Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   463 views

Description

Tl;dr version: where should I invest skill points on a fire bowa once I've maxed the fire skills and
Valkyrie
?

Long version:

I'm slowly building a fire bowa on ladder, just because it's cool. I'm a long way from optimal gear but she's already doing pretty well and I'm loving it: level 85 with Melody in a +3
Matriarchal Bow
(Hand of Justice is the goal), a bad Flickering Flame (-11 to enemy resistance and a level 4
Resist Fire
aura), 4 low fire facets in a basic
Archon Plate
(-12, +16). Merc is just a Rogue with Harmony for the
Vigor
aura.

I've watched a lot of Bowa's videos which have been great but one area where I'm still unsure is skill distribution, so I thought I'd check in with the smart folks of d2io. I have currently maxed
Fire Arrow
Exploding Arrow
Immolation Arrow
, and
Magic Arrow
. I then have 1 in all the passive skills with the exception of
Valkyrie
, which I am adding to as I level up.

However,
Magic Arrow
is essentially useless with this bow, the physical damage is way too low and I can't see how that will change with Hand of Justice. Even with sub-optimal gear and no Infinity, the fire skills simply out perform
Magic Arrow
because of the
Flame Rift
and because AR does not affect the fire damage.

I therefore want to redistribute the points but I can't decide where to put them.
Critical Strike
seems useless for the same reason as
Magic Arrow
(but maybe ok if I invest in both?), the
Cold Arrow
spells require too many points to be effective. If I understand well,
Valkyrie
only needs to be level 17 to be a complete tank,
Slow Missiles
and
Decoy
feel like one hit wonders, and
Pierce
is already 100% with just one point.

As I see it, my only other options are
Evade
, because I'm not one to stand still for long so
Evade
>
Dodge
/ avoid, and
Penetrate
because (if I've understood correctly), I need the physical arrow to hit in order for the chance to
Pierce
% to be calculated and I'm not putting any more points into dex than my gear requires.

Any thoughts? What would you do?
Description by Janet the Java

Can be used to make Runewords:

Tl;dr version: where should I invest skill points on a fire bowa once I've maxed the fire skills and
Valkyrie
?

Long version:

I'm slowly building a fire bowa on ladder, just because it's cool. I'm a long way from optimal gear but she's already doing pretty well and I'm loving it: level 85 with Melody in a +3
Matriarchal Bow
(Hand of Justice is the goal), a bad Flickering Flame (-11 to enemy resistance and a level 4
Resist Fire
aura), 4 low fire facets in a basic
Archon Plate
(-12, +16). Merc is just a Rogue with Harmony for the
Vigor
aura.

I've watched a lot of Bowa's videos which have been great but one area where I'm still unsure is skill distribution, so I thought I'd check in with the smart folks of d2io. I have currently maxed
Fire Arrow
Exploding Arrow
Immolation Arrow
, and
Magic Arrow
. I then have 1 in all the passive skills with the exception of
Valkyrie
, which I am adding to as I level up.

However,
Magic Arrow
is essentially useless with this bow, the physical damage is way too low and I can't see how that will change with Hand of Justice. Even with sub-optimal gear and no Infinity, the fire skills simply out perform
Magic Arrow
because of the
Flame Rift
and because AR does not affect the fire damage.

I therefore want to redistribute the points but I can't decide where to put them.
Critical Strike
seems useless for the same reason as
Magic Arrow
(but maybe ok if I invest in both?), the
Cold Arrow
spells require too many points to be effective. If I understand well,
Valkyrie
only needs to be level 17 to be a complete tank,
Slow Missiles
and
Decoy
feel like one hit wonders, and
Pierce
is already 100% with just one point.

As I see it, my only other options are
Evade
, because I'm not one to stand still for long so
Evade
>
Dodge
/ avoid, and
Penetrate
because (if I've understood correctly), I need the physical arrow to hit in order for the chance to
Pierce
% to be calculated and I'm not putting any more points into dex than my gear requires.

Any thoughts? What would you do?

PC | PSN | Switch | Europe | UTC + 0
All trades are PC, PSN or Switch!
All trades will be conducted with a cup of tea.
Offering a free cross platform trading service!
Magic Arrow
- I run physical bowa, and this skill is how I kill immunes (very high dmg, but u have different bows so yeah your dmg wont be near 1k-9k)
crit strike - your damage comes from elemental type of dmg, so you have 0value for physical dmg
bows for elemental - think about Mist. Mist is like swiss knife, its in top 3 bows for any build (sadly in every scenario there are better bows, but u cant go wrong with it)
Hand of Justice - that actually never crossed my mind to put it into bow - but yeah it can work

You can run Enigma with this build, if u go wizard spike + Spirit on off hand, you get high FCR.

Regarding skills:

to max fire build you need 62skill points. Get decent
Pierce
(not sure if u use
Razortail
or not).
and that leaves you with +/- 40points (if u go Mist, you can just save skill points and just put 3 into
Dodge
/avoid/
Evade
and that can be all from passive and magic skills - based on your AR you might need 1penetrate - its nice bonus imho worthy 2skill points anyway)

you can even max cold
Arrows

https://www.icy-veins.com/d2/frost-fire ... azon-build

to get
Valkyrie
on lvl 8 or 17 is always great defensive way to build up ur amazon

but I am not much familiar with fire bowazon. I would max both elements cold and fire, if u put Faith on ur act1 merc and u use
Matriarchal Bow
you can get fastest shooting for few IAS.

I would build it like this:
https://www.icy-veins.com/d2/amazon-ski ... -20*20--&1

regarding IAS: Hand of Justice has +33IAS and with Faith with fana on 11+ you need 48IAS, so if u put 1x 15IAS jewel into body armor, you can focus ur gear on +skills and -enemy fire res

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel
also Dragon armor can be interesting too. but then you might need Infinity on merc

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel
OP
Thanks Flash :)

I'm a long way from Hand of Justice / Dragon / Faith / Mist so I'd rather not build around these just yet. I do have
Razortail
and with +skills can get 100%
Pierce
with just one point.

I may be wrong but suspect Hand of Justice is BiS weapon and a jeweler's armour with facets is BiS armour.

I tried cold + fire when levelling but found the cold skills underwhelming without any -res. Maybe I can try again now that I have better gear and more +skills but I am really focusing the gear around fire so I suspect cold will always underperform.

I think
Penetrate
is probably the way to go. Get chance to hit as high as possible so that 90% of
Arrows
Pierce
and
Immolation Arrow
is then much more effective.

I'll bring up a voice for the cold archer.

Cold archer needs 41 skills spent into bow tree total. Rest can go into passives.
You'll be using the
Freezing Arrow
only which deals around 4k cold damage in an AoE on top of whatever little physical you have and most importantly, has no cooldown.

Fire archer needs to spend 63 skill points in bow tree and will be using
Exploding Arrow
for around 2k damage in an AoE and
Immolation Arrow
with damage on par with
Freezing Arrow
but 0.6s cooldown tacked on.

The BiS bow would be Ice and Phoenix, resp. If nothing else, Phoenix has -28% fire res compared to HoJ's -20% and extra 14%ML and
Redemption
aura for comfortable farming. HoJ will reach a better breakpoint (by 1 frame) but that won't help with
Immolation Arrow

Penetrate
at 100% is needed for both archers since the AoE damage is multiplied by number of targets pierced. Cold archer can reach 8 FPA with 75 IAS with Ice in
Matriarchal Bow
, fire archer 11-10 FPA with Phoenix/HoJ in
Grand Matron Bow
. Matriarchal is a no-no here.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP
Yeh I know an Ice/cold bowa is objectively better but I'm building a fire bowa because that's what I want. :p

As for Phoenix vs HoJ, you're probably right, but it's all academic really. Based on my current pace, I estimate it will take me about 2-3 years to get the spare runes needed for either...

Out of interest, why would a Matriarchal be a no no?

Didn't want to sway you on the cold archer side, just a follow-up to the "found the cold skills underwhelming without any -res" and you'd be right, but it gets better. :)

1) Because Fire archer, as opposed to cold, deals a respectable amount of physical damage and both HoJ and Phoenix add a lot of ED, namely Phoenix at 350-400.

2) Because Phoenix has no IAS on the bow itself and you will surely be wearing Flickering Flame meaning you'll have at most 40 IAS from gear (gloves+amulet). You'd need more than that to make MB better than GMB with Phoenix.

3) Regarding Hand of Justice, yes you can reach 9FPA with MB as opposed to 11 FPA with Phoenix GMB which helps only one of your two shooting skills. If you are hellbent on HoJ, both bases are ok. However, you will be leeching less with MB at 9 FPA than with GMB at 10 FPA.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...