Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
18 replies   1508 views

Description

I'm trying to gauge how long I will end up playing D2 this time around. It's been so long since I played the original that I can't remember what made me stop playing.... Maybe a girlfriend, a job, school, boredom, too many dupes, ran out of fire hot cheetos, maybe all of the above.

Feel free to share your story from the original and how you're feeling about the current climate.

(shit, some of you seem like you never quit playing since the original)

Can be used to make Runewords:

I'm trying to gauge how long I will end up playing D2 this time around. It's been so long since I played the original that I can't remember what made me stop playing.... Maybe a girlfriend, a job, school, boredom, too many dupes, ran out of fire hot cheetos, maybe all of the above.

Feel free to share your story from the original and how you're feeling about the current climate.

Schnorki 3171Moderator

PC
What's this girlfriend thing you speak of? Never heard of it.

That reminds me, I need to get more cheetos!

On a more serious note, I dare say it stands and falls with the company.

And with future changes.

I love the game for what it is (actual d2 but finally with updated graphics). But I do fear what it will become as Blizz continues to make changes. Given, the current round isn't too bad and doesn't affect the core of it yet. But if they for example cave to the whiny masses that want
Teleport
to become pointless, effectively making d2 a slow-motion shadow of its former glory, then I'm out instantly.

Other than that, short term I'm having fun. Mid term it wouldn't hurt to have a few more good folks to play with. Long term, I won't realistically continue if it is still primarily solo. Sadly, that's imo also the biggest downfall in d2:r design right now...chat is so ridiculously broken that actually meeting/talking to new people in-game is next to impossible. Unless that gets fixed (very) soon, I honestly sadly don't see too much of a future.

But apart from all of that...until another solid game replaces it (which definitely won't be D4 or any other blizz game ever again for me).

Or until summer starts coming out of the woodworks and the world finally goes back to at least semi-normal (in whatever year that may be..).

Deleted User 632 0

guess it's easier to move on if you find something else you like better. got to get that dopamine fix replaced.
you can always try to burn your pc. but it's probably more healthy to your wallet to just sell it.
OP
D3 was such a let down for me, that I refuse to get my hopes up for D4.

Thank God I play this game and not a real slot machine.
This marks the 4th time I have lost my soul to Diablo 2. Once in 2001 (you all have seen me hint at being old in other posts, BEHOLD THE FULL POWER OF THOSE WORDS ANd...wheeze...wheeze...
Um
, is it time for Matlock? Are you my son, Billy?), once in 2004, and again in around 2012. Now 2021 to present.

Each time I stopped it was a combination of other things to play coupled with not seeing any kind of progression. Once one has all the gear they can reasonably hope to get on all the builds they feel like playing, the draw stops. Chasing after a 3
Jah
Tesladin or a Perfect Rolled CoH on a Perfect Superior Archon just doesn't have the draw for me. Nor does playing a Skelly General Necro.

Schnorki 3171Moderator

PC
Leaker416 wrote: 2 years ago
This marks the 4th time I have lost my soul to Diablo 2. Once in 2001 (you all have seen me hint at being old in other posts, BEHOLD THE FULL POWER OF THOSE WORDS ANd...wheeze...wheeze...
Um
, is it time for Matlock? Are you my son, Billy?), once in 2004, and again in around 2012. Now 2021 to present.

Each time I stopped it was a combination of other things to play coupled with not seeing any kind of progression. Once one has all the gear they can reasonably hope to get on all the builds they feel like playing, the draw stops. Chasing after a 3
Jah
Tesladin or a Perfect Rolled CoH on a Perfect Superior Archon just doesn't have the draw for me. Nor does playing a Skelly General Necro.
Your aged mind is playing tricks on you Methuselah. CoH always rolls perfect. :p
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago

Your aged mind is playing tricks on you Methuselah. CoH always rolls perfect. :p
Oh man! I've wasted like 5
Ber
runes trying to reroll something better!

There, now that I have given everyone reading the above a heart attack, just kidding. Figures the first runeword that pops into the nugget is one that doesn't have any variables and now I look like a clown. Should have gone with Spirit, Infinity, Duress, Grief...Call To Arms...oh, it's time for Wheel of Fortune!
I'm waiting for Elden Ring, then it's a break from D2 for however long I need it to be.

Available for trade after 6pm EST - US

Gunar 35

Amazon PC
Hmm, I remembering having gathered a fortune of maybe 20 SoJ (over years!) when they started falling rapidly (cause of dupes) and in a couple of weeks where basically worthless.
I lost most of my interest at this point, plus the persistent imminence of losing one of your (many and once valuable) chars due to not activating it for some weeks, I finally gave in and never looked back.
I'd say that burnout would be the highest motivation killer for continuing. It's inevitable that you'll eventually hit a long dry spell where RNG is just utter garbage. The longer you have been playing, the more likely a dry spell is to make you hang up your bnet account for the long haul.

I was honestly kinda hoping that I would have lost interest by now, but the fact that I'm working on a game and parent to a 6 year old and a 7 month old both seem to naturally moderate my play time, which prolongs my interest in mindlessly farming the same 4 places for hours on end lol.
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
What's this girlfriend thing you speak of? Never heard of it.

That reminds me, I need to get more cheetos!

On a more serious note, I dare say it stands and falls with the company.

And with future changes.

I love the game for what it is (actual d2 but finally with updated graphics). But I do fear what it will become as Blizz continues to make changes. Given, the current round isn't too bad and doesn't affect the core of it yet. But if they for example cave to the whiny masses that want
Teleport
to become pointless, effectively making d2 a slow-motion shadow of its former glory, then I'm out instantly.

Other than that, short term I'm having fun. Mid term it wouldn't hurt to have a few more good folks to play with. Long term, I won't realistically continue if it is still primarily solo. Sadly, that's imo also the biggest downfall in d2:r design right now...chat is so ridiculously broken that actually meeting/talking to new people in-game is next to impossible. Unless that gets fixed (very) soon, I honestly sadly don't see too much of a future.

But apart from all of that...until another solid game replaces it (which definitely won't be D4 or any other blizz game ever again for me).

Or until summer starts coming out of the woodworks and the world finally goes back to at least semi-normal (in whatever year that may be..). This!!!

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
Well elex ii comes on march. So. I’ve played the first 3 times to finish it takes months

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.
I never got to enjoy the original D2, so I am riding this addiction train until the end.

bs21 19

Paladin Americas PC
Well this time around we don’t have to refresh our characters every what 90 days? That will be nice because that’s what lost my Zealot that I worked on for 15 years. No hard feelings but when Dad life rolls around I was just logging in to refresh my guys for when things would calm down and unfortunately lost a guy worth, even with all of the duping, lots of money. And it’s not the money for me, but just the time, memories and nostalgia.

Who knows, as long as they control the bots and duping I will have no reason to leave, unless they do some drastic changes to gameplay of course. I’m not a ladder player but that should be a focus for them because it drives players.

Outside of losing my guys due to inactivity, the duping of 290s, then SoJs and then high runes really ruined it for me because I love to magic find and trade on the market. Why I love D2 a little more than D3. Duping and the market collapsing is my biggest fear.

I hope they can keep things more controlled with D2R and who knows…give me a nice pastime for another 15 years!
It depends on the devs. Upcoming ladder I will play. Will test 2 more builds anyways.

If devs continue selling us a big change patch where actually nothi g change, my addiction will fall off rapidly.

Atm HC going for lvl 99 + grail is only motivation.
Just personal goals but not the game itself keep me playing... for now

Stay a while and listen
I'm getting pretty bored right now with it. Ladder will hopefully rejuvenate it. We will see. There comes a point where you get everything you need and search for everything you want and it just becomes tiresome.

Online mostly between the hours of 7pm to 12am EST ( US)
I have played d2 back in 200x just as a solo player offline, I used item editing software, because I had no clue what to do, how to farm things, how to build up character - there were some builds? I just did what I thought was right at that time. For example barb and stamina and fast movement speed. There are I have spent tons of points, because I had no clue you can get easily +10 to skills. And about ubers I heard for the first time in D2r.

but it was fun, even with downloaded gear and heroes. I just enjoyed to play the game. Then I stopped because I played it solo and I switched to FPS games.

As D2r goes I was looking forward to it to be honest. I think year ago I got nostalgic and I bought for the first time D2, I have played it for few hours, graphic was terrible so I couldnt do more. I have found mods to make it 1680*1050, but because I was on ladder I couldnt downgrade the game to version which was supported by this mod. Few months after I heard about D2r release. So here am I.

I have played D2r since release day. I was really looking forward to playing with friends. My bnet account is 12years old and I met many great guys as persons and as gamers. But then chat is broken. Joining friends is impossible. I still dont know why they didnt keep UI which is same in SC2 and in HOTS. It would be such cool. It works there. You can easily see who plays the game atm.

Around mid november I got somehow frustrated, because my gear was going nowhere. Even I did 6x characters to lvl 70+ (when I reached point when it wasnt possible to clear some location I started new character hoping I would find some gear which could help my previous character). but only with bowazon (thanks
Valkyrie
and casting
Decoy
on every corner, my resists were -30 to -70) I was able to solo the game and do some farming, which took really long. But I kinda begin to get slighty better gear (crappy legendary was a huge improvement back then). One of my old sc2 friend played D2r too, so that was multiplayer game for me at least but he stopped playing 2weeks before me and I found it boring to play single player game - I hated when u do main quests on public game - to play multiplayer game, then some sorc tries to help by porting and making portals. I still hate this. When I am bored of
Key
/cow/
Baal
/Chaos/trav runs. I help to level up guys even in nightmare. I always ask if they want me to get them teleports or if they wanna play game as intented. Only few asks for TPs - those who power lvl their characters has friends who knows what to do and are willing to do it. I really enjoy to play guys who plays their first character. I can give them all the loot which is in category "too good for
Charsi
, too bad for trade, too bad to wear for me".

And I have stopped with D2r for month and half.

Then I begun to play and I am not shame to admit, I did bought some runes and I made my Grief (30/399) and cta (6/4/2) for my Fury druid.
Since then I purchase
Ist
/
Ohm
runes worth of 10USD every month. Just to have enough for trading - I do have many characters so I want them all to be equiped. And I love trading on diablo2.io. My sorc is arcane/countess keyrunner. Equiped in
Tal Rasha
- gear worth of 3ists. My bowa is even cheaper - Maavina set and it is so f fun in nightmare and act1 hell. So when I am bored I take bowa switch to nightmare and help some guys to level up.

Now I am super hyped about my javazon (stats on items aint maxed, griffon with facet is only 19/16) but I have all the right gear, including 2500def Fortitude, andy visage and Infinity for merc. I finally did my first Enigma last week. So once I will be bored of java my path to summoner necro, Wind druid and others builds is open now. I will slowly begin to buy summoner gear. I always buy right gear, but if maxed stats are worth
Ber
, but some really worst roll is worth
Ohm
. I pay
Ohm

Also I have found one good friend who plays everyday and atm we do
Key
running as 3ppl. Yesterday we were able to find all the keys in less than 2hrs.

So I would say I am on hype now. My goal is to have all builds which I like - equipped them well enough (some almost super good, like java and furydruid, some cheaply for purpose like bowa and sorc) - yeah I have to swap gear to play that hero. My Fury druid is uber hunter. When I do any run as P8 - no problem at all, no drinking potions, no dying (unless I fall a sleep hehe). My java well that dmg is broken :D p1 = 1javelin clears entire room anywhere.

So this is my goal in game as well as to have one hero at lvl99, but after pushing java and druid to lvl 89 I will probably shift my goal.

And even with 'amazing' gear I have now I am still super happy if I runes like
Lem
or
Fal
or
Pul
drop from monsters :) when I see legendary elite version it makes me happy too.

But sadly the way I like to play kinda ended because when u can p8 solo anything without any issues. Its just
Key
running now for me which gives me crappy torches :D Chaos runs are more run than
Baal
runs for me.

I heard MrLama "mentioning" act6. I hope this rumour will be true and it will be big and challenging to play and if they somehow managed to make game more dependant on character composition (something like in WoW) then it would be super great - p1 solo can be same as it is now.

PS I hope my comment isnt too long hehe, but those are mine experiences with D2 and D2r

Ohh and D3, big hype. I run glasscannon bow_hatred_female_archer_in_high_heels (dunno her name) and when I found and sold 2rings worth of D3 price game was uninstalled at the same time I wired money to my bank account.

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel
OP
Im so bored at work that I actually read your entire post.

You should have a character so good at farming that you dont need to 'purchase' runes anymore.
dilbert383 wrote: 2 years ago

I played a lot for maybe a month or two and mostly decked out two characters - a hammerdin and a tesladin (I grew up loving Paladins, the knight in shining armor concept is just cool to me).

After that I played very sporadically only when I was bored and wanted to veg out a bit.

About two weeks ago, I was doing WSK runs casually and a
Ber
rune dropped. I realized I didn’t give a shit or feel any excitement at all.

That’s when I knew that there was literally no point playing anymore. This game emotionally rewards you with progression and the thrill of finding ultra rare items. When that’s gone there’s no point continuing the grind.

There days I post here more often than I play because I like the community here and it’s not a time sink to post.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...