Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
19 replies   3345 views

Description

I'm thinking of making a zealot for the next ladder, but trying something kind of weird. So I started looking at some of the 2h weapon options, and I found a little info on builds with BOTD
War Pike
, or Death CS. I have a few questions and need some input, though

1. Do spears actually negatively affect FHR on paladins? I see this in some but not all sources for FHR breakpoints
2. What do I do with my extra points from
Holy Shield
? I put them into
Charge
for testing. Is it worth synergizing
Charge
?
3. What weapons do you recommend? I am mostly considering BOTD, Death, and Fury druid weapons right now (reapers, etc)

This is for playing mostly p1 online. I am also still open to going the 1h weapon route if someone has a fun build suggestion

Can be used to make Runewords:

I'm thinking of making a zealot for the next ladder, but trying something kind of weird. So I started looking at some of the 2h weapon options, and I found a little info on builds with BOTD
War Pike
, or Death CS. I have a few questions and need some input, though

1. Do spears actually negatively affect FHR on paladins? I see this in some but not all sources for FHR breakpoints
2. What do I do with my extra points from
Holy Shield
? I put them into
Charge
for testing. Is it worth synergizing
Charge
?
3. What weapons do you recommend? I am mostly considering BOTD, Death, and Fury druid weapons right now (reapers, etc)

This is for playing mostly p1 online. I am also still open to going the 1h weapon route if someone has a fun build suggestion
2handed axes maces and polearms are capped at 6 frame
Zeal
, according to my calculator; swords and spears 5 frame.
botd in an
Eth
warpike w. maxed
Zeal
Sacrifice
Fanaticism
, should = crazy damage...someone should maxroll it...
OP
Thanks, yeah I have been doing some building on maxroll with their standard zealot build. Death
Colossus Sword
has the same calculated DPS as Grief + Phoenix, so that is very nice damage. eBOTD WP is almost as strong, about 10% less DPS overall

https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/jb010odn

I was also thinking an ethereal reaper's toll would be worth testing, but I am worried about that 6 frame
Cap
being too slow
OP
In case anyone cares, I settled on an ethereal arioc’s needle for my build.

Some reasons:
DPS is very good—calculated to be equivalent to ebotd in a
Ghost Spear
. I like that the ias requirements are extremely flexible compared to ebotd warpike and especially Death—this means you can wear whatever gear you want, or if needed overstack ias to mitigate effects of
Decrepify
and
Holy Freeze
. The secondary mods are also mostly useful, and the design as held by a paladin looks pretty cool—even if the
Spear
Zeal
animation is kind of ridiculous

I’m still not sure about
Spear
-specific fhr, so I guess I’ll test it myself. And the skill allocations I’ll figure out and test as I go
Have you kept playing this build? I recently leveled a zealer who's using an ebotd
Berserker Axe
(I don't want to use Grief) and HoZ, but I find it lacks range. I tried out an ebotd GPA at the best attack speed with Fanat, but it still felt kind of slow. Interested in knowing about your experience! :)
How about
Eth
Tomb Reaver
with 3os?

* I trade both ladder and non-ladder, please check before asking.
* All my trades are for runes, keys (especially KoT and KoH) and essences!
basicnecromancy wrote: 3 months ago
How about
Eth
Tomb Reaver
with 3os?
I'd love to try that. Just need to find one and socket it properly, haha.
OP
Maldoror wrote: 3 months ago
Have you kept playing this build? I recently leveled a zealer who's using an ebotd
Berserker Axe
(I don't want to use Grief) and HoZ, but I find it lacks range. I tried out an ebotd GPA at the best attack speed with Fanat, but it still felt kind of slow. Interested in knowing about your experience! :)
Hey, sorry I missed your post! I had a great ladder. Started sorc for the first time in a long time, and farmed some fun leveling weapons. I leveled my pally
Holy Fire
with
Kinemil's Awl
--tons of fun if you haven't tried, and on theme with a 2h zealot. I switched to
Fanaticism
halfway through nightmare with a
Kelpie Snare
. For hell, I made the worst rolled Oath of my life, in a
Balrog Blade
--still got me through hell easily

After that I built enough Wealth for an
Eth
Arioc's Needle
and a
Zod
, I started my initial build that I had plannned. From there I went through kind of a slow period messing around with different gloves, amulets, belts,
Boots
. Eventually I broke down and bought a highlords, and that finished my initial build. During this period, I discovered that my build is really weak to archers (no shield) and really struggles with resists (again, no shield)

My next major goal was to make Chains of Honor and Breath of the Dying. This second build was much stronger and much tankier. With verdungo's, I had 22% DR, which gave me enough time to bull rush any archer packs I came across in the pits. And I capped my res pretty easily, at least fire and light

But I craved more damage, so that led to build three: Death. I chose a
Colossus Sword
base, and my first roll was eh--ok. So I traded up for another set of runes and decided to splurge a little for a 13 ED base. The first roll on this base was 388 ED! From there on, I pretty much stuck to Death for a while. After a while I got restless and I tried an alternate variant build using a CoA with two IAS jewels,
Laying of Hands
, and
Metalgrid
. This variant hits the slightly slower 5/11
Zeal
breakpoint, but has exceptional survivability, chance to hit, and still excellent all-around damage, more than enough for p1

From there, I focused more on building a semi-budget lightning sorc. Then I found a perfect
Raven Frost
, which I traded for 6
Ber
. With those runes, I spent a bunch of time making a max damage singer build, which is another story entirely

I ended the season with enough Wealth to circle back to my zealot and make a Pride merc and Fortitude. After this I was tired of trading and felt like returning to single player. My ending build is:
Eth
Arioc's Needle
(3/226), gface, highlords, LoH, fort, gore riders, string, dual leech ring,
Raven Frost
, assorted damage charms, Pride merc

But my favorite build was definitely
Eth
Death CS (388), gface (IAS jewel), highlords, LoH, Chains of Honor, verdungo's/string, dual leech ring,
Raven Frost
, assorted damage charms, reaper's merc

Edit: forgot to add my skills. It’s standard
Zeal
and
Fanaticism
, but I also maxed
Charge
and
Vigor
as a synergy.
Charge
is very important for mobility, which you need for archer packs. Offense is your best defense here. It’s also just a lot of fun to one shot bulky monsters

Highly recommended, hope you all give it a try!
Hi. newcomer here

xigua 63

sir freezalot with Doom? or not off-meta enough?
I just wonder if
Archon Staff
eBotD would be a good option, too. :D

* I trade both ladder and non-ladder, please check before asking.
* All my trades are for runes, keys (especially KoT and KoH) and essences!
Pecassoo wrote: 3 months ago
Hi. newcomer here
Glad to be here.
marl71 wrote: 8 months ago
Yes, see this table here under the "Hit Recovery" section. You'll see paladins have a separate table for hit recovery with 2ht (spears) and stf (staves, polearms, 2h axes, 2h hammers) type weapons and they're slower than their hit recovery with other weapon types. It's translated from German so there might be a few spots with confusing grammar, it's good for the most part though.

http://www.mannm.org/d2library/faqtoids ... b_eng.html
OP
xigua wrote: 3 months ago
I considered this, but the fastest
Zeal
breakpoint with 2h axes is unfortunately capped at 6 frames. I also wasn't impressed by the damage calculations--if a weapon is not ethereal (or Grief) the physical damage is just sad for an endgame build
OP
basicnecromancy wrote: 3 months ago
I just wonder if
Archon Staff
eBotD would be a good option, too. :D
This was one of my original ideas, something I wanted to try. But
Zeal
is capped at 6 frames for staff class weapons. Probably a good weapon for a pure charger, though

Similar response, for a previous comment on
Eth
tombreaver.
Zeal
is too slow with polearms--I tested
Eth
reaper's toll and didn't like the feel of it
OP
Hi. newcomer here
Glad to be here.
Welcome!

xigua 63

marl71 wrote: 3 months ago
I considered this, but the fastest
Zeal
breakpoint with 2h axes is unfortunately capped at 6 frames. I also wasn't impressed by the damage calculations--if a weapon is not ethereal (or Grief) the physical damage is just sad for an endgame build
well - if you want the pinnacle of power you will have to play Mosaic :D

I think the idea is to play Doom in a BA, Exile, fana aura and
Zeal
- you can get to 4 frames (4)+8 and would need 54 IAS (fana 36) and 45 of that will come from Doom already - so highloards and you are good to go to pick whatever else you want.
But yea - the damage is probably not super duper I guess.

If you roll it well you can get to base of 223.5 dmg that will be multiplied by 664 from fana, 300 if you chose forti, 390 if Phoenix - but people say no because fire storm interrupts
Zeal
(?) - 565 from Pride might merc, 55 Steel rend... so without Phoenix you would end up at 3600 dmg per hit - not world classe but you get a lot of hits and also some added cold damage and a lot of safety - in addition we will have all the auras.
OP
I think the idea is to play Doom in a BA...But yea - the damage is probably not super duper I guess.
This post is about a 2h zealot build. But I considered making a Doom BA offline, in part to use on my zealot

I tend to measure damage in reference to Oath. A perfectly rolled Doom BA is about equivalent DPS to a mid-rolled Oath. Not bad DPS, just not what I consider endgame personally. Here is the calc: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/642mo03i
...Phoenix - but people say no because fire storm interrupts
Zeal
(?)
This is no longer the case in D2R, which is great, because it's a useful item for experimenting with different build ideas

xigua 63

would you use a 64ed Exile or a 450 ed Phoenix? I will try them both I guess - I just bought both in a moment of impulse

after testing Doom I can't agree more: it's not optimal for pala
OP
would you use a 64ed Exile or a 450 ed Phoenix?
450 ED Phoenix is a great roll, I would use that over anything! I think Exile mostly makes sense as a dedicated uber smiter shield. I don't see the appeal for general pvm
Zeal
use, except maybe hardcore, which I don't play. But I have never tested one before, so maybe I'm just missing out

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...