Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   697 views

Description

Device: PC
Browser: Chrome

The website stopped sending notifications to the notification sidebar of Windows 10.
Description by TRON

Can be used to make Runewords:

Device: PC
Browser: Chrome

The website stopped sending notifications to the notification sidebar of Windows 10.
Fixedby Khegan2 years agoGo to post
According to the latest patch notes, push notifications have been removed:
Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
I have retired push notifications. After trying for months to contact the developer I bought the license from, I've had no response.
With the bugged notifications being sent out in magnitudes of order greater numbers than normal, this was taking it's toll on the server dominating requests having to be made server-side.
I think this is justified seeing as, if my data is right, only 0.06% of the total userbase were using it (like literally 7 people).
To me, removing the broken push notifications to improve the rest of the site's performance substantially made sense.
If you still want to get push notifications, go to your notification options and get emails sent to you (then your email client will generate the push :P).

Khegan 376

According to the latest patch notes, push notifications have been removed:
I have retired push notifications. After trying for months to contact the developer I bought the license from, I've had no response.
With the bugged notifications being sent out in magnitudes of order greater numbers than normal, this was taking it's toll on the server dominating requests having to be made server-side.
I think this is justified seeing as, if my data is right, only 0.06% of the total userbase were using it (like literally 7 people).
To me, removing the broken push notifications to improve the rest of the site's performance substantially made sense.
If you still want to get push notifications, go to your notification options and get emails sent to you (then your email client will generate the push :P).
This post was marked as the fix.
OP
Thanks for the info. I assumed it to be a bug because the options menu still had checkboxes to enable notifications.

I used notifications because they worked more reliably for me than emails. Before switching to notifications the emails sometimes arrived into my mail box with 5-10 hours of delay.

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
TRON wrote: 2 years ago
Before switching to notifications the emails sometimes arrived into my mail box with 5-10 hours of delay.
Would you mind testing this again TRON? I've done a few tests myself today but found that emails are being sent near instantaneously for notifications.

OP
TRON wrote: 2 years ago
Before switching to notifications the emails sometimes arrived into my mail box with 5-10 hours of delay.
Would you mind testing this again TRON? I've done a few tests myself today but found that emails are being sent near instantaneously for notifications.
It was long long ago when I tried to use email notifications and the messages were delayed only occasionally every few days even with higher trade volume than what we have today. It would probably be difficult to reproduce the issue. I stopped relying on email notifications after about a couple weeks of use and just refreshed the website every few minutes (between my D2 farming runs) even before the introduction of push notifications. That's the method I use again but I refresh less often because I'm lazy and running a high traffic "penny shop" isn't anymore as exciting as it was when I was a D2 rookie. :-D

The delay often affected several messages. Like receiving a burst of emails late night - all of them related to events that happened hours ago in the afternoon. I excluded the possibility of client side issues by checking the timestamps of the emails. I used chrome+gmail so that info was provided by the servers of google not some kind of dodgy email client app.

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
Cool, thanks for the feedback.

From what you've said regarding the bursts of emails etc. it sounds like it was capacity/traffic problems, which we had loooads of back in the day as you will I'm sure remember being one of the older members here.

So to reassure you, with all the continuous work I've done on the site since then, I don't think that emails should be anywhere as delayed as they were back then. My testing shows they're sending almost immediately these days.

Lemme know if you decide to try them out again - if they're still delayed then that means I can look into it and fix a potential bug or something :P

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...