Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
17 replies   2683 views

Description

I find that I have no desire to log in and play, simply because the game actively discourages group play for the
Key
activity in the game... finding loot. Competing with other people in your party is not fun. It's not rewarding, and it destroys the social aspect of the game. Hell, at this point, it's more fun to play D:I then it is to play D2:R.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I find that I have no desire to log in and play, simply because the game actively discourages group play for the
Key
activity in the game... finding loot. Competing with other people in your party is not fun. It's not rewarding, and it destroys the social aspect of the game. Hell, at this point, it's more fun to play D:I then it is to play D2:R.

louner 197

Europe PC
Come join us here :D

forums/looking-for-non-ladder-sc-split- ... 89074.html

Group is active but needs more people. Usually someone does keys, in the meantime others do Chaos,
Baal
, Cows, 85 areas etc (all separately). Whatever you find is yours and you still get p3-p5. No loot drama, nice talk, everyone happy :D

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
You can play in public split farm/mf games if you want a stacked player count without competition for loot.

OP
The problem is, I don't want split farming... you might as well solo doing that. I want to group with people and see everyone get rewarded for their efforts....

I guess I'll just sit it out until they add in instanced loot... which is really too bad.

louner 197

Europe PC
I don't think that any game would be able to provide that really. Your only option is to have trusted friends

Necrarch 1599Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
On the various trades I did on this platform I discussed sometimes with various people. On my side, already have my party, but look around and you'll surely get people.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Some streamers do MF with others.
They will take the loot then share it to others.
Since they are on a live stream, you are sure to know what they get.

Relax and have fun!
Yea, gotta find people you trust, like real life friends and then beg them to play with ya. It sucks, and why I really want them to just add /players functionality online. Then at least the one person I can convince to play with me (my girlfriend) and I could bump it up to P7 and get better rewards and challenge. But instead we're stuck playing on P2 and it being waaaay too easy.

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.
same here. after getting my 7th char lvled up and geared up, i've lost a lot of interest in D2. Log in, do about 10 MF runs, get bored, log off. WoW was great, guild, 5man parties, 10 and 25 man raids, quests, pvp, loot distribution, dkp, eventually everyone gets loot. But it is more time intensive. I played from Vanilla all the way up to just before Panda release. we had a baby otherwise I'd probably still be playing WoW.

Houston, TX Central Time. join D2R Dclone Hunters Discord https://discord.com/invite/5DgUvcAYbR

Asha 344

Sorceress Europe PC
Damn, I miss the /players x command online. And not even bc of the loot - but bc of slow poor xp grind. Takes a time to hit 95 from 94, for example. And I'm tired of crowd telebaals already.
I find that I play D2 in waves. I will grind for weeks on it. Then, there is a switch that flips, and I put it down. Sometimes for days, sometimes for years. But, I am always coming back.

So, I would say that the lack of desire to log in is normal, common, or to be expected. I mean, for a remaster, I am shocked at the staying power it has. No other remaster has lasted longer than the nostalgia for me (looking in your direction C&C Remaster...).
same to me. i started to build up a char of every class. at the moment i collect every wp with this chars and complete the missing quests. than i do crafting amuletts, rings, collecting keys for ubers. i have good gear. at least i would need 4 more enigmas for each char and 2 more griffons. but i think this is a little bit too much. i dont like to play in public games, because the other guys always take away all of the loot :-( and i want loot too!

Schnorki 3168Moderator

PC
I talked myself into logging in to at least sell my left-over annis. But beyond that and maybe the occasional well timed walk..it is way too hot to play anything. :D
Won't blame D2 for that.

If your idea of endgame is to "get all ze loot" then yeah, it won't have as much staying power. It would have in the olden days because it really did take forever. But with sites like this making trading easy and safe(r) and none of your traded gear going poof over and over again, it really isn't that much of a lasting challenge anymore.

To me, lvling and gearing has always just been a necessary evil more than anything else (in all RPGs, not just D2). I need 92+ in most of my builds to make the core skills work out well enough, in some cases 98 or 99 only for core. Sitting on full BiS across the board. But the actual endgame fun to me is simply actually playing for the sake of playing. Be that farming (with no loot goal in mind), helping people out, PvP, random
Baal
or CS runs in pugs without worrying about fighting for loot anymore and all that jazz.

I find that once you have everything, your mindset shifts from "DAMN IT STOP TAKING MY LOOT!" to "noice! grats on the griffon's!" which makes pugs a hell of a lot more enjoyable again. And you go from "must farm as many annis in pugs as fast as possible!" to "walks are fun! i'll leisurely go after dclone with some random alt that shouldn't even be able to kill him with their build...or skip it and have a drink instead". Basically, everything simply becomes more relaxed, about the gaming experience itself and flat out more fun.
Though that is of course entirely subjective.
I agree with everything Schnorki posted. A few things I wanted to add in general, not directed at OP specifically:

It's okay to stop playing a game for awhile. It's okay to quit completely as well. You don't owe anybody a reason or justification because there are way too many other things that need attention in life and this game is ultimately just a way to spend time or attention that hopefully isn't needed elsewhere at the moment. If it stops being enjoyable, then do something that is more enjoyable.

When I play a game that's going to require time and effort to reach high levels of proficiency like this one, I set goals that I can control. I also have to get something out of my time. That's why I set goals early on instead of just playing and hoping for good item drops. Those goals can change as I play, but I'm not playing to just play. In D2R, it's to build back three characters that I got to 96, 96, and 95 twice after a respec in LoD all to 97+ by building them better this time. It's to make my D2Planner theorycrafting a playable reality.

Loot finding is not a goal that I have any control over because of the massive luck and RNG component. Loot finding on its own is boring to me because I recognize how stupid low the odds are of finding anything good. This is the lottery component of this game that I mentioned in another thread I don't care for, much like how I don't play the lottery in real life.

The only reason you eventually succeed is due to a confluence of RNG factors that are mitigated by time spent playing to increase your odds. Otherwise, you can more reliably work your way up through trading and tilt the odds more in your favor.

Personally, I don't care about loot beyond what it represents in trading power to outfit my characters. I'm not putting much stock into that You got really lucky? Then share it with us here =) thread beyond the entertainment because it's still luck at the end of the day. For everyone in that thread who found a high rune doing something random, they're vastly outnumbered by people who haven't.

If you expect loot drop adrenaline to get you through this game, then you are Blizzard's target audience for Diablo Immoral and exactly why they made that damn game. As flawed as this game is in many ways, the core of it is also 22 years old. Of course it's going to seem a bit rough around the edges compared to modern games. There are no developer-planned community or limited-time events and no achievement system. As a result, you have to define your own endgame goals.

That being said, there are still seven character classes, boundless build diversity if you aren't strictly focused on the meta (and plenty even if you are), and the items in this game aren't merely jumbo stat sticks like they are in D3. Focusing on the loot is shortsighted if you want to get the most out of playing this game. Even though it seems like it's oriented around loot, it's not. That's D3 and beyond. Play classic D2 and you'll see what this game was supposed to be about and how much harder it is without all the additional items that came with LoD.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
OP
All that being said, I'm coming at the game from an OG player. I've played the game from it's release off and on, and really, the only reason I picked up the remaster is for the changes and to ensure that my characters didn't just disappear the next time I put it down.

I've had the end game loot... and I've had all the stuff.. and while the game is all about the loot hunt, and yea, when you have everything, it makes sense that you don't want to play much.... I'm not even at that point yet.

I have a pally that can kill Ubers. I have 1 torch and 2 annies, and still don't have any Enigma/ Fort/ Grief/ etc. I have no characters "at end game gear"... and I just find.. I don't care.

I think I miss the social aspect more then the loot. It's more fun to play with friends... and see what they get in addition to what you get...
If you're looking for a more social experience, I don't think LoD was designed with that in mind. That's more of a classic D2 concept, especially after the 1.08 patch that made classic D2 almost impossible to solo.

When the 1.08 (LoD) patch came out, I still remember playing classic for another couple of months before I bought LoD. Classic players all of a sudden needed to join full 8-player parties so we had a diverse set of damage types to deal with immune monsters. We didn't have the LoD loot that completely changed players' goals and desires from leveling past 80 or 90 (back when 99 was achieved only by a handful of players over the year that classic existed before LoD) to obtaining new uniques that were almost universally better than the best rares.

Honestly, this game today is too easy to get much of a social experience from it. When I play this game with my friends, either one of us is getting rushed or we're just doing mindless runs of some kind where we're not even talking about the game most of the time. Due to a lack of endgame content, the game indirectly rewards playing as efficiently as possible, so just questing and/or playing the game are no longer desirable for the end goal, whether it's MF or XP.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
D2R can get boring quickly, because it doesn't have as much content as modern games like WoW. Since it's only an upfront purchase, it won't get as much post-launch development as products with a subscription or microtransaction business model.

Diablo 1 & 2 have always been the wild west of looting, so I wouldn't count on Blizzard updating D2R to be more fair. Yes it's bad, but no game will ever have a perfect system. A lot of players cheese balanced personal loot in MMOs like WoW by split raiding.

Just take a few weeks to a few months off if you're seriously not enjoying the game right now. Your desire to play will most likely grow back, and you will experience a refreshed sense of novelty. It's not subscription-based, so you won't be wasting money by not playing.

The only people who can play the same game almost every day indefinitely are incredibly hardcore players like streamers who are not always playing solely to have fun.

Got bored too so I joined public split-MF, baals run.
Split-MF was good cause monsters were stronger.
I hit lvl 93 really fast while joining p8 baals run but got no loot lol.
That was more fun than just farming alone over and over again.

Then I joined 2 public uber runs (must be organised by a streamer or a group) .
The guy dropped random HR while doing mini uber.
I got the unid torch both times (don't ask me how).

The first time, people left immediately after the run :(
The second time, a guy asked me to id the torch so I identified and gave both.
PS: those are low sin and barb torch.

Relax and have fun!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation