Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
17 replies   1986 views

Description

Update: Marking this with a probably false alarm. While I didn't ctrl+click the rune, Deiphos here confirmed the scammer is trying to make people ctrl+click their items. My
Ber
may have poofed instead.

Previous post:
Don't link items in game chat! Especially, if asked to!

I lost a
Ber
rune FROM MY INVENTORY by linking it in game chat (not in PM which I did at first). If a person with a battle.net ID starting with Y********#2438 wants you to link a rune or whatever in game chat, don't. Lesson learnt the hard way for me but how the frick does that work and how can you protect yourself from it? They ran into me on EU ladder.

They have a stash full of high end items they must have stolen this way. I realized I was scammed after seeing a "scam alert" lobby game with their name in description.

No words, just utterly dumbfounded.
Description by Queegon

Can be used to make Runewords:

Update: Marking this with a probably false alarm. While I didn't ctrl+click the rune, Deiphos here confirmed the scammer is trying to make people ctrl+click their items. My
Ber
may have poofed instead.

Previous post:

I lost a
Ber
rune FROM MY INVENTORY by linking it in game chat (not in PM which I did at first). If a person with a battle.net ID starting with Y********#2438 wants you to link a rune or whatever in game chat, don't. Lesson learnt the hard way for me but how the frick does that work and how can you protect yourself from it? They ran into me on EU ladder.

They have a stash full of high end items they must have stolen this way. I realized I was scammed after seeing a "scam alert" lobby game with their name in description.

Answeredby Deiphos1 year agoGo to post
Queegon wrote: 1 year ago

I lost a ber rune FROM MY INVENTORY by linking it in game chat (not in PM which I did at first). If a person with a battle.net ID starting with Y********#2438 wants you to link a rune or whatever in game chat, don't. Lesson learnt the hard way for me but how the frick does that work and how can you protect yourself from it? They ran into me on EU ladder.

Tried the same with me yesterday with an 18-20-10 Anni.
As Shift click isn't cutting it they wait for the other end to CTRL click so they drop the item

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Thanks for the heads-up.

Just to be sure: are you 100% certain that you pressed Maj while clicking the
Ber
, and not Ctrl?
OP
Yes (shift+click, as always, the ctrl+click is ye olde "try alt+f4, if it fixes it"), confirmed by the lobby game named appropriately after. I put the rune back into my shared stash. When I looked a game later it was gone.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Ok, second question then: It was a rune you found yourself, or traded?
OP
I cubed it myself from 2
Sur
today.

Necrarch 1652Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
That seems crazy !
Thanks for the info.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
That should prevent poofing from duped items (duping has been reported in another post, sadly wrecking confidence in fair trading).
Unless Blizzard updated their anti-dupe scan...
Sorry for being pushy, but again, where do those
Sur
came from?
OP
I have my suspicions about
Sur
runes in general because they are apparently worth as much as
Ohm
. So either a) market collapsed on
Sur
or b) They are duped to hell and back.

That's why I cube immediately upon getting them, not taking any chances. Cubing *should* remove any past affiliations to unique item ID. That's what the news about duping gave me - anxiety of keeping anything. Guess it works. :D

Had one since yesterday from a trade. Traded for the second today.

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
At this point,
Sur
go for
Ohm
Vex
in SC ladder.
And later it should go for 3
Ohm
(reaching NL price).
Not that it does matter...

You have been transparent, so I see no reason to not believe in your information.
Beside, not linking an item is not a big deal.
Sorry for your loss, and thanks again for notifying us about this!

Schnorki 3206Moderator

PC
I have a theory. Really more of a hope...but I do doubt it as that'd require useful work on Blizz's end...
IF they..
1) extended the find-and-nuke dupe check to trigger on every interaction with an item, which would then include linking it in chat
and
2) preserved item IDs on cubing, runewording and whatnot

It'd explain why your rune went poof from a simple linking if one or both of the
Sur
were in fact dupes.

Generally speaking, I would love (LOVE!) to see that actually be implemented because it'd be the one way to truly protect the buyer from dupes as trading and/or dropping them would be an interaction, meaning they go poof before they can ever be successfully sold. Dupers also couldn't protect their exploits by cubing up or the like. They'd simply end up with a ton of copies, none of which they could sell or do anything with without it disappearing.

But honestly, I dare say that's just wishful thinking on my part.

There is something messed up with the linking in general though. What's fascinating to me as well is that you could even do it. I had someone ask me to do that recently as well. Also in private message (despite being in the game and chat working for once). Didn't think much of it because some folks liked to make it complicated since d2:r launched. Or more accurately, I figured he's either being annoying or he'll ask me to ctrl-link shortly. But the thing is...I couldn't. It was literally impossible to link the bloody thing into a private chat. Game chat, yes, but not private message.

Sur
pricing isn't unusual though. Assuming you're on ladder.
Sur
tends to be very close to
Lo
early on, was the same last season. And
Lo
tends to be cheaper early on as well (
Ohm
Vex
, roughly). This season..for some odd reason..it feels like everything is stupid cheap, by any comparison, be that to NL or to S1.
Lo
+ bases for
Gul
, ladder first annis immediately available for
Vex
to
Ohm
Ber
for not even 20
Ist
, ...
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Ber
for not even 20
Ist
, ...
I just saw someone selling
Ber
for 16
Ist
in game.
I have a theory. Really more of a hope...but I do doubt it as that'd require useful work on Blizz's end...
IF they..
1) extended the find-and-nuke dupe check to trigger on every interaction with an item, which would then include linking it in chat
and

It'd explain why your rune went poof from a simple linking if one or both of the
Sur
were in fact dupes.

Generally speaking, I would love (LOVE!) to see that actually be implemented because it'd be the one way to truly protect the buyer from dupes as trading and/or dropping them would be an interaction, meaning they go poof before they can ever be successfully sold. Dupers also couldn't protect their exploits by cubing up or the like. They'd simply end up with a ton of copies, none of which they could sell or do anything with without it disappearing.

But honestly, I dare say that's just wishful thinking on my part.

There is something messed up with the linking in general though. What's fascinating to me as well is that you could even do it. I had someone ask me to do that recently as well. Also in private message (despite being in the game and chat working for once). Didn't think much of it because some folks liked to make it complicated since d2:r launched. Or more accurately, I figured he's either being annoying or he'll ask me to ctrl-link shortly. But the thing is...I couldn't. It was literally impossible to link the bloody thing into a private chat. Game chat, yes, but not private message.

Sur
pricing isn't unusual though. Assuming you're on ladder.
Sur
tends to be very close to
Lo
early on, was the same last season. And
Lo
tends to be cheaper early on as well (
Ohm
Vex
, roughly). This season..for some odd reason..it feels like everything is stupid cheap, by any comparison, be that to NL or to S1.
Lo
+ bases for
Gul
, ladder first annis immediately available for
Vex
to
Ohm
Ber
for not even 20
Ist
, ...
bases being cheaper makes sense to me based on more people almost exclusively farming
Terror
zones. elemental stuff like griffons or Death fathom are probably more expensive. The drop tables for
Terror
zones seem weird and unbalanced to me. Lots of low uniques and set items and some elite ones, but exceptional ones seem lacking, but that's just one person's RNG.
and
This would be awesome if they implemented to be honest. I also wish some type of system check happens on every interaction to check for dupes.

I mean there's already a system checking for item id's for dupes for new games or something isn't there? All they gotta do is add to it now. (Me saying as it's something that is easy to do lol)
you can't link items in personal chat.

i've also linked all kinds of stuff all the time.

Nothing has poofed from linking items.
So i call BS until there is widespread occurance.

What has disappeared was when i had a 100 crafted amulets and a filled inventory.

Offer if price not stated
Mines wrote: 2 years ago
If you like health,
String of Ears
is much better option. 8% Life Stolen Per Hit loved it on my hamerdian. Spiral hammer on large group of enemies you fully healed.
Queegon wrote: 1 year ago

I lost a
Ber

Tried the same with me yesterday with an 18-20-10 Anni.
As Shift click isn't cutting it they wait for the other end to CTRL click so they drop the item
This post was marked as the best answer.
OP
@deiphos Still at it, I see. I know I did not ctrl+click it though. Am well aware of this interaction or SoJ swapping. Must have been some poofing then?

Either way this person is really persistent because they did have a full stash of
Griffon's Eye
and other high ends. If people are ctrl+clicking them away, that's sad.

Skaijuice wrote: 1 year ago
you can't link items in personal chat.
This says otherwise, you might have missed it in the thread. You can't click them, but you can link them. :P

Can't link them in 1 to 1 Chat.
Only White chat [game..trade..]

How are you doing it?

Edit: Why is there is ' - ' in between the
Jah
& the Rune ?
Jah
-Rune ????

Offer if price not stated
Mines wrote: 2 years ago
If you like health,
String of Ears
is much better option. 8% Life Stolen Per Hit loved it on my hamerdian. Spiral hammer on large group of enemies you fully healed.

Schnorki 3206Moderator

PC
Seems that's a typical half-assed blizzard implementation as well (just tested a bit to figure it out..had me confused as well).

If you're whispering someone and are in that channel as you type, you can't link.

If however you switch to game chat and then whisper them from there via..

/w bnettag random message including item link

Then you can link into that and it works in private chat.

The - is a language version thing. Same reason you occasionally get some random Russian or Korean item name in chat or the like. You don't see your own localized version until you click it to view. Although that clicking also doesn't work from private chat so..yeah.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...