Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   6429 views

Description

I have a A2 merc with Obedience in ethereal
Cryptic Axe
. Pretty happy with his tank capabilities. Pure damage, FHR, Crushing blow. Dont care much about the rest.
His damage is about 3k - 13k on the field with
Concentration
I was wondering to make a test with BotD. Could BotD be better for pure damage?
Anyone has experience on this?

Thanks for your opinions.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Cryptic Axe
. Pretty happy with his tank capabilities. Pure damage, FHR, Crushing blow. Dont care much about the rest.
Concentration

If you would like to make an offer, please add me in bnet and comment in thread with the offer. Thank you.

I am currently not accepting Tokens. Thank you!
The life stolen per hit is a big selling point for me when it comes to Obedience vs. Breath of the Dying. It enables you to get Cure on your mercenary while Obedience forces you to get LL from some other item, preferable
Andariel's Visage
. Cure provides reduced curse duration which is, imo, a high comfort benefit. 60% IAS is also big on merc as it enables you to reach certain breakpoints, depending on base of course.

I would nearly always take BotD over Obedience as survivability is more important than damage on merc imo. BotD provides better survivability due to LL and IAS. CB on Obedience doesn't leech. In terms of raw damage, they are quiet comparable i suggest, tho

Post ur offer before adding me. No PM. Only add me if u offer bin/lf. No reply after 3 days=offer rejected
No socketing service.

uuee 18

Europe PC
Eth
reaper's toll>

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Ebotd is certainly an excellent weapon, but is in a weird spot for a merc.

Tons of added stats do not impact a lot a merc and usually you want your a2 merc's weapon to provide something you cannot get otherwise:
-
Conviction
for Infi
- Méditation for Insight
- Crushing Blow for Obedience
-
Decrepify
for Reaper
-
Concentration
for Pride
Etc.

Still it's a good overall runeword (love it on an a1 merc as for myself, tons of leech, ias...), but seems very expensive for a not-that big difference compared to a good old Insight.

Remember that Survivability is cool, but if the merc does nothing you can also leave him at home :)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Accepting your premise (that you only care about "pure damage") I think the short answer is "yes BotD is probably better".

For the longer answer I think @blubbalutsch has a very good point about the life-leach on BotD, and that it will affect helmet options.
To make a fair comparison we're therefore probably better off looking at a combination of weapon +
Helm
for both options.

Andariel's Visage
with a 15 IAS / 30 Fire res jewel should be a fair pick for "best option" to combine with Obedience however, if you truly only want "pure damage" then Cure probably isn't the right option to combine with BotD. Instead I'd suggest running the comparison using a G-Face socketed with an
Um
-rune.

Ignoring the irrelevant (or near-irrelevant) stats that should give:
Stat BotD option Obedience option Result
Enhanced damage on weapon 375 (average) 370 Very slight advantage to BotD, but essentially equal
IAS 60 35 Huge win to BotD. Given how equal everything else is this one alone seems to win it for BotD
Crushing Blow 35 40 Very slight advantage to Obedience, but essentially equal
Deadly Strike 15 0 Another win for BotD. Somewhat substansive
Strength 45 37,5 (average) Very slight advantage to BotD, but essentially equal
life-leach 13,5 (average) 9 (average) Slight advantage to BotD, but quite close. Also not really affecting damage.
Faster hit recovery 30 40 Generally this is actually equal, resulting in the same breakpoint being reached. With some armors there is a chance for a very slight advantage to Obedience
Resists 15 all res 27,5 all res (average) Total resist will depend on the lvl of the mercenary. For High lvl's then 15 all res will get you to max, and the extra from Obedience is just wasted because of the
Cap
. For lower lvl's Obedience has an advantage, but quite small (unless we're talking REALLY low lvl).
Other stuff 30 dex, 30 vit +200% damage to undead and prevent monster heal 10 dex, lvl 21
Enchant
, 200-300 defense, +2 all skills and +10 max poison resist
These things are kinda hard to compare, but probably not enough to swing it either way

Offcourse we haven't looked at armor, but that shouldn't change things much. Unlike helmets (where one needs life-leach and the other doesn't) both combinations can more or less use all the same armors just as good as each other. There are only some niche instances that seem to get affected.
If the armor has all resist (like
Duriel's Shell
or Fortitude) then the socket in the
Helm
is freed up. It's freed up for both options however, since Obedience is allready getting 15 IAS from that socket it's not benefitting that much from having the socket freed up. If you instead put a 40/15 jewel in the
Helm
, or a
Cham
-rune that will work better for BotD option.
If you use Guardians Angel that will be better for Obedience. The all res that was previously just over-capping from Obedience can now be put use, and you can socket the armor with whatever you like. The BotD option will need to socket the armor with another
Um
-Rune.
-So minor advantages to either side, depending on what armor you pick, but shouldn't be enough to change the result much (but the typical "damage-option" aka Fortitude does favor BotD).
OP
Goggen wrote: 9 months ago
Accepting your premise (that you only care about "pure damage") I think the short answer is "yes BotD is probably better".

For the longer answer I think @blubbalutsch has a very good point about the life-leach on BotD, and that it will affect helmet options.
To make a fair comparison we're therefore probably better off looking at a combination of weapon +
Helm
for both options.

Andariel's Visage
with a 15 IAS / 30 Fire res jewel should be a fair pick for "best option" to combine with Obedience however, if you truly only want "pure damage" then Cure probably isn't the right option to combine with BotD. Instead I'd suggest running the comparison using a G-Face socketed with an
Um
-rune.

Ignoring the irrelevant (or near-irrelevant) stats that should give:
Stat BotD option Obedience option Result
Enhanced damage on weapon 375 (average) 370 Very slight advantage to BotD, but essentially equal
IAS 60 35 Huge win to BotD. Given how equal everything else is this one alone seems to win it for BotD
Crushing Blow 35 40 Very slight advantage to Obedience, but essentially equal
Deadly Strike 15 0 Another win for BotD. Somewhat substansive
Strength 45 37,5 (average) Very slight advantage to BotD, but essentially equal
life-leach 13,5 (average) 9 (average) Slight advantage to BotD, but quite close. Also not really affecting damage.
Faster hit recovery 30 40 Generally this is actually equal, resulting in the same breakpoint being reached. With some armors there is a chance for a very slight advantage to Obedience
Resists 15 all res 27,5 all res (average) Total resist will depend on the lvl of the mercenary. For High lvl's then 15 all res will get you to max, and the extra from Obedience is just wasted because of the
Cap
. For lower lvl's Obedience has an advantage, but quite small (unless we're talking REALLY low lvl).
Other stuff 30 dex, 30 vit +200% damage to undead and prevent monster heal 10 dex, lvl 21
Enchant
, 200-300 defense, +2 all skills and +10 max poison resist
These things are kinda hard to compare, but probably not enough to swing it either way

Offcourse we haven't looked at armor, but that shouldn't change things much. Unlike helmets (where one needs life-leach and the other doesn't) both combinations can more or less use all the same armors just as good as each other. There are only some niche instances that seem to get affected.
If the armor has all resist (like
Duriel's Shell
or Fortitude) then the socket in the
Helm
is freed up. It's freed up for both options however, since Obedience is allready getting 15 IAS from that socket it's not benefitting that much from having the socket freed up. If you instead put a 40/15 jewel in the
Helm
, or a
Cham
-rune that will work better for BotD option.
If you use Guardians Angel that will be better for Obedience. The all res that was previously just over-capping from Obedience can now be put use, and you can socket the armor with whatever you like. The BotD option will need to socket the armor with another
Um
-Rune.
-So minor advantages to either side, depending on what armor you pick, but shouldn't be enough to change the result much (but the typical "damage-option" aka Fortitude does favor BotD).

Woa, thank you all for so complete analyses, comparison listings and tables. Things you have pointed out, specially survivability I also consider important, but given LL is a more common choice, it has direct correlation to pure damage I think...
Just for note, my merc armor is Fortitude and current head piece is
Andariel's Visage
And I was planning to keep going to BotD and make tests with Gface, but I also liked the Cure suggestion cause I find the curses and poisons really annoying.
Well, If we get the gear, the fun part is worth the test.

Thanks again

If you would like to make an offer, please add me in bnet and comment in thread with the offer. Thank you.

mhlg 840

Americas PC
YugoHell wrote: 9 months ago
Cryptic Axe
Concentration

The choice of weapon for your merc also depends on the build you're pairing him with. If for instance it's a Paladin with
Fanaticism
. So what other skills are you adding to the mix?

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
I also use an
Eth
CA Obedience and LOVE having my act 2 merc use it along with an
Eth
AP fort, and a nice
Eth
Cure
Helm
too.
OP
Just a note that I have built an BotD (it came with 379 ED, 15% LL). I really liked to use it with ACT2 merc. With Andy Visage, it reaches 80% IAS and 25% LL. The merc turned into a little terminator with
Jab
machinegun and green fireworks. And he dies much less often, too. When he gets close to mobs, they seem to melt down.

uuee 18

Europe PC
YugoHell wrote: 9 months ago
Just a note that I have built an BotD (it came with 379 ED, 15% LL). I really liked to use it with ACT2 merc. With Andy Visage, it reaches 80% IAS and 25% LL. The merc turned into a little terminator with
Jab
machinegun and green fireworks. And he dies much less often, too. When he gets close to mobs, they seem to melt down.
Unless you made it into an
Eth
War Pike
(where 80ias nets you another breakpoint compared to 75) gface@ias should be better.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...