Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   7202 views

Description

Hi all, I really like melee with aoe, so I'm testing all werewolves+aoe viability with somewhat high investment in gear. Also d2r
Werewolf
looks fantastic.
green- Fury
Rabies
, blue- Fury
Hurricane
, red- Fury and
Fissure
proc from
Earth Shifter
. Not going geddon, I hate its randomness, a ton of damage but can miss many mobs for a long time. makes me sad for the skill investment.

I need your tips for gear choices-
Fury
Rabies
- Grief
Phase Blade
, 4os armor with 4 perf facets, +3
Rabies
pelt(maybe with Fury/
Werewolf
/
Lycanthropy
) with 3 perf facets. 4os
Monarch
with 4 facets. trangs,
Gore Rider
, highlord's, duel leach,
Raven Frost
, and res
Belt
, probably ik
Belt
. merc is a question-
Frenzy
merc with 2 Plague/ might merc with reaper's. Donnu if phys damage will be good enough without the might merc. shapeshifting gc's.

Fury
Hurricane
- Doom
Great Poleaxe
, 4os armor with 3 perf facets and 15 ias jewel. perf nightwing's with perf facet. laying on hands. rest of the gear similar to the first wolf. Infinity merc. Will also try Doom
Berserker Axe
with 4os
Monarch
with 4 perf facets, but worried that phys damage will suffer too much like that, also getting another
Cham
Lo
Ohm
, sheesh. Elemental gc's.

Fury with
Fissure
proc from
Earth Shifter
- well,
Earth Shifter
(
Shael
), +3 Fury pelt with 3 perf fire facets, 4os armor with 3 perf fire facets and 15 ias jewel, laying on hands, rest is similar to the first wolf. Infinity merc. shapeshifting gc's(but not that critical here).

so as you see the goal here is to really try and make the aoe powerful, at the expense of the Fury damage(but not too much). If you have better gear suggestion around that note, i'll be happy to hear.

Thanks!
Description by or.houster

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi all, I really like melee with aoe, so I'm testing all werewolves+aoe viability with somewhat high investment in gear. Also d2r
Werewolf
looks fantastic.
green- Fury
Rabies
, blue- Fury
Hurricane
, red- Fury and
Fissure
proc from
Earth Shifter
. Not going geddon, I hate its randomness, a ton of damage but can miss many mobs for a long time. makes me sad for the skill investment.

I need your tips for gear choices-
Fury
Rabies
- Grief
Phase Blade
, 4os armor with 4 perf facets, +3
Rabies
pelt(maybe with Fury/
Werewolf
/
Lycanthropy
) with 3 perf facets. 4os
Monarch
with 4 facets. trangs,
Gore Rider
, highlord's, duel leach,
Raven Frost
, and res
Belt
, probably ik
Belt
. merc is a question-
Frenzy
merc with 2 Plague/ might merc with reaper's. Donnu if phys damage will be good enough without the might merc. shapeshifting gc's.

Fury
Hurricane
- Doom
Great Poleaxe
, 4os armor with 3 perf facets and 15 ias jewel. perf nightwing's with perf facet. laying on hands. rest of the gear similar to the first wolf. Infinity merc. Will also try Doom
Berserker Axe
with 4os
Monarch
with 4 perf facets, but worried that phys damage will suffer too much like that, also getting another
Cham
Lo
Ohm
, sheesh. Elemental gc's.

Fury with
Fissure
proc from
Earth Shifter
- well,
Earth Shifter
(
Shael
), +3 Fury pelt with 3 perf fire facets, 4os armor with 3 perf fire facets and 15 ias jewel, laying on hands, rest is similar to the first wolf. Infinity merc. shapeshifting gc's(but not that critical here).

so as you see the goal here is to really try and make the aoe powerful, at the expense of the Fury damage(but not too much). If you have better gear suggestion around that note, i'll be happy to hear.

Thanks!
The only one I could speak on is the Fury/
Rabies
build. I was doing it for a while and it was pretty fun.

Basically I had Fury,
Rabies
, and
Poison Creeper
maxed for the synergies and to be able to use each as needed at full strength. I could get my Fury damage to around the mid 20K range (usually using
Eth
BOTD
Thunder Maul
, also with Might Merc) and poison damage up to a max of around 70K with various weapons but that was usually based on just focusing on + skills which isn't practical for general play.

The sacrifices there were having only 1 hard point in each of the sages, not quite being able to max
Lycanthropy
, and only having ravens and Spirit wolf for summons besides the
Poison Creeper
. However, on the plus side all the skills are tanking yourself up and you don't have to depend on squishy summons etc.
Poison Creeper
really isn't staying alive its more for just the
Rabies
damage. That helps for PVP and Ubers where summons get wiped out fast a lot of the time.

