Horadric Cube
recipes to break down runes?

Poll ended at 1 year ago

Yes (48%)
No (52%)
Total votes: 61
Total votes: 61

Description

Do you think it would be good for the economy if you could cube runes down like how you can cube them up? For example, maybe there would be a
Horadric Cube
recipe where you could break a
Cham
rune down into 1 or 2
Jah
runes. Additional reagents may also be required for these recipes, like the high rune upgrading recipes that require a gem.

This could make popular runewords like Enigma or Last Wish more accessible to casual players, but it could cause elite players' fortunes of high runes like
Jah
and
Ber
to crash in value.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Do you think it would be good for the economy if you could cube runes down like how you can cube them up? For example, maybe there would be a
Horadric Cube
recipe where you could break a
Cham
rune down into 1 or 2
Jah
runes. Additional reagents may also be required for these recipes, like the high rune upgrading recipes that require a gem.

This could make popular runewords like Enigma or Last Wish more accessible to casual players, but it could cause elite players' fortunes of high runes like
Jah
and
Ber
to crash in value.

I don't know for runes, I think there would have to be a heavy cost for it to work, maybe 2
Cham
makes one
Jah
for example. Not that I've ever seen anything higher than an
Ohm
anyway!

Would love to see this implemented for gems though, constantly require chipped gems for rune recipes but never have any because they rarely drop in CS, where I spend most of my time.

PC | PSN | Switch | Europe | UTC + 0
All trades are PC, PSN or Switch!
All trades will be conducted with a cup of tea.
Offering a free cross platform trading service!

Schnorki 3187Moderator

PC
Since rune pricing is generally relative to other runes, this wouldn't cause a general crash in pricing of current top-end runes but rather it would cause a significant shift in the pricing of some of them, making them relatively much, MUCH more expensive.

If you could cube down 1:2 then a
Jah
would suddenly have a flat price of 2
Ber
minimum, meaning it gets even more expensive.
Ber
on the other hand won't get any cheaper because getting there from the other side is the same it always has been.
Sur
would move up slightly to a flat 2
Lo
+. And most significantly, it would become just about impossible to still get a
Cham
, let alone a
Zod
because a
Cham
would instantly move up to 2
Jah
+ and a
Zod
would move up to 4
Jah
. Basically, you're making Breath of the Dying suddenly be more expensive than Last Wish.

Cham
and
Zod
have their uses. And they have expanded slightly. And the current pricing on them makes sense for that. But if a
Cham
is equal to 2
Jah
and a
Zod
is equal to 4
Jah
then their own use as compared to the use of the
Jah
/
Ber
you could cube them down to becomes completely out of touch with their new pricing.

Paying an
Ohm
to get your merc some anti-freeze..works for me.
But paying 2
Jah
just to get your merc that same anti-freeze? That's...kinda stupid.

Bottom line:
It may make some of the current top-end stuff slightly more accessible but in doing so it'll most likely make other stuff damn near impossible to ever still get as there won't be any Chams or Zods left.
OP

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Since rune pricing is generally relative to other runes, this wouldn't cause a general crash in pricing of current top-end runes but rather it would cause a significant shift in the pricing of some of them, making them relatively much, MUCH more expensive.

If you could cube down 1:2 then a
Jah
would suddenly have a flat price of 2
Ber
minimum, meaning it gets even more expensive.
Ber
on the other hand won't get any cheaper because getting there from the other side is the same it always has been.
Sur
would move up slightly to a flat 2
Lo
+. And most significantly, it would become just about impossible to still get a
Cham
, let alone a
Zod
because a
Cham
would instantly move up to 2
Jah
+ and a
Zod
would move up to 4
Jah
. Basically, you're making Breath of the Dying suddenly be more expensive than Last Wish.

Cham
and
Zod
have their uses. And they have expanded slightly. And the current pricing on them makes sense for that. But if a
Cham
is equal to 2
Jah
and a
Zod
is equal to 4
Jah
then their own use as compared to the use of the
Jah
/
Ber
you could cube them down to becomes completely out of touch with their new pricing.

Paying an
Ohm
to get your merc some anti-freeze..works for me.
But paying 2
Jah
just to get your merc that same anti-freeze? That's...kinda stupid.

Bottom line:
It may make some of the current top-end stuff slightly more accessible but in doing so it'll most likely make other stuff damn near impossible to ever still get as there won't be any Chams or Zods left.
You have some very good points about a potential spike in
Zod
and
Cham
prices as a result of this change. My intention was to make the values of high runes relative to one another better match their drop rates, but not if that made some more inaccessible than current
Jah
. I would only want to see this done if current
Jah
and
Ber
were to drop in price enough to justify a lesser increase in
Zod
and
Cham

There seems to be a
Jah
shortage on non-ladder softcore right now, and some veteran players say that the same thing happened in post-endgame LOD back in the day. If you could get 1-2
Jah
from a
Cham
and 2-4
Jah
from a
Zod
, then the vast majority of
Zod
and
Cham
runes would be broken down.

Currently, the player who finds a
Zod
or
Cham
is the most mathematically lucky player, but the player who finds a
Jah
or
Ber
is more economically lucky. Some people even see a
Zod
or
Cham
drop as being "unlucky," because you could have rolled a
Jah
instead.

Zod
, and especially
Cham
, do indeed have their uses. They're both unbelievably rare on paper, but fortunately the low demand for their associated runewords makes them very accessible. Having to pay 1-2+
Jah
to socket some anti-freeze would be too expensive for all but the most elite players. People wouldn't even be able to afford it for their best character, let alone a hireling.

The poll has been up for around a half of a day at this point, and it looks like the community opinion is close to a 50:50 split right now. Players from all walks of life and all levels of progression surely use this site, so I'm not surprised that there isn't really a consensus on rune break formulas.

OP

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Lord-Jonty wrote: 1 year ago
I don't know for runes, I think there would have to be a heavy cost for it to work, maybe 2
Cham
makes one
Jah
Ohm
anyway!

Would love to see this implemented for gems though, constantly require chipped gems for rune recipes but never have any because they rarely drop in CS, where I spend most of my time.
This is a very good idea that people have wanted for a long time, but Blizz never implemented gem breakdown recipes yet for whatever reason. They would be far less consequential on the D2 economy than rune breakdowns, so there is a much weaker case against such a change.

An endgame character will be finding a lot of mid-runes that they would need chipped/flawed gems to cube up, but most of the gems that drop at that point will be flawless. It can be very hard to get the lower gems you need.

no for rune, but yes for gems.

Image...ladder also
if online, contact me via bn chat for fast trade or negotiations after placing reply here.
If u need help with SCNL "Socket" quest, ubers or waypoints, feel free to contact me. Will gladly help.
Yes. It is asinine that rune demotion wasn't implemented from the beginning. The biggest flaw in the game by far.

Necrarch 1607Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
There is a trend that seems to be that "the rarest drop should be the best one". But that's not a rule.
Jah
and Bers have more uses than
Zod
, and
Tyrael's Might
is not the most useful equipment in the game.

I actually tend to think it's rather well done that way. I played another game where there was a vote system to be Governor or Vice Governor, and if Governor arrivent first had a nice Power (could not be attacked!), vive governor held the economic Power, much better when at Peace (95% of time). And that caused a whole strategy to arrive 2nd, much more fun than targeting 1st spot.

Just to say that rare usually means expensive (and it'snot always the case@), but most rare is clearly not most expensive if not most useful.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Sean wrote: 1 year ago
Lord-Jonty wrote: 1 year ago
Cham
makes one
Jah
Ohm
anyway!

This is a very good idea that people have wanted for a long time, but Blizz never implemented gem breakdown recipes yet for whatever reason. They would be far less consequential on the D2 economy than rune breakdowns, so there is a much weaker case against such a change.

An endgame character will be finding a lot of mid-runes that they would need chipped/flawed gems to cube up, but most of the gems that drop at that point will be flawless. It can be very hard to get the lower gems you need.
I think chipped gems are the only ones that are kind of annoying to try to find late game when you are only in hell difficulty (though they still will drop occasionally). But those are almost never needed at that point because they don't really have any good uses and if you need a low level rune for a runeword it's faster to just farm for one off countess rather than upping lower runes for it. I find that flawed and normal gems still drop quite often in trav or cows or anywhere else, albeit slightly less often than flawless. I honestly never have to wait long to find the right flawed/normal gem if I need one for upping a rune.

But as you said, the argument against this is much weaker because it wouldn't alter the game or economy at all. Gems drop all the time and it's fairly easy to find the one you need in 1-2 hours of doing cow runs or whatever else. The rune question would vastly alter the economy.
No. Being able to split one rune into multiple lower ones is obviously out of question, as the lower ones would be exponentially more common.
Even downgrading into one lower rune would mean that I effectively own every other lower (but only one), with
Zod
being a "wildcard" rune. Runeword making would be much more bland (especially for SSF), if we just needed to find a few high runes and downgrade them to fit the runeword.
Maybe downgrading several steps at a time (for example 3:
Zod
->
Ber
Cham
->
Sur
and so on) or requiring additional ingredients (such as gems (not necessarily perfect), jewels or
Standard of Heroes
) would be OK.
I agree that it would flood the market with low runes. If I break down an
Ohm
rune in trade, the
Ohm
rune is still usable by the person and I get my
Vex
Ist
Ist
or whatever; using up some easier to find runes from the market. But if I just break down that
Ohm
to get 2
Vex
(or 1
Vex
however it would work) the only thing gained is I have a worse rune than I started with. Sure it may be useful for single player, as someone pointed out earlier, but online it is only a negative. And this is without realizing the price jump for the more rare runes. Big thumbs down. But I am enjoying how split this is!

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4
Absolutely not

ALL MY TRADES ARE NON-LADDER

"ARGHHHHHHH, FRESH MEAT"
Bump to get new eyes (and hopefully votes)

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches
diablo2.io is supported by ads

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation