diablo2.io is supported by ads
22 replies   18165 views

Description

Trying to find out what is the best merc setup for a
Frenzy
barb.

Might Merc with Pride?
Bowa with Faith? (probably not because I don't need THAT much IAS)
Baba Merc with LW and Hustle - that way I could do two berserker Axes Grief or even LW :P (with IAS jewel in Guillaume)

something entirely different?

Can be used to make Runewords:

xigua 63

Trying to find out what is the best merc setup for a
Frenzy
barb.

Might Merc with Pride?
Bowa with Faith? (probably not because I don't need THAT much IAS)
Baba Merc with LW and Hustle - that way I could do two berserker Axes Grief or even LW :P (with IAS jewel in Guillaume)

something entirely different?
my contrarian barb merc:

act 5
Frenzy
merc with full sazabi and Hustle in an ethereal
Mythical Sword

i don't use Enigma for my barbs and nothing else keeps up

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I like act 5
Frenzy
merc with dual Last Wish and Hustle armor.

A cheaper option is act 2 merc with Might/Pride and Hustle armor.

I really recommend Hustle armor because at the speed you'll be running any merc will have a hard time catching up with you (unless you use Enigma, which I find "meh" on a
Frenzy
barb).

I tried Act 1 merc with Faith but she lagged behind all the time and the
Fanaticism
aura range just wasn't good enough.

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
krathkor wrote: 3 months ago
nothing else keeps up
A very real problem if you're not bringing
Teleport
Though on higher player counts,
Frenzy
barbs tend to still go slow enough for a(n A2) merc to catch up. Even more so on phys immunes.

Personally, I rather like A2 might + reaper's on mine for exactly those situations. 98% of the time (ish), he tends to stay in aura range (thanks to teleporting back over quickly enough) but he generally doesn't attack much, if at all. On lower player counts at least. You also don't need him to because at that point, your damage per swing isn't holding you back, the fact that you're single-target is. Pride or procs don't help that, sadly. And added merc dmg alone won't really make up for that as that's also just added single target (so...1.25 target I guess, if he picks a different one for his [significantly lower] dmg).

For those times where you do get stuck though (primarily higher count phys immunes), the decrep proc makes a world of a difference. Plus you do notice the difference on bosses and the like in particular, seeing how they bring enough life to actually take more than 1-2 swings.

Fun fact:
Gearing A2 merc for run speed actually made things significantly worse for me because he still runs way too slow to ever keep up with
Frenzy
run speed but he runs fast enough to not fall behind as much and hence
Teleport
back over to you far less frequently, resulting in still little to no attacks but also little to no aura uptime on top...bad juju.
OP

xigua 63

Does dual LW stack on merc and you end up with a lvl 34 might?

Would mean I play dual Grief and he plays dual LW?

Pride and Might Merc should be higher percentage damage or rather not?

uuee 18

Europe PC
griefPB+lawbringerPB on the barb with might+Pride merc is my favourite setup for a walking\running frenzybarb

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
xigua wrote: 3 months ago
Does dual LW stack on merc and you end up with a lvl 34 might?
Pride and Might Merc should be highter percentage damage or rather not?
A let's say lvl 90 merc runs lvl 18 might I believe it was which adds 210%.
Pride with a 16-20 conc adds another 285 to 345% for 495 to 555% total.

LW does stack to lvl 34 which adds 370% so significantly less than even a min roll Pride.
Though the merc himself would do way more dmg than a Pride one since Pride is a horrid weapon to be attacking with, sadly.

(Either way, LW kinda sucks ^^)
OP

xigua 63

yea - i know, i know - and maybe pushing it a little in terms of price. That's what I was thinking with Pride - weird runeword. Found a
Eth
Thresher
I almost used for Pride - seems like a waste. If I run LW and he runs 2 LW his 34 will count, right?

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Aye, higher aura wins. Why on earth would you do that though?! That'd just make your LW even worse than LW already is to begin with. :D
OP

xigua 63

highly theoretical - I don't have THAT many
Jah
to waste - nonetheless right now my main concern is running like an uncontrolled dumbo into a pile of mobs, getting stuck, and dieing - still trying to figure out how to prevent that

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
You..shouldn't be dying anyways, given decent gear (which is far cheaper than 3x LW).

Given, if you get surrounded by phys immunes, it may take you a while to get back out (or you just
Leap
..or have a pt in ww..or whatever) but even then,
Frenzy
dmg + sunder throughput while low is still enough to leech sufficient life. Plus that'd be exactly the kind of situation I'd like an A2 reaper's merc for as that'll clear up said surrounding pack in no time.
OP

xigua 63

I got a terrible LW roll by the way :D but it is fun playing with it - as soon as
Fade
procs or
Life Tap
it's like day and night

TheDoo 214

Europe PC
On lower players count you may consider something like Faith Act 1 Fire or even cold Act 3, both help with cc tremendously (yes Act 3, who would imagine eh?), since fire dmg for
Exploding Arrow
stack differently and AoE freeze in combination with already significantly faster character can do miracles for you (it's also different dmg type than phy).

If you don't run a physical sunder yourself then Act 2 with Reaper's is a must (now what differs here from other suggestions is I would say definitely tryout
Blessed Aim
Act 2 Merc on levels <87). The problem with
Decrepify
proc is it's not constant, some people find it very annoying to re-cast when needed (in tough situations), I personally never had problems with it, but then again I'm playing the game way slower. :)

Frenzy
Barb doesn't need Enigma (IMHO) at all, he runs pretty fast on his own while slaying everything in his path for the pure joy.

The only thing is finickiness on the
Frenzy
mechanics, sometimes it seems like game doesn't want to load properly all the clicks and you need to spam att button a lot (which I don't like to do -- I'm old school "hold down the LMB for continuous fight and use <SHIFT> when surrounded" type). Dunno if it's the servers or game just skips a frame here and there but I found quite annoying the mechanics of
Frenzy
most of the time (it's like targeting doesn't work properly when you are sped up). This doesn't produce all negative effect however, as much as I noticed -- this also makes you kinda invulnerable to dolls in particular since you are basically moving a lot and quite quick and game can't "load" all the proper hit frames and true positions; you can often find yourself killing a
Bone Fetish
without taking any dmg in the process which is very weird experience (it feels like you move away from the radius of their body explosion while they are exploding which doesn't catch you)!

Ofc all of that is alternative if you don't want to spend absolute fortune to make more than 1 LW. :)

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
Sidenote: Might act2 + Pride would be amazing from %ED perspective but is not usable for a
Find Item
barbarian as Pride has
Cham
in it and foks your horks twice over.

I'm running double LW for the reason above, and that lvl 34 aura on demand, rather than theoretical lvl 19-21 might aura from A2 with a theoretical
Decrepify
on top, though that one is still a valid option.

Running strictly in
Travincal
where A2 would just get into action trying to turn on his aura while I am deep in killing zone already. So, as you can see, my case is VERY specific and quite niche. LW is not great and absolutely not worth the price. It's best use is to make a non-smiter paladin into a 100 %CB smiter with no skill investment.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
TheDoo wrote: 3 months ago
The only thing is finickiness on the
Frenzy
mechanics, sometimes it seems like game doesn't want to load properly all the clicks and you need to spam att button a lot (which I don't like to do -- I'm old school "hold down the LMB for continuous fight and use <SHIFT> when surrounded" type).
Might I wager a guess and say that you're indeed trying to hold down your LMB specifically?

I've been raging at that issue (and subsequently refusing to run
Frenzy
barbs at all) for quite a while until I figured out that D2:R apparently simply broke
Frenzy
controls on LMB. You constantly drop target. You get stuck standing still all the time with nothing happening. So on and so forth.
Weirdly enough though, there's a very simple fix to all of that because they only broke it specifically for LMB, not for
Frenzy
/holding in general. So if you simply use RMB instead, you can go right back to "hold button for entire run, nothing to worry about" as the auto-targeting works just fine then. It'll have you running as it should, up until you get close to a mob and your cursor is at least roughly in the direction of that mob in which case it'll automatically pick it up as a target and tear through it. No shift needed. As it should be.
RMB = win.
LMB = broken AF.

Accidentally noticed that when I moved
Frenzy
to RMB on some weird multi-skill experimental build which I otherwise probably never would have done. Ever since then..barb is back to
Frenzy
because it finally works again. Easiest fix ever, once you actually know about it.
Schnorki wrote: 3 months ago
RMB = win.
LMB = broken AF.

Frenzy
to RMB on some weird multi-skill experimental build which I otherwise probably never would have done. Ever since then..barb is back to
Frenzy
because it finally works again. Easiest fix ever, once you actually know about it.
Hell yeah, my
Frenzy
barb has
Berserk
on LMB for the phys immunes. One point wonder and RMB
Frenzy
FTW. I think I switched to RMB when it kept swapping to normal attack from
Frenzy
upon entering a game. Think it was because my hard points in stats weren't enough to hold both weapons and that made
Frenzy
unusuable for that particular split-second upon loading -> Game decided my LMB is now a normal attack. LMB for attacks and movement just doesn't work the way RMB does.

The same happens on 3-trang necro with
Fireball
on LMB (don't want to bash with
Death's Web
), it keeps "unloading" every time and switches to normal attack. Or maybe it does it upon swap to CtA where you get somehow different
Fireball
from 2-piece set for a moment. Not sure now.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP

xigua 63

I can confirm: Hustle / Lawbringer is awesome - only issue is that the little guys is squishy~ not sure if a Fortitude will help (?)
When I do Chaos sanctum he can keep up fine.

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Fortitude = win.
That is all. :P
Reapers Toll merc for physical immunes unless your happy using Beserk, in which case I enjoy using a3
Enchant
Merc personally. Nothing else keeps up anyways and your damage is fine without the aura.

If I am not responding add me on Bnet and drop me a message!

TheDoo 214

Europe PC
Schnorki wrote: 3 months ago

RMB = win.
LMB = broken AF.

Frenzy
Frenzy
Hehe didn't think of that... Silly, silly me! Thanks Schnorki! On the other hand I'm glad I'm not completely and utterly crazy xd
I kinda just accepted it being like that and continue missing and standing a lot, making it absolutely counter-productive like it's some part of it's shtick. Well now, this will change things significantly! :D

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation