Zakarum's Hand
. This weapon's max base damage is 72. My strength is 160. With lvl21
Zeal
And lvl21
Holy Fire
(boosted by lvl21
Resist Fire
), I was dealing about 1800 damage max.

As I have proceeded to Hell difficulty, I got my ass kicked even by ordinary zombies if they attack in groups. So I've decided to change the build. As
Holy Fire
's massive aura doesn't do anything to even weakest enemies at Hell difficulty, I thought I could use those stats for a better defense. As a former Barb, I still love melee gameplay so
Zeal
is pretty cool for me. I completed the first quest and reset my skills. Maxed
Zeal
Fanaticism
and
Holy Shield
. I'm very satisfied by
Holy Shield
's defense boost but now my damage dealt by
Zeal
+
Fanaticism
is no more than 608. I'm really confused because right now my basic attack has max 230dmg. If I know right, the +%210 from
Zeal
and +%390 from
Fanaticism
should take my max damage to somewhere between 1.800 and 2.000. Did I terribly misunderstood something or is it bugged? I'm very disappointed and my day is ruined.

Good news is I had taken a copy of my save game before the skill reset. So I can start over again but I was actually excited about this build and it seems like a fiasco. Any ideas please?

p.s. I've tried a few things in advance. I've travelled around and killed some enemies. Changed auras and attack types. Exited and re-entered game. Every time it was stuck at 608. My mind is full of f***.
Description by karaage

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello dear paladins, confused zealot here. I had a lvl67
Holy Fire
Zealot and my main weapon was
Zakarum's Hand
. This weapon's max base damage is 72. My strength is 160. With lvl21
Zeal
And lvl21
Holy Fire
(boosted by lvl21
Resist Fire
), I was dealing about 1800 damage max.

As I have proceeded to Hell difficulty, I got my ass kicked even by ordinary zombies if they attack in groups. So I've decided to change the build. As
Holy Fire
's massive aura doesn't do anything to even weakest enemies at Hell difficulty, I thought I could use those stats for a better defense. As a former Barb, I still love melee gameplay so
Zeal
is pretty cool for me. I completed the first quest and reset my skills. Maxed
Zeal
Fanaticism
and
Holy Shield
. I'm very satisfied by
Holy Shield
's defense boost but now my damage dealt by
Zeal
+
Fanaticism
is no more than 608. I'm really confused because right now my basic attack has max 230dmg. If I know right, the +%210 from
Zeal
and +%390 from
Fanaticism
should take my max damage to somewhere between 1.800 and 2.000. Did I terribly misunderstood something or is it bugged? I'm very disappointed and my day is ruined.

Good news is I had taken a copy of my save game before the skill reset. So I can start over again but I was actually excited about this build and it seems like a fiasco. Any ideas please?

p.s. I've tried a few things in advance. I've travelled around and killed some enemies. Changed auras and attack types. Exited and re-entered game. Every time it was stuck at 608. My mind is full of f***.
Pally Normal Attack
Pally Normal Attack
Pally Zeal Only
Pally Zeal Only
Pally Zeal + Fanaticism
Pally Zeal + Fanaticism
Well, for starters, unfortunately the LCS (lying character sheet) does an awful job calculating damage successfully. So that's certainly part of the issue here.

However, it's going to be true anyway that with this weapon, you are going to do poor damage as a zealot on hell difficulty.

At a casual glance, 72 max damage multiplied by your sources of enhanced damage off-weapon (160% strength, 210% from
Zeal
, 390% from fatantacism) should be giving you somewhere around 620 max damage. A bit more than you're showing here, but I'm also not paying super close attention to the formula. This is close enough for our purposes.

Facing against this, a
Wendigo
in hell has 6597-12740 health! Even at the minimum value there, you'd need 11 or so hits to kill one, before its physical resistance is even factored. Realistically, you'd be looking more at 22 or more, especially if you don't have any crushing blow, deadly strike, etc. That's pretty tragic.

Meanwhile, if you got your weapon's base damage up, you would benefit much more from all your +ed. For example, using a
Heaven's Light
Mighty Scepter
--which still isn't a great weapon--would get your damage above 1,500 not even counting the +skills, benefit of crushing blow, or etc.

TL:DR, you need a different weapon to have all that enhanced damage mean anything on hell difficulty.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
I don't have anything to add to your question, but I do have a
Heaven's Light
you can have for free if you want to do some testing. Message me if you would like it.

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4
On the build side of things, have you maxed
Sacrifice
, the synergy for
Zeal
?
Sacrifice
gives you twice as much Enhanced Damage per point than
Zeal
itself does. I normally leave
Zeal
at 1 point I've maxed both
Sacrifice
and Fanaticsm.

To echo what the others have said - get a faster/hurtier weapon. Use the IAS calculator to see how fast you're attacking. Ideally, you want to get to 4/8 Frames for your
Zeal
attack as more hits per second = more dps.

Honor in a
Phase Blade
would work really well, and the highest rune it needs is
Sol
. If you were online, one of us would be able to donate a better weapon that will help you on your journey.

At the end of the day though, pure melee builds are very gear dependent. Let me know if you're interested in a hybrid Zealot build that mitigates the gear dependency and lack of AoE without sacrificing melee ability.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

OP
Hey guys thanks you all for your kind responses. I was AFK for two days, I can only answer now.

I'm still unable to find the calculation formula but also I'm pretty sure that given these attributes, I should deal much more dmg. With 160 strength and 72 base dmg from the weapon, I deal max 230dmg with my normal attack. So lvl21
Zeal
should at least triple the outcome but it's only 315, which is aboslute nonsense. I will just give up some exp and start over from the reset point. I'll also update this thread if I find some useful info.

@Lanceor: I'll try maxing
Sacrifice
as well, thanks for the advise.

@davme_mcreg: You sir are very generous, thanks a lot. I've sent a PM.

edit: Tried 160 strength with max
Sacrifice
Zeal
and
Fanaticism
(60 skill points ffs!) and the result is absolutely disappointing:
Disappointment
Disappointment
So, let's break down the formula a bit more. Just a bit, though, since it can be a bit more complicated when you add off weapon +min/max, situational +%ed, etc.

For the current purpose, I'll give this formula:

(Weapon base damage x weapon enhanced damage%) x off-weapon enhanced damage%. This has to be calculated separately for min and max damage. This formula is missing off weapon +min/max damage, +flat damage (like from Grief) and such because I don't have those values for you and I want to simplify the equation.

Applying that to your situation here, weapon base damage is 13-24 on a
Rune Scepter
. Your weapon enhanced damage% is 202%. Your off-weapon enhanced damage% is Strength +
Zeal
+
Zeal
synergy +
Fanaticism
+ theoretically items like jewels, Fortitude, etc.

So, running the formula for your char with basic attack without
Zeal
or
Fanaticism
equipped, we see--

MIN: (13 x 202%) x 160% = 39.26 x 160% = 102
MAX: (24 x 202%) x 160% = 72.48 x 160% = 189.

This implies that either you have some +damage somewhere on your charms/gear that I can't see, or ALREADY the character sheet is lying to you.

Running this formula once again with level 21
Zeal
, level 1
Sacrifice
, and level 21
Fanaticism
values (based on what you told us earlier):

MIN: (13 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 114%
Zeal
) = 39.26 x 664% = 300
MAX: (24 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 114%
Zeal
) = 72.48 x 664% = 553.7

Now, again, there's an implication here that there's some +damage on your charms/gear that I can't see.

Finally, running this formula for the synergized
Zeal
, 21
Zeal
, 20
Sacrifice
, and 21
Fanaticism
values:

MIN: (13 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 342%
Zeal
) = 39.26 x 892% = 389
MAX: (24 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 342%
Zeal
) = 72.48 x 892% = 719.
Again, missing a bit of extra damage from a charm or two.

