Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
27 replies   2859 views

Description

After months of desperate farming for a
Griffon's Eye
(out of luck btw), I realized I'd collected enough gear to build a smiter. So when I dropped a pair of perfect
Dracul's Grasp
I decided to start.

I like to take it easy and slowly learn how to play a new class.

It's my very first melee character and I need some advice.

- Is Enigma an absolute must-have to run Ubers? I have a good Chains of Honor on my java which I can use.

- I have the runes to make a Grief, is it necessary to make it in a
Phase Blade
or I can use a
Berserker Axe
in case I want to go for a barb one day?

- I also have the runes to make an Exile, is it necessary for Ubers or you can do it with a
Herald Of Zakarum
Stormshield
or a good pala Spirit?

- Skills on the switch: what is the best
Key
setting? I assume you need an aura always active so the switch would be
Smite
/Attack on your left button, correct? (After years of
Ice Blast
on the left button it's hard for me to get used to a new setting)

- What is some decent nightmare gear?

Thanks in advance for your time

Can be used to make Runewords:

After months of desperate farming for a
Griffon's Eye
(out of luck btw), I realized I'd collected enough gear to build a smiter. So when I dropped a pair of perfect
Dracul's Grasp
I decided to start.

I like to take it easy and slowly learn how to play a new class.

It's my very first melee character and I need some advice.

- Is Enigma an absolute must-have to run Ubers? I have a good Chains of Honor on my java which I can use.

Phase Blade
or I can use a
Berserker Axe

- I also have the runes to make an Exile, is it necessary for Ubers or you can do it with a
Herald Of Zakarum
Stormshield
or a good pala Spirit?

Key
Smite
Ice Blast

Thanks in advance for your time

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
BaldurGK wrote: 1 year ago
No, it is not. In terms of battle performance, Enigma is in fact far from the ideal choice as Fortitude or on a budget even Duress outperform it significantly on ubers. It does however obviously add free
Teleport
which tends to shorten the time you need for both,
Lilith
and
Izual
as their zones are a tad bigger. Personally, I much prefer Fortitude on a pure melee pally. Plus you do have
Charge
which makes for rather fast travel, offsetting the lack of
Teleport
quite a bit. CoH is a great option as well, especially if you still need the extra res.

Phase Blade
or I can use a
Berserker Axe
Theoretically, you could make it in a BA but honestly, I wouldn't. Neither for your pally nor for a future barb. PB IAS breakpoints are far (FAR!) superior to a BA (65 to
Cap
Smite
with PB, 180 with BA, not counting fana). Now, with fana, you can easily
Cap
Smite
with a BA as well but you do still get an annoying repair
Bill
and really not much more dmg. 0 more dmg with
Smite
in fact as weapon dmg doesn't matter (only the +dmg adds in) and relatively little more dmg on a future barb as Grief has no on-weapon ED to amplify the base weapon dmg difference.

Herald Of Zakarum
Stormshield
or a good pala Spirit?
Exile is far from necessary. You want
Life Tap
, that's about it. Drac's will do. That having been said, Exile (thanks to the higher proc rate) does make it far more relaxed and pretty much eliminates those "it just won't proc! ugh!" cases that still make you pot 1-2 times every other run. Additionally, Exile ends up giving you just ridiculous overall defense, making everything so much safer yet again. Personally, I'd never build a smiter without Exile but even so, it isn't necessary by any means.

Key
Smite
Ice Blast
Correct, right button = aura. So your active skills, you keep on the left. Since you can keybind those the same as you do on the right though, it won't really make a difference (assuming you use instant cast). The exception to that is things you can't bind on the left which will inherently temporarily drop your aura, such as
Teleport
if you do get an Enigma.

Whatever you find along the way. Too many viable options to list but I'd say take a look at what low/mid runewords you happen to have the mats for.
+1 to whatever Schnorki said.

In addition, I recommend to skill
Zeal
in addition to
Smite
(I actually only put one point into
Smite
and max out
Zeal
), since clearing the mobs especially on your way to
Lilith
and
Izual
sucks big time otherwise. There is a post here detailing a good skill setup that has worked wonders for me: post1181514.html#p1181514

For trades: PrincipalO#2775
For DClone/Ubers: ForrestGrump#2731

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
I'd suggest the opposite actually, especially with Grief.

1 pt in
Zeal
with a decent smiter/phys pally setup and Grief annihilates any normal mob you find along the way whereas on the ubers themselvs, for that last bit of health (after crushing drops down in efficiency), you definitely notice the difference between 1 in
Smite
and 20 in
Smite
OP
Thanks a lot guys!

I'll be back with more questions when I am ready for Ubers
For your shield, I wouldn't bother with Exile, you already have Dracs. An upped HoZ is good but a cheap and effective setup is a high resist elite pally shield with 4 pdiamonds. That's what I use in my HC smiter. The advantage with that is that you can stack enough resist to completely overcome Meph's
Conviction
without having to switch to a
Salvation
aura. If you can leave your
Fanaticism
up, Meph goes down that much quicker and it's one less thing you have to think about or could forget. Duress is fine for armor and I've taken down Ubers many time while forgetting to switch back out of my Treachery prebuff. Of all the expensive smiter gear you can use, I think Grief is the only one that is really worth saving for and you really do want that in a PB as others have said.
Basicly any paladin is smiter. As you could see from comments above, some suggest 1skill point into
Smite
, someone else suggest to max it.

This is going to be my S3 ladder Anni runner (CB & open wounds at 108% + prevent monster heal)
https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/er0106yy
- my plan is to get only annies from S3

on NL I have fully maxed zealot/smiter for ubers (
Smite
aint maxed yet). Exile is kinda overkill. And upped HoZ do more dmg than Exile.
Because I have made all the RW in same bases (PB, AP etc) Its really easy to put wrong gear on my pala. So when I didnt had much gear I was swapping it and I have killed ubers with my cta+Spirit, random
Plated Belt
, Treachery, without amulet or without rings. Just based on this experience the only thing which matter is lifetap on draculs.

My recommendation is to just go any pala build and then respect at lvl 80+ to final form. Unless u power level (baalruns) since lvl 1, then u can go straight for smiter build.

With zealot/smiter. I recommend to use quick cast and bind your
Zeal
and
Smite
to other button than left mouse - this way your character is moving and when enemy is in range he engage. So game style is pretty much stereotype after few runs. Hold one button on keyboard/mouse and press other button if u wanna
Charge

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
The Flash wrote: 1 year ago
And upped HoZ do more dmg than Exile.
Just to avoid confusion here:
Upped HoZ does the same shield dmg as any Exile built in a
Zakarum Shield
. Any dmg advantage with HoZ (which is relatively small) comes solely from the skill points.

Though you can't/shouldn't view that in isolation. Using HoZ over Exile means you want your
Life Tap
somewhere else, typically meaning you're using Drac's. If you're using Drac's over
Steelrend
or other alternatives though, you then lose damage/crushing in the process, quite possible (very likely/for many build variations) more than offsetting the gain from the HoZ skills and actually lowering your overall dmg with HoZ.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Just to avoid confusion here:
Upped HoZ does the same shield dmg as any Exile built in a
Zakarum Shield
. Any dmg advantage with HoZ (which is relatively small) comes solely from the skill points.
yes difference in dmg is small. And yes extra dmg comes from +skills

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel

I wouldn't go the Smiter direction at all unless he's somewhere around 85 and Hell A5. Play the game skilling Hammer build and use budget gear like double Spirit et al. Respec at
Atma
when you have made all relevant quests and reached an appropriate level. Leveling and questing the pally once you focus on
Smite
is no fun imo. Unless, of course, you try some hybrid thingy but i havn't tried that yet.

Post ur offer before adding me. No PM. Only add me if u offer bin/lf. No reply after 3 days=offer rejected
No socketing service.
I second the affordable option of Spirit shield. Great for getting closer to 86% FHR breakpoint, and love the extra mana. I used that for many Uber runs, until I eventually found a HoZ and was able to upgrade it to decent defense (552). I think I went thru about 10 HoZ upgrades, all rolling close to 500 def until I finally got this keeper.

Will continue looking for a good Exile base, but starting to think it'll never happen for me (and I'm too cheap to buy one for 5+
Ber
). The best I've found so far after over a year of searching was an
Eth
Sup
Sacred Targe
with 11% ED and 12 All Res. Pathetic!! And I can't bring myself to waste
Vex
Ohm
(plus a good couple rerolls trying to get lvl 16
Defiance
) in a sub optimal base. Some day I will have the pleasure of experiencing Exile though, mark my words (unless D4 is truly that much better and steals me away from D2R)!!

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

Deleted User 95696 0

I would personally wait for an
Eth
Vortex Shield
no matter what, just the fact you can sell it much easier makes it worth it. If you can't find one just use a budget Spirit or hoz until you do, if you want to go base hunting just drop all your MF and do cows, armor stands in LK also drop bases too.
I think the real question is, how easy and/or fast do you want it to be?

I agree with @pyropy: The most essential thing gear-wise is Grief. I use HoZ, Treachery, and Drac's. Other gear to get to CB, and a
Life Tap
Wand
on swap. The biggest factor is IAS for your
Smite
attacks. You'll want that to be very fast, which you can get with
Phase Blade
Grief, Treachery, and
Fanaticism
. If you can clear
Uber Mephisto
's
Charged Bolt
+
Conviction
, the rest is cake. gl

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
I have a horror story from using a Grief
Berserker Axe
on a Smiter (going along with Schnorki's point).

I had a WW barb who was using axes because they're cool. I often make suboptimal decisions intentionally for personal style reasons; this was one. He had a Grief
Berserker Axe

Well, since WW isn't very good for ubers, I decided to build a cheap smiter on a really tight budget. Instead of paying for a new Grief, I just had him use the Grief
Berserker Axe
from my barb. Easy!

Then, there I am, sitting on
Uber Mephisto
. The hordes of his summons are ever growing. I am watching my health drop to nearly dead each time Meph attacks, only saved by my next hit with
Life Tap
up. My crushing blow chisels
Mephisto
down to the point where pure damage starts to matter, and this cheap smiter does crap pure damage. But, I'm staying up and I should be good!

Then, I get the 'low durability' marker on my screen from my weapon. The
Berserker Axe
is near breaking from swinging a billion times with
Smite
. Suddenly, I have a decision to make. Do I try to finish Meph off and risk my weapon breaking and immediate Death? Or, do I try to escape him and his horde without getting murdered, repair, and close on him a second time?

I chose the first. My weapon broke with a sliver of Meph's health left. I instantly died. And ended up dying another 7 or 8 times trying to get my body back. While I did eventually prevail, it wasn't pretty.

Now, there's ways out of this fate without NEEDING to make a Grief in a PB necessarily, but unless you're really attached to the
Axe
idea, you ought to make your life that much easier and get Grief in a
Phase Blade

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
One final thought, others might disagree. Don't roll your own Grief. Since you also have the runes for Exile, and you definitely don't need Exile, my advice is to use the
Ohm
to buy someone else's "bad" Grief. People will sell bad rolls for
Ohm
, since anyone with a
Lo
is more likely to attempt their own instead of buy a bad roll. You don't need high +dam, just IAS. Save your
Lo
for a Fortitude.

[edit]
This is advice if you want to be economical. If making rune words is part of the fun for you, by all means, go for it.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
OP
Thank you everybody again for sharing your thoughts, knowledge and experience.

This is what makes this game the best of all time. There's always something to learn from the best community
I personally use a
Shael
'd
Heaven's Light
for my smiter weapon. I initially grabbed it as a budget option until Grief. However it does just fine and kills plenty quick with a non-upped HoZ that I no longer see the need for a Grief.
~50 DClones and a dozen Uber runs with it.

I will consider offers that include Keys, Tokens of Absolution, Rals, PGems, Essences, or other mixed runes.
I am still learning prices, so if my asking price is too high, feel free to counter-offer.
I could use some advice on making my smiter faster for ubers since I'm doing a fair number of them.

Here's my setup for
Duriel
/
Izual
/
Lilith
:

- G-Face with
Ral
(that should probably be something else)
- Enigma
-
String of Ears

- Upped hoz with pdiamond.
- Grief
- dwarf
-
Raven

- goblins
- dracs
- cta/Spirit swap
- blue 30 all res ammy
- lots of charms/anni/torch

For the ubers I switch to Duress and use tgods for meph.

The big issue is teleporting and safety during teleporting. That's where most of the speed improvement would come from. I could maybe get to the 30% FCR BP and keep most of my res good if I swapped out my ammy and hands for FCR options and went Exile at the shield. Is this the route I should be considering? Or should I be looking at circlets? Going TP
Wand
?

There are a lot of options here.

Edit:
Another option which I had only just now considered is using my
Nova
sorc to gather the organs. I don't know how effective she is at
Lilith
killing. Dclone is not a huge issue though.
Your build seems similar to what I used when I first started. Since, I've moved away from some of those pieces and to what I feel is a very fast and smooth uber destroyer. Not trying to start the Grief/Last Wish debate, but LW is my preference. The merc is a nice to have, I don't use him half the time and it doesn't make much difference.

build: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/224ry01f

Collecting all three organs + the uber bosses is all done in less than 5 minutes with 100% success rate. Older video in here if interested. trade/uber-service-t1361514.html

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Selling Ber/Jah, click for wish list.
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
run on PS, accepting tips. Details
azeroti wrote: 3 months ago
Your build seems similar to what I used when I first started. Since, I've moved away from some of those pieces and to what I feel is a very fast and smooth uber destroyer. Not trying to start the Grief/Last Wish debate, but LW is my preference. The merc is a nice to have, I don't use him half the time and it doesn't make much difference.

build: https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/224ry01f

Collecting all three organs + the uber bosses is all done in less than 5 minutes with 100% success rate. Older video in here if interested. trade/uber-service-t1361514.html

That looks pretty maxed. Do you have any advice on what would improve my times the most right now? It seems like you might vote for Exile and FCR.

-------------------------

I did do the minis with my
Nova
sorc. It went quite smoothly except
Duriel
, who kept stunning her.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...