Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
4 replies   997 views

Description

Do you feel like no matter what you do in this game you don't find anything valuable?

Have you felt the crippling realisation that no matter where you farm you will be given the same dusty scrolls and stagnant potions?

Some of my friends IRL play just as much as me but are unable to find valuable items and runes, so how do I do it?

Let me offer a fresh perspective on loot and how luck affects you.

Imagine a slots machine, you know, the ones with the cherries 🍒 and 777 reels.

Now imagine that every type of monster is its own slot machine, each with its own loot table to pick items from with their own drop chances.

Spinning on the
Pindleskin
slot machine gives you a decent chance to get some nice items, but you can't play very fast.

Similarly
Baal
's slot machine would have the best chance for many valuable items, but you can't play this very fast either.

Using a
Fallen
's slot machine is not going to give you a great chance of finding much, but you can spam the s**t out of it...

Now, before you tell me how stupid I am for claiming the
Fallen
in Act 1 are a good source of farming (they are not, relatively); let me explain an alternative way of seeing the probability of item drops.

Usually, if we assume the chance to get an item is, let's say 1 in 10; after 2 runs you may say either; there is a 20% chance (10% + 10%), a 19% chance (10% + 10% of {100% - 10%}), or 2 independent 10% chances.

The 20% comes from the perspective of hindsight (looking in the past), the 19% from foresight (looking in the future), and the 2 independent 10% chances are the actual chances that occur in the moment (looking at the present).

This means if you make 100 rolls at 1%, you are not guaranteed a success, nor is your chance to succeed higher than 1%, because each of those rolls happen independently of each other.

So if we go back to our slot machine analogy, EVERY time you kill a mob, you get to spin the reel again, and again, and again.

Now, obviously we want the best chances, right? So why is it not optimal to farm the Bosses who have the best odds?

Because of time. You can't just
Teleport
to
The Countess
and leave the packs along the way. You're in the area, you probably one-tap the mobs anyway, just take out the big groups and leave the stragglers that run.

If there is a second that passes in which you are not slaughtering the demons of hell like a slot machine junkie on steroids then don't hope to get much out of the session other than the pleasure of watching the VFX of your skills (Path of Exile, anyone?).

How many hours will you play today? 1, 3, 8? How many runs can you do in one hour?
How many elite/champion packs are you averaging per run?
How long is spent running/teleporting to your destination?
How long are you spending in town or checking items that have little value?
Have you worked out a town routine for your farming route?

#cleanupyourrun #optimizeit #beefficient

Tl;Dr = Speed is King in ARPGs!
Description by Antcoul345

Can be used to make Runewords:

Do you feel like no matter what you do in this game you don't find anything valuable?

Have you felt the crippling realisation that no matter where you farm you will be given the same dusty scrolls and stagnant potions?

Some of my friends IRL play just as much as me but are unable to find valuable items and runes, so how do I do it?

Let me offer a fresh perspective on loot and how luck affects you.

Imagine a slots machine, you know, the ones with the cherries 🍒 and 777 reels.

Now imagine that every type of monster is its own slot machine, each with its own loot table to pick items from with their own drop chances.

Spinning on the
Pindleskin
slot machine gives you a decent chance to get some nice items, but you can't play very fast.

Similarly
Baal
's slot machine would have the best chance for many valuable items, but you can't play this very fast either.

Using a
Fallen
's slot machine is not going to give you a great chance of finding much, but you can spam the s**t out of it...

Now, before you tell me how stupid I am for claiming the
Fallen
in Act 1 are a good source of farming (they are not, relatively); let me explain an alternative way of seeing the probability of item drops.

Usually, if we assume the chance to get an item is, let's say 1 in 10; after 2 runs you may say either; there is a 20% chance (10% + 10%), a 19% chance (10% + 10% of {100% - 10%}), or 2 independent 10% chances.

The 20% comes from the perspective of hindsight (looking in the past), the 19% from foresight (looking in the future), and the 2 independent 10% chances are the actual chances that occur in the moment (looking at the present).

This means if you make 100 rolls at 1%, you are not guaranteed a success, nor is your chance to succeed higher than 1%, because each of those rolls happen independently of each other.

So if we go back to our slot machine analogy, EVERY time you kill a mob, you get to spin the reel again, and again, and again.

Now, obviously we want the best chances, right? So why is it not optimal to farm the Bosses who have the best odds?

Because of time. You can't just
Teleport
to
The Countess
and leave the packs along the way. You're in the area, you probably one-tap the mobs anyway, just take out the big groups and leave the stragglers that run.

If there is a second that passes in which you are not slaughtering the demons of hell like a slot machine junkie on steroids then don't hope to get much out of the session other than the pleasure of watching the VFX of your skills (Path of Exile, anyone?).

How many hours will you play today? 1, 3, 8? How many runs can you do in one hour?
How many elite/champion packs are you averaging per run?
How long is spent running/teleporting to your destination?
How long are you spending in town or checking items that have little value?
Have you worked out a town routine for your farming route?

#cleanupyourrun #optimizeit #beefficient

Tl;Dr = Speed is King in ARPGs!
Just walk through the entire act. Act 3 I personally enjoy get lots of skillers. 5 although boring ( imo ) I get my best runes walking through there. Yeah farming specific spots repeatedly is technically going to be fastest and best chance but just enjoying the game doesn't make it a tedious task and it's just having fun and finding good stuff

Xbox GT: Cinomed541 add me if you need someone to play with.

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
Maximum chances are when you get your game filled with 7 friendly bodies, stayin in camp when you go farm 8ppl it - if you're strong enough to sweep 8ppl at least relatively fast n stable. This way you nn to farm even, really - just go ahead n sweep everything. Runes will drop.
it's rng.

It is RNG of course but every video I've ever watched on YT about farming has come to the same conclusion, it's better to run through the game killing boss packs and minions than to simply
Teleport
to act bosses.

PC | PSN | Switch | Europe | UTC + 0
All trades are PC, PSN or Switch!
All trades will be conducted with a cup of tea.
Offering a free cross platform trading service!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...