Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   1938 views

What are you thoughts on a middle man for cross-platform trading?

Poll ended at 2 years ago

I'm ok with it. Even if the middle man is a stranger with good reputation (67%)
I'm indifferent about it. (6%)
I'm not ok with it. I don't trust anyone to be a middle man for me. (6%)
I would only trust a friend to do it (22%)
Total votes: 18
Total votes: 18

Description

What do you guys think of a middle man between two traders that want to trade, but are from different platforms?

I got the game on Xbox originally to play with a friend, then on the Switch for my mom (Old gamer ^^), and now on PC because I missed my mouse and keyboard, and the server browser. (Party finder still broken after all this time...)

So I've been thinking, I've done some trading for a bit on d2r and legacy, and, until we get a proper cross-platform solution for the game, has anyone tried being a middle man for their friends or randoms on this site or elsewhere to trade between platforms? if so, how did you do it?

Since I have all these copies of the game, I figured I might as well put these game copies to use and help people trade, at least.
Before I do that, I want to know the community's opinion on the subject.

(P.S. I'm not sure how polls work here just yet, so I'll leave it running for a week and see what we get!)

Edit: Updated poll answers to be more accurate
Description by Peaceful_Leaf

Can be used to make Runewords:

What do you guys think of a middle man between two traders that want to trade, but are from different platforms?

I got the game on Xbox originally to play with a friend, then on the Switch for my mom (Old gamer ^^), and now on PC because I missed my mouse and keyboard, and the server browser. (Party finder still broken after all this time...)

So I've been thinking, I've done some trading for a bit on d2r and legacy, and, until we get a proper cross-platform solution for the game, has anyone tried being a middle man for their friends or randoms on this site or elsewhere to trade between platforms? if so, how did you do it?

Since I have all these copies of the game, I figured I might as well put these game copies to use and help people trade, at least.
Before I do that, I want to know the community's opinion on the subject.

(P.S. I'm not sure how polls work here just yet, so I'll leave it running for a week and see what we get!)

Edit: Updated poll answers to be more accurate

Your
Jah
4 my feet pics

Xbox : Pockt Opossm
Switch : 8280-1208-2530
Mainly on Xbox n Pc tho :)
Usually online around 18:00 - 23:30 EST (-5 UTC)

Schnorki 3276Moderator

PC
Can't say I've tried/used it but I see the point to it, considering the sometimes extreme difference in pricing across platforms.

I do believe there was a middleman offer in player services at some point. Not sure how that worked out though.

That having been said, unless you can offer risk-free and hassle-free middleman services, I would expect it may be a bit of a challenge.

By risk- and hassle-free I mean you would purchase the item with your runes and then resell it to the actual buyer for their runes (or whatever payment is) as a second step.
Otherwise either the seller or the buyer will have to trust you with their item/payment and nothing in return and - possibly even more of a hinderance - you would have an additional trading and time investment step that needs to be accomplished because you need to a) get item from seller b) give item to buyer for payment c) give payment to seller, meaning you need to coordinate with the seller twice. Surprisingly often, it is hard enough to even coordinate one overlap in time windows to get a trade done. Let alone two or one longer one with 3 people.
Before I bought this on Xbox, I played on PC with my brother at launch. Bad servers couldn't stay in games or join each other and the dick stopped. Fast forward to about right around Christmas. A group of "The bois" on Xbox kept harassing me to get it while it was on sale for $20 so I did. Now own two copies, and sometimes an item will be cheaper on pc and I will buy it and resell on Xbox. Enough to warrant buying a second copy just for that ? Hell no, but before I got my Enigma buying najs puzzler from a guy on pc cause no one on Xbox had one for sale helped greatly. And ironically I made a Services post saying I would middle man for people between Xbox and pc. Cause sometimes you forget to hit the filter and see a great deal, just to be cock blocked by the type of machinery they're playing on. I see it being no different than a bump during a rush. You don't have to but if you want something you can't find for a decent price on your system and someone on another system has the item you're looking for, I'd rather pay a little than lose out on that kickers deal. I offered to do this for a
Pul
or any
Key
on my post. I'm not greedy, nor trying to get rich by doing it just kinda bridge the gap between cross platform for those who cannot. So if you find a great deal on Xbox and they're on pc or vice versa I don't mind being that middle man, especially if I got pay for my time which as I said I
Charge
a
Pul
or any 1
Key
. Not gonna break anyone's bank and everyone leaves with something. And I get it, playing d2 back in the day, people were straight cut throat. I still have trust issues from people being my friend for months then jack me during an xfer. It ain't like that anymore, people are much more friendly and I ain't a 13 yr old ashore anymore.

