Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
7 replies   3536 views

Description

How does crushing blow work in a game with more than one player?

Some sources state that it works the same way as in a single player game, namely it reduces the same percentage of the current life. Other sources claim that the effect is reduced in a multilayer game. Which is correct?

Can be used to make Runewords:

How does crushing blow work in a game with more than one player?

Some sources state that it works the same way as in a single player game, namely it reduces the same percentage of the current life. Other sources claim that the effect is reduced in a multilayer game. Which is correct?
If the non-boss monster has 350% more (x4.5) hp in an 8 player game, you deal 25%/4.5 of current hp as damage to the monster.
So in absolute numbers it does the same damage, in relative numbers it does less.

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
On the other hand, add me after you bid ;)
OP
Verband wrote: 1 year ago
If the non-boss monster has 350% more (x4.5) hp in an 8 player game, you deal 25%/4.5 of current hp as damage to the monster.
So in absolute numbers it does the same damage, in relative numbers it does less.
Confirmed from two sources. Thanks.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Aye, both are correct.

It hits for a set percentage of current life, regardless of player count. That effect is however relatively reduced at higher counts because it is based on current life (as a fraction) scaled to base life, rather than scaled life (technically, it takes scaled life and unscales the dmg post-hoc..but same thing rly). I.e. on P8, it does the same absolute dmg as it does on P1.

Do note that it isn't always 25% though. The actual percentage depends on how it is triggered (melee vs. ranged) and what the target is. See also https://d2.lc/AB/wiki/index889d.html
OP
Is the following understanding of the calculation, not just the result, correct?

Let's discuss crushing blow on a regular monster in Hell difficulty that has 1000 HP in a single-player game.

In a single-player game, a crushing blow removes 1000 * 0.25 = 250 HP.

In a 8-player game, the monster has 1000 * (1 + (8 - 1) * 0.5) = 1000 * 4.5 = 4500 HP. A crushing blow removes 4500 * 0.25 / 4.5 = 250 HP. Here 4.5 is (1 + (8 - 1) * 0.5), namely the HP scaling ratio.

The physical resistance plays no role in the calculation.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Technically, I believe it is 0.5 + (0.5 * players) so at p8 that's 0.5 + 4 = still 4.5.

Also keep in mind that CB is based on current life so while the first is 1000 * 0.25 = 250, the 2nd (after that dropping the mob to 750) = 750 * 0.25 = 187 and so on.

Phys resist does play a role as it can reduce the damage from crushing blow. Similarly, phys immunes will take no damage from it. Deviating from the norm however, negative resistance will not increase it. So full damage at 0 or any negative resist. Damage reduced accordingly at any positive resist. Similarly, the real damage gets reduced further depending on attack type (ranged only hits for 12.5%) or target type (e.g. 1/8 melee and 1/16 ranged on SUs and bosses).
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
phys immunes will take no damage from it.
This I understand, but do you have a source for
Phys resist does play a role as it can reduce the damage from crushing blow.
and
negative resistance will not increase it.
?

ShadowHeart 1782Moderator

Europe PC
bubix wrote: 1 year ago
phys immunes will take no damage from it.
This I understand, but do you have a source for
Phys resist does play a role as it can reduce the damage from crushing blow.
and
negative resistance will not increase it.
?
Here are two sources:
Amazon Basin: https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/ind ... shing_Blow
Arreat Summit
: http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/magic.shtml (scroll down to the Crushing Blow section)

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation