diablo2.io is supported by ads
28 replies   4066 views

Description

I was thinking about starting a wolf - I understand that
The Reaper's Toll
is a good weapon. I also read people saying that Death with Faith merc for
Fanaticism
and atmas is good.

I personally wanted to try Last Wish - don't have the runes yet but would give me something to save up for.

I saw people saying that you should build it in a
Phase Blade
due to repair costs and attack speed for cb. - the latter doesn't seem to be so crucial with
Fanaticism
as you only need little IAS on top even with a
Glorious Axe

Which brings me to my question I guess (assuming 28 wolf and 15 fana for the numbers below):
does it at all make sense to use a two-handed weapon like a
Glorious Axe
or
Thunder Maul
? You lose your shield slot - I understand the wolf cannot block but you could use Phoenix or some other defensive option.
If you would go for a two-hander it looks like
Thunder Maul
is too slow - not sure how to reach 35 IAS for 7 FPA -
Glorious Axe
you would only need 20 which disciples gloves will do.
I think 6 FPA are impossible for either - correct?
(Giant)
Thresher
would be an alternative - but both would also need 37 IAS for 6 FPA.

So basically, is Last Wish stupid in general and if not does it make sense to build it in a two-handed weapon? Also let me know if I misunderstand mechanics entirely wrong)
Description by xigua

Can be used to make Runewords:

xigua 63

I was thinking about starting a wolf - I understand that
The Reaper's Toll
is a good weapon. I also read people saying that Death with Faith merc for
Fanaticism
and atmas is good.

I personally wanted to try Last Wish - don't have the runes yet but would give me something to save up for.

I saw people saying that you should build it in a
Phase Blade
due to repair costs and attack speed for cb. - the latter doesn't seem to be so crucial with
Fanaticism
as you only need little IAS on top even with a
Glorious Axe

Which brings me to my question I guess (assuming 28 wolf and 15 fana for the numbers below):
does it at all make sense to use a two-handed weapon like a
Glorious Axe
or
Thunder Maul
? You lose your shield slot - I understand the wolf cannot block but you could use Phoenix or some other defensive option.
If you would go for a two-hander it looks like
Thunder Maul
is too slow - not sure how to reach 35 IAS for 7 FPA -
Glorious Axe
you would only need 20 which disciples gloves will do.
I think 6 FPA are impossible for either - correct?
(Giant)
Thresher
would be an alternative - but both would also need 37 IAS for 6 FPA.

So basically, is Last Wish stupid in general and if not does it make sense to build it in a two-handed weapon? Also let me know if I misunderstand mechanics entirely wrong)
eDeath
Decapitator
and Hustle on switch to get
Burst of Speed

* I trade both ladder and non-ladder, please check before asking.
* All my trades are for runes, keys (especially KoT and KoH) and essences!
OP

xigua 63

any notable difference between
Glorious Axe
and
Decapitator
? Other than it is probably harder to come by because 5 vs 6 sockets

uuee 18

Europe PC
xigua wrote: 4 months ago
any notable difference between
Glorious Axe
and
Decapitator
? Other than it is probably harder to come by because 5 vs 6 sockets
Not really, same speed bases.
Glorious Axe
has 1 more rangeadder while having around 1% less avg damage.
OP

xigua 63

and you would prefer eDeath to Last Wish due to etherealness?

eDeath:
+avg 340% dmg resulting in 139.5 * 340% = 474 avg dmg which is used to apply skill boni as I understand - so you go from 474 to (lvl 34 Fury) + 661% + 215 from
Feral Rage
+ 200% from str + 300% forti + 288% from fana = 7868 avg dmg + 50% ds = 11800 per hit

LW:
+avg 352% dmg resulting in 92 * 352.5% = 323 avg dmg + 661% + 215 from
Feral Rage
+ 200% from str + 300% forti + 288% from fana + 180% from might = 5943 avg dmg per hit

Following this line of thoughts - wouldn't Grief be almost always be the best weapon?

Putting this in my 92 avg dmg
Glorious Axe
would result in a base dmg of 467 (avg dmg) - so very close to eDeath - using a BA instead would be 422 allowing for Phoenix with +375% - so we would be at 7752 dmg (
Glorious Axe
) or 8587 (BA with Phoenix) - so I guess eDeath still better because of deadly strike - and all seem to be higher in damage than Last Wish.

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
and you would prefer eDeath to Last Wish due to etherealness?

eDeath:
+avg 340% dmg resulting in 139.5 * 340% = 474 avg dmg which is used to apply skill boni as I understand - so you go from 474 to (lvl 34 Fury) + 661% + 215 from
Feral Rage
+ 200% from str + 300% forti + 288% from fana = 7868 avg dmg + 50% ds = 11800 per hit

LW:
+avg 352% dmg resulting in 92 * 352.5% = 323 avg dmg + 661% + 215 from
Feral Rage
+ 200% from str + 300% forti + 288% from fana + 180% from might = 5943 avg dmg per hit

Following this line of thoughts - wouldn't Grief be almost always be the best weapon?

Putting this in my 92 avg dmg
Glorious Axe
would result in a base dmg of 467 (avg dmg) - so very close to eDeath - using a BA instead would be 422 allowing for Phoenix with +375% - so we would be at 7752 dmg (
Glorious Axe
) or 8587 (BA with Phoenix) - so I guess eDeath still better because of deadly strike - and all seem to be higher in damage than Last Wish.
When looking at dmg calculations, the base weapon damage gets multiplied with the ethereal factor (1.5), then with the on-weapon ED and that then gets multiplied with the sum of your off-weapon ED (including that from skills, stats and so on).
Do note that each multiplication step includes an added +100% because you're keeping the inherent base values. That seems to be where your math is off, primarily.

So assuming a
Glorious Axe
, you're looking at
LW: 60-124 dmg non-ethereal => 92 avg. * (100% + 352.5% avg ED) = 416 avg.
eDeath: 90-186 dmg ethereal => 138 avg. * (100% + 342.5% avg ED) = 610 avg.

Beyond that, looking at your list, you're adding (just using your numbers, correcting the aura values though):
- 661% from Fury
- 215% from
Feral Rage

- 200% from Strength
- 300% from Fortitude
- 144% from Fana (I assume you got your 288 off a lvl 15 Faith? 288 is the bonus to your merc wielding it, fana party bonus is lower)
= Total 1520% from skills/stats/gear applicable to both
For LW, you're adding another 200% from the lvl 17 Might, giving you a total 1720% there.

So LW = 416 avg. * (100% + 1720%) = 7571 avg.
eDeath = 610 avg. * (100% + 1520%) = 9882 avg.

That's really only half the picture though as eDeath also offers massive deadly strike while LW offers higher crushing and ITD, among other minor things.

Grief by contrast (still assuming a
Glorious Axe
) would give you a starting average of 92 + 370 = 462 which then gets the same boni an eDeath would:
462 avg. * (100% + 1520%) = 7484 avg. -> worse base avg than either LW or eDeath.

Though Grief of course does give you the freedom to move to other weapons as the base weapon dmg hardly matters anymore. A BA starts you off at 417 avg., then adding 1520% + 375% avg. from Phoenix = 1895% and you get a total
417 avg. * (100% + 1895%) = 8319 avg. which is still below eDeath. Though you do get to use a shield. And you do get extra dmg to demons, ITD and some DS from Grief while sacrificing all weapon CB at the same time.

Typically, the main advantage of Grief though is the fact that you can use a
Phase Blade
and hence get your IAS capped without resorting to a fana merc.
Said phase starts you at an avg. 403 dmg. Dropping fana (144%) for a might merc (say lvl 90 = lvl 18 might aura I believe it was = 210%, then give him a Pride = avg 315% and you get a total 2276% ED, giving you
403 avg. * (100% + 2276%) = 9575 avg, getting you quite close to eDeath base while then just weighting the other factors (ITD, having a shield, ... vs. CB)

Or, probably far superior in this case, you don't use Pride and instead give your merc a reaper. That takes you down to:
403 avg. * (100% + 1961%) = 8305 avg. base = 12457 avg. with decrep procced (which happens a lot with a reaper's merc)

My gut feeling would be that Grief + reaper merc would be the ideal, not only for all of the inherent defensive benefit it adds but also for what is bound to be far higher average damage output.
Mind you, that's coming from someone who despises
Atma
's as a neck choice for any build (let's be honest, the proc chance is just pathetic..as is the radius if it ever does happen) and who doesn't really play shapeshifters beyond the occasional random experimentation. :P And it is assuming that you can
Cap
your attack speed with a phase without using a fana merc.

Though looking at maxroll, I guess there may be an artifically limiting IAS factor to consider? Assuming for a second their calc ever got updated/is accurate (which I'm too lazy to check atm):
Max attack speed with a phase = 5/3/6 = 20 frames
BA = 5/3/6 = 20 frames
Glorious = 4/3/5 = 18 frames
Decapitator
= 4/3/5 = 18 frames
That's the same with or without fana.

So looking at that, as long as you're able to
Cap
your IAS (which seems easy enough based also on their numbers), 2-handers effectively get a bonus 11% total damage by comparison, simply because they can attack 2 frames faster than 1-handers ever could.

Though even with that, my gut feeling would stay the same (Grief PB + reaper merc). Also because (since I was looking at MR anyways) you apparently need less IAS to
Cap
Grief without fana than you do to
Cap
a
Glorious Axe
with fana, not even counting the IAS on Grief itself, which further opens up your overall gear choices, letting you optimize damage output by other means as well.
Alternatively (if you kill too fast for a merc to keep up anyways), eDeath it is.

(Math spelled out to allow for easy double-checking..this was done pre-coffee so errors are possible :P - rounding [trunc] added in each step)
with decrep procced (which happens a lot with a reaper's merc)

Nope

Alternatively (if you kill too fast for a merc to keep up anyways).

Yep

You will be outrunning your merc constantly (especially with
Feral Rage
active), so unless you play on higher difficulties, you will be killing much faster than your merc can get into action himself. Long-range auras on merc are the way to go.

Druid has different top framerates for different weapon types. Fastest (can reach 18fpa) are two-handed polearms, not spears, two-handed axes, two-handed hammers, and staves.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP

xigua 63

awesome and thanks for the write-up @Schnorki !

I used https://warren1001.github.io/IAS_Calculator/ and it seems that caping IAS without fana using either Death or LW is a challenge - even using Meta Bear and fana - you still need 22 IAS from gear to reach 4/3/5 - or I am using it wrong ;-)

How do you manage a decent amount of res on a Fury druid? without
Fade
from LW and using Fortitude I could imagine this becomes a challenge - especially if you decide to use meta - or do you fully rely on health pool?

Schnorki 3214Moderator

PC
Queegon wrote: 4 months ago
with decrep procced (which happens a lot with a reaper's merc)

Nope

You will be outrunning your merc constantly (especially with
Feral Rage
active)
Figured that may be the case. Hence the disclaimer and including Pride in the write-up.
Same reason I'd never use reaper's on my bowzon then, much as I'd like to in theory. Merc just can't keep up. :(
How do you manage a decent amount of res on a Fury druid?
20+20 from torch+anni
30-45 from
Jalal's Mane

30 from Fortitude
50fr from
Laying of Hands

35lr from
Highlord's Wrath

Whatever you can fit on non-
Raven Frost
ring
Whatever else is left for small charms. Personally I needed a couple poison res charms after all this. Using Metamorphosis for pre-buff only here.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
OP

xigua 63

Is this train of thought okay? Thanks for your help!!
dmg potential: 403 * (100%+661%+200% (str)+215%
Feral Rage
- does not apply
+300+375 Phoenix+280 conc) ~ 7721 per hit on average - 5+(3)+6
+ cheapest
+ robust
+ most balanced
- a little boring
  • eDead 2h + Fana + Fort + Drac + Meta + Highlords
dmg potential: 610 * (100%+661%+200% (str)+215%
Feral Rage
- does not apply
+300+144) ~ 8750 per hit on average - will only hit 4+(3)+6 as it needs 26 IAS and only has 10 - alternatively can use IAS gloves for Drac , + DS and CB

+ highest damage
- squishy (?)
- doesn't hit highest FPA (if dracs)
  • LW 2h + Fana + Fort + Disc + Meta + Highlords
dmg potential: 416 * (100%+661%+200% (str)+215%
Feral Rage
- does not apply
+300+144+200 might) ~ 6676 per hit on average - 18 FPS Fury + CB

+ durable
- expensive
- lowest damage
is a
Ribcracker
still a viable option?

OP

xigua 63

ethereal upped it sports 588 avg damage - 50 IAS is enough with
Fanaticism
to not need the bear-buff for max fps - only gloves.

Unfortunately at the high end of ed it is similarly expensive as LW - damage wise between LW and eDead
Crispin wrote: 4 months ago
is a
Ribcracker
still a viable option?
Viable? Yes.
Are there better options now? Absolutely.

Without mark of the bear:
pure DPS standpoint (all Ethereal):
The Reaper's Toll
no
Decrepify
<
Ribcracker
<
Tomb Reaver
(ED/IAS inside) < BotD
Thunder Maul
~= Death
Decapitator
/
Glorious Axe
< BotD
Archon Staff
<
The Reaper's Toll
with decrep

With Mark:
DPS + target standpoint:
The Reaper's Toll
no decrep <
Ribcracker
<
Tomb Reaver
< BotD
Archon Staff
< Reaper with Decrep (against <25% phys res) < BotD
Thunder Maul
~= Death
Decapitator
< Reaper with Decrep (against >25% phys res) < BotD
Thunder Maul
against no phys res < Death against bosses

OP

xigua 63

Is Last Wish that bad or why don't you even list it ? :D

I found a 15 ed non-
Eth
Glorious Axe
and want to do something with - don't judge.
I tried out
Eth
'd Reaper's Toll and
Eth
Decapitator
and I prefer the former, because while it does less damage overall, with
Bone Break
physical immunities become just any other enemy. Not relying on my merc for
Decrepify
is a great QoL feature.
Is Last Wish that bad or why don't you even list it ? :D

I found a 15 ed non-
Eth
Glorious Axe
and want to do something with - don't judge.
Here, just for you. :)

Last Wish any base + Phoenix <<<
The Reaper's Toll
with no decrep. We are talking about 1/4 to 1/3 of other weapon's total effectiveness.
For completion: Grief PB + Phoenix >
The Reaper's Toll
with no decrep.

Don't bother yourself with non-eth weapons. It sucks but it's not worth sweating over.

OP

xigua 63

:*(
my only 15% ed elite base I ever found pretty much worthless...
OP

xigua 63

How about LW in a 2-hand base?

Eth
Reaper will do 376 avg dmg (229 that have) vs. LW 416.
Decrep - the problem I see with reaper is that it overwrites life-tap.

uuee 18

Europe PC
How about LW in a 2-hand base?

Eth
Reaper will do 376 avg dmg (229 that have) vs. LW 416.
Decrep - the problem I see with reaper is that it overwrites life-tap.
It is the other way around. The problem with lw is that life-tap overwrites decrep:)

Outside of UT there is really no need for tap anywhere, while decrep is a huge dmg boost and a great QoL addition (basically you can just hold right click and kill everything).

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...