Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
37 replies   22482 views

What class should i do a naked run with?

Poll ended at 5 months ago

Amazon (4%)
Barb (4%)
Druid (12%)
Paladin (4%)
Sorc (8%)
Necro (60%)
Assassin (8%)
Total votes: 25
Total votes: 25

Description

I was thinking i might try a go at a ‘naked’ run. Would probably be tough for a physical damage character, Zon sticks out as a character that’s almost completely unviable (i guess you could punch your way to
Blood Raven
, then super equip your merc until you get a
Valkyrie
), barb looks to be surprisingly well set-up for this, as would be pretty much everyone else: assassins have traps, necro has an army, sorc has spells, paladin has auras, Druid may be the best of all…

I was thinking charms could be allowed, but even that might be too overpowered

What do you think? Ever done one? Any recommendations?
Description by Nate2.0

Can be used to make Runewords:

I was thinking i might try a go at a ‘naked’ run. Would probably be tough for a physical damage character, Zon sticks out as a character that’s almost completely unviable (i guess you could punch your way to
Blood Raven
, then super equip your merc until you get a
Valkyrie
), barb looks to be surprisingly well set-up for this, as would be pretty much everyone else: assassins have traps, necro has an army, sorc has spells, paladin has auras, Druid may be the best of all…

I was thinking charms could be allowed, but even that might be too overpowered

What do you think? Ever done one? Any recommendations?
It would probably make more sense to do one on Broadway in NYC...

Deleted User 63530 0

i must try on hardcore. Can i use a potions ? And tele scrolls ? or backtracking.
OP
Yea i should probably change the title to “run of poverty”

Yes scrolls and potions fully allowed! Back tracking for sure, i think it’s also fair to adjust the players setting (should make the first few levels go faster)

I’m thinking charms are ok, but maybe only the ones you find during your run…

Bisu 369

PC
Summon Necro can pass hell naked.

Some may suggest a
Belt
for carrying more potions, but that's completely a QoL option, so may as well just go naked naked.

mhlg 843

Americas PC
Maybe instead of doing naked runs you could start by doing naked duels on the
Cold Plains
. That way you could test out the different classes until you find one that works, naked.

Is it just me or does the whole thing sound a little off??????? :D

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
I mean, is your goal to challenge yourself, or is your goal to have a somewhat clean run of it? I think necro is too obvious. Singer barb, traps or bladesin, I think zon would be an interesting challenge and maybe the most tanky due to all the defensive passives (but super tedious).

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Any +skill based 'caster' is typically effectively looking at a naked run each time you start in a new season. Sure, you might pick up some lowbie runewords along the way for convenience but realistically, all those do is up your (e.g. run-) speed a little bit and help with mana management. Nothing that can't be solved with a little more time and mana pots (or just massively more time) instead (i.e. fully nekkid).

Sorc, nec, pally, druid, sin..def easily doable.

Barb could probably sneak his way through albeit super annoying because the lack of a weapon means you're effectively looking at a singer which is just painful for mana and needs you cheesing around a few phys immunes. Not to mention the abysmal boss dmg. Unless a naked merc still counts as naked..then you COULD also do it as a bunny and safely watch your naked merc do what needs doing. Just expect to take forever doing it, thanks to the pathetic dmg output.
(This might actually be the one scenario where A3 mercs are superior to others.. :D)

A zon would probably be the single most annoying one. Oddly enough, because of normal difficulty specifically. No weapon means you won't have access to any attacks other than just base punching. Sure, that'll get you through early zones easy enough but after that you're gonna hit quite a wall and will have to juke in and out for aaaaages. Rinse and repeat that annoyance until you hit 30 or realistically even a fair few levels after that before you finally get your valk to a point where she can kill things. Once she gains enough levels, she can then solo NM and hell for ya.
Schnorki wrote: 5 months ago
A zon would probably be the single most annoying one. (...) No weapon means you won't have access to any attacks other than just base punching.
Since the rules are self-imposed anyway, one could relax them a bit and allow equipping an item (lowest tier one:
Dagger
Javelin
Short Bow
Katar
Buckler
) if it's just to enable using a skill. That additional one-digit damage/defense values won't matter almost at all on Hell. Only the block in case of a Paladin using
Smite
/
Holy Shield
would give a meaningful advantage.
OP
I’m gunna check out the team hardcore naked one! That looks cool, this type of thing sounds like it would be super fun with a team, their breakdown looks really logical. Dang, can’t watch the vids… :(

I’m currently playing around with one of my mule barbs, just punching stuff with
Bash
, i think I’m going to allow my Merc’s to wear gear, gotta get at least something.

And though the survey is clearly going necro, i think we all can agree he can do it no problem* (there will still likely be problems, but much less than any other class). But it might be the best class for the first “run of poverty”

I was thinking of allowing a single item, but then I’d probably go with Grief, hoto, Faith, ect, so might as well go full poverty
OP
Urgh, until the poll is completed Ive been trying my luck with a barb… currently level 7 and this is sllllllooooooooooooowwwww

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Don't worry, it'll...get even slower. :P

Kind of liking the idea though. Might have to give this a go. On hardcore..just for the hell of it. ^^
OP
Well until the survey is over the barb is over the hump, it;S definitely a slow slog, but not unfun. Killing
Blood Raven
, then getting to level 7 was the hardest, now things are getting easier, turns out if your not wearing anything there’s no point putting points into strength… and there’s way more incentive to add to energy.

I also equipped a
Belt
, but i let its durability run out and won’t repair it, so i get the extra potion slots. I still don’t get a bonus to def… and yea i drink a lot of potions.

Lvl 11 now, i can’t wait for level 18 and i can start pumping
Leap Attack
! (Well tbh i guess i can wait)

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Added a more definitive ruleset for the whole thing, just for good measure.
- Must be on hardcore (no deaths allowed)
- Must be solo for the entire completion, no outside help whatsoever
- No equipment to be worn whatsoever, starter gear must be sold before leaving camp
- No charms
- Self-found potions only (no vendoring)
- No town portals while in a fight (i.e. no cheesy fleeing to safety)
- Mercs may be used (since you get one off
Blood Raven
anyways) but may also not use any gear
- Must obtain all waypoints and finish all quests in order
- No "danger-skipping" allowed. I.e. if you are engaged by some extra strong extra fast aura pack, it must die before you proceed, no simply running past to avoid the fight. Skipping of a lone trailing quill rat for the sake of time though is fine.
- Shrines may be used but may not be target-farmed or "saved for upcoming boss fight". So only what you happen to find along the way.
- Class is decided by a random dice roll
- Should the run be unsuccessful, the same class may not be used for the next attempt

Exceptions are allowed where logical or requirement in terms of game flow (e.g. jade figurine not completed before other quests if it just doesn't drop, equipping quest items to smash orb/break soulstone/..., getting flayer and marsh wp in reverse order if that's how your map ended up working out, ...).

I think that's all of it? Might be forgetting one or two rules right now.

Either way, the die roll ended up giving me a druid which may well be making this whole thing way too easy. But we shall see. No TP mid-fight effectively makes ancients a hard make-or-break point so overconfidence + bad spawn may still become a game-ender regardless. :D
OP
You’r taking it way more serious an I! I’m also not nearly skilled enough to handle all those restrictions!

I’m totally using charms (just ones i found),
I’m totally putting gear on my merc,
and im totally spamming vendor pots.

Oh and I’m also not on hardcore - but that because of the character limit on console offline, im already maxed out so these have to be one of my mule characters. The barb im playing with now is my rune mule, so half his pack is already full of runes. If he dies I’ll still use the Honor system and call it a failed run.

Best of luck to you! I’m excited to read of your exploits!

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Not gonna lie, this ended up way more.."annoying" than anticipated. Largely because it reminds me of why I don't normally play hardcore.
Almost died in A2 because I bugged out and couldn't move or do anything anymore (ended up getting saved by a perfectly timed lvl-up thanks to merc killing the last mobs around).
Got nearly 1-shot over and over in A5 by flat out invisible (and hence unavoidable) stuff while fighting other mobs...

That last one in particular forced a rule change. Self-found pots allowed across the board as it'd be literally impossible to live through that invisi-bug stuff otherwise.

Aaaaanyways...
That's normal done at least.

Let's see if I can motivate myself to do that two more times...def not today. ^^
OP
Well done! Yea I’ve totally went into a mob or 2 with half health, hoping id level up halfway through the fight

Necrarch 1612Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
GG Schnorki. Considering the amount of days I take to level up through normal... :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Necrarch wrote: 5 months ago
GG Schnorki. Considering the amount of days I take to level up through normal... :)
Helps to not have kids that need your attention. :P

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...