Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   1815 views

Description

Usually there is a huge price difference between "close to perfect" and "perfect" item rolls (several
Ber
sometimes). I think it would be great to have a "close to perfect" button to actually indicate that something is 1-2 points off perfect and reserve "perfect roll" button for items that are actually perfect. Sometimes I look for perfect items and I get something not even close to that, it's a bit overused. "close to perfect" would be really useful also, because those items are usually much cheaper than perfect and still really good.

Can be used to make Runewords:

louner 197

Europe PC
Usually there is a huge price difference between "close to perfect" and "perfect" item rolls (several
Ber
sometimes). I think it would be great to have a "close to perfect" button to actually indicate that something is 1-2 points off perfect and reserve "perfect roll" button for items that are actually perfect. Sometimes I look for perfect items and I get something not even close to that, it's a bit overused. "close to perfect" would be really useful also, because those items are usually much cheaper than perfect and still really good.
Request fulfilledby Teebling1 year agoGo to post
Was just letting this discussion run its course before I chimed in.

I anticipated people abusing the perfect filter, so decided to leave it slightly ambiguous by defining it as 'perfect or near perfect'. In this way, people don't get overly upset when it is used liberally, or when the 'perfectness' of the item is in dispute/difficult to determine absolutely.

It's not an ideal solution of course, but without a means of forcefully and accurately verifying each item listed, and having a strict code by which each item is deemed 'perfect' (as others have noted), there's no way to stop people from using it however they like.

Right now I don't intend to change it. Why? Because to this date, despite some of the great suggestions in this thread, has drawn up a strategy that is 1. totally effective and 2. reasonable for me to code/manage.

i second that. would be great

Disclaimer: i have a potato PC, joining the game for a trade might take a while ;)
I saw a 1.25 life/28 res forti tagged perfect.
So I am afraid that 50% of trades would be tagged "closed to perfect"

Relax and have fun!
mockingbirdreal wrote: 1 year ago
I saw a 1.25 life/28 res forti tagged perfect.
So I am afraid that 50% of trades would be tagged "closed to perfect"
I agree. Perfect has an exact definition and people still deliberately misuse it. "Close to perfect" is completely subjective and effectively meaningless. Some people will attempt to clickbait their trade titles no matter what.

For the past couple of weeks, I had a 15/10 superior armor for trade (which I've since rescinded because I think I want to use it for myself now). I tagged it perfect, but I wrestled with whether that was correct because technically, only 15/0 or 15/15 is perfect. But I've seen other people tag a 14% ED perfect and that's simply a lie. You give those people a "close to perfect" option and they'll apply it to 9% ED.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
OP

louner 197

Europe PC
Maybe some other solution then? Like some guidelines on each item (at least uniques) that can be contributed and say what can be considered perfect?

I believe that "very close to perfect" is fair enough for non-fully-perfect items

For example, i have 240% ed 13% ll
The Reaper's Toll
, which is 2 point of life leach from perfect. However, it has perfect damage roll and nice ll roll, so i think that's a fair usage of 'perfect roll' button.

It is mostly up to people to decide whether item is close to perfect or not

Agreed, it is ultimately up to user discretion.

In my book, for items that can have multiple variable rolls where the most important variables of the item are perfect where we would colloquially call it "perfect" even though it's technically not, I think it's fine to call it so.

However, if none of those multiple rolls are perfect, then I wouldn't call it perfect.

A 400/14 EBotD? Begrudgingly, yes I would be okay calling that perfect because the life leech isn't that important to the item, and hitting on 1:51 odds is already pretty noteworthy in its own right versus the extremely unlikely 1:204 of a 400/15 roll. Where it gets interesting though is if you put the runes in an superior ED base, the roll itself wasn't 400%, but the total result exceeds 400%.

A 1.25/30 Fortitude? Not perfect in my book. Life per level is a bit more significant in how the item's bonuses affect the character's passive stats than life leech.

A 15/10 superior armor like the one I had listed? I think most people would be fine calling it perfect since 15% ED is by far the most meaningful of the superior rolls. The durability roll is actually a bit of a deterrent to some people, so a 15/10 would better than one of the definitions of perfect (15/15).

If that 15/10 superior armor was ethereal, it's perfect as far as anyone should be concerned unless you're a madman who uses ethereal items on your own character rather than for your merc.

EPOCH FAIL
some people dont understand what is "close to perfect". For instance if you roll perf life leach on your reaper toll but the ed is almost 20% off perfect, you didnt roll a "close to perfect" reaper toll. I find this quite annoying actually much more so than someone who posts a perfect Grief and in actuality its 39 ias 398dmg

The only effective solution is, unfortunately, very complicated. To solve the problem, the terms "Close to perfect" and "Perfect roll" need to be defined programmatically based on predefined parameters that are compared to values found in the database. Then, users must be denied the button. Furthermore, to make it work correctly, users would have to be required to enter correct values for every attribute showing on the item they want to trade. So, you can see, there really is no way to effectively address the issue because there is no way to ensure users will enter correct values.

I don't know of any software that can read text from an image. If such software exists (in my mind, at least) it would have to be very expensive. But, if that type of set up could be achieved, it would be simple enough to require users to include a screen snip in their listing. Of course, then you would be alienating those who can't understand how to take the snip and upload it into their listing.

If we trade and it goes well, I will give you a trust.
If I don't get trust from you, I will remove that trust and I will not trade with you again.

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
Bricker wrote: 1 year ago
The only effective solution is, unfortunately, very complicated. To solve the problem, the terms "Close to perfect" and "Perfect roll" need to be defined programmatically based on predefined parameters that are compared to values found in the database. Then, users must be denied the button. Furthermore, to make it work correctly, users would have to be required to enter correct values for every attribute showing on the item they want to trade. So, you can see, there really is no way to effectively address the issue because there is no way to ensure users will enter correct values.

I don't know of any software that can read text from an image. If such software exists (in my mind, at least) it would have to be very expensive. But, if that type of set up could be achieved, it would be simple enough to require users to include a screen snip in their listing. Of course, then you would be alienating those who can't understand how to take the snip and upload it into their listing.
What you are asking for exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_c ... ecognition
Tetra wrote: 1 year ago
Bricker wrote: 1 year ago

What you are asking for exist: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_c ... ecognition
Well, there ya go then. Who wants to take on the task of adapting it to our use here? Huh? Huh? Huh? Any takers? :D

If we trade and it goes well, I will give you a trust.
If I don't get trust from you, I will remove that trust and I will not trade with you again.
I didn't read all the posts.

But my take is this:

Not all perfect stats are critical in it's functional use in the game.

There are power gamers here who in the past had taken issue with my tagging an item as "perfect roll" when it isn't "perfect" to them in their POV so it's all perspective.

So I would agree with @snakecharmed
In my book, for items that can have multiple variable rolls where the most important variables of the item are perfect where we would colloquially call it "perfect" even though it's technically not, I think it's fine to call it so.
It's a perfect roll on a stat variable - for instance 35 AR on Vipermagi - which holds precedence over MDR or maybe even base defence.

What I would suggest is to include another Tag rather than "close to perfect" because that would further blur the lines which is detrimental to the search filter even.

Call it "Grail" for the penultimate cream of the crop :P

@teebling - WDYT ?

Offer if price not stated
Mines wrote: 2 years ago
If you like health,
String of Ears
is much better option. 8% Life Stolen Per Hit loved it on my hamerdian. Spiral hammer on large group of enemies you fully healed.
I have seen a handful of people misuse the "Perfect" tag. "Near perfect" would be a good option to have for trades, assuming those same people would be honest enough to use it.

And this may be difficult logic to program, but could have community control "Perfect" tag, letting people vote. Could code it where if 5-10 unique users (with more than XX level of trust) vote "not perfect", then it would get demoted to "Near Perfect" or something along those lines. Kinda like Uber system where anyone can update it, but something more democratic where it takes 5+ different people to change the status. Probably more effort to implement than it's worth though..

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

Teebling 5820Admin

Europe PC
Was just letting this discussion run its course before I chimed in.

I anticipated people abusing the perfect filter, so decided to leave it slightly ambiguous by defining it as 'perfect or near perfect'. In this way, people don't get overly upset when it is used liberally, or when the 'perfectness' of the item is in dispute/difficult to determine absolutely.

It's not an ideal solution of course, but without a means of forcefully and accurately verifying each item listed, and having a strict code by which each item is deemed 'perfect' (as others have noted), there's no way to stop people from using it however they like.

Right now I don't intend to change it. Why? Because to this date, despite some of the great suggestions in this thread, has drawn up a strategy that is 1. totally effective and 2. reasonable for me to code/manage.
This post was marked as the best answer.

I think that's fair to keep things as is.

The only way to enforce any of these rules surrounding perfection would be to compare an item listing with the item database, and that just doesn't work for this site, which has a UI layer fundamentally built on forum software driven by user posts.

Each item listed for sale would require an input form driven by a lot of business logic like D2Planner. The effort required to verify if an item for trade is perfect or close to it isn't feasible for something of limited shelf life like an item listing. An item for sale on this site has no permanence like an item to use in a character planner would.

I don't believe phpBB is that extensible anyway to support this idea. Even at the crudest level of data verification, I don't think anybody has ever integrated any OCR functionality into phpBB because there's no use case for it outside of this hypothetical scenario. Even then, there would still be additional complexity required for supporting multiple languages as the game does.

Even a voting system is kind of a wasted effort. I don't think a non-interested third-party is that highly invested in the integrity of a random trade listing. It's like Craigslist or eBay. If I see something isn't perfect like advertised, then I'm probably thinking the person listing the trade is either disingenuous or dumb and then I'm moving on to look at the next trade listing. If I still want the item, I'm probably not going to offer the asking price as if it was perfect.

EPOCH FAIL
I don't think the button needs to change, either. The one nuance I'd add to this discussion is, some newer players might think an item is perfect in a situation where none of the affixes are even variable. Or a 400/40 Grief in a
Crystal Sword

The idea of "perfect" depends an awful lot on experience of the game. I caught a lot of flak for using it on a 60% ED
Steelrend
(since that's the most important affix value-wise). The frequency of truly, truly perfect drops at the elite base level is so low that the filter would almost never get used if that were the requirement.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Many of the buyers interested in perfect rolls are advanced players who have a plan to optimize their characters to the max. Anybody who's actually serious enough to need nothing less than a "perfect" version of an item item is probably also serious enough to meticulously check the stats of each and every listing of whatever they're looking for (maybe even across multiple trading sites), regardless of whether or not said listings are tagged as "perfect."

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...