Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
17 replies   3896 views

Description

As much as I am happy for everyone else that is excited about 2.4, I've realized that it doesn't really spark any interest in me, and as such I have decided to not play the game moving forward. That being said, D2 is my favorite game of all time, and I really have no reason to "quit". I know the immediate answer is to go back to LoD, but I enjoy everything the remake has brought with it, I just have no interest in going back to an ever changing game. I know I am in the minority, I am not trying to bring down anyone else's enjoyment, and there really is no reason for anyone to challenge my opinion on this matter. I am simply asking for some help on how to continue playing 2.3 forever. Obviously it will probably be easy for me to find a cracked version of 2.3, so the only thing that's annoying me, is that I've played bnet exclusively for over 20 years, and the 2 main features I do it for is trading and randomized maps. Now trading I realize is just instantly gone, but is there anything I can do to get randomized maps, without going through some drawn out process every time I load up the game (No I am not going to change difficulty between each mf run lol)?? There has to be some sort of mod or script or something? I have never messed with D2 (or D2R) mods so I know nothing about them, just a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated..

Can be used to make Runewords:

As much as I am happy for everyone else that is excited about 2.4, I've realized that it doesn't really spark any interest in me, and as such I have decided to not play the game moving forward. That being said, D2 is my favorite game of all time, and I really have no reason to "quit". I know the immediate answer is to go back to LoD, but I enjoy everything the remake has brought with it, I just have no interest in going back to an ever changing game. I know I am in the minority, I am not trying to bring down anyone else's enjoyment, and there really is no reason for anyone to challenge my opinion on this matter. I am simply asking for some help on how to continue playing 2.3 forever. Obviously it will probably be easy for me to find a cracked version of 2.3, so the only thing that's annoying me, is that I've played bnet exclusively for over 20 years, and the 2 main features I do it for is trading and randomized maps. Now trading I realize is just instantly gone, but is there anything I can do to get randomized maps, without going through some drawn out process every time I load up the game (No I am not going to change difficulty between each mf run lol)?? There has to be some sort of mod or script or something? I have never messed with D2 (or D2R) mods so I know nothing about them, just a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated..
If you get to the point where you are running the previous patch, there is a way to reroll your single player maps with a parameter added to your shortcut. (like -w in the shortcut for windowed mode)

The parameter is "-seed x".

Here is a link to an explanation from reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/commen ... r_sp_maps/

At the very least, this might give you a better direction to narrow down your google searches. Good luck.

OP
ManInTheCanoe wrote: 2 years ago
If you get to the point where you are running the previous patch, there is a way to reroll your single player maps with a parameter added to your shortcut. (like -w in the shortcut for windowed mode)

Here is a link to an explanation from reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/commen ... r_sp_maps/

At the very least, this might give you a better direction to narrow down your google searches. Good luck.
thanks for the suggestion but I don't think this method can be used for randomization purposes :'(
Tjalde wrote: 2 years ago
thanks for the suggestion but I don't think this method can be used for randomization purposes :'(

Yeah I guess you'd have to keep changing the numbers prior to playing... Anyway...

Check out PlugY mod for single player, that allows randomized map (battle.net map generation). Here is a video of DarkHumility using it and he gives an explanation in the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8_06cG7iFM

A bit sad to hear you don't want to enjoy something new in those years. But it's your choice. I can only wish you to have fun and maybe eventually come to us on actual version.
OP
Chasodey wrote: 2 years ago
A bit sad to hear you don't want to enjoy something new in those years. But it's your choice. I can only wish you to have fun and maybe eventually come to us on actual version.
I think I'm just over video games at this point, I don't enjoy anything new and I can't tell if it's me or the video games that are to blame... I tried Lost Ark today because I had nothing to play. Literally most stupid video game I have seen in my life, playing it made me genuinely depressed, but people love it so I'm getting more and more convinced that I am the problem.. It doesn't seem like there is any practical way to handle dungeon randomization in D2R single player so I guess I am just going back to playing LoD with PlugY until I die from boredom or old age...

BillyMaysed 2189Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
I think I'm just over video games at this point, I don't enjoy anything new and I can't tell if it's me or the video games that are to blame... I tried Lost Ark today because I had nothing to play. Literally most stupid video game I have seen in my life, playing it made me genuinely depressed, but people love it so I'm getting more and more convinced that I am the problem.. It doesn't seem like there is any practical way to handle dungeon randomization in D2R single player so I guess I am just going back to playing LoD with PlugY until I die from boredom or old age...
honestly i feel this 100%. Video games in general have lost a ton of enjoyment in recent years, new or old. It's just not the same as when we were younger and i dont think itll ever get any "better" in that sense. Agree lost ark is a giant pile of hot wet garbage for people with extremely short attention spans who like going "ooooo" at the absurd flashing graphics of every spell. Video games are catered to the younger crowd with no interest in spending more than 5 minutes learning how a game is played.

