diablo2.io is supported by ads
136 replies   269957 views

Description

Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

OP
KrassusD2 wrote: 2 years ago
Morphin wrote: 2 years ago
Different topic, but prolonging a game's fun by pretending not knowing something we already know is going to be futile.
you don't need to pretend, but you can have fun without playing the meta. the game is so much more than that. it's not just about being efficient and getting a good deal, it can be about the struggle, whether alone or with friends, it can bbe about the enjoyment of drops, it can be about making new friends and completing challenges together.

after 20 years or so, would you not say it's kinda stale to start with a sorc and get GG gear in the first few days? Even if someone is the type of player that likes to show off his early ladder gains, after so much time, can that bring any kind of excitement anymore?
You always can enjoy the game any way you want. Is just the game, unlike modern ones, is particularly punishing when you don't play it in a certain way. It's part of the caveat being an old game, but it's charming as well because no one makes games this way anymore. Statistically, people will be herded towards a certain Pattern due to the game mechanics themselves, and by saying the streamer and guides doing that is confusing causation with the phenomenon. That said, staying outside the herd is always a conscious choice you can make.

It's the same logic I'd like to challenge in your
Lo
and
Ber
example. In that example, had the dude known and got 2 rolls for his Grief instead of 1, wouldn't he be happier (who's to say the first roll will always be 40)? If he's upset after learning about that he could have traded it for more, if a perfect Grief means that much to him, why would he care if the trade is fair or not, thus have his joy ruined? If he indeed got upset, is that because someone told him the market value or just because someone ripped him off?
i disagree, it is not confusing causation. if thousands of people are being told that the "right" way of doing things is "this", then they are likely to do it. Even if they do not want it, they will be afraid of not being able to succed in another way, esppecially if they are new players, and especially if the message comes from an individual they perceive as knowledgeable and influential.
would that new player who thought the assassin is super cool and started one have made a sorc eventually? probably, if for no other reason than to give it a shot.

as for the
Ber
/
Lo
example, let's examine both sides. First one, he knew beforehand that he can get 2 Los for his
Ber
. He did not care, for whatever reason or for whatever superstition, he thought this was the time. Whether he was right and rolled a 40, or whether he was wrong and rolled a 30, I do not see the value in anyone telling him "but a
Ber
is worth 2
Lo
! you got ripped off in the first place!". Either it's a bit off a downer, however small, that he was criticized, or he is dowright miserable for listening to his gut and being wrong.
Now, let's assume he did not know he could get 2
Lo
for a
Ber
. In either situation, he will at the very least be confused. Rolls a 40, gets the item he wanted, so why are people saying he got a raw deal? Rolls a 30, he is already dissappointed, and here come the masses telling him that's not even the end of it.

So I dunno, either way you slice it, there is still no answer to "but why is a
Ber
worth 2
Lo
in the first place?" Because that is what the market would bear is a reasonable answer, but market outliers would also bear 3
Lo
for a
Ber
, or 4, or whatever.

So at the end of the day, you don't just get to chase the items for the build you want, you also have to chase the best trade possible. Even if the prices in this guide are correct and fair, it is human nature that makes us want to get just a bit more, or buy for just a little less, which turns the game into this monstruosity of greed.
what happens is that players can no longer choose the value of something, it is already decided for them.
Jah
drops and you need a
Ber
or your Infy? Best be ready to pay extra.
Ber
drops but you need a
Jah
for your Pheonix? You're a fool if you do a straight up trade, you gotta get at least 2 ists out of it. And so on and so forth.
What happens is psychologically, the game gets heavier and heavier, especially for new players or people who do not have that much time to spend on it, especially on trading, and that leads to the game dying a premature Death, and thousands of items gathering dust in stashes because no one paid "fair value" for them.

There's no such thing as "fair value" when someone else other than you decides it. Not in D2, not in real life. Everything you buy has a cost, and whenever you make a purchase, whether you like the cost or not, whatever your feelings, you decide it is at the very least "fair enough"
OP
KrassusD2 wrote: 2 years ago
i disagree, it is not confusing causation. if thousands of people are being told that the "right" way of doing things is "this", then they are likely to do it. Even if they do not want it, they will be afraid of not being able to succed in another way, esppecially if they are new players, and especially if the message comes from an individual they perceive as knowledgeable and influential.
would that new player who thought the assassin is super cool and started one have made a sorc eventually? probably, if for no other reason than to give it a shot.

as for the
Ber
/
Lo
example, let's examine both sides. First one, he knew beforehand that he can get 2 Los for his
Ber
. He did not care, for whatever reason or for whatever superstition, he thought this was the time. Whether he was right and rolled a 40, or whether he was wrong and rolled a 30, I do not see the value in anyone telling him "but a
Ber
is worth 2
Lo
! you got ripped off in the first place!". Either it's a bit off a downer, however small, that he was criticized, or he is dowright miserable for listening to his gut and being wrong.
Now, let's assume he did not know he could get 2
Lo
for a
Ber
. In either situation, he will at the very least be confused. Rolls a 40, gets the item he wanted, so why are people saying he got a raw deal? Rolls a 30, he is already dissappointed, and here come the masses telling him that's not even the end of it.

So I dunno, either way you slice it, there is still no answer to "but why is a
Ber
worth 2
Lo
in the first place?" Because that is what the market would bear is a reasonable answer, but market outliers would also bear 3
Lo
for a
Ber
, or 4, or whatever.

So at the end of the day, you don't just get to chase the items for the build you want, you also have to chase the best trade possible. Even if the prices in this guide are correct and fair, it is human nature that makes us want to get just a bit more, or buy for just a little less, which turns the game into this monstruosity of greed.
what happens is that players can no longer choose the value of something, it is already decided for them.
Jah
drops and you need a
Ber
or your Infy? Best be ready to pay extra.
Ber
drops but you need a
Jah
for your Pheonix? You're a fool if you do a straight up trade, you gotta get at least 2 ists out of it. And so on and so forth.
What happens is psychologically, the game gets heavier and heavier, especially for new players or people who do not have that much time to spend on it, especially on trading, and that leads to the game dying a premature Death, and thousands of items gathering dust in stashes because no one paid "fair value" for them.

There's no such thing as "fair value" when someone else other than you decides it. Not in D2, not in real life. Everything you buy has a cost, and whenever you make a purchase, whether you like the cost or not, whatever your feelings, you decide it is at the very least "fair enough"
I get that all the guides telling people to play a game in an optimal way kills a game quickly, but as I said, that ship's sailed. Remastered games die a quick Death, D2R won't be any different. It is already happening. I have the feeling this game is already like 1 year down the lifespan in merely a month after release. This little guide I put in here with barely 2k views? It's not making the process any faster or slower.

For the
Ber
guy, sure, if you keep chasing him in PM mocking how bad of a trade he's made, that could be a real downer. But this isn't what the guide is doing, and the chance that he got let down by knowing after the trade and getting two
Lo
's after reading about a
Ber
's value is also equal. So if he cares about getting the most out of his
Ber
, at the very least the potential impact is 50/50. And if he had known and doesn't care, why'd he start caring after reading about it? Not to mention that if he's got this philosophy of "I don't want to know this because it ruins it for me", he can just opt out of all the forums and information sites. At any rate, I don't see a bit more (perceived) transparency causing universal harm, because if that's the case, you are suggesting we pull a rug over any information that spoils the mystery of the game, and again as I said, is going to be futile.

And of course, you can and will still do some out-of-norm trades after knowing, for various reasons. I traded a
Ber
for a
Jah
myself more than a week ago, because Enigma is freakin' awesome. The moment I got flooded by messages I knew I might have been selling cheap, but do I sound I have any regrets about not chasing the 2 x Ists? Exactly my point, knowing doesn't ruin the fun.

On the flip side, I happen to be talking to a few
Ber
guys lately (and
Sur
guys too), they are not like your
Ber
guy. They *wanted* to know their prize's worth, and are a bit stressed they didn't really know, partly because some of the offers they got from the forum are just downright confusing, and indeed, these are the ones who don't have hundreds of hours to spend on the game. They hoped if there's a shortcut way to evaluate those offers, so I explained the
Ist
values to them, and they seem to be happy. After doing this a few times I decided to write this up so that I don't have to repeat myself. See, my
Ber
guys are real, your
Ber
guy may be somewhere on the horizon, but since I don't believe this game would live another 2 years let alone 20, why don't offer some help when the need is within reach?

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
I get that all the guides telling people to play a game in an optimal way kills a game quickly, but as I said, that ship's sailed. Remastered games die a quick Death, D2R won't be any different. It is already happening. I have the feeling this game is already like 1 year down the lifespan in merely a month after release. This little guide I put in here with barely 2k views? It's not making the process any faster or slower.
I disagree that guides in any way kill a game. I played D2 for years without any help and now that i have many guides im way MORE into the game and wish i knew all this info years ago.

But D2R is also a remaster so of course it was never meant to last like any brand new game. But i will personally be playing D2R for another 20 years because its simply one of the best games on earth. Highly doubtful D4 will live up to the hype, but D2R has.

All in all, i have really enjoyed reading your guys conversation. Its the nicest online argument i have ever read. lol

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Guides ruin video games the same way the 3-point line ruined basketball. It's not ruined, the game just evolves over time as people learn more about it.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
OP
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
I disagree that guides in any way kill a game. I played D2 for years without any help and now that i have many guides im way MORE into the game and wish i knew all this info years ago.

But D2R is also a remaster so of course it was never meant to last like any brand new game. But i will personally be playing D2R for another 20 years because its simply one of the best games on earth. Highly doubtful D4 will live up to the hype, but D2R has.

All in all, i have really enjoyed reading your guys conversation. Its the nicest online argument i have ever read. lol
Yeah I also should have mentioned that now is actually the first time I played D2 the "correct" way, starting with a cold sorc, geared up towards other builds as I can afford them etc. I didn't do this in the old D2, I explored and accumulated much of the knowledge but very slowly, and I wasn't into ladders back then. When LoD just out my reference of runewords and how to beat hell
Duriel
was a magazine :)

Now with all the guides and refreshers around this is actually a new experience to me and not that stale. Feels a bit like twinking an RPG on your second playthrough, but what else can you expect from remakes.

Zlomy 19

Necromancer Europe Switch
I use this with the difference that everything is calculated to base rune.

• All my offers are Switch ONLY!

The time when I can usually be reached online 17:00-22:00 UTC+1 [Europe/Prague] time

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Zlomy wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for sharing! :D

5D669BB2-C2B5-433D-9ED8-FAD1F3FB26B9.jpeg
Aren't those
Ber
and
Jah
values a bit crazy? (Specially
Jah
)

Zlomy 19

Necromancer Europe Switch
yoru wrote: 2 years ago

5D669BB2-C2B5-433D-9ED8-FAD1F3FB26B9.jpeg
Aren't those
Ber
and
Jah
values a bit crazy? (Specially
Jah
)
Probably it's very old image (now market move both ways). I just share it to make a point how to convert that original post to
Ist
model from that they have before edit. I forget to mention that.

• All my offers are Switch ONLY!

The time when I can usually be reached online 17:00-22:00 UTC+1 [Europe/Prague] time
Thank you so much for this. I just got into trading here and this will really help me out!
Happily traded my
Ber
for 2
Lo
:)
Need to farm for
Lo
to get Grief/Fort. :)
I’m glad my dumbass decided to convert my “life savings” into
Ist
after reading this post thinking “oh an
Ist
is like a dollar, it stores value well”

Little did I know that OP meant Zimbabwean dollar, not US Dollar. 28 Ists for a
Ber
? FML
Puckey wrote: 2 years ago
bemelle87 wrote: 2 years ago
Sur
itself values 1ist less than
Lo
. in past several weeks
2Lo=
Ber
(still going this way)
1Lo=
Sur
+
Ist
(go up to
Gul
during weekend)
but other than that, great guide
With
Lo
=
Sur
+
Ist
Ber
= 2
Lo
makes no sense at all.
The rune exchanges in here are getting ridiculous and I'm actually starting to call out any trade that tries to rip off players.
Markets are not efficient.
Are these values the same for HC?
sonnytai331 wrote: 2 years ago
Ist
Ist

Ber
? FML
Yea, I think it's a bad "currency". I've noticed that
Ist
has been dropping relative to
Gul
for quite some time now. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few more months, 2
Ist
=
Gul
. I personally dislike
Ist
runes not only because they seem to be dropping in value but also because you can't convert them upward without losing value.
Gul
runes can cube all the way up to
Lo
and not lose any value! So,
Gul
runes are a lot more useful to stockpile because every
Gul
rune is an easy-to-convert fractional share of every rune higher than it until
Sur
Well the fact of the matter is, its the base currency, the
Ber
is appreciating and not the other way around, and
Ist
is still worth more than half a
Gul
, meaning you’re still making a loss if you cube up from
Ist
. The
Ber
demand is peaking now as people hit 90s and are trying to make their infinities. Once most people have that, you’ll see that peak come back down again.
I completely agree. I had also placed a bunch of my savings into
Ist
, until I found
Gul
. Now I take any
Pul
that I get, trade
Ist
DOWN to 2 Mals (using a
Fal
as incentive), and sell
Ist
Mal
Pul
for
Gul
, and so far I have made several
Ist
disappear, and finally traded them all the way to
Lo
(had about 10 plus a
Vex
and a
Gul
). It became another stage of the game for me. Bartering in the light of fluctuating prices.

Magic finding became also very hard to get motivated for, unless farming for unique Jewerly or lvl 85 areas.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
OP
tatarjj wrote: 2 years ago
sonnytai331 wrote: 2 years ago
Ist
Ist

Ber
? FML
Yea, I think it's a bad "currency". I've noticed that
Ist
has been dropping relative to
Gul
for quite some time now. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few more months, 2
Ist
=
Gul
. I personally dislike
Ist
runes not only because they seem to be dropping in value but also because you can't convert them upward without losing value.
Gul
runes can cube all the way up to
Lo
and not lose any value! So,
Gul
runes are a lot more useful to stockpile because every
Gul
rune is an easy-to-convert fractional share of every rune higher than it until
Sur
Ist
being a base currency is kind of a tradition from the legacy D2, and in no way means it doesn't fluctuate. Dollars fluctuate.

That being said the currency for high-value trades is always
Ber
. But that's not very practical for new players.

Yeah on a hindsight
Gul
is more stable now but the mindset where people measure Wealth in
Ist
's is still there. But calling
Ist
Zim dollar is a stretch - at the very worst it will still be worth 1/2 of a
Gul
(fundamentally impossible to go lower whatsoever), and by extension 1/16 of a
Lo
. More like the Australian dollar...

TBH even if everything up to
Lo
settles at cube value it won't be much of a change from where it is now. I'd be more interested to see how long this
Lo
/
Sur
semi-equivalency can hold, as this will be the sole factor preventing
Ber
value from rising to an insane level.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation