Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
40 replies   1235 views

Description

Didn't find any post about Brand runeword specifically (apart from the "Tales from a Bowmancer"), so I was wondering could that rw be utilized somehow but also not necessarily bound by Necro only? I was actually having a lot of fun with
Guided Arrow
on both my Bowadin (cold ranger Paladin) and just leveling up Physical Bowazon (which ended up using
Windforce
mainly with
Strafe
and occasionally with Multi Shot but rarely GA even tho it's usually part of that build as well). I was playing a lot with
Widowmaker
and it's "magical arrow basic attack" is a lot of fun alone, plus when you mix GA on top of that it's super fun and lot less stressful about proper positioning and whatnot.
I would assume that having Brand yields more actual dmg than just using
Widowmaker
, right?

Now my main question is... If I was to use the Brand, how would it behave in combination with other skills since it has that 100% proc of
Bone Spear
? Like for example with Multi Shot? -And since it has a basic explosive arrows, does that means when you fire 1 shot with Multi Shot only your middle arrow is followed by a single
Bone Spear
which then explodes on impact mimicking explosive shot but you also get a lot of physical arrows or you it just fills your whole screen with a bunch of Bone Spears or how in the actual hell does that work? Also how does it behave in combination with, for other example,
Guided Arrow
's auto-targeting? :D The basic idea was to make a full Magic-based Bowzon (maybe a Magic CBowzon? who knows) and see how it goes.

Also would it be smart to build it in a non-Amazon specific bow so other class(es) can use it too, for example, I have another thing in mind and that is to make a Bow Necro but using Brand exclusively (maybe in combination with something less often used like
Bone Spirit
). On that second note, having fully synergized
Bone Spear
should significantly improve it's proc dmg, right?
Your opinions, suggestions and experience will be essential for tailoring my path. :)

P.S. I know Nate ended up using Faith for his RA and he said it made his Necro be "on a different level" than with the Brand, but I really want to try out Brand as a rw and see how it behaves. However I'm not that eager in jumping into that adventure absolutely blindly since I'm kinda low on all HRs and my Offline characters need some serious bases (offline grind became very meh for me).
Description by TheDoo

Can be used to make Runewords:

TheDoo 247

Europe PC
Didn't find any post about Brand runeword specifically (apart from the "Tales from a Bowmancer"), so I was wondering could that rw be utilized somehow but also not necessarily bound by Necro only? I was actually having a lot of fun with
Guided Arrow
on both my Bowadin (cold ranger Paladin) and just leveling up Physical Bowazon (which ended up using
Windforce
mainly with
Strafe
and occasionally with Multi Shot but rarely GA even tho it's usually part of that build as well). I was playing a lot with
Widowmaker
and it's "magical arrow basic attack" is a lot of fun alone, plus when you mix GA on top of that it's super fun and lot less stressful about proper positioning and whatnot.
I would assume that having Brand yields more actual dmg than just using
Widowmaker
, right?

Now my main question is... If I was to use the Brand, how would it behave in combination with other skills since it has that 100% proc of
Bone Spear
? Like for example with Multi Shot? -And since it has a basic explosive arrows, does that means when you fire 1 shot with Multi Shot only your middle arrow is followed by a single
Bone Spear
which then explodes on impact mimicking explosive shot but you also get a lot of physical arrows or you it just fills your whole screen with a bunch of Bone Spears or how in the actual hell does that work? Also how does it behave in combination with, for other example,
Guided Arrow
's auto-targeting? :D The basic idea was to make a full Magic-based Bowzon (maybe a Magic CBowzon? who knows) and see how it goes.

Also would it be smart to build it in a non-Amazon specific bow so other class(es) can use it too, for example, I have another thing in mind and that is to make a Bow Necro but using Brand exclusively (maybe in combination with something less often used like
Bone Spirit
). On that second note, having fully synergized
Bone Spear
should significantly improve it's proc dmg, right?
Your opinions, suggestions and experience will be essential for tailoring my path. :)

P.S. I know Nate ended up using Faith for his RA and he said it made his Necro be "on a different level" than with the Brand, but I really want to try out Brand as a rw and see how it behaves. However I'm not that eager in jumping into that adventure absolutely blindly since I'm kinda low on all HRs and my Offline characters need some serious bases (offline grind became very meh for me).
Answeredby Schnorki1 week agoGo to post
That's a lot of summoning... :D

Rewriting this because my browser decided to randomly close itself right as I got done. -.-

The amp proc is great and would happen quite a bit as 35% is really not bad at all. The problem being, it is 'when struck', meaning you actually have to get hit and (to maximize getting hit) would turn into a melee zon to make it happen. That comes with the obvious downside of actually taking damage but also less obvious downsides such as wasting time to get into melee range, losing a lot of the benefit of multishot fanning due to crap positioning and so on and so forth. Nice in theory, not so much in practice.

Would be a lot more interesting for a shifter druid potentially as they can actually melee with a bow, meaning you do get a real use out of it without massively sacrificing on other fronts (though it probably still isn't the ideal weapon choice there either).

Bone spear, fun as it sounds, is a bit (read: a lot) terrible without synergies. Additionally, you will never get a full screen of multishot bone spears, sadly. Firstly because despite being 100%, it is 'on striking', meaning you do need a successful hit to actually land in order to proc it. Additionally, multishot only checks 'on striking' on the original 2 arrows, not the countless arrows beyond those. So even if every arrow lands, you'd still only get 2 procs in the center of your MS fan and no procs from there towards the sides of it.

This is your typical MS outcome (0-2 procs at a time):
image.png
Now strafe on the other hand gives you a metric boatload of spears reliably:
image.png
image.png
image.png
Even with strafe though, it is imo a visual gimmick more than anything else. Not something I would ever use for actual performance (sadly).

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

mhlg 878

Americas PC
I've been tempted to try a Brand Zon build. The 35% chance to cast a level 14
Amplify Damage
which increases it's area of effect and gives it a 47 second duration alone makes it tempting. With a
Strafe
zon amplify would be almost always proc'd. That along with 100% chance to cast lvl 18
Bone Spear
, ignore target defense, 20% deadly strike, and prevent monster heal makes it an interesting consideration.

I seem to recall that Schnorki either tried or considered it?

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
OP

TheDoo 247

Europe PC
mhlg wrote: 1 week ago
*Sigh* Can you summon 1 Schnorki for me please? xd
Thanks for the input, yeah, on paper it looks very appealing.

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

mhlg 878

Americas PC
TheDoo wrote: 1 week ago
mhlg wrote: 1 week ago
I've done Hell Chaos runs in under 5 minutes just using a
Witchwild String
because of its amplify, and this bow should easily top it. It won't be a killer like
Windforce
or Faith but it will make for an interesting build.

Okay, now for the summoning. Abracadabra Schnorki appear!!! It might take a while. :D

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news... but Brand gives 35% Chance To Cast Level 14
Amplify Damage
When Struck

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

Lanceor wrote: 1 week ago
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news... but Brand gives 35% Chance To Cast Level 14
Amplify Damage
When Struck
Since you point it out. I am actually curious about the wording of these terms, on striking, when struck...

On striking, does this only mean as long as you cast a spell / attack?
When struck, this means the spell / attack lands on target, right? Or it means the char is being hit?
Flyhorse wrote: 1 week ago
Amplify Damage
When Struck
Since you point it out. I am actually curious about the wording of these terms, on striking, when struck...

When struck, this means the spell / attack lands on target, right? Or it means the char is being hit?
"On striking" means you hit something, "when struck" means something hits you
OP

TheDoo 247

Europe PC
Dromar186 wrote: 1 week ago
Flyhorse wrote: 1 week ago
Amplify Damage
When Struck

"On striking" means you hit something, "when struck" means something hits you
...and "on attack" means whenever you attack (don't need to hit) AFAIK but you need to actually use it, not like cast a spell with it in your hands.

I've got an
Enchant
sorc that uses
Demon Machine
for the "fire explosive
Bolts
". I just realized Brand also fire explosive
Arrows
. Did you just inadvertently inform me of an upgrade to
Demon Machine
???

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
OP

TheDoo 247

Europe PC
Knappogue wrote: 1 week ago
I've got an
Enchant
sorc that uses
Demon Machine
for the "fire explosive
Bolts
". I just realized Brand also fire explosive
Arrows
. Did you just inadvertently inform me of an upgrade to
Demon Machine
???
Just have in mind that
Demon Machine
has a lot bigger IAS,
Pierce
(kinda important for the explosion part) and base dmg. Brand in a bow can achieve as high as -10, I think and about half a normal dmg. Don't also forget that
Demon Machine
can be socketed with something, like for example, IAS jewel thus achieve the 2nd (or was it 3rd?) min. possible frames? :)
Now, theoretically, you could build a Brand inside of a
Demon Crossbow
which has -60 att speed, which leads me to original question, is it maybe better to try that path instead of classical bow one? :)

I considered making one once for an act 1 merc, boosting damage for a singer barb. But someone warned me that they tested it and it didn't work. Which makes sense, because everything around you is stunned, so your merc doesn't take hits to proc amp damage very often

Edit: my point being that you could use it on a merc for any physical damage build. You would want
Shaftstop
and vamp gaze, lowest possible defense
OP

TheDoo 247

Europe PC
I think and about half a normal dmg.
This part is not true tho have to correct myself (sorry for the double post), I just put it into maxroll and it says the lowest rolled Brand in
Blade Bow
has about the same (if not a tiny bit more) dmg than
Demon Machine
. However, the DPS is a lot lower. BUT, if you indeed use a
Demon Crossbow
as a base, you do need 1 source of additional IAS to achieve the lowest possible frames, but the total DPS is actually higher than with DM. You do lose a big chunk of
Pierce
and AR for much higher lvl explosive shots + other things (
Bone Spear
proc, ITD, Knockback, Deadly Strike). Options are basically down to do you switch
Magefist
for some IAS gloves (LoH are very decent here) or do you use Highlord's instead of Mara's (or whatever else you are using, maybe like +3 fire skills magic amu).

Just have in mind that
Demon Machine
has a lot bigger IAS,
Pierce
(kinda important for the explosion part) and base dmg.
Oooo, I didn't even think of the
Pierce
or the IAS...hmmmmm. I have the
Jah
to waste, I might try a Brand for fun and see. I currently have a 5/5 fire facet in the upped
Demon Machine
. In your maxroll, did you happen to compare with an upped version?
Options are basically down to do you switch
Magefist
for some IAS gloves (LoH are very decent here) or do you use Highlord's instead of Mara's (or whatever else you are using, maybe like +3 fire skills magic amu).
According to Warren's IAS calculator I only need 8 IAS with my sorc using
Demon Machine
to reach max attack frames. I use some crafted 10 IAS, dual leech, knockback gloves.

Sorry to distract from your original post, it just got me thinking lol

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

ShadowHeart 1844Moderator

Europe PC
@Schnorki, I summon thee, your attention has been requested :P

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3211Moderator

PC
That's a lot of summoning... :D

Rewriting this because my browser decided to randomly close itself right as I got done. -.-

The amp proc is great and would happen quite a bit as 35% is really not bad at all. The problem being, it is 'when struck', meaning you actually have to get hit and (to maximize getting hit) would turn into a melee zon to make it happen. That comes with the obvious downside of actually taking damage but also less obvious downsides such as wasting time to get into melee range, losing a lot of the benefit of multishot fanning due to crap positioning and so on and so forth. Nice in theory, not so much in practice.

Would be a lot more interesting for a shifter druid potentially as they can actually melee with a bow, meaning you do get a real use out of it without massively sacrificing on other fronts (though it probably still isn't the ideal weapon choice there either).

Bone Spear
, fun as it sounds, is a bit (read: a lot) terrible without synergies. Additionally, you will never get a full screen of multishot Bone spears, sadly. Firstly because despite being 100%, it is 'on striking', meaning you do need a successful hit to actually land in order to proc it. Additionally, multishot only checks 'on striking' on the original 2
Arrows
, not the countless
Arrows
beyond those. So even if every arrow lands, you'd still only get 2 procs in the center of your MS fan and no procs from there towards the sides of it.

This is your typical MS outcome (0-2 procs at a time): Now
Strafe
on the other hand gives you a metric boatload of spears reliably: Even with
Strafe
though, it is imo a visual gimmick more than anything else. Not something I would ever use for actual performance (sadly).
This post was marked as the best answer.
If at least there was a
Strafe
oskill item for the Brand Necromancer... 😓😓

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion

mhlg 878

Americas PC
Amplify Damage
When Struck
Yea, I seemed to have overlooked that little fact. :D

Schnorki 3211Moderator

PC
fredkid wrote: 1 week ago
If at least there was a
Strafe
oskill item for the Brand Necromancer... 😓😓
Just as a random fun exercise:
Assuming that were a thing and considering that you could just run around with a Beast IG, you could probably get pretty solid
Strafe
speed on a necro. Assuming further (just for the hell of it) you could actually push such a fana necro to an ideal 4/2/6
Strafe
, you'd...actually still be surprisingly bad. :(

Or more specifically, highjacking some quick Maxroll numbers as a base:
Bone Spear
scales too well at higher levels and necros have access to too many +skills to really make Brand worth it, even if you could push a maxed out
Strafe
with it. In a perfect world (see above), you'd be at something like 2/3rds of the damage, give or take. Certainly not bad for pure magic dmg but also nowhere close to the real necro (who could be pushed beyond the 51 used here mind you).
At the same time, you wouldn't be in a perfect paper world. Sure, your actual dmg would move up a bit due to the physical component and potentially a bit of
Pierce
(if that'd be affordable without losing too much IAS) but at the same time, you'd also drop again (significantly) due to lack of AR (at least on mobs where the ITD doesn't kick in) and esp. on single targets even more so due to the NHD on
Strafe
that would inherently also impose the same NHD on the BS procs.

Would probably be just good enough to be a fun side build but most likely no more than that. Certainly nothing game breaking.. :)
Not 100% on this, but do believe that my golem was triggering the 35% Chance to cast
Amplify Damage

This effect occurred often and pretty sure it wasn't me getting hit each time

Cow runs was a good example as I'd always avoid being hit, but sure enough there was plenty of Amp to go around

That's what made Bowmancer interesting. no need for Curses or CE. Just lots and lots of
Arrows

Also like to add, my A1 Merc carried the Faith so still gained the benefits of
Fanaticism
, but am curious what Nate used for his Merc

All Trades are Negotiable. Long Live
Nihlathak

Schnorki 3211Moderator

PC
Upon further investigation...
Strafe
Brand necro is indeed kinda fun! :D
Completely broken since necros have neither a sound nor an animation for
Strafe
so you get the zon voice with no animation lock (but still frozen in place so...running man, basically) and as expected (see above) nowhere near the performance of a full Bone necro but definitely good enough to clean house on lower and mid player counts at a decent pace. :)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...