Xbox GT: Cinomed541 add me if you need someone to play with.
OP
Cinomed541 wrote: 2 years ago
I said I
Charge
a
Pul
or any 1
Key
. Not gonna break anyone's bank and everyone leaves with something.
I like that idea. For me, I would add that, for anything charged with
Pul
or + , there would be fees like yours. Give the new characters some breathing room to build their Wealth as well.
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
Surprisingly often, it is hard enough to even coordinate one overlap in time windows to get a trade done. Let alone two or one longer one with 3 people.
I imagine you could work around this by establishing your own times in advance. Not that it's some magic trick that will solve the problem, but at least you'll have some sort of stability. The party you are working with will know that you will be there during 6PM to 9 PM UTC and will be on the look out for the other party, for example.

I can imagine it being a problem deterring people from the idea, though. (If paying in advance to make the trade go faster doesn't deter them in the first place.) (Still conflicted on how to do that. Should they pay in advance to the middleman or should the moons line up and have the 3 people online at the same time? Or I guess you could start a private discord group with the 3 participants and work it out from there...)

Edit: typos

Your
Jah
4 my feet pics

Xbox : Pockt Opossm
Switch : 8280-1208-2530
Mainly on Xbox n Pc tho :)
Usually online around 18:00 - 23:30 EST (-5 UTC)
I just know when I started using this site I kept bidding on different consoles and kept missing out on some sweet deals. That and still have only got 1 hate
Key
from
The Summoner
since launch. I don't expect any great deals to go through a middle man. Yeah, I wouldn't trust some guy I'm giving a
Key
to, to transfer my Enigma or anything. Like I said still got PTSD from back on middle school from having "friends" jack my whole hammerdin while I xfered to another guy. But it's just like rushing or having someone come into your ubers game. They might jack your torch and leave you high n dry but most the time they're good people. The amount of people I've played with in D2R have been way more chill and reliable than LoD ever was. Have I been dicked out of payments still ? Yeah, but that's not on me. Just cause one dog bite you doesn't make you dislike all dogs for the rest of your life, you just be more cautious next time. And maybe everything goes great and you got what you were looking for and start widening your search criteria to the other consoles if your particular one ain't selling the things you need. I enjoy playing with my buddies on Xbox but I can't use my summoner that well cause you can't Tele stomp so your skeletons scatter. Each console has its pros n cons and some people are way more lucky than others ( F
The Summoner
) I'm just trying to do what most people agree on and companies refuse to give us... cross platform play. I doubt anyone has got D.C. to spawn or successfully track him and kill him for an Anni on console. PC though, been tracking him since I was 14 and have the tools to do so on that platform. Things like that make someone offering this kinda service making things like Annis more accessible to everyone so it's not such a 1 sided market. I dunno, only have had one guy actually want to do it and everything went well. He got his Nightwing I believe it was they got their runes and then just traded him the Nightwing for that sweet H
Key
I needed to complete 3 full sets. And karma paid off by dropping a 19/18 pally torch at the end. And yeah, I get it. I've had things come up and no be able to complete some trades for 3-4 days. But also one of the things on PC is you can change servers to EU, Asia, America's. Consoles you're s.o.l. you wanna trade for something at 2am, no ones on. I hit EU or Asia server, lobby is full of games and people farming and looking for a good deal just like you. As long as your not dealing with someone who's trying squeeze every nickle and dime out of what they found usually people get it cause they have a life to. shit happens and are usually chill cause they're adults too, Have jobs family kids needy gfs that come before the game. If all your worried about is that
Ohm
you're trading for and D2 is life. Thats cool, you do you but don't expect my life to revolve around you trading items in a game. But if you got a guy they're on and wanna trade, I'm on and you need a middle man. Cool let's get payed and keep on grinding. I just threw it out there cause looking for stuff on Xbox lfg it's the same guys reposting their crap every 5 mins and it's nothing good. Guarantee way more of a player base on PC so more chance of someone selling what you need. And since a
Pul
or a
Key
arent worth as much as a fart in a jar so it's not like your items are being held hostage for you to pay to get them back. It's merely a "passers fee" ;)

To me it's all about the value of what we're trading;
If the person is an established account, I don't mind trusting people with small things, like pgems and stuff.

But if I was trading for a
Ber
or something, I'm not sure there's anyone (other than a real life friend) I would trust enough to act as a middleman, or to trade first (and let them pay me back afterward).

There has been cases of people stealing items in every game that exist, even while acting as middleman.
Sure if the person routinely trades for 100
Ber
of value in a week, he'll not ruin his name for that, but in the end, it's more like... I don't want to have to do a research on the guy to make sure he's trustworthy.

And why would I bother?
if he's the only person in the world who needs my item, then it's probably not a very valuable item in the first place.
And if there are more people who need my item, then I'd rather just sell it to someone else, without a middleman.

Same reason why I'm not trading on other websites (that require people's trust), even if they've been running for years and they're legit... I don't want the hassle, the always wondering if I'm about to get scammed.
mishabg wrote: 2 years ago
To me it's all about the value of what we're trading;
If the person is an established account, I don't mind trusting people with small things, like pgems and stuff.

But if I was trading for a
Ber
or something, I'm not sure there's anyone (other than a real life friend) I would trust enough to act as a middleman, or to trade first (and let them pay me back afterward).

There has been cases of people stealing items in every game that exist, even while acting as middleman.
Sure if the person routinely trades for 100
Ber
of value in a week, he'll not ruin his name for that, but in the end, it's more like... I don't want to have to do a research on the guy to make sure he's trustworthy.

And why would I bother?
if he's the only person in the world who needs my item, then it's probably not a very valuable item in the first place.
And if there are more people who need my item, then I'd rather just sell it to someone else, without a middleman.

Same reason why I'm not trading on other websites (that require people's trust), even if they've been running for years and they're legit... I don't want the hassle, the always wondering if I'm about to get scammed.
I agree 100%, I wouldn't give me half the shit I've been handed since this discussion began. Like I said I learned my lesson in the original. Unless you have physical access to whom your handing high value stuff to so that if something does happen to it you can kick their ass, then don't. I sure as hell wouldn't. Lol

I was new to diablo and had bought it on PlayStation as my brother wanted me to play with him.
Now I got it for PC as well because there are not that much good offers for only console. First thing I did - wrote in the Discord community for console players that they can count on me as a middle man. I feel their pain )
EyesBack wrote: 2 years ago
I was new to diablo and had bought it on PlayStation as my brother wanted me to play with him.
Now I got it for PC as well because there are not that much good offers for only console. First thing I did - wrote in the Discord community for console players that they can count on me as a middle man. I feel their pain )
Same thing happened to me except opposite consoles. I started with my brother on PC but he quit cause servers were crap. It's pretty bad when a game that ran on dial up worked better than now. But had a couple friends on Xbox talk me into buying it again before Christmas cause it was $20. And I've bought way worse things for $20 lol

Teebling 5990Admin

Europe PC
My only advice to OP is to start up a listing in player services called 'Multi Platform Escrow' or something like that, and give it a go. The more 'reviews' you get from people you served, the more trustworthy you will be considered.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...