Now, let's pretend for a moment that you were to up your weapon to a
Mighty Scepter
instead of a
Rune Scepter
. This is a relatively minor change, and largely insufficient, but just to show the difference:
MIN: (40 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 342%
Zeal
) = 120.8 x 892% = 1198
MAX: (52 x 202%) x (160% STR + 390%
Fanaticism
+ 342%
Zeal
) = 157 x 892% = 1558

I mean, wow! That's not even that great of a weapon! Go with Oath in an
Eth
base or something like that and you're really starting to do damage! Even a poorly rolled Oath in an Elite base would change the whole game for this character.

TL;DR
Point is, even with the synergies and stuff added, your weapon base damage is awful for hell difficulty, and the only way to change that is to get a better weapon.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
OP
I've also tried maxing my defense and gave all to
Holy Shield
and
Defiance
while also giving more points to Vitality. Basic idea here is to lower my need to use potions during combat and avoid sudden Death while dealing low but continous damage with
Zeal

My base defense from gear is 975 and
Defiance
took it to 3607.
Holy Shield
alone takes it to 7068. But combined I have 9701. So I'm absolutely convinced that giving even a single stat point to
Defiance
is simply wasting it. Yeah, max your
Holy Shield
and cast once before combat (it lasts for almost 9 minutes) and then switch to an offensive aura.

One problem I had while maxing my melee damage was the Immune to Physical enemies. When I was a Berseker Barb, I had no problem with those enemies since
Berserk
inflicts magical damage. Now I find it really hard to balance my Pally's skills because there is always a big catch and I think I've become very gear dependent.

p.s.
Conversion
could be effective if it also could convert superior enemies like champions or elites. Or, it could convert the lesser enemies but without a time limit. I'm not sure if a maxed
Conversion
can make a difference.

@Winterkill: Wow, man you have actually resolved everything there, thanks a bunch. Now I can vividly see that gear indeed makes a huge difference while usig those skills. So, first of all, I have to find a better weapon for sure. Then I will:

- Max
Holy Shield

- Max
Zeal

- Max whatever skill is best for dealing with physical immunity (I'm yet to run some test and find the best option)
- Allocate the rest to
Sacrifice
or
Fanaticism
Max
Fanaticism
and
Sacrifice
in that order, leaving
Zeal
last. On my maxed-out Pally, there is only a 4% damage difference between 10 points and 20 points in
Zeal
! Likewise, you can leave
Holy Shield
at 1 point until you have nowhere else to spend the points.

I actually wrote a guide back in 1.11b about ways for Zealots to deal with Physical Immunes. In short,
Azurewrath
and the Rift runeword are two of the best choices for adding non-Physical damage to
Zeal

Depending on your weapon (which is currently very bad), you might also find the 1 point you invested in
Vengeance
to be sufficient.

Since D2R, the Act 1 Merc seems to have become very capable of dealing with Physical immunes; I haven't tested her at around level 60-70 with budget gear though.

Holy Bolt
/FoH is also very strong nowadays and ignores the immunities of Undead / Demons, though it needs a 20 skill-point investment - this is the Hybrid that I mentioned earlier. Probably better off starting as an FoHer before investing heavily into
Zeal
and its synergies.

Lanceor's FoH Zealot Guide
Farm everything. Wreck Ubers.
■ Often online all day, but I'm on call so I may have to leave in a hurry.
■ Sydney timezone: UTC +10.

About physicall immunes I just let mercenary do the job. Act 2 merc with
The Reaper's Toll
or act 5
Frenzy
merc with Lawbringer in one hand work fine for me. Though sometimes you need to wait a bit for
Decrepify
to proc.

It has been said already that
Zeal
dmg is highly dependant on your weapon. I'll just add that I finished hell with
Lightsabre
- a nice budget option. But when I switched to Grief the improvment was enormous.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation