Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
28 replies   4002 views

Description

TL;DR: I need advice on Barbarian and Amazon builds that are primarily fun and secondarily easy to play, a Necromancer build that would mesh with them, and some advice on lower mid-level weapons I could gift them.

My dad watched me play D2R for like three hours the other day, and he wants to give it a shot. I told him I'd get him a copy for Christmas--which I had already done. I've secretly gotten my mom a Playstation 5 for Christmas, and I also grabbed her a copy of D2R. (For those curious, I already opened and updated so we wouldn't have to wait for hours when Christmas roles around.) I'm not really worried about Normal, but I really hope they enjoy playing and would go on to Nightmare and Hell difficulties. They enjoyed playing D3 a lot, and I realize that's a very different game, but I have high hopes. My goal is basically to get them hooked on playing with fun and easy builds so that they will then want to experiment with other characters or builds.

I showed my dad the characters and gave a brief rundown on what makes them different. He loved the Barbarian as a dual wielding monster, and he certainly can be such a monster, but I have no idea how to build a good one that is primarily fun and easy to play. He isn't great about remembering, for example, to refresh whatever auras were called in D3 and similar games. He doesn't even really like to trade up moves unless it is somehow strategic. I can't afford great equipment yet, but I wanted to get them an game gift. I was working on getting him a good Obedience before he liked the dual wield aspect. Beyond the build, I'd also like a recommendation for some weapons I might be able to afford in the lower mid-level range; I'm hoping for something in the two-handed category.

My mom loved the Demon Hunter. The Amazon with a bow focus makes her pretty near the mark. I looked up bow builds of course, but I don't know how fun and easy they'd be to play which is my main focus. Switching up skills isn't something she is good at. I know no one skill is going to work well for everything, but I was hoping I could get a build recommendation that was pretty good all-rounder with maybe just two or three skills being kicked around. I'm currently planning on setting her up with a
Buriza-Do Kyanon
as an in game gift. I feel the level is about right, and she'd probably think it looks neat, and I can't afford 95% equipment yet so some things are just out of the question, but if you feel a different affordable mid-level bow is the right choice, I'd love to hear about it.

I have been playing Sorcerer for my main in my private--single player on Bnet--games, and a Paladin in public games. They are great, but I want to mix things up with my family games. I'm not so keen on Assassin or Druid, and I loved playing Necromancer when
Corpse Explosion
admittedly kind of over-powered. I don't much care about the difficulty of play. I can switch things up fine, and I have no trouble remembering to recast, but I would like advice on a build that would work well with the Barbarian and Amazon builds. I'd like to be able to provide some level of support while still being able to do a little damage. If I hadn't already started a Paladin, I'd probably go for that instead.

Sorry for the wall of text, but thanks for your time, and have a great holiday.

Can be used to make Runewords:

TL;DR: I need advice on Barbarian and Amazon builds that are primarily fun and secondarily easy to play, a Necromancer build that would mesh with them, and some advice on lower mid-level weapons I could gift them.

My dad watched me play D2R for like three hours the other day, and he wants to give it a shot. I told him I'd get him a copy for Christmas--which I had already done. I've secretly gotten my mom a Playstation 5 for Christmas, and I also grabbed her a copy of D2R. (For those curious, I already opened and updated so we wouldn't have to wait for hours when Christmas roles around.) I'm not really worried about Normal, but I really hope they enjoy playing and would go on to Nightmare and Hell difficulties. They enjoyed playing D3 a lot, and I realize that's a very different game, but I have high hopes. My goal is basically to get them hooked on playing with fun and easy builds so that they will then want to experiment with other characters or builds.

I showed my dad the characters and gave a brief rundown on what makes them different. He loved the Barbarian as a dual wielding monster, and he certainly can be such a monster, but I have no idea how to build a good one that is primarily fun and easy to play. He isn't great about remembering, for example, to refresh whatever auras were called in D3 and similar games. He doesn't even really like to trade up moves unless it is somehow strategic. I can't afford great equipment yet, but I wanted to get them an game gift. I was working on getting him a good Obedience before he liked the dual wield aspect. Beyond the build, I'd also like a recommendation for some weapons I might be able to afford in the lower mid-level range; I'm hoping for something in the two-handed category.

My mom loved the Demon Hunter. The Amazon with a bow focus makes her pretty near the mark. I looked up bow builds of course, but I don't know how fun and easy they'd be to play which is my main focus. Switching up skills isn't something she is good at. I know no one skill is going to work well for everything, but I was hoping I could get a build recommendation that was pretty good all-rounder with maybe just two or three skills being kicked around. I'm currently planning on setting her up with a
Buriza-Do Kyanon
as an in game gift. I feel the level is about right, and she'd probably think it looks neat, and I can't afford 95% equipment yet so some things are just out of the question, but if you feel a different affordable mid-level bow is the right choice, I'd love to hear about it.

I have been playing Sorcerer for my main in my private--single player on Bnet--games, and a Paladin in public games. They are great, but I want to mix things up with my family games. I'm not so keen on Assassin or Druid, and I loved playing Necromancer when
Corpse Explosion
admittedly kind of over-powered. I don't much care about the difficulty of play. I can switch things up fine, and I have no trouble remembering to recast, but I would like advice on a build that would work well with the Barbarian and Amazon builds. I'd like to be able to provide some level of support while still being able to do a little damage. If I hadn't already started a Paladin, I'd probably go for that instead.

Sorry for the wall of text, but thanks for your time, and have a great holiday.

Schnorki 3197Moderator

PC
What immediately comes to mind is
Frenzy
Strafe
and literally any necro with 1 point in amp.

Obviously, fun is and will always remain a highly subjective thing so how well those ideas really work out remains to be seen. But..

- If your dad's main draw towards a barb was the "dual wielding monster", a
Frenzy
barb is the obvious choice. Not only are they indeed said "dual wielding monster" but they're actually quite good at what they do on top of that. Plus most of the time, it is literally just holding down
Frenzy
and you're good. So no need to worry about shifting skills around or any of that. Given, one of the best things about barbs (especially if you all play together) is the shouts so ideally he'll be refreshing
Battle Command
Battle Orders
and
Shout
every once in a while but that's only once every few minutes and honestly, even if he forgets, it isn't the end of the world. The (then missing)
Shout
buff rings make it quite obvious when they do run out as well.
Whirlwind
would kind of fit the theme as well, as an alternate choice.

- If your mom ideally just wants one skill to deal with,
Strafe
zon just feels like an easy choice. She gets her archer feel and a skill that happens to be a solid choice for both, general PvE and bosses specifically. They're easy to play, comparatively easy to gear and there's literally 0 other skills needed. At the same time, they do leave room for improving your gameplay if/when she does bother wanting to deal with more than 1 skill because shifting between
Strafe
, multi and guided is more performant, depending on the situation. Hidden benefit: Same spec either way since both, multi and GA are synergies for
Strafe

- The downside of the above two specs happens to be the same for both..they are inherently physical dmg builds with very little in terms of alternate damage types (even more so if you don't want to use more than 1 skill).
Magic Arrow
is a solid phys zon choice for cleaning up phys immunes but that really only works well enough at higher gear lvls and it is a separate skill. Same goes for a point in
Berserk
on a barb. If your choice of a support char is a necro though..you're all in luck because you adding amplify not only basically doubles both their dmg across the board but it also takes phys immunes out of the equation in nearly every case (as non-breakable phys immunes are extremely rare). Plus it makes all 3 of your mercs go nuts so..yeah, win win win. Other than the 1 point in amp, it allows you to do really whatever you want with the necro. Summoner,
Corpse Explosion
, Bone, poison, whatever is most fun to you. Though poison is admittedly probably the worst choice because amp means you won't have lower res for your poison and
Frenzy
and
Strafe
both come with rather high attack speeds (not even considering 3 mercs) which amplifies the whole problem of "other dmg interferes with poison ticks".

All 3 can become quite performant with comparatively little/cheap gear.
Get your mom a
Windforce
(WF vs. Faith remains an eternal discussion but here that isn't applicable as Faith would likely be well beyond your budget anyways). For
Frenzy
, you've got plenty of choices at various price ranges from
Azurewrath
over Kingslayer and Death to Grief. Duress for both as a cheaper solution until Fortitude becomes affordable. So on and so forth. And as a necro...well, literally any caster gear as a starting point.
What a cool venture! The family that slays together stays together, right?

Comments on builds:

Amazon: For a decent amazon build that does not require switching skills, the first question is whether your mom would be willing to play a Javazon. They're just too good and too simple not to be the first recommendation here. However, if she specifically wants to use a bow, then things are a bit more complicated as bowazons are very expensive and imo you don't really get much bang for your buck. Physical Bowazon using Multishot or
Strafe
and
Guided Arrow
is probably your best bet, as Magezon is a bit complicated, but Frost Maiden could be good too depending on your Wealth. Both options require some high-runes.

Necromancer: Poison Necro is my absolute favorite necromancer play style, and it would be a good balance for the fact that your mom will probably end up doing mostly physical damage. However, it also requires some very specific items to work, and
Death's Web
can be pricy. It also uses
Lower Resist
curse which does not buff your parents like other builds would. Until you can get there, your options are Bone Necro or Summon Necro. I'd recommend Summon Necro to add some tankiness to the party and keep your parents safe.
Amplify Damage
and
Decrepify
are your main curses with a summoner, which also buffs your parents.

Barbarian: There's a lot more options here, and all pretty simple.
Whirlwind
Frenzy
, and
Berserk
are all really great builds.
Frenzy
Barb gains a ton of movement speed, though, so your dad would either constantly be running ahead of y'all or standing around losing his buffs, both of which could be annoying.
Berserk
does Magic Damage, which would be great to balance out that your mom and you may end up dealing a large amount of physical damage, but then he doesn't benefit from any of your curses. WW is great, and while it triples down on physical damage,
Amplify Damage
does so much to strip that down that you should be fine.

Comments on Weapons:

Amazon: Insight bow is sooo good. The mana regen helps, for sure, but even without that, it's got huge Enhanced Damage for a low level item, a big bonus to attack rating, some magic find, really, there's nothing to dislike about it. You could switch to a Harmony closer to the mid-game, but Insight really can take you all the way up to
Windforce
/Ice/Faith.

Barbarian: Honor isn't bad for a low level weapon, Unbending Will is quite cool if you have access to Ladder Only RWs. There's a lot more variety options for a leveling Barb, I would say, in general.
Civerb's Cudgel
is a remarkable early game weapon that scales beautifully even through Act II normal.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
I have to admit I havent read it all (too long).

But as schnorki said:
Frenzy
Strafe
(big BUT).

I agree with
Frenzy
. Thats fun. But in the end its boring to play. You buff yourself, hold right click on mouse where ur
Frenzy
is and thats all what you need to do.

Which will cause problems when they will play together, because your mom wont just be running fast enough.

Imho WW is a bit more fun, you need to do small triangles and its not about holding one button. Character is slower so amazon would be able to keep up with barb.

Regarding bowazon: I have bowa (frost + multishot +
Guided Arrow
+
Valkyrie
) - my 1st character to kill
Baal
without any trading (in D2r). I got buriza and I upgraded it along the way. After I switched to other characters I put Maavina set on her and its huuuuge improvement. And I have decided to run multishot instead of
Strafe
, because if ur max dmg is low, I felt like
Strafe
was killing me. (with my 2nd bowa, 'almost maxed' physical bowa,
Strafe
is epic).

Regarding their gear, if u give them OP gear, then game would be super easy, but will they have fun after few hours?

You mentioned that you bought PS5. So why not spend few € to buy them
Lo
as welcome gift (for Fortitude). Runes are quite cheap (
Lo
<2€).

for bowa and barb Fortitude will help them a lot with crappy weapons they will find and its endgame armor so if they quit playing u can use them for urself.

And if they will like it, you should recommend them some good builds which has synergies or different elements or something so they will be able to get through the game without any major frustration.

PS: if u want annies for them send me PM :)

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel
Butcher’s pupil and head striker are solid mid game weapons that will certainly get a barb through nightmare.
Lightsabre
and Oath are cheap upgrade options once you reach hell.
Whirlwind
has always been my favorite barb build with one point in
Frenzy
for movement speed and one point in
Berserk
for physical immunes.

As for the Amazon, if you already have buriza… that is a solid option until you can get a
Windforce
. I’ve always preferred the multi-shot,
Guided Arrow
and
Strafe
build. The frozen and Ice
Arrows
are good for crowd control though.
Witchwild String
and kuku shakaku are great options until buriza becomes available.

For the necro, i learned through experience that summon build is not great for leveling. It is a great late game build with
Arm of King Leoric
and plenty of gear that has plus to skills.
Poison Nova
is fun but Death’s web is pretty much necessary for that build. In your case I would recommend
Bone Spear
and all of its synergies and one point in
Corpse Explosion
Corpse Explosion
is the best aoe skill in the game.

Necrarch 1621Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Read that
Civerb's Cudgel
was recommended, feel free to add me if you want one for free.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
First of all, good for you OP. Re: your mom's enjoyment of demon hunter, I think a
Freezing Arrow
/
Multiple Shot
zon would have the most similar feel. D3
Strafe
was a very different skill--almost like
Whirlwind
, but with arrows.
Multiple Shot
did translate quite a bit to D3, and
Freezing Arrow
might feel a bit like cluster arrow.

gl!

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
OP
TL;DR: Wow. You all given me a great deal to think about. I really appreciate it. Thanks. Also, as a matter of interest, this forum is significantly... nicer than the other game specific forums I've visited in the past so thanks for that as well.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Obviously, fun is and will always remain a highly subjective thing so how well those ideas really work out remains to be seen.
I know that's the truth, but I got some really great stuff to think about thanks you folks.
Plus most of the time, it is literally just holding down
Frenzy
and you're good.
Nice. That's kind of what he did with D3. Just spammed... whatever that skill was called.

I'm kind of leaning towards
Whirlwind
out of the two options. He has a tendency to get lost, and Winterkill pointed out the speed difference issues.
They're easy to play, comparatively easy to gear and there's literally 0 other skills needed.
I'm actually trying to spec out the early levels for them in advance. I'll have to look into the prerequisites.
Get your mom a
Windforce
(WF vs. Faith remains an eternal discussion but here that isn't applicable as Faith would likely be well beyond your budget anyways).
I can try, but I don't think I can afford it. Don't have a character capable of really tearing through Hell yet so the only really good stuff I've got was from terrorized Nightmare.
Winterkill wrote: 1 year ago
What a cool venture! The family that slays together stays together, right?
Yep! We've been playing this sort of thing together since Gauntlet Legends. ^_^
For a decent amazon build that does not require switching skills, the first question is whether your mom would be willing to play a Javazon.
I'll spec out both builds for her, and talk with her about it at the time, but I'm pretty sure she will want a bow.
I'd recommend Summon Necro to add some tankiness to the party and keep your parents safe.
That sounds perfect. I'll look into it.
Frenzy
Barb gains a ton of movement speed, though, so your dad would either constantly be running ahead of y'all or standing around losing his buffs, both of which could be annoying.
Thank you for the warning. That's no good at all.
The Flash wrote: 1 year ago
I have to admit I havent read it all (too long).
Oh, yeah? Well, I read all these posts back to back! ^_^
I have bowa (frost + multishot +
Guided Arrow
+
Valkyrie
) - my 1st character to kill
Baal
without any trading (in D2r). I got buriza and I upgraded it along the way. After I switched to other characters I put Maavina set on her and its huuuuge improvement. And I have decided to run multishot instead of
Strafe
, because if ur max dmg is low, I felt like
Strafe
was killing me. (with my 2nd bowa, 'almost maxed' physical bowa,
Strafe
is epic).
I'm sure she'd like being able to solo stuff down the road so I think I'm going to look into
Strafe
as the main skill.
Regarding their gear, if u give them OP gear, then game would be super easy, but will they have fun after few hours?
Well, that's actually why I wanted something lower mid-level believe it or not. You know, get them something they can aim for in the interim while also setting them up on the way to finding/trading for that late game stuff.
Crushnasty wrote: 1 year ago
Butcher’s pupil and head striker are solid mid game weapons that will certainly get a barb through nightmare.
I'll keep those in mind; I don't think I've ever even heard of
Butcher's Pupil
As for the Amazon, if you already have buriza… that is a solid option until you can get a
Windforce
I still need one, but I don't think I can hit the price point for a
Windforce
anyway so it's still probably a good option.
For the necro, i learned through experience that summon build is not great for leveling.
That's... not great. I don't want to fall behind.
In your case I would recommend
Bone Spear
and all of its synergies and one point in
Corpse Explosion
I'm not super into spending 80 points on one skill for myself. I like a little more variety, but I'll put that in my back pocket in case summoning really doesn't work out.
cristobal03 wrote: 1 year ago
First of all, good for you OP.
^_^
I think a
Freezing Arrow
/
Multiple Shot
Strafe
Whirlwind
, but with
Arrows
Multiple Shot
Freezing Arrow
Yeah. D3
Strafe
was GunFu with crossbows.

I assume you are suggesting
Freezing Arrow
over other possibilities for the crowd control aspect!?

That sounds pretty good. She liked being able to slow/
Stun
in D3.

Necrarch 1621Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
For necro, summoner works fine early game except for act bosses. Especially Diablo is a big challenge.
I suggest you put 1 point or more in
Bone Spear
to have a more active part than a pure summoner and when having tried various builds you can use of your 3 respecs.
1 point in amp damage will help DaddyBarb and MommyZon a lot. :)
(Esp with
Strafe
).

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
OP
I didn't give the lack of corpses during certain bosses a lot of thought. I guess I will have to invest a bit in something like
Bone Spear
. Thanks.

Necrarch 1621Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
The main issue with Diablo is that he usually one shots with his Fire
Nova
all summons. So you end up pretty naked. But once again if you party play with Zon and Barb and cast either Amp Damage (+100% physical) or
Decrepify
(+50% physical + slow effect) your parents will just do the work. If you are at level 30 Revives also help quite a lot for just one point invested.

My suggestion : just put 1 point in whole summoning tree except
Fire Golem
(useless), even if you go for Poison or Bone or Corpse Expl, you'll have a wide meat shield. With a +X to all skills you'll progressively get, that's never a lost investment and you can still put some more after. Shopping a good + X to any useful skill
Wand
early game at
Akara
(and later at
Drognan
for White) also helps.

My own main is a hybrid necro Bone / poison / summon. Sure he is not optimal but he is so fun to play :)

Hf !

Annihilus
On the Summon Necro leveling experience, as Necrarch said, the big problem is that act bosses eat your minions and they usually don't have corpses near them to replenish the horde or use
Corpse Explosion
(
Duriel
and
Baal
being the worst offenders with 0 possible corpses).

However, this is where the dynamic of playing with your parents comes in.
Decrepify
+
Clay Golem
slows bosses so much that they can't get up to much, allowing your parents to just wail on them for free and extra damage.
Baal
is nearly immobilized with this combo and most of the time won't even cast successfully. Snag a pair of Goblin Toes for the Crushing Blow for the Barb and you won't have any issues. I would personally go full summoner with
Clay Golem
in this situation, but that's your call, really. The other suggestions here absolutely work.

More early game gear tips now that I'm thinking about them:

Wearing
Sigon's Visor
and
Sigon's Gage
gives massive buffs., including +30% increased attack speed, 10% life leech, strength, and bonus to attack rating per level, which is amazing for leveling characters. When I leveled my Physical Bowazon, she wore those two pieces literally from Act 1 Normal to halfway through hell. These would be amazing for both your parents.

Angelic Halo
and
Angelic Wings
also grant massive attack rating per level and +75 life another amazing buff for leveling characters. It also gives +10 Dexterity, which is more attack rating and helps towards bow usage requirements, allowing your mom to invest a bit more into Vit or Str. Especially if you want to use Sigon's pieces early, she'll be over-investing into STR, so getting some dex and life back with angelics helps until you level up enough to get your stats balanced.

Death's Guard
gives cannot be frozen

Goblin Toes are amazing low level physical character
Boots
, and the lack of faster run/walk will help your slow Necro keep up.

All of these are cheap, easily found, low level items that you could probably get for free from people on here. I might have a few extra pairs of them lying around even, and they make quite the difference! Especially coming from Diablo 3, where there's no chance to hit formula, monsters are way more passive and less dangerous, and gearing is more about green numbers than actual attributes, getting some of these 'set and forget' pieces will make the leveling process much smoother.

phantomotap wrote: 1 year ago
I think a
Freezing Arrow
/
Multiple Shot
Strafe
Whirlwind
, but with
Arrows
Multiple Shot
Freezing Arrow
I assume you are suggesting
Freezing Arrow
over other possibilities for the crowd control aspect!?

That sounds pretty good. She liked being able to slow/
Stun
in D3.
Yes, that exactly. Demon Hunter is a nimble, rangey char type that tends to excel at AOE rather than single target.
Freezing Arrow
and
Multiple Shot
are both AOE with the potential for crowd control. The big difference between D2R and D3 is that
Multiple Shot
won't have the secondary effects on the skill itself, but with the right gear, a
Multiple Shot
zon might end up being the most powerful party member. Have a look at the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl concept. Some of that equipment is beyond beginner tier, but the real difference-maker for AOE is the Delirium runeword. At
Lem
+
Ist
+
Io
, that's not out of reach.

[edit]
One thought, though, the Delirium RW
Confuse
proc might collide with whatever cursing your necro is doing. So that's something to consider for a dedicated team: Mobs can only have one curse at a time.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
My own main is a hybrid necro Bone / poison / summon. Sure he is not optimal but he is so fun to play :)
Neat. I'd really rather play around than spend 80 points on one skill anyway.
All of these are cheap, easily found, low level items that you could probably get for free from people on here. I might have a few extra pairs of them lying around even, and they make quite the difference! Especially coming from Diablo 3, where there's no chance to hit formula, monsters are way more passive and less dangerous, and gearing is more about green numbers than actual attributes, getting some of these 'set and forget' pieces will make the leveling process much smoother.
I'll have to look around, but I know I've had some pieces of Sigon's, but I'll have to ask around for the Angelic set.
Have a look at the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl concept. Some of that equipment is beyond beginner tier, but the real difference-maker for AOE is the Delirium runeword. At
Lem
+
Ist
+
Io
Well, it is out of my price range for now, but soon-ish I think I'll be able to run Hell for some higher level runes and stuff. Getting that resistance up a little bit at a time.

Schnorki 3197Moderator

PC
Neat. I'd really rather play around than spend 80 points on one skill anyway.
100 for Bone. :p
Though you do at least get more than 1 usable skill out of it so there is a silver lining. Beauty of a necro really..corpse exp, most curses, golems,
Revive
..they're all 1 point wonders which is why you can actually afford to drop 100pts on a single "main" skill and still get more variety than many other classes/builds.
I'll have to look around, but I know I've had some pieces of Sigon's, but I'll have to ask around for the Angelic set.
Are you planning on making these characters on ladder or non-ladder?

Have a look at the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl concept. Some of that equipment is beyond beginner tier, but the real difference-maker for AOE is the Delirium runeword. At
Lem
+
Ist
+
Io
Well, it is out of my price range for now, but soon-ish I think I'll be able to run Hell for some higher level runes and stuff. Getting that resistance up a little bit at a time.
Since it was my suggestion, I will donate the runes. I don't have a 3-socket hat or I'd just give you the runeword. Add me, cristobal03#1793.

OP
Beauty of a necro really..corpse exp, most curses, golems,
Revive
..they're all 1 point wonders which is why you can actually afford to drop 100pts on a single "main" skill and still get more variety than many other classes/builds.
Seems like I'll have to look into that some more then... I remember sinking 20 points into
Corpse Explosion
way back.
Are you planning on making these characters on ladder or non-ladder?
It will be their first experience on D2 so probably non-ladder, but I am not completely on that decision yet.
Since it was my suggestion, I will donate the runes. I don't have a 3-socket hat or I'd just give you the runeword. Add me, cristobal03#1793.
That would be cool, but I'm on PS5 and the whatsit lists you as on Windows.

I understand separating HC and SC of course; same for L and NL, but I don't really know why cross-platform isn't a thing for this game.

Schnorki 3197Moderator

PC
Seems like I'll have to look into that some more then... I remember sinking 20 points into
Corpse Explosion
way back.
All you get from more skill points in CE is a higher radius and a higher mana cost. The mana cost, you obviously don't actually want. The radius you do want but you tend to get plenty from just +skill gear, especially if you end up rolling as a Bone necro because your skill charms will then also buff CE. Hell, even
Magefist
buffs it because it's considered a fire skill. As a Bone necro with 1 point in CE, you can still easily push it to 20+ just with gear. 30+ with BiS gear, depending on the exact build. That's more than enough.

Though yeah, if you use CE a lot and you don't have any real +skill gear yet, then you may want some points in there during the lvling/gearing process and only drop it back down to 1 in a respec later on.

It will be their first experience on D2 so probably non-ladder, but I am not completely on that decision yet.
Is that really a reason against ladder?
You don't lose anything by going ladder over non-ladder when you're just starting out. Instead, you gain a more active environment and the ladder content once you get to that stage (sunders, ladder RWs, ...).
SC over HC of course, that's a completely different thing. But starting from scratch on non-ladder nowadays to me honestly sounds a bit odd. Just ignore the actual ranking aspect and enjoy the benefits of ladder.
OP
I'm sorry Schnorki; your response kind of fell through the cracks.
All you get from more skill points in CE is a higher radius and a higher mana cost. The mana cost, you obviously don't actually want. The radius you do want but you tend to get plenty from just +skill gear, especially if you end up rolling as a Bone necro because your skill charms will then also buff CE. Hell, even
Magefist
buffs it because it's considered a fire skill. As a Bone necro with 1 point in CE, you can still easily push it to 20+ just with gear. 30+ with BiS gear, depending on the exact build. That's more than enough.
I got you. No point wasting the point on something that will be a pretty massive AoE later anyway. Though, I'm not sure if I'll ever get BiS across the board.
Is that really a reason against ladder?
Well, no, the underlying reason is more... cranky, but I'm picking up what you are putting down.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...