Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
28 replies   5595 views

Advance Magic Find Conspiracy - The Yellow Brick Wall

No data yet

Description

It seems like there might be a conspiracy going on in the game. Here's what's happening:

As I play the game, either alone or in multiplayer, I level up my characters and get new gear with higher MF (magic find). My drop rates significantly go up and everything seems normal. But then, when I put on new gear with even higher MF and specifically do MF runs, I eventually hit a drop rate wall.

Recently, I hit just above 400 MF with some new gear, the highest I've ever gotten to on my sorcerers. After putting on the last piece of gear that brought me over 400 MF, I was getting a lot of great drops from
Andariel
and
Mephisto
for about a day or two. Then, I hit what I like to call the "Yellow Brick Wall." At some point, I couldn't get nearly as many gold items as I was just after putting on the new gear (which improved my MF by about 75). I was getting gold drops 1-4 per
Andariel
or
Mephisto
kill for about 20 runs in a row, even if they were low quality and low level. It was like MF was working the way it's supposed to until it wasn't.

Now, my drop rate on gold items is so low it seems dubious. It's like I triggered something that killed the gold drop rate down to 2%. I've been running MF runs for the past three days straight, about 15-30 a day on
Andariel
and
Mephisto
, and it's just not worth my time now because of how few gold item drops I get. Instead of gold item drops, I just get yellow item drops at the rate I was getting gold ones just after hitting the 400 MF threshold. I know that as soon as you get higher MF, you'll get more yellow drops, and that's normal. But the gold drop rate going from 50-100% of a boss kill just after hitting the 400 MF threshold to what I'm getting now, which seems like 2%, is insane.

I've even added more MF to my character to see if it would make a difference, but it made no noticeable increase all the way up to 468 MF. I'm still only getting yellow drops after nearly all
Andariel
and
Mephisto
MF runs. I don't know what to do to fix this or determine if this is malicious on Blizzard's part, but it feels like a tinfoil hat conspiracy if there ever was one. Let me know what you think and if you've experienced the Yellow Brick Wall with adding MF to your character.
Description by RaCanEatYou

Can be used to make Runewords:

It seems like there might be a conspiracy going on in the game. Here's what's happening:

As I play the game, either alone or in multiplayer, I level up my characters and get new gear with higher MF (magic find). My drop rates significantly go up and everything seems normal. But then, when I put on new gear with even higher MF and specifically do MF runs, I eventually hit a drop rate wall.

Recently, I hit just above 400 MF with some new gear, the highest I've ever gotten to on my sorcerers. After putting on the last piece of gear that brought me over 400 MF, I was getting a lot of great drops from
Andariel
and
Mephisto
for about a day or two. Then, I hit what I like to call the "Yellow Brick Wall." At some point, I couldn't get nearly as many gold items as I was just after putting on the new gear (which improved my MF by about 75). I was getting gold drops 1-4 per
Andariel
or
Mephisto
kill for about 20 runs in a row, even if they were low quality and low level. It was like MF was working the way it's supposed to until it wasn't.

Now, my drop rate on gold items is so low it seems dubious. It's like I triggered something that killed the gold drop rate down to 2%. I've been running MF runs for the past three days straight, about 15-30 a day on
Andariel
and
Mephisto
, and it's just not worth my time now because of how few gold item drops I get. Instead of gold item drops, I just get yellow item drops at the rate I was getting gold ones just after hitting the 400 MF threshold. I know that as soon as you get higher MF, you'll get more yellow drops, and that's normal. But the gold drop rate going from 50-100% of a boss kill just after hitting the 400 MF threshold to what I'm getting now, which seems like 2%, is insane.

I've even added more MF to my character to see if it would make a difference, but it made no noticeable increase all the way up to 468 MF. I'm still only getting yellow drops after nearly all
Andariel
and
Mephisto
MF runs. I don't know what to do to fix this or determine if this is malicious on Blizzard's part, but it feels like a tinfoil hat conspiracy if there ever was one. Let me know what you think and if you've experienced the Yellow Brick Wall with adding MF to your character.

Ravoc 123

PC
Please structure the text in some paragraphs; most ppl won't bother reading this otherwise.
OP
Ravoc wrote: 1 year ago
Please structure the text in some paragraphs; most ppl won't bother reading this otherwise.
@Ravoc thanks for the inspiration
That is a marked improvement.

I have experienced massive slumps in finding good stuff, and I can say that adding more magic find at this point seems a wash, but there is no conspiracy: it just happens that the magic find formula is deigned such that magic find has diminishing returns.

Ravoc 123

PC
You might have had a period of great luck, with lots of unique drops, and are now experiencing a period of poor luck, with many rare and few unique drops. Being an RNG-based game, that's the nature of the Beast.

As phantomotap mentioned, MF has diminishing returns. The first 100 MF will add more chance than the next 200 MF. In general, the optimal MF would be the peak point before your efficiency in farming starts to degrade by all the dedicated MF gear. Adding beyond 400% is going to be a waste though.

Some more info about Magic Find -- old stuff but still valid afaik:

Nate 535

Switch
Also don’t discount yellow items! depending on your level rares can be better than the most expensive rune word or the rarest unique.

I never leave a rare throwing weapon,
Claws
, necro heads, set of
Boots
, pair of gloves or elite armour on the floor, and I’ll usually check spears/pole-arms to see if their at least ethereal. Rares can be absolutely gg

Ravoc 123

PC
Or blue monarchs, you never know it turns out to be a JMOD... ;)

Necrarch 1607Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Nice use of chatGPT by the way :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Reported for botting! /s
OP
Nate wrote: 1 year ago
Also don’t discount yellow items! depending on your level rares can be better than the most expensive rune word or the rarest unique.

I never leave a rare throwing weapon,
Claws
, necro heads, set of
Boots
, pair of gloves or elite armour on the floor, and I’ll usually check spears/pole-arms to see if their at least ethereal. Rares can be absolutely gg
I check all yellows when they drop and have found some crazy Yellows that make no sense but agree it's always worth checking.
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
Nice use of chatGPT by the way :)
Thanks, I love Chat GPT it's going to be an insane reality check to everyone in every industry. I've been following Ai in all diff kinds of fields and the history of Open Ai But I had no idea it was this good. Let the Games Begin!

Ravoc 123

PC
It's downright frightening honestly...

Politics and activism have already gone haywire during the past decade. Today is no longer about information, but about disinformation and propaganda, about manipulating the masses. These kinds of AI, combined with social media and how phones have essentially become the first mainstream cybernetic bodypart, are what can potentially lead to a cultural implosion of civilisation if left unchecked.
I asked ChatGPT to write a cover letter for my gf who was applying for a job at UC Berkeley, in an ecology field. Man... it wrote a better cover letter than I ever could possibly imagine, using all the right terminology and talk of experience (research, field, etc) in all the right ways, talked up the history of the school and what not... I didn't give any more instruction than literally write cover letter for job in this field at this uni. Really amazing.
Then I asked it to write a haiku and it couldn't get the number of syllables right no matter what I tried
OP
Ravoc wrote: 1 year ago
It's downright frightening honestly...

Politics and activism have already gone haywire during the past decade. Today is no longer about information, but about disinformation and propaganda, about manipulating the masses. These kinds of AI, combined with social media and how phones have essentially become the first mainstream cybernetic bodypart, are what can potentially lead to a cultural implosion of civilisation if left unchecked.
Read Kevin Kelly The Inevitable
Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Inevitab ... cT7&sr=1-1

And Also What Technology Wants

https://www.audible.com/pd/What-Technol ... EHU&sr=1-1

And Life 3.0
Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
Max Tegmark

https://www.audible.com/pd/Life-30-Audi ... K1d&sr=1-1

Between these 3 books and a bunch more I can recommend It's a good glimpse into the future and Technology and how we as a society should and likely will embrace and reject these technologies. I'm in the camp that this will just be another Internet + Mobile Phone + Google search moment and we'll all learn to adapt. Technology is moving at an exponential rate we'll adapt. It might not be pretty but read between the lines and don't get sucked into the Doom and Gloom.
OP
ardo123 wrote: 1 year ago
I asked ChatGPT to write a cover letter for my gf who was applying for a job at UC Berkeley, in an ecology field. Man... it wrote a better cover letter than I ever could possibly imagine, using all the right terminology and talk of experience (research, field, etc) in all the right ways, talked up the history of the school and what not... I didn't give any more instruction than literally write cover letter for job in this field at this uni. Really amazing.
Then I asked it to write a haiku and it couldn't get the number of syllables right no matter what I tried
I had it redo all of my LinkedIn, write a cover letter based on the Job posting + I added my Linkedin profile in a URL, and had it compose the cover letter based on the 2 of them and it wrote the most amazing letter I have ever read. If I had read this cover letter as a hiring manager I would choose my letter over other ppl just based on how well it was written and composed to specifically highlight all of my job experience and job requirements into the perfect pitch.

I could have never witter that well no matter how hard I tried. It also had some really good keywords that I read about in Behaviorism books I've read. Namely where it said things like I "Know" I can perform vs I'm (confident) I can perform. I was pretty impressed it had the latest psychology on how people perceive your abilities based on how you speak about your proficiency. It is def an impressive tool!
OP
Ok, so I want to expand on some of my observations in the Magic Find Conspiracy.

New Observations:

1. Whenever I stop playing D2R for 24hr or more than 12 hours the drop rate for Gold Items radically increases and the Yellow wall goes way down temporarily.

a. If I stay farming with just one Boss, like
Andariel
or
Mephisto
only it stays consistent for a bit of getting gold Item Drops then fades away. Seems like a good algo to prevent
Bots from farming all day.

b. If I switch acts and kill a different boss in the same game instance the Drop rate for Gold Items is still good only the first time I farm that way after waiting 24-12 hours of playing. As soon as I create a new game after doing that the Yellow Brick Wall/ Bad MF drop Rate starts again and I need to wait for the MF Cooldown to start again.

c. Something about switching Acts seems to trigger an MF Bot shutdown on the character. I also believe that there has something to do with leaving the game in the new act that is also causing it. Because as stated above If I stay in the act and just kill the one boss it stays High MF drop rate.

Tests: I need to test leaving the game from the act in which I killed the first boss in and see if it doesn't trigger the MF drop rate Kill switch.

End of conspiracy observations for the day.
As phantomotap and other users have pointed out, magic find has diminishing returns. The probability drops greatly starting at about 200mf for uniques, which I suppose you are referring to as gold items. On the other hand, the diminishing effect isn't as strong as with rares, which I suppose you are referring to as yellow items. Your getting a lot of rares with higher mf is not surprising at all.

As for why you had great drops when leveling up, if it happened when you killed the boss for the quest, it wouldn't be surprising, either. Quest drops can be a lot better than normal drops for uniques.

M1ck 332

Europe PC
bubix wrote: 1 year ago
As phantomotap and other users have pointed out, magic find has diminishing returns. The probability drops greatly starting at about 200mf for uniques, which I suppose you are referring to as gold items. On the other hand, the diminishing effect isn't as strong as with rares, which I suppose you are referring to as yellow items. Your getting a lot of rares with higher mf is not surprising at all.

As for why you had great drops when leveling up, if it happened when you killed the boss for the quest, it wouldn't be surprising, either. Quest drops can be a lot better than normal drops for uniques.
Except most have
Andariel
quest bugged, so you always get the quest drop (
Duriel
in some cases too so you don't get thirty scrolls).

I'm with RaCanEatYou, something is off. I've got a 700+ MF Zerker and it finds far less unique items now than it did a few month ago. Repeatedly farming
Andariel
no longer seems worth it from my experience, it definitely was before. I've managed to find at least fifteen Harlequin Crests (gave most of them away for free), eight
Stone of Jordan
and more unique rings than I could use (also given away for free).

The vast majority of items that I've listed were found a few months ago. It's gotten so bad that I barely use the character any-more other than obtaining gold from Trav runs for gambling. I also feel like it is some sort of relatively recently added anti-bot protection.
M1ck wrote: 1 year ago
most have
Andariel
quest bugged, so you always get the quest drop
What do you mean by that?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation