Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
29 replies   1438 views

Description

Hi guys,
Some time ago (when rune budget wasn't so tight) I've decided to build HoJ / dual Dragon
Holy Fire
paladin as described at Maxroll - the only big difference is
Gore Rider
instead of tri-res
Boots
and worst double leech ring.

Although he's really an overkill on /p1 difficulty (totally good enough for me), I've noticed I receive a relatively a big chunk of damage and can't replace it with life leech, because enemies are dying before I can get to them - they still can hit me and I'm chugging potions.

I was hoping I can tranform him into "AFK/low focus character", which will be more self-sufficient - even at cost of lower killing speed. My first thought is to replace A5 dual Crescent Moon merc for A2 with healing aura, but later I thought, that solutions which work with
Nova
sorc won't be as useful in this case.

Do you have some ideas, how to increase his passive healing abilities, aside from switching auras? I will be grateful for every hint, thank you!

Can be used to make Runewords:

Byczq 19

Europe PC
Hi guys,
Some time ago (when rune budget wasn't so tight) I've decided to build HoJ / dual Dragon
Holy Fire
paladin as described at Maxroll - the only big difference is
Gore Rider
instead of tri-res
Boots
and worst double leech ring.

Although he's really an overkill on /p1 difficulty (totally good enough for me), I've noticed I receive a relatively a big chunk of damage and can't replace it with life leech, because enemies are dying before I can get to them - they still can hit me and I'm chugging potions.

I was hoping I can tranform him into "AFK/low focus character", which will be more self-sufficient - even at cost of lower killing speed. My first thought is to replace A5 dual Crescent Moon merc for A2 with healing aura, but later I thought, that solutions which work with
Nova
sorc won't be as useful in this case.

Do you have some ideas, how to increase his passive healing abilities, aside from switching auras? I will be grateful for every hint, thank you!

🌟 All items available for trade in Non-Ladder PC game 🌟
πŸ’΅ If listed offer doesn't have precise asking price, I'm seeking runes (
Pul
+), gems πŸ’Ž, essencesπŸ§‚ and keys πŸ—οΈ
πŸ”₯Feel free to contact me or leave comment for details - wish you all great day, heroes πŸ”₯

marl71 116

Americas PC
I have the exact same issue with this build. My solution is what you mentioned, to run damage reduction like
Crown of Ages
& verdungos, and run a
Prayer
/Cure/Insight merc. It's enough damage reduction and passive healing to make potion use rare, in my experience

A common solution worth trying is to run dracs for the life leech and
Life Tap
. I never liked this because 1) the life leech part still isn't good, 2) no ias on gloves makes it hard to hit the
Zeal
breakpoint, and 3)
Life Tap
doesn't proc enough for me
Maybe replace
Dragon Shield
with Phoenix? U will lose some lvls in
Holy Fire
aura but u gain neg fire resist and
Redemption
, since u r playing on p1, it might just work out?

Can trade on PC or SWITCH

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
1 pt in
Redemption
, switch to that for a quick full regen every so often, done.

Pipp 22

Amazon Americas PC
On mine I use
The Redeemer
on my switch so when need health or mana almost instant full almost never use pots.this works for me
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
1 pt in
Redemption
Call To Arms
War Scepter
with
Vigor
/
Meditation
/
Redemption
is the best way to deal with this while getting speed and mana regen, if needed on top. Bases are hard to come by and expensive but worth it.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
Queegon wrote: 1 month ago
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
1 pt in
Redemption
Call To Arms
War Scepter
with
Vigor
/
Meditation
/
Redemption
is the best way to deal with this while getting speed and mana regen, if needed on top. Bases are hard to come by and expensive but worth it.
Ohh snap I hadn't thought about getting a CTA with
Vigor
to run around quicker since I switch to
Vigor
all the time. Also would save me a couple points to put somewhere else. Thanks, will start looking for one.

azeroti#1149
PC/PS/Switch
Selling ber/Jah, click for wish list.
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
run on PS, accepting tips. Details
I just made a Dragondin and had the same problem... compared to a Zealot he's quite squishy. Only 2k defense before buffs, even a rogue merc has higher defense rating, haha.

Act 2
Defiance
Merc with Doom weapon helped a lot!

Along with CTA, Draculs Grasp, 23% lifeleech and some points into
Sacrifice
/
Zeal
he is very stable. Need a dual leech ring now, for getting rid of mana problems.

ElSolDolLol

For low items I also accept: Perfect Amys,
Ral
Hel
, Tokens, Keys. Please don't offer runes lower than
Pul
(with the named exceptions).

NO PM OFFERS PLEASE! BE FAIR AND WRITE INTO THE THREAD :)
azeroti wrote: 1 month ago
Ohh snap I hadn't thought about getting a CTA with
Vigor
to run around quicker since I switch to
Vigor
all the time. Also would save me a couple points to put somewhere else. Thanks, will start looking for one.
You and many more people it seems, as noone seems to have these for sale, like ever. It's all flails and crystals while the true CtA gems for literally any paladin are these, for auradins especially.
I had to roll both of mine. And all the previous with lower staffmods, too. Pretty happy with 5/6 +3
Vigor
/+1
Redemption
and 6/6 with +2
Meditation
/+2
Vigor

@DasNarf 13,5k+ defense with
Holy Shield
. I don't see a problem with defense. Sadly leech is worthless on dragondin. Your physical damage output is a couple hundred while the majority is in fire at range and even more fire in melee. Nothing to leech from. Tried MAEK but it doesn't work with aura pulses, only with actual sword swings.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
as mentioned by one of the previous folks,
Crown of Ages
is one of the best options in your case. You will literally receive less damage. Depending on your status socket it with 2 Bers or 2 fire-facets

It may also be related to your playstyle. If you act as a zealer while not being one (i.e. instantly jumping into packs of fire res/fana mobs) than you might want to rethink your approach. When you play dragondin things should just melt down nearby, with almost no effort.

If you wait for one/two ticks of your aura damage then your char would normally be fine fighting the remaining mobs, given the suggested damage reduction.

p.s. as a suggestion, try moving and hitting mobs with
Charge
and using Insight on the merc. No
Zeal
or tele, just
Charge
. You would like it... At least I did :)
OP

Byczq 19

Europe PC
@trentor @Queegon @DasNarf @azeroti @Schnorki @Pipp @marl71 @d2rppa69

Hey guys,

Sorry for bumping a thread from three weeks ago, but I only recently had the time to go through your suggestions (read them all with great interest) and started gathering some of the gear.

I wanted to revisit the topic and get your opinion on an idea I came across on Reddit or d2jsp. Considering that I mainly play on P1, where just the aura alone clears the map pretty effectively, how about reducing the points invested in
Zeal
and
Sacrifice
and instead putting them into
Holy Shield
to increase total defense and reduce the dexterity required for max block? I'm guessing that the damage from the aura itself would stay the same, but the damage from Hand of Justice (which I mainly use against bosses only, because aura kills smaller mobs faster) would drop. I'd go with a merc using
Prayer
aura +
Eth
Insight, Cure helmet, and Chains of Honor (or Fortitude - not sure here).

Do you guys think this makes sense and it is worth testing? I'd really appreciate your feedback before I waste two Tokens for nothing :D

Thank you all in advance!

Pul
πŸ”₯Feel free to contact me or leave comment for details - wish you all great day, heroes πŸ”₯
@Byczq

My first try was maximizing damage at the cost of
Holy Shield

This was a terrible idea!

So I respecced to max
Holy Shield
, 1 pt to
Zeal
and all the remaining points went into
Sacrifice
. Works much better now.

I would not recommend to use Insight on this build, because mana cost shouldn't be an issue. Put a point into
Redemption
or use a
Redemption
-
Scepter
(the right base can be made into a CTA!) on swap for refilling between fights.

As you are planning to kill with your aura pulses, there's not much damage to be expected. Just run circles around your enemies and you should be fine most of the time.

For the merc, I would give
Defiance
+Doom a shot. Or go with an Act 5 merc, these guys are formidable tanks. Plague/Lawbringer for high
Cleansing
Lower Resist
and
Decrepify
, Fortitude armor and some LL/DR
Helm
of choice (Gaze, Bulwark,
Crown of Thieves
, Arreats...).

I am using a lightning Iron Wolf with 2x Dream, Fortitude and Plague, because my paladin is quite tanky (23% life leech). This option would maximize your aura damage and
Static Field
is very useful for softening immunes and boss monsters.

ElSolDolLol

Ral
Hel
Pul

OP

Byczq 19

Europe PC
DasNarf wrote: 2 weeks ago
I would not recommend to use Insight on this build, because mana cost shouldn't be an issue. Put a point into
Redemption
or use a
Redemption
-
Scepter
(the right base can be made into a CTA!) on swap for refilling between fights.

For the merc, I would give
Defiance
+Doom a shot. Or go with an Act 5 merc, these guys are formidable tanks. Plague/Lawbringer for high
Cleansing
Lower Resist
and
Decrepify
, Fortitude armor and some LL/DR
Helm
of choice (Gaze, Bulwark,
Crown of Thieves
, Arreats...).

I am using a lightning Iron Wolf with 2x Dream, Fortitude and Plague, because my paladin is quite tanky (23% life leech). This option would maximize your aura damage and
Static Field
is very useful for softening immunes and boss monsters.
I think it's valid point - as far as I remember, that could be Tesladin/Dreamdin, not Dragondin. BTW: is
Prayer
/Insight/Cure combo soild option for Tesladin with Enigma?

Right now I'm using double
Phase Blade
Crescent Moon + Andy + Forti on A5
Frenzy
merc - I'm very tempted to try Lawbringer/Plague combo

Thank you for your help!

Pul

marl71 116

Americas PC
@Byczq

Holy Shield
has (pretty quick) diminishing returns, so check the skill levels for the sweet spot. I agree you don't need full
Zeal
investment--the physical damage you do is at most about 10% of your total
Zeal
damage

I checked on maxroll and with a standard build, and this
Holy Shield
change buys you 17 dex (although check with your own build). That's like 85 life after BO, so maybe not worth a token on its own

Prayer
merc with Cure and Insight to synergize
Prayer
is a good approach if you hate using potions. You need CoH life leech for the merc to stay alive. But there are a lot of fun merc choices

If you are open to major changes, I've mentioned a few times here (not in a while I think) that my favorite dragondin build is hybrid with foh. Macrobioboi has a video. I run mine differently from his with a 2/20
Circlet
and
Phase Blade
hoj--send me a message if you want to discuss
IMO, you would not get any significant benefit doing this change.

Basically, you
Sacrifice
dmg in the favour of some extra life. Not saying you should not try it - if your gut feeling is suggesting that than why not? but if you only do P1 runs not sure that life increase/phys dmg loss would be noticeable.

if you are open to more significant changes to the build, consider shifting towards
Charge
instead of
Zeal
+ Insight merc (forti/andy or any other decent
Cap
. your merc would be merely an aura keeper to enable infinite
Charge
so it is not that important)
My 2 cents:
My build is a pure fire Dragon paladin. He deals ~450 physical damage in a total of ~9k, so 5%. After
Conviction
you are looking at 2,5%.
With 20 points in
Sacrifice
, I'd bump it to a whopping ~800.

Therefore leech is worthless and I'd rather put 20 points into
Resist Lightning
for the +10% max. The build needs lvl 79 without skillers to be completely maxed before that.

And as I said many times before in similar topics, my mercenary is Scorch for lvl 47 (lvl 49 would be max at lvl 97)
Enchant
because why not. No mercenary makes you noticably better and all but act5
Frenzy
barb lag behind you. One
Enchant
and merc can be wherever. Plus the attack rating adds ~5% better hit chance against bosses as the defense after
Conviction
is still fairly high while my AR is terrible.

It's very simple, basically.

Don't get hit --> no need for leech. So high defense and maxblock helps a lot.

But you WILL get hit from time to time. There are attacks you can't block or avoid otherwise. So any form of healing isn't all but worthless.

Options are: Priest Merc, Leech, LaeK,
Redemption
, high regeneration (20+), Pots. Combine two of them and you should be fine. Remember that Laek/Maek doesn't work on aura damage, you must kill with your weapon!

I recommend using Draculs on a Dragondin. But it's a bit of a gamble sometimes, so additional leech doesn't hurt. 500 Damage and 20% leech leads to ~50 Life recovered per hit. This doesn't make you invincible like a zealer would be, but it helps surviving the timespan until
Life Tap
procs.

ElSolDolLol

Ral
Hel
Pul

I am pretty sure
Life Tap
only works when u deal physical damage, so if your dragondin deals mainly fire or elemental damage? Your life leech from lifetap is still very low.

My dragondin have no issue surviving hell. Hasnt died yet and he has been doing lvl94 t-zones. He does
Baal
runs often as well. Just have to play carefully, let ur aura do 90% of the killing, and u melee the remaining. It takes 1-3 ticks to kill any type of normal/champion mobs in 1-3 ticks anyway. I wouldnt rush n play like a zealot.

Also , rejuvs are plentiful :) but yeah, cta in
Scepter
with
Redemption
helps alot

d2rppa69 wrote: 1 week ago
I am pretty sure
Life Tap
only works when u deal physical damage, so if your dragondin deals mainly fire or elemental damage? Your life leech from lifetap is still very low.
It is not.

You gain 50% leech (plus your normal leech added) and you ignore all drain or leech penalties your enemy normally has.

In numbers: Even if you do only 500 damage per hit, this is 5x (250+X) Life per attack at best. This is a lot.

ElSolDolLol

Ral
Hel
Pul

DasNarf wrote: 1 week ago
d2rppa69 wrote: 1 week ago
I am pretty sure
Life Tap
It is not.

You gain 50% leech (plus your normal leech added) and you ignore all drain or leech penalties your enemy normally has.

In numbers: Even if you do only 500 damage per hit, this is 5x (250+X) Life per attack at best. This is a lot.
Fred mentioned here that it does effect only physical damage? 50% to return as life on physical damage?

skills/life-tap-t4107.html

Unless this is proven wrong and it has been tested?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...