: 1 month ago
Shako
Griffon seems not too shabby neither :) especially if you keep the Griffon look :)
Well, the result was the stats of one rolled into the slot of another so
Shako
/griffon's would still just be a
Shako
(or a griffon's, whichever), merely with adjusted requirements/looks. The stats themselves didn't fuse/combine.

Though the looks would sell me on the idea...<any solid headpiece> rolled into kira's, then upped...yes plz! :D
but there being many isn't an argument against it
thats true, but all the 'hacked' items came at the same time, and occy ring + buriza armor came in the same timeframe, i dont remember all the (bugged / hacked) items, but the hacked items came all at once in the same timeframe like in the same week/month, im guessing bugged items would just randomly come over time and not in the same week/month.

Occy ring + Buriza armor + others came in the same timeframe / week-month when i first heard about the hacked items.
thats true, but all the 'hacked' items came at the same time, and occy ring + buriza armor came in the same timeframe,
Careful making blanket statements like 'all'. Maybe that's just when you started noticing it? Fused uniques were different than hacked items. Occy ring was hacked, buriza armor was a fused unique. Fused uniques were duped to high hell though, however the original copy was spawned naturally (without external software). Most of the time, these fused uniques were a result of a weird quirk in game drop table mechanics (meph's being the biggest culprit), but needed legit astronomical odds of happening. Essentially meph had a limit to the number of uniques he could drop (I think originally 3, then it was bumped to 6 ? not sure anymore), but each item stilled rolled to see if it was unique/set/rare/etc. If more uniques rolled than he was allowed to drop you got a 'fused unique'; where the stats of one unique were fused to the base of another unique. These were legitimate drops.

There were multiple ways to hack items, some used software to create stale references objects and caused a buffer overrun which would result odd game code execution. There was even a time when closed bnet characters (offline) could be in the same game as open bnet (online) characters. Hacking software was very common for single player. You get what happens next.

There is some speculation that the same software that was used to make those stale reference objects, was also used to dupe items. Maybe that's why you remember them becoming prevelant at the same time? Fused items were duped, but they were around before hacked items. There were just so astronomically rare (prior to the dupes) they were only stuff of legends.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
Though if it were, it begs the question...what fused unique would be the ultimate GG drop?
Some proposals:
  • Eschuta's Fathom - one weapon for all sorceress builds
  • Highlord's Kaleidoscope - all-around amulet for every build
  • Stone of Bul-Kathos - ring, as above. For more "symmetry" add mana leech.
  • Hellfire Annihilus - an endgame charm with plenty of stat points, so you can spend literally all points into vita. For ultimate destruction replace 'Firestorm on striking' with 'Diablogeddon when equipped'.

Some fused runewords (there were such bugged items as well):
  • Chains of Enigma - all skills AND all res AND str AND Teleport! Whoa!
  • Heart of Grief - ultimate weapon for both casters and melee builds.
  • Dragon's Dream - so you can play Dreamdin and Dragondin at the same time.

... and purely for fun:
Knappogue wrote: 1 month ago
Careful making blanket statements like 'all'. Maybe that's just when you started noticing it
i was very active in playing/trading back then so i have a pretty good idea when all the hacked items came when i was playing d2 classic, and by all i mean the hacked items, not the bugged items, the bugged items i doubt came within the same week/month.

Duping was an ongoing problem, didnt happen just at one certain time, i think one way of duping was by making game crash and that would reset everything in that game, so if i was to join the game and take all the items from another player, and then leave thus saving those items in my stash, and the other player then somehow make the game crash, he would get all his original items back because it reset everyone that would be in the game when it crashed, also meant if you found something in the game it would be lost in a crash since it reset characters with what they entered the game with, except if you leave the game before it crash.
one way of duping was by making game crash and that would reset everything in that game
I remember that. A screen full of Bone Walls hit by a
Meteor
would overload the server with too many damage tics and crash it.

And then the "fix" made things even worse... whenever there were too many damage tics, everyone would be kicked from the game. Unfortunately, all it took was your
Hellfire Torch
proccing
Firestorm
twice in a row.

Also, if you entered too many games too quickly, you'd be temp banned for half an hour or so. A few of those
Hellfire Torch
kicks were enough to make that happen.

Frustrating times indeed.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

ShadowHeart 1743Moderator

Europe PC
Lanceor wrote: 1 month ago
... whenever there were too many damage tics, everyone would be kicked from the game. Unfortunately, all it took was your
Hellfire Torch
proccing
Firestorm
twice in a row.

Also, if you entered too many games too quickly, you'd be temp banned for half an hour or so. A few of those
Hellfire Torch
kicks were enough to make that happen.
If that's true, that's like... the worst game design ever? Put an item in the game, an item that everyone wants, but if you use it you risk being temp banned... for basically simply using it?!

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3182Moderator

PC
Might've been a performance thing? I can't remember ever being kicked out/breaking a game via torch procs.

Bone Wall
spam on the other hand..that was def. a thing to cause game-fails. ^^

The temp ban mechanic is actually still there (I believe?), merely adjusting to server load now as that's the main point of it. Not sure if there's any active threshold atm but I feel like in earlier D2:R there was a 2(?) minute temp-lock if you switched too often too quickly.
Might've been a performance thing? I can't remember ever being kicked out/breaking a game via torch procs.
It would depend on the attack speed. A Strafeazon (3 frames) could trigger it pretty reliably, but my Zealot (4 frames) never did.

I'm glad to report that I haven't had a temp ban in D2R yet, even with consecutive sub 1-minute farming runs.

Lanceor wrote: 1 month ago
I'm glad to report that I haven't had a temp ban in D2R yet, even with consecutive sub 1-minute farming runs.
I've been temp-banned on xbox a couple of times in D2R. Usually when I'm muling stuff around after lots of runs. It seems to happen when I'm creating lots of games with different characters and not when creating games with the same characters. Could be that the xbox D2R servers are not as robust as their PC counter parts?

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
Knappogue wrote: 1 month ago
I've been temp-banned on xbox a couple of times in D2R. Usually when I'm muling stuff around after lots of runs. It seems to happen when I'm creating lots of games with different characters and not when creating games with the same characters. Could be that the xbox D2R servers are not as robust as their PC counter parts?
I have no idea how much it takes to triggers it. Maybe the limits are more generous in the off-peak hours that I'm usually playing, or maybe I'm just lucky. :shrugs:

Maybe it was pre-patch torches (1.11 when they were first implemented, nerfed in 1.12 IIRC) that had 25% CtC
Firestorm
instead of 5% so it went off way more often.

On the topic of torch I actually removed the
Firestorm
altogether in my mod cause I find even the 5% proc to be an annoying bright shower of particles. xP

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...