diablo2.io is supported by ads
22 replies   3683 views

Should they add functionality to
Standard of Heroes
?

You may select 1 option

Total votes: 45

Description

Hey all! So I've been wondering this ever since I killed my very first set of Ubers a couple years ago. Will they ever give
Standard of Heroes
a use? I know it's basically been a literal waste-of-space trophy for the last 20+ years, but I legitimately think it should do something unique, either as a one-time consumable or a charm. My suggestion has always been to be a charm that increases the possibility of items drops, similar to playing p3 on Offline Single-Player when solo.

If they were to add functionality to
Standard of Heroes
, what do y'all think they should do (if anything at all)?
Description by IceMarker

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey all! So I've been wondering this ever since I killed my very first set of Ubers a couple years ago. Will they ever give
Standard of Heroes
a use? I know it's basically been a literal waste-of-space trophy for the last 20+ years, but I legitimately think it should do something unique, either as a one-time consumable or a charm. My suggestion has always been to be a charm that increases the possibility of items drops, similar to playing p3 on Offline Single-Player when solo.

If they were to add functionality to
Standard of Heroes
, what do y'all think they should do (if anything at all)?

Burning Hells and burning out since 2004.
I've always thought they should do something with it like bonus experience.
OP
phantomotap wrote: 1 year ago
I've always thought they should do something with it like bonus experience.
Right, that would be cool, but would it be a charm like
Annihilus
? Or a permanent one-time use buff quest item like
Book of Skill
or
Potion of Life
?

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
My personal advice: make it part of a cube recipe.

Something like
Unique/Set item+ SoH + any pgem = Unique becomes the color of the pgem (
Skull
=Black,
Ruby
=red...)
White Shakos, blue
Tal
set...

The real reward of the Ubers is the torch (though I still believe the XP gain of killing DClone / mini Ubers / Ubers could be higher)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
Something like
I really like this idea.
IceMarker wrote: 1 year ago
Right, that would be cool, but would it be a charm like
Annihilus
?
I was thinking charm like
Annihilus
, but not as good.
Introduce a
Horadric Cube
recipe that uses
Standard of Heroes
to give any item the maximum number of sockets.

Yes, the same as
Larzuk
, so we don't have to do socket runs. Plus a
Pul
to
Ist
added value on torch runs for good measure.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)

Nate 535

Switch
Or maybe having a
Standard of Heroes
in your stash/pack ups how much gold you can carry? Like by 50%?

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Queegon wrote: 1 year ago
Introduce a
Horadric Cube
recipe that uses
Standard of Heroes

Yes, the same as
Larzuk
Pul
to
Ist
Ah, nice one indeed, running
Larzuk
quests is indeed a pain.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
OP
I guess it could be mentioned that the natural Required Level: 90 that
Standard of Heroes
has should probably affect what the ability would be, they would theoretically add. Albeit, the suggestion @Necrarch made about changing the color of an item via a cube recipe is pretty neat.

Teebling 5827Admin

Europe PC
Make it a transmog item kinda like Necrarch suggested so that we can reskin armor and weapons.

Then we can contact crackhead bon jovi and get him a change for his biker jacket :P

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
A proper, controlled transmog is probably beyond out of the question, simply because it wouldn't work with any existing principles but would require a whole new interface addition and then some. Mainly because you can't fit 2 armors and a standard in the cube at the same time.
(Or the cube would have to be expanded at minimum but that I doubt even more)

That having been said, thinking about it did just give me another idea that'd actually make it functionally valuable as well.
Cube for a socket to replace
Larzuk
grinds - great.
Cube together with a gem to dye armor pieces - also great.

A more novel idea though...cube a piece of gear plus a standard to receive the same piece of gear but on a randomly selected different base of the same type.
For example, say I hate the green rubber look of my
Shako
, I could cube it and turn it into a
Diadem
. Or a
Corona
. Or whatever..
I'd go so far as to say make it work on any item (not just uniques) and let the result be random across grades as well. So if I for example like
Veil of Steel
but the strength requirements are just too high to make it worthwhile on my build, I could cube it until I get something different with lower str requirements (but then also lower def due to it being a different item type).

Allowing such "full" randomization would do a few things:
- It'd give standards an actual, desired use case that would address both, visual and functional aspects that a lot of folks would love to be able to change.
- It'd do so with a use case that actually makes them genuinely desired as you wouldn't just want 1 or 2 to get the desired outcome but you would realistically need a rather significant amount of them before you finally get the result you're after. Even more so if you're not just shooting for the correct base item but a perfect def roll or the like on top of that. And even more so yet again if you allowed it to also roll ethereal (which in turn would also allow you to de-
Eth
useless
Eth
pieces to make them not a complete waste).
- It'd add a functional bonus that would be noticeable but generally not overpowered.
- It would add value to a ton of other items and in doing so "undo mistakes" of a lot of people. Namely if you could cube-adjust runewords, it doesn't matter if you used the wrong base..you can fix it! If you find a baller base but it is some normal piece of crap rather than the elite you need..you can keep cubing until it is. If you find a gg magic piece that fails solely due to the base item it rolled on..you can fix that!

The general item type would stay the same though. I.e. headpiece remains headpiece,
Boots
remain
Boots
, bows remain bows, polearms remain polearms and so on. So..you know..no legit occi rings. ;)

Some limitations obviously apply. Such as "if it has 5 sockets, it can only turn into something that can also have 5 sockets".

Nate 535

Switch
That’s an interesting one schnorki, and fairly flushed out. It initially seemed a bit leaning more toward the d3 style of game, but then I remembered how many standard of heros I would have lying around, even if I kept all from this last year of playing I’d still only have like 15 (yet still no assassin torch).

Got another idea: charges on items!

Standard of heros and
Perfect Skull
+ item with charges = same item with an increase to the amount of charges by like…
Um
… 5? Yea that sounds fine (to a max)

Standard of heros and a manald (or another unique jewlery that’s not super rare) and item with charges - same item with an increase to the charged skill level by 1 (again to a max, actually manald sounds fine)

You’d run into problems with items that have more than 1
Charge
, so I’d say make which one gets the upgrade random - seems easiest.

Just straight up standard of heros with a charged item - recharge it, even if it’s ethereal.

I love the concept of charged items, but the execution is pretty bad right now - other than
Metalgrid
, they fixed that one (sorta)
Someone in a earlier topic suggested removing soj sales and changing them to these for spawning dclone that would get my vote 100%

Come to Hardcore, Embrace the Dread ;)
Please Review my about me post for Ground rules before you make posts in my topics, if these are violated (even in ignorance) the consequence is the same.
OP
Xanhast70 wrote: 1 year ago
Someone in a earlier topic suggested removing soj sales and changing them to these for spawning dclone that would get my vote 100%
That is probably my favorite idea so far.

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Seems a bit odd to trigger the easy event (DClone) using the result for the tough one (Ubers), no ?

There are so many Annis around that perhaps they could allow Annis themselves to trigger DClone, as well as SoJ. That would for a time sink up a bit those.

Annihilus
OP
Seems a bit odd to trigger the easy event (DClone) using the result for the tough one (Ubers), no ?

There are so many Annis around that perhaps they could allow Annis themselves to trigger DClone, as well as SoJ. That would for a time sink up a bit those.
My thought process is that having the people geared to defeat a tougher event like the Ubers, get to "give back" to the community at large by turning in their
Standard of Heroes
to vendors, which could be neat, but I suppose they would have to adjust the number "sold" a bit.

My personal advice: make it part of a cube recipe.

Something like
Unique/Set item+ SoH + any pgem = Unique becomes the color of the pgem (
Skull
=Black,
Ruby
=red...)
White Shakos, blue
Tal
set...

The real reward of the Ubers is the torch (though I still believe the XP gain of killing DClone / mini Ubers / Ubers could be higher)
hmm

I wanted to say it could have chance like "+20% more champions and bosses" or 100MF (which would help a lot with characters who doesnt have any MF and slow clear speed). Afterall this is end game item.

but your idea of customization never crossed my mind. Thats a great idea ;) item +
Standard of Heroes
+ pgem = new color :)

or it could reroll stats on unique items

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
The reward for the Ubers is the Torch. Make SoH really powerful is, I believe, NOT a good idea, as it's more of a trophy item, not something that should grant something huge.

OR if it makes a boost, make it a consumable. Like 100% + MF for 24h. That could be fun !

Annihilus
Queegon wrote: 1 year ago
Introduce a
Horadric Cube
recipe that uses
Standard of Heroes

Yes, the same as
Larzuk
Pul
to
Ist
Ah, nice one indeed, running
Larzuk
quests is indeed a pain.
imho thats less pain than to run keys and do ubers :D if this was implicated in game, then they will be imho around
Ist
and everyone would be using them so it wouldnt be like ohh I dont pick them even up, there will be shortage.

It will be nice boost to those who do keyruns but for everyone else I would rather ask friend and run
Larzuk

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel
Another Idea Maybe they could be used to Change your character name.......

"I wanted to say it could have chance like "+20% more champions and bosses" or 100MF (which would help a lot with characters who doesnt have any MF and slow clear speed). Afterall this is end game item. "

This is also a neat idea Liked this.

Come to Hardcore, Embrace the Dread ;)
Please Review my about me post for Ground rules before you make posts in my topics, if these are violated (even in ignorance) the consequence is the same.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...