Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   2191 views

Are the runes equal to their cubing cost when it comes to trading nowadays?

No data yet

Description

Hello everyone,

Apologies if that is not the correct place for the thread, but I think that it's more of a general discussion rather than price check

Whenever there is a discussion around the runes in some forum (even the official one) there is always someone that will mention the word "High" rune and some arbitrary number in which for example
Lo
and
Sur
are very close and
Ber
and
Jah
are quite close as well. We will leave
Cham
and
Zod
out of the discussion. If we are to check some sites selling/"trading" items for $$/FG (from what it seems you can buy the same with $$, so...) that will certainly be the case, but with slightly bigger difference (I won't mention names, but I think the first result in google are obvious to anyone).

In practice almost nobody is going to trade (in-game) a rune for lower versions unless they are at least close to 95-100% of the cubing value. You can make a game and wait to verify it, you can check the threads here and it will be the mostly the same. Obviously there will be exceptions if someone is in a hurry. The reality is that people will always try to up-sell to whatever the market can bear, but be dirty cheap when they want to buy something.

Just example from this site:
trade/jah-t1102548.html
trade/jah-t1103773.html
The same guy wants to buy
Jah
for
Ber
, but sells
Jah
for
Ber
+
Sur
in the SAME TIME (and yes it's in the same non-ladder).
That is how trading works even in real-life (resellers, scalpers, whatever) - if you can make a profit, you will make a profit. I'm not blaming the guy, don't get me wrong. It's just to prove the point that nobody really wants to give their highER rune for less

My personal experience - Before few weeks I was trying to find
Lo
for Grief for
Ohm
+ 3x
Gul
+
Ist
(or 93.75% of the cubing value, that is what I had TBH). Most people who entered the game wanted something like +
Mal
+
Um
+
Pul
Ist
, 2x
Mal
, 2x
Ist
(!!) etc or 99.X-106.25% of the cubing value, so I just continued farming until I was able to cube it myself (and that was probably for days)

From what I can understand it seems like in the past there was a massive issue with rune duplicates and therefore everything lost its value and was a "HIGH" rune, but nowadays outside of bots (maybe) that should not be the case, so we are simply on the cubing value even tho high runes are almost matter of luck and they just "drop" instead of being cubed. Back in the days of the original I was a kid and only played it for some time very causally, so even tho I'm aware of what the game was, the online drama is kind of unknown area to me.

What is your opinion on the subject? How should the runes be traded one to another considering what is realistic? As I mentioned the arbitrary price is completely useless if it's respected only when someone searches for a rune, but nobody sells :)
Description by paw

Can be used to make Runewords:

paw 0

Europe PC
Hello everyone,

Apologies if that is not the correct place for the thread, but I think that it's more of a general discussion rather than price check

Whenever there is a discussion around the runes in some forum (even the official one) there is always someone that will mention the word "High" rune and some arbitrary number in which for example
Lo
and
Sur
are very close and
Ber
and
Jah
are quite close as well. We will leave
Cham
and
Zod
out of the discussion. If we are to check some sites selling/"trading" items for $$/FG (from what it seems you can buy the same with $$, so...) that will certainly be the case, but with slightly bigger difference (I won't mention names, but I think the first result in google are obvious to anyone).

In practice almost nobody is going to trade (in-game) a rune for lower versions unless they are at least close to 95-100% of the cubing value. You can make a game and wait to verify it, you can check the threads here and it will be the mostly the same. Obviously there will be exceptions if someone is in a hurry. The reality is that people will always try to up-sell to whatever the market can bear, but be dirty cheap when they want to buy something.

Just example from this site:
trade/jah-t1102548.html
trade/jah-t1103773.html
The same guy wants to buy
Jah
for
Ber
, but sells
Jah
for
Ber
+
Sur
in the SAME TIME (and yes it's in the same non-ladder).
That is how trading works even in real-life (resellers, scalpers, whatever) - if you can make a profit, you will make a profit. I'm not blaming the guy, don't get me wrong. It's just to prove the point that nobody really wants to give their highER rune for less

My personal experience - Before few weeks I was trying to find
Lo
for Grief for
Ohm
+ 3x
Gul
+
Ist
(or 93.75% of the cubing value, that is what I had TBH). Most people who entered the game wanted something like +
Mal
+
Um
+
Pul
Ist
, 2x
Mal
, 2x
Ist
(!!) etc or 99.X-106.25% of the cubing value, so I just continued farming until I was able to cube it myself (and that was probably for days)

From what I can understand it seems like in the past there was a massive issue with rune duplicates and therefore everything lost its value and was a "HIGH" rune, but nowadays outside of bots (maybe) that should not be the case, so we are simply on the cubing value even tho high runes are almost matter of luck and they just "drop" instead of being cubed. Back in the days of the original I was a kid and only played it for some time very causally, so even tho I'm aware of what the game was, the online drama is kind of unknown area to me.

What is your opinion on the subject? How should the runes be traded one to another considering what is realistic? As I mentioned the arbitrary price is completely useless if it's respected only when someone searches for a rune, but nobody sells :)
You can cube up, but you can't cube down.

So the only way to break a higher rune into small change is to trade - naturally the market will favour the seller in this case hence trading will never achieve 100% cubing value as you correctly observed.

And you're right on the old/ legacy economy - duped runes are so rampant that most high runes were trading at/ near parity whereas the D2R economy has more rational high rune values, discriminating by level and desirability (ex
Cham
and
Zod
)

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Dupes were theorized but never proved on D2R Live Bnet.
It may just be massive botting.
Blizzard had done 2 banwaves during this ladder yet there are streamers who would walk DC 10 times a week so it seems farm bots are still alive and well.

"Are the runes equal to their cubing cost when it comes to trading nowadays?":
only the lesser desirables runes will have a market value equal to half the next tier rune (
Gul
equal 1/2 a
Vex
and
Sur
equal 1/2 a
Ber
),
so no, you shouldn't expect every rune
Conversion
trade to be at cubing value.

Regarding HR market prices, there will always be someone who would have massive amount of HR trying to make a marging profit selling those to other who want to convert one for another fast.
About your example,
Jah
= [Ber Ohm ; Ber Ohm Vex], expecting more is predatory and an actual trade shouldn't happens that often.
As you point out, you can trade on another market, be it IG or another website, or outride paying money.
So others markets may have their own prices that I cannot speak of.

As a personal note, why would I frack an HR for more lower market values runes?
It take more place in stash so I would only make sense to do it if I can make a profit out of the trade (if I ever bother doing so), with the problem of doing the reverse trade while keeping a profit and in a reasonnable amount of time...

Necrarch 1640Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
This is far from fully up to date but you can look this :

forums/how-much-is-x-rune-worth-t290116-100.html

Check actual price history for more accuracy though

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
I recently traded "down" my
Sur
for a
Lo
, but I don't mind because I really wanted it to make my Fortitude, this is non-ladder so the price difference doesn't strike me as too important, if this was in Ladder then I would have been more stringent and asked for a bit more in trade for trading "down," since per cube recipe it takes two
Lo
for one
Sur
but nobody cubes them when it gets to that high rune because they are more useful to trade/sell or just use it yourself.
during winter when I had few Jahs. I really earn decent runes out of it. Just trade
Jah
for
Ber
and something and then
Ber
for
Jah
and so on.

It was kinda annoying to check trades but it was fast way to get runes.

I think you can always find trades like this anytime.

If you know the market and item value, you can do it with anything. For example I bought
Windforce
for
Ist
. When I joined lobby to put it on my bowa, I saw game N
Windforce
o 2ists. so I sold it right away without even shooting single arrow.

Tip check game names in lobby. Create your own - clear entire game - all good areas including bosses keyruns etc. It would take you hour or something then make new run. When I create game just to sell / buy stuff. I always chose price which is in my favour. Yeah I do sell same item here for fair price (I think). But there are guys who just doesnt know/want to use trading websites like this one. So for them its really hard to see real price of any item. And for them if they really really want your item and have some rune which they have no use for and you offer them item worth same price. They will go for it.

Its like fishing. Every trade has its buyer.

If someone is stupid and overpaying by a lot, then its his fault.

I just want to ask you all dont overvalue (like
Vex
instead of
Ist
) items on trading website.

check my other trades: member/The%20Flash/
my free items: simple t4t is fine with me :) what you pay is up to you
free anni to my WTS
LF
Ral
Nef
, keys, pame, pruby, jewel