Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
10 replies   3663 views

Description

Hey y’all, if your anything like me you only want to use those perfect 5/5 facets, yet your jewel mule is filling up with those lesser ones - the 5/3s, 4/4s and 4/5s. 3/3s and 3/4s just go back on the Ground amiright?!

Anyways I’ve also acquired a few extra 5os rune masters - again not good enough to use, but too good to just leave on the floor.

Rune Master
is a weird Beast, it’s got cbf, so that super useful, and while you could load it up with 40/15s, and it’d be crazy awesome… those are either super rare or super expensive. The best I’ve ever found was a 38/15 which I put in my druids reaper’s toll (though I nearly never play him).

So what to do? Can’t give it to a merc, I tried once to balance one for my
Frenzy
barb with some ed jewels and a
Shael
or 2… it turned out meh. What if that approach is all wrong, what if it’s secretly a
Caster Weapon
?!

What if you filled it with facets?! Or just bulk it up with crazy rare charms… could it be a a great stat stick that can also double as a weapon if needed?

No, no that’s crazy, no skills!

Well a decent caster is already looking at probably +15-20 to their main skills from all their other gear, so not an insignificant loss but also not a deal breaker. And a physical damage character isn’t super dependant on +skills anyways.

It’s still crazy, no fcr!

Again, a decent caster will be making 20 from
Helm
, 10 from amulet, say 30 from Spirit, 20 from arachnids, 30 from skin of vipermagi. Or 35 from Spirit, 20 from gloves if using Enigma. Boom 105, next

Well the strength requirme - stop! It’s less than a
Monarch
…which your already wearing

Surely other options then give better -en res or better +skills damage!

Kinda, take eschutas Temper, amazing* on a
Nova
sorc: +3 skills, 40 fcr, +20 fire/lightning damage and even a socket! *(not that amazing as it turns out, but humour me - I meant to say
Fireball
sorc).

Rune masters answer: the +3 skills gives like +10% to the main skills damage while also boosting mastery giving a total of ~+50% skill damage but only -5 en res. While a maxed out
Rune Master
gives +25 skill damage and -25 en res … as we know negative en res is close to double* the effectiveness of +skills damage. *in most situations. And you’re still making 105 fcr with your other gear, unless you play the 200 fcr variant, in which case… you win.

Now what about Crescent Moon on a Tesladin?
Um
yea this is where it gets crazy…and I need some help testing this. Not only will your melee attack damage gain an obscene amount of lightning damage (like 5-370, even with 3/3 facets), but also it increases the effectiveness of the tick damage…again by an insane amount. The stacked auras count like a level 30
Holy Shock
aura hitting twice, so even with 3/3 facets, that’s like +30% tick damage, and also with negative resists even more craziness… what sets this apart from a 6os
Phase Blade
for me is the cbf. Free of the
Raven Frost
! Could add a nagel, bk ring, or something weird like a
Carrion Wind
. Sure you’d have to repair it fairly often, it’s not casting
Static Field
every now and then and it’s not that fast, but… with the increased damage and everything else considered it’s still intriguing.

Could be a consideration for a cold sorc, don’t need fcr for orb or blizzard, and while -cold res isn’t as important, even with all 3/3s it still competes with Death’s fathom, and Voice of Reason, not so much a Doom, but I don’t have a spare
Cham
Lo
and
Ohm
rune sitting around taking up stash space.

I also use a
Lem
filled one on my gold find barb over a 6
Lem
’d
Phase Blade
, it nets +25% gold find when paired with
Dwarf Star
vs ravenfrost and
Lem
’d pb.

Is a
Rune Master
meta-changing? Probably not, but is it good enough to say it’s actually amazing?

Test it out with me and post your results!

Im going to put one to use in my Tesladin!
Description by Nate

Can be used to make Runewords:

Nate 532

Switch
Hey y’all, if your anything like me you only want to use those perfect 5/5 facets, yet your jewel mule is filling up with those lesser ones - the 5/3s, 4/4s and 4/5s. 3/3s and 3/4s just go back on the Ground amiright?!

Anyways I’ve also acquired a few extra 5os rune masters - again not good enough to use, but too good to just leave on the floor.

Rune Master
is a weird Beast, it’s got cbf, so that super useful, and while you could load it up with 40/15s, and it’d be crazy awesome… those are either super rare or super expensive. The best I’ve ever found was a 38/15 which I put in my druids reaper’s toll (though I nearly never play him).

So what to do? Can’t give it to a merc, I tried once to balance one for my
Frenzy
barb with some ed jewels and a
Shael
or 2… it turned out meh. What if that approach is all wrong, what if it’s secretly a
Caster Weapon
?!

What if you filled it with facets?! Or just bulk it up with crazy rare charms… could it be a a great stat stick that can also double as a weapon if needed?

No, no that’s crazy, no skills!

Well a decent caster is already looking at probably +15-20 to their main skills from all their other gear, so not an insignificant loss but also not a deal breaker. And a physical damage character isn’t super dependant on +skills anyways.

It’s still crazy, no fcr!

Again, a decent caster will be making 20 from
Helm
, 10 from amulet, say 30 from Spirit, 20 from arachnids, 30 from skin of vipermagi. Or 35 from Spirit, 20 from gloves if using Enigma. Boom 105, next

Well the strength requirme - stop! It’s less than a
Monarch
…which your already wearing

Surely other options then give better -en res or better +skills damage!

Kinda, take eschutas Temper, amazing* on a
Nova
sorc: +3 skills, 40 fcr, +20 fire/lightning damage and even a socket! *(not that amazing as it turns out, but humour me - I meant to say
Fireball
sorc).

Rune masters answer: the +3 skills gives like +10% to the main skills damage while also boosting mastery giving a total of ~+50% skill damage but only -5 en res. While a maxed out
Rune Master
gives +25 skill damage and -25 en res … as we know negative en res is close to double* the effectiveness of +skills damage. *in most situations. And you’re still making 105 fcr with your other gear, unless you play the 200 fcr variant, in which case… you win.

Now what about Crescent Moon on a Tesladin?
Um
yea this is where it gets crazy…and I need some help testing this. Not only will your melee attack damage gain an obscene amount of lightning damage (like 5-370, even with 3/3 facets), but also it increases the effectiveness of the tick damage…again by an insane amount. The stacked auras count like a level 30
Holy Shock
aura hitting twice, so even with 3/3 facets, that’s like +30% tick damage, and also with negative resists even more craziness… what sets this apart from a 6os
Phase Blade
for me is the cbf. Free of the
Raven Frost
! Could add a nagel, bk ring, or something weird like a
Carrion Wind
. Sure you’d have to repair it fairly often, it’s not casting
Static Field
every now and then and it’s not that fast, but… with the increased damage and everything else considered it’s still intriguing.

Could be a consideration for a cold sorc, don’t need fcr for orb or blizzard, and while -cold res isn’t as important, even with all 3/3s it still competes with Death’s fathom, and Voice of Reason, not so much a Doom, but I don’t have a spare
Cham
Lo
and
Ohm
rune sitting around taking up stash space.

I also use a
Lem
filled one on my gold find barb over a 6
Lem
’d
Phase Blade
, it nets +25% gold find when paired with
Dwarf Star
vs ravenfrost and
Lem
’d pb.

Is a
Rune Master
meta-changing? Probably not, but is it good enough to say it’s actually amazing?

Test it out with me and post your results!

Im going to put one to use in my Tesladin!
You know, I've always thought the unique affix for
Rune Master
should be that you can make runewords in it. Like the base property of ED and CBF, then add to that the runeword of your choice.

Probably too broken, but man that would be fun.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
I put 5
Ist
's in mine for my Zerker. It’s lit 🔥
I put 5
Shael
in mine, but still needs proper testing.

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
If filled with 5x +5/-3 cold facets - there's 25% extra cold power for a sorc. Other elements should be considered for non-sorc classes (fire non-shifter dru, even necro poisoner perhaps). As a deliver weapon, bad choice - due to lack of ias n 24 durability.
Still, this item is kinda joke from devs - can't imagine it being a bis for any specific needs.

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
While
Rune Master
certainly isn't bad for a number of builds, the 5 facets approach to make it worthwhile for casters doesn't quite cut it imo since..well..any random White
War Spike
or the like gets 6 sockets, giving you yet another facet to enjoy while sacrificing only a handful of runemaster stats, all of which basically don't matter to casters (largely because being frozen doesn't affect cast speed).
Nate wrote: 1 year ago
Rune masters answer: the +3 skills is only like +10% to damage giving a total of +35% skill damage and -5 en res
Sorry to say, that one is factually off by quite a bit.
Fire Mastery
gives you 7% per skill point, lightning 12%. So the +3 skills are either 21% dmg or 36 solely from mastery, not even looking at the base skill yet. Certainly nowhere near 10.

Either way, yes,
Rune Master
is severely underrated. Just not for casters imo. :)
OP

Nate 532

Switch
Argh, yea I forgot about masteries, updated!

Good catch

Rik 132

Americas PC
LarsVonAllen wrote: 1 year ago
I put 5
Ist
I like this. Actually seriously considering this option over 6
Ist
phaser but ias breakpoints would be rough with
Ettin Axe
Rik wrote: 1 year ago
I put 5
Ist
Ist
Ettin Axe
Well, I use it for
Travincal
, when TZ of course, I’m doing sub 60 Secs runs, and that’s good enough for me. For Pit, and other areas the IAS penalty would be a no-go for me, like you said

Rik 132

Americas PC
Rik wrote: 1 year ago
I put 5
Ist
Ist
Ettin Axe
Well, I use it for
Travincal
, when TZ of course, I’m doing sub 60 Secs runs, and that’s good enough for me. For Pit, and other areas the IAS penalty would be a no-go for me, like you said

That’s good time. I never fully experimented with zerk on trav but for a time was running one Grief phaser main and 6
Ist
phaser in off band however I didn’t time myself those days. I then transitioned to ww with one Grief one botd before going totally cliche into the 2 Grief ww
Club

It seems
Rune Master
would be a good use to max mf while balancing kill speed, rather than 2 6
Ist
’d phase blades and waiting for a merc kill. I see this would be particularly useful on Tz trav to squeeze out every bit of mf to finally get those ultra rare uniques especially when pulling such good time. If it’s in 60 secs, I consider it a good trade off for the extra 150 mf.

If I drop a high ed/5 os one I might experiment.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...