That being said im confused on why 2.4 would negatively affect your experience at all, at least to the point of quitting? It isn't "ever changing" because we are insanely lucky they gave us 2.4 and i'd bet serious money we see no further changes going forward from here beyond bug fixes. All 2.4 really did was give every class more viable builds, each mercenary more viable set ups so you arent pigeon holed into always using A2 and more lvl 85 farming areas. It didn't really change much of any of the original builds so everything is still there from 2.3 to enjoy as well.

OP
Half of what makes D2, is all the little quirks and bugs... A few days ago this game was the same game it's been for the past 13 years, with a fresh coat of paint... Today it's a different game entirely, it feels like a mod in a way.. I don't know how you can say it didn't change any builds, literally every build in the game has been altered by this patch.. I think I am literally the only guy in the world that haven't gotten myself a new free Anni these days (only bc I haven't opened the damn game), it's such a lame joke...

Sorceress Americas PC
Half of what makes D2, is all the little quirks and bugs... A few days ago this game was the same game it's been for the past 13 years, with a fresh coat of paint... Today it's a different game entirely, it feels like a mod in a way.. I don't know how you can say it didn't change any builds, literally every build in the game has been altered by this patch.. I think I am literally the only guy in the world that haven't gotten myself a new free Anni these days (only bc I haven't opened the damn game), it's such a lame joke...
The vast majority of the bug fixes were bad bugs that most players hated and only made the game worse. And slightly giving you a little extra dmg on some skills doesn't dramatically change how any of the old builds played. Feel free to list your specific gripes about what specific builds have dramatically changed because i'm not following your reasoning at all.

Then I am the only woman in this harsh world who has not received Anni these days :( So do not be sad, you are not alone.
Actually, in all my years in diablo, I have never seen a
Diablo Clone
Some of us play hardcore and have not had a clone yet so not much has changed in that regard. I have been checking the tracker since 2.4 release and sadly have to correct them back to 1/6 status.

I have run into the same problem as you where new games just do no not click and target a much younger audience - I have wasted plenty on steam to try and scratch the gaming itch but always come back to D2. The only other game I play is Heroes of the Storm (mainly with friends).

I am glad we are getting these subtle changes (admit dclone being a big change for softcore at least atm) but overall the game has not really changed that much IMO. You can still play the same main builds you always could have - maybe if your into pvp or something where some of these builds "break" the existing balance.

I still never heard what changes you were not happy with besides this comment on the annis being easier to get and value dropping in the market. Is it now you have research these changes vs just knowing how everything was the way it was for the past 10 years?

Besides the dclone change - what is it that makes you no longer want to play?

I for one thinking the dclone change is great for others to experience the event that never have (myself included) - even if hardcore seems to get no love in this regard I will be patiently waiting for that ticker to go up. I am glad they got rid of the old method where only the special in the know people had to track server IPs to coordinate the event.

I actually think the patch was done right as far as keeping most of the game still as is and adding some more diversity options.

Maybe hop on ladder when it starts to see how you feel and your still unhappy then just take a break from D2 and maybe games in general for a bit. Or maybe dig up some old classic games you used to play.

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
OP
LockeDown wrote: 2 years ago
Maybe hop on ladder when it starts to see how you feel and your still unhappy then just take a break from D2 and maybe games in general for a bit. Or maybe dig up some old classic games you used to play.
Thanks for the kind thoughts and word of advice mate, sincerely. I've kinda just decided to go back to LoD and wave goodbye to the graphical update. Sad as it is, it's whatever. Trading has always been the biggest draw to play on bnet for me, but I am honestly prepared to say goodbye to that also, I just don't see this patch doing anything besides trivializing the game further...

mev 0

Americas PC
ManInTheCanoe wrote: 2 years ago

That method can be used for randomization purposes. You just need to make a .bat file (or other script) that opens Diablo 2 and passes the -seed flag with a random number as the parameter. I'm not familiar with Windows scripting, so I won't be able to write the exact script for you, but if you poke around a bit, it should be doable.

Sorceress Americas PC
I just don't see this patch doing anything besides trivializing the game further...
You have yet to make a single point about HOW 2.4 actually makes the game worse for you besides the one point about anni's that doesnt dramatically change anything. What exactly has you so upset about 2.4? What else has 2.4 changed for the worse for you or "trivialized"? Specifically. I genuinely want to know.

trx 2

Amazon Europe PC
I was in the same boat, but then I remembered how exciting it was when we got patches in the old days, especially 1.10 turned the entire game upside down and I loved it then. (even though none of my (hc) characters were able to stay in Hell and had to go back to Nightmare for a few level ups.)

As to new games catering to a specific audience, you are right, but then there was Valheim!

All my trades are Hardcore Ladder.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
The thing about patches is they will never make everyone happy. And honestly, ignoring for a second the "making viable of new builds" but looking at how they treat bugs, I for one can't help but also be a bit unhappy about that.

Not only because critical bugs that have ruined the D2:R experience since day one are simply not being addressed (specifically the various chat bugs that still persist and make social play painful to impossible).
But also because they do instead address certain bugs that frankly were the only thing creating any real challenge in this game. Viper damage? Gone. Ridiculous mana burn? Gone. All we need now is for them to "fix" the puppet explosion to no longer scale and there goes the last remaining thing that can ever kill you. I for one am definitely not a fan of making things easier with every patch, be that by actively nerfing mobs or by fixing bugs that have been around for decades and have become a staple feature. I isn't exactly a hard game to begin with...a fun one, a ridiculous time sink one, but not a hard one. Mind you, if they follow those nerf-fixes up with full rebalancing or a new difficulty to pose an actual challenge to players, I will happily eat my words and be all for it. But I highly doubt either of those will ever happen, sadly.
Well, that and the inherent half-baked approaches that Blizz has become famous for. "We don't want players to have to IP hop to find clone games! We want it to be accessible!"...."Oh, we totally want players to constantly region-hop to find clone games! Also, we want them to have a much more vague heads up than ever before so..let's get rid of counters!". Like...really? Come on..

Don't get me wrong, I still like it and prefer D2:R over literally any other released game out there (admittedly not a high bar these days). But I do sincerely wish it would pose some sort of challenge/difficulty and a test of actual skill beyond spreadsheet-skills for char planning.
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
honestly i feel this 100%. Video games in general have lost a ton of enjoyment in recent years, new or old. It's just not the same as when we were younger and i dont think itll ever get any "better" in that sense. Agree lost ark is a giant pile of hot wet garbage for people with extremely short attention spans who like going "ooooo" at the absurd flashing graphics of every spell. Video games are catered to the younger crowd with no interest in spending more than 5 minutes learning how a game is played.

That being said im confused on why 2.4 would negatively affect your experience at all, at least to the point of quitting? It isn't "ever changing" because we are insanely lucky they gave us 2.4 and i'd bet serious money we see no further changes going forward from here beyond bug fixes. All 2.4 really did was give every class more viable builds, each mercenary more viable set ups so you arent pigeon holed into always using A2 and more lvl 85 farming areas. It didn't really change much of any of the original builds so everything is still there from 2.3 to enjoy as well.
Mega quote upon quote quoted here, but i agree with all of this. However this is just an opinion of my own, but I am glad to see the dust rolled off this game. The graphics are indeed great, but the simple fact i can enjoy the game from my youth in any capacity is a blessing right now. I've played so many games the past few years that left a bad taste in my mouth in this genre alone, and to see the game in a new light, with new patches and " content" updates in the way of bug fixes and builds is a bit surprising to me. I will say that i wasn't initially impressed when I first started playing, but when I finally got through all the playable aspects, I realized it was pretty polished aside from the bugs.
After playing diablo 3 and seeing that game pretty much reflect nothing but Lore from diablo 2,I lost all hope that this game would be relived besides booting up the old game. It sucks to see you go based on your outlook on the d2r, but I am hoping ladder will
Revive
alot of the player base, i hope to see 1 runeword or so a ladder season ( nothing game breaking but something new would add a little flare to so unused builds) and if they add a few small things that don't break the game here and there i am all for it. Seeing the game evolve slightly ( considering there are variants of the original game already that completely change the game like path of diablo for example) isn't all that bad when you think of it. Hoping my wall of text isn't too bad here. Thanks, if you read it.

Online mostly between the hours of 7pm to 12am EST ( US)
Sounds like a severe case of gaming impotence. That happens but nothing impossible to deal with.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...