Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   3207 views

Description

Can anyone clarify comments about Infinity applying reduced effect BECAUSE of the sundered? From my understanding all they did with the change is make it so Infinity was recognizing enemies that were previously immune, even when being "broken" by sunder. instead of not registering that the enemy was immune at some point all and applying full effect like in the PTR.

From my understanding of this; Even with a sunder charm, Infinity is still operating 'normally' as it was in all situations previously, the same as before sunders entered the game. Applying full effect VS non-immune enemies and only applying reduced effect in the exact same situations as before, where it's dealing with an immune mob.

Effectively leaving Infinity completely unchanged. Having a sunder just means that now those few pesky unbreakable mobs that were dual enchanted (wrong term?) or what not, now have their immunity broken.

Is this wrong?
I've not been playing any of my NL toons who have Infinity. So, I couldn't say through experience. There seems to be a lot of confusion, mirage/placebo effect that got stirred up during the PTR and the "fix".

Also. Just some other curiosities...

Is the
Conviction
effect unique to the element it is effecting? If it's breaking a fire immune, is it now applying 1/5th to the rest that it was not immune to, or just the Fire?

Do aura's apply relative to a server/time 'tick'? Sometimes I jump into a scrap and
Conviction
applies instantly, other times it needs a moment.

I stepped away from the screen... And I forgot the rest of the things I was curious about =(
Description by GooberGirl

Can be used to make Runewords:

Can anyone clarify comments about Infinity applying reduced effect BECAUSE of the sundered? From my understanding all they did with the change is make it so Infinity was recognizing enemies that were previously immune, even when being "broken" by sunder. instead of not registering that the enemy was immune at some point all and applying full effect like in the PTR.

From my understanding of this; Even with a sunder charm, Infinity is still operating 'normally' as it was in all situations previously, the same as before sunders entered the game. Applying full effect VS non-immune enemies and only applying reduced effect in the exact same situations as before, where it's dealing with an immune mob.

Effectively leaving Infinity completely unchanged. Having a sunder just means that now those few pesky unbreakable mobs that were dual enchanted (wrong term?) or what not, now have their immunity broken.

Is this wrong?
I've not been playing any of my NL toons who have Infinity. So, I couldn't say through experience. There seems to be a lot of confusion, mirage/placebo effect that got stirred up during the PTR and the "fix".

Also. Just some other curiosities...

Is the
Conviction
effect unique to the element it is effecting? If it's breaking a fire immune, is it now applying 1/5th to the rest that it was not immune to, or just the Fire?

Do aura's apply relative to a server/time 'tick'? Sometimes I jump into a scrap and
Conviction
applies instantly, other times it needs a moment.

I stepped away from the screen... And I forgot the rest of the things I was curious about =(

Schnorki 3194Moderator

PC
Reposted from the topic where you originally asked this:

Infinity's behavior is exactly the same it has always been, regardless of whether or not you have a sunder equipped.

If a monster is not immune,
Conviction
works at full effect (with or without a sunder).
If a monster started out immune,
Conviction
works at 1/5th effect (with or without a sunder).

The only thing the "change" did was reverse a buff that only ever existed on the PTR, before sunders were ever available on live, that would have made
Conviction
work at full effect on previously immune mobs IF you broke the immunity with a sunder instead of with
Conviction
itself.

The same is true for lower res.

And yes, auras have a tick rate at which they re-apply. With lucky timing, you'll hit the new mobs in range "instantly", more often than not it takes a while.

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
yeah, because sunder breaks immune per attack, while
Conviction
is "touch" break via radius. I think that if you have 2 convictions operating, one from a pally for example, and one from your merc, that would probably lower the full res.

but i'm guessing, don't know if it was tested.

so sunders doesn't really help with Infinity, it is like a thing to help you get Infinity? perhaps.

the thing i don't understand-is why conv continues at 1/5 force? if it is already broken, then the rest of the
Lower Resist
should be proportional. same %.

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.
OP
rikus wrote: 1 year ago
yeah, because sunder breaks immune per attack, while
Conviction
is "touch" break via radius. I think that if you have 2 convictions operating, one from a pally for example, and one from your merc, that would probably lower the full res.

but i'm guessing, don't know if it was tested.

so sunders doesn't really help with Infinity, it is like a thing to help you get Infinity? perhaps.

the thing i don't understand-is why conv continues at 1/5 force? if it is already broken, then the rest of the
Lower Resist
The dual
Conviction
I would believe that would not be the case. Auras of the same type (from different sources) generally, if not always override by the one active with the highest level.

Sunders do help with Infinity, on mobs with immunity that would have otherwise been unbreakable. Sunders themselves break immune by dropping resistance to 95%, so pairing Infinity would still help.

As for the 1/5th, I'm assuming your speaking of it with sunders, I believe they used the word "balance" in that decision at some point. Since they seemed hellbent on having them in game as they are now, I personally would have preferred those debuffs to have stayed at full strength, maybe.. I'd assume lots of neat builds would have been pushed up in how usable they were, and it would have taken a lot of heat off the way
Cold Mastery
is interacting with sunders. I don't want to try and get into their heads though..

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
GooberGirl wrote: 1 year ago
As for the 1/5th, I'm assuming your speaking of it with sunders
no, for Infinity.
GooberGirl wrote: 1 year ago
if not always override by the one active with the highest level.
i think that is true with merc. but auras of same type on same character stack.

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.

ShadowHeart 1762Moderator

Europe PC
Lower Resist
The simple answer is - because Blizzard chose to do it that way. During PTR they got player feedback that Sunder + Infinity was too strong so they changed
Conviction
(and
Lower Resist
) to still work at 1/5 efficiency even if Sunder broke the immunity. Only Blizzard can truly answer why.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Europe PC
Not 100% true. Only auras granted from items will have their levels combined, like if you're wearing 2x Dream or wearing Hand of Justice with a Dragon and/or 2x Dragon. Aura granted by skill will never combine with auras from items, only the highest level aura is in effect (the highest of skill-granted aura and sum of all item-granted auras on the same character). Auras will never be combined from different characters and/or mercs, only auras from items worn by the same character will be combined.

I.e., a Paladin equipped with double Dream will get a level 30
Holy Shock
(both Dream grant a level 15
Holy Shock
each), but if the Paladin also use their own
Holy Shock
skill (you set it to your active aura) that will not combine with the
Holy Shock
from the items. The only way to get a higher level
Holy Shock
than level 30 is to actually have that high level on the
Holy Shock
skill.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
If I got this right, Sunder + Infinity will benefit most to light sor (maybe javazon as well?), since mob light resistance will be 95 - 17 - (45 ~ 55) - couple of light jewl. Is it correct?
Flyhorse wrote: 1 year ago
If I got this right, Sunder + Infinity will benefit most to light sor (maybe javazon as well?), since mob light resistance will be 95 - 17 - (45 ~ 55) - couple of light jewl. Is it correct?
Sunder + Infinity will benefit all classes the same. Sunder sets immunes to 95% and Infinity will apply its -17%.

You could say Sunder + Infinity now benefits fire and cold more than light because Infinity could not break most fire and cold immunes previously on its own.

Or are you talking about a self-wielding Infinity build as opposed to a merc with Infinity? The -45% ~ -55% Enemy Lightning Resist on Infinity only applies to your attacks if the character is wielding the Infinity, not if the merc is holding Infinity.
I was talking about self-wield light sor, but somehow javazon got in my mind.

Europe PC
Or a spearzon with self-wield Infinity... >:)

ShadowHeart wrote: 1 year ago
Not 100% true. Only auras granted from items will have their levels combined, like if you're wearing 2x Dream or wearing Hand of Justice with a Dragon and/or 2x Dragon. Aura granted by skill will never combine with auras from items, only the highest level aura is in effect (the highest of skill-granted aura and sum of all item-granted auras on the same character). Auras will never be combined from different characters and/or mercs, only auras from items worn by the same character will be combined.

I.e., a Paladin equipped with double Dream will get a level 30
Holy Shock
(both Dream grant a level 15
Holy Shock
each), but if the Paladin also use their own
Holy Shock
skill (you set it to your active aura) that will not combine with the
Holy Shock
from the items. The only way to get a higher level
Holy Shock
than level 30 is to actually have that high level on the
Holy Shock
skill.
exactly. just wanted to add thats why one strat in fighting ubers is to have a higher
Conviction
aura than
Uber Mephisto
as it will override it.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...