Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
24 replies   3019 views

Should we name and shame private low ball offers who clearly are trying to take advantage.

No data yet

Description

So I recently came back online and found that I had a nice skiller put it up online without knowing the real value and got a private offer for 1
Ist
by someone who's got 275+ sales and are even trading HR so I'd say they're not ignorant unlike me.

After a few posts online and putting it up on Traderie as well I ended up getting 2
Ber
for it. As happy as I am it did leave me with a bitter taste considering how unsavoury and dishonest some people can be.

Should we share this kind of info - On the plus side create a much fairer honest market place - on the down side I'd hate for someone to get hate for an honest mistake.

FYI I'm a very casual player. Lucky if I get 5 hours a week.

Can be used to make Runewords:

So I recently came back online and found that I had a nice skiller put it up online without knowing the real value and got a private offer for 1
Ist
by someone who's got 275+ sales and are even trading HR so I'd say they're not ignorant unlike me.

After a few posts online and putting it up on Traderie as well I ended up getting 2
Ber
for it. As happy as I am it did leave me with a bitter taste considering how unsavoury and dishonest some people can be.

Should we share this kind of info - On the plus side create a much fairer honest market place - on the down side I'd hate for someone to get hate for an honest mistake.

FYI I'm a very casual player. Lucky if I get 5 hours a week.
At least you got something decent lucky. I was just scammed a
Ber
20/19/3sc and
Vex
for griffon today that was all my good stuff gone in one trade. I should of double checked.
OP
Oh man... I'm sorry to hear =(
Some time ago I created my signature just because of people like these. Not much you can do, apart from making your own research into things.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
My opinion: a facility to name and shame can and will be weaponised by unscrupulous people and will end up doing more harm than good.

IMHO intentional lowball offers are rude and a waste of everyone's time. I'd also say they're borderline dishonest when used on an obvious newbie. But in a free market, a buyer is within their rights to offer whatever they want, just as the seller is free to ask any price they want.

While a habitual lowballer will sometimes land themselves an incredible "deal", the damage to their reputation harms them in the long run. They miss out on repeat business which provides a stream of quick and hassle-free trades. Instead they have to work to make every single sale from scratch, forever finding new buyers who are unaware of or willing to overlook their shady reputation.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +11.

If you remember that guy after some time, that is. I also had some offers where I thought that this is just rude to make an offer like that, but well, that's why I have this website open when I casually to some random trading ingame to have a quick checking possibility to see what's possible. On this site itself, I luckily never had this "pleasure".

But funny that you mention traderie. I've made an account there too and experienced that there the prices look slightly higher there overall. I tried it with the option to not set the price first but ask to place an offer. I sold two items there that I also had listed here and both times I got offered more than I asked for here. Coincidence? Hmm. But on the other hand, I'm not only a seller but also a buyer, so buying cheaper here flats this one out, I guess.

and while mentioning the rival site traderie here, I just need to say that I like this site here much more, it's way more comfortable to use. :)

Feel free to make alternative offers. Runes or
Perfect Gems
are always welcome.
If you agree with my price suggestion, add me on BattleNet.
Use the price check feature here. Market research! It isnt their fault for trying to get the best deal.

Necrarch 1569Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Hey,

As a general rule, offers should be put in thread.

As for myself, I occasionnally use PMs when someone does not respond in thread.

As for lowballing, squelch is the right way to deal with such users, not public shaming.

Be nice, don't do that to newcomers, they usually genuinely have no idea of the prices and the rune values (a few days ago read a post where a new guy said 20
Ist
= 10
Gul
= 5
Vex
=
Lo
+
Vex
. Well, not quite ^^)

FInally, as for Traderie seems that prices are usually higher on pretty much everything AND some people artificially make high trades to value more their stuff. Don't mean to criticize, did a few trades there also. :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Bojack wrote: 10 months ago
Use the price check feature here. Market research! It isnt their fault for trying to get the best deal.
Yes and no. Of course everyone should try to be aware of the real market price (I'm always doing that, especially when doing trades ingame) - though it's not always easy, thanks to the different prices here and on traderie, just to name one problem in comparing prices.

I think what we are talking about here are massive discrepancies. Of course everyone wants to make a good deal for himself, but there is a fine line between making a somewhat cheap offer or totally trying to rip someone off.

Feel free to make alternative offers. Runes or
Perfect Gems
are always welcome.
If you agree with my price suggestion, add me on BattleNet.

Schnorki 3147Moderator

PC
Public shaming in general is not something we want to see here.

Specifically with regards to lowballing though, keep in mind that that is inherently very subjective and dependent on where you get your data.
If you look at different D2:R economies (in-game, here, traderie, that there annoying FG place, ...), it is by no means unusual to have them differ sometimes to extreme degrees. Not "
Ist
here,
Gul
there" but literally "
Ist
here,
Vex
there, 2
Ber
there". That's not to say that 2
Ber
extreme ever sells (though eventually, someone will fall for it I guess) but traderie in general seems to have just bonkers-inflated asking prices from everything I've seen there. In-game tends to be the cheapest route (by a landslide, compared to that). While here tends to be somewhere in the middle but typically quite a bit closer to the in-game side than to the traderie side. Exceptions obviously apply but in general that's been my experience. FG crap I wouldn't know in detail..feels like that's always more expensive but everytime some rando joins my game to argue with FG I just leave so mweh.

With that in mind, if someone trades in-game and here, they would - assuming they want to be fair about it - likely do what I tend to do on normal offers: start at the mid-range of in-game pricing and potentially bid up to the high end of it. That tends to often be equivalent to starting at the normal lower end here and going to mid or high mid. Beyond that, said person would simply go back to in-game and get it for half instead..there's only so much more you'll pay for added convenience.

At the same time, if someone uses traderie asking prices as a source, they'd probably call all of the above a massive lowball and start wanting to shame people for offering what is otherwise perfectly normal pricing.

The whole thing gets more obfuscated as you do have what seems to be a lot more overlap in cross-site-trading than there used to be (probably just more folks snatching arbitrage..or trying to..) which does occasionally give you traderie-style pricing here or even in-game.

Plus you do also occasionally have folks (like myself) who just need this one stupid thing and they want it as fast as possible (or want a combination of things and are too lazy to get each individually) and end up knowingly overpaying significantly. Hell, I've done multiple "need these 3 things asap plz!" trades where I knowingly paid 2-3 times of what it'd normally be worth just to save me the time searching. Or done the same thing for things that just don't get traded that much (say you get 1-2 listings a week and I want one today..happy to overpay at that point).
That sort of thing doesn't make any of the other offers prior to mine lowballs. It makes the seller lucky because I actively overpaid.

So speaking as both, a "lowballer" and an overpayer...there's a VERY large range of valid pricing overall, especially when you consider more than one market. And what extremes of that range are normal vs lowballing vs overpaying are quite obfuscated and seemingly subjective. None of that is in any way a valid basis to call folks out on.
As a seller/buyer, it is up to you to educate yourself and figure out what you yourself deem a fair range for what's being traded. If offers fall outside that range, move on. If not, go for it. Done. And if you're too new to comfortably do that..that's what the price check forum is for.

Necrarch 1569Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Finally, remember that even if you sold a bit low some time, at least you sold. ;)

I prefer doing 3 trades at 3 perfect amethysts each than doing only 1 for 4 (I only sell what I don't need, so can never impact me negatively) :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Teebling 5798Admin

Europe PC
Just squelch and move on.

Necrarch wrote: 10 months ago
Finally, remember that even if you sold a bit low some time, at least you sold. ;)

I prefer doing 3 trades at 3 perfect amethysts each than doing only 1 for 4 (I only sell what I don't need, so can never impact me negatively) :)
this... big +1 !
At the end of the day, we're trading pixels for other pixels. Keep that in mind, and it will be harder for a low-baller to mess up your day.

mhlg 809

Americas PC
Should we name and shame private low ball offers who clearly are trying to take advantage.

No, just move on and never trade with them again.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
Yeah, but at least, they made a clear and public offer. Too low or not, it is up to you.

I just hate it when I got a deal to sell item for
Ber
then got a private message for
Ber
+
Mal

Relax and have fun!
And there is another thing: trolling because someone is not happy what you want to get.

A few days ago one user who has "plenty to say" here (forum level 0, he clearly is here for trading only) made a trollish comment in my trade, it was VIRTUALLY THE BEST base for Infinity so as we know it is not cheap. However I did state I was flexible.

Well I sold it elsewhere for tons of
Ber
runes :)

Schnorki 3147Moderator

PC
Kriss_De_Valnor_ wrote: 10 months ago
And there is another thing: trolling because someone is not happy what you want to get.

A few days ago one user who has "plenty to say" here (forum level 0, he clearly is here for trading only) made a trollish comment in my trade, it was VIRTUALLY THE BEST base for Infinity so as we know it is not cheap. However I did state I was flexible.

Well I sold it elsewhere for tons of
Ber
runes :)
Went ahead and looked that one up, had me curious.

I'll let it slide for him since you went and deleted the whole thing before it turned into "full on/real trolling" (and because it seemed to be an isolated occurrence at least) but generally speaking (goes for everyone), if someone fills your trades with random unwanted side discussions, rather than actual trading, feel free to report them and we'll take care of it. Disagreeing with someone's asking price is not a green light for trolling their trades.

Side note:
That wasn't the best base for Infinity! :P
(albeit certainly far up there and indeed worth more than just a
Ber
or two - glad you seem to have found a solid deal for it in the end)
Shaming and pointing finger at lowballers wont fix anything. Lets be honest here.

We all wants the best price regardless of a buyer or seller. We just want the best deal for ourself.

For me, if I see something i like, i will try to offet as low as possible? Then we go from tbere, depends on how many ppl bid or takr part on that said items.

Unless you have unlimited high rune funds, no one is going to go out and say “ xx
Jah
or cx
Ber
” for your item unless it is an item that has been traded alot and well known, then yee, someone lowballer you, you can block or call them out for lowballing?

But for items that are obscure or not highly visible or super rare, the prices can range from nothing to alot, so I wouldnt be surprised if someone offers you little to nothing on the said item, hence refer to what I mentioned in 1st paragraph

I would only shame ppl who are dishonest (who lies) and scammers.

Getting the best deals isnt dishonest and scamming(to me anyway)

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
Ber
was for
Jah
or
Jah
+ x,that was the dominant demand. Now
Jah
is for
Ber
+ x,so should we blame for the older traders? Of course we don't, the market is still evolving and don't forget it is just a game. There are many players gave away their items for free.

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Born with a heart of Steel

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...