I used
Rabies
almost entirely for PVP (a whole other story of
Werewolf
struggling survival among people way better set up for PVP play usually :P). For PVM play
Rabies
is more a well developed support skill while mostly using Fury.
Rabies
steps up for dealing with physical immunes.

I found that the faceting of weapons and shields is not always as impactful as you think it might be (and invest in all the facets and bases to do) - For example I tried faceting a
Rune Master
with 5 facets and a
Head Hunter's Glory
with 3 facets, and when you compare it to just a Spirit or using
Plague Bearer
that gives you plus skills and then synergies with
Rabies
/
Poison Creeper
... it wasn't always that much better. That was depressing after accumulating the parts, but good info to know!

One other quick thing about helms - I've found that for this same reason just having a faceted Jalal's works fine because you're getting +4 shapeshifting skills and +2 creeper, and then all the rest of the attributes, then the facet kicks in on top. If you can find the perfect rare pelt that probably would be ideal, but how much better and at what price? That's the question I ask myself after overspending several times.

I would at least try the more common options like Spirt,
Plague Bearer
, faceted Jalal's etc. and see how it goes before spending a ton on some of this stuff.

I'm curious about these other hybrid builds but somewhat skeptical about how to get enough power from Fury and the elemental tree simultaneously to make it work, but updates on how it goes would be interesting to me.
OP
Thanks!
It's my jam to spend time accumulating the Wealth to test these things... farming has to have a goal or it's pointless. I checked out
Plague Bearer
and its damage is very poor, so it becomes a
Rabies
build only. In that case it's better to use dweb.
Also I'll have to do the math but I think that really leaning on facets while keeping the skill relatively low may result in better dps, cause more skill points means more poison time.
About jalal's I already bought one, will test that.
I will report, it'll take some time cause I have only the cheap pieces for now. Fire build nearly ready though.

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
How about Plague weapon (
Phase Blade
, for example) - if you rely heavily on
Rabies
? 😉
Also: surprised you decline armag - it roasts the crap out of em really nice n fast (my fireclaw+armag shifter can confirm - Plague pb + Phoenix shield is BiS for him, combined with merc's Infinity).
There may be also a hybrid approach: fire + poison. But questionable - you lose a lot of fire synergies n survivability with such setup.
OP
Asha wrote: 1 year ago
Phase Blade
Rabies
? 😉
Also: surprised you decline armag - it roasts the crap out of em really nice n fast (my fireclaw+armag shifter can confirm - Plague pb + Phoenix shield is BiS for him, combined with merc's Infinity).
There may be also a hybrid approach: fire + poison. But questionable - you lose a lot of fire synergies n survivability with such setup.
Inconsistent things trouble me... like the lower res proc. + it has much lower damage than Grief.
I'll try geddon in the end I suppose, after all else has failed. It's just so inconsistent, I tested it... But if you say so, i'll try.
Did you find it viable and fast enough in 8p cows? 5p cows?

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
About fireclaw +
Armageddon
? Yes, I can definitely confirm. My dru is 94lvl atm, and mostly I raise him at crowd baalruns. Yes, he gets hit alot - but with 4k+ life, max res, absorbs, and 8k armag dps, he doesn't even need to scratch mobs with fc often. Phoenix recycles the crap, while Plague keeps it constantly LR-cursed. Combined with merc's
Conviction
- everything burns like paper (Lister pack and minotaurs included)
I run the same build while being less geared*. Even being squishy and unable to break immunities, I vouch for
Armageddon
. Honestly,
Armageddon
taking its time catching up to you as you're moving around is a bigger issue than where its hits land: everything nearby will get roasted as long as you can survive being swarmed.

*full Aldur's Watchtower with
Medusa's Gaze
(Obedience
Thresher
on swap),
Laying of Hands
Nosferatu's Coil
Raven Frost
, a res ring, pre-buff +3 Shape Shifting amulet +
The Rising Sun
, and a Sazabi's Grand Tribute + Lawbringer
Frenzy
Barb merc.

[PC — SC Ladder — UTC+1]
Open to haggling. Add me if offering BIN.
Perfect Gems
and Shape Shifting GCs are also accepted.
OP
About fireclaw +
Armageddon
? Yes, I can definitely confirm. My dru is 94lvl atm, and mostly I raise him at crowd baalruns. Yes, he gets hit alot - but with 4k+ life, max res, absorbs, and 8k armag dps, he doesn't even need to scratch mobs with fc often. Phoenix recycles the crap, while Plague keeps it constantly LR-cursed. Combined with merc's
Conviction
- everything burns like paper (Lister pack and minotaurs included)
Ok I'm hyped to try it agin now that you both vouched for it. maybe with the
Earth Shifter
? seems a power combo. maybe like 1 point into Fury and rest to geddon synergys. It's double effectivness cause
Firestorm
and
Volcano
are synergys to
Fissure
and geedon both. And
Earth Shifter
pack A massive +7 ele skills. I think with inifinty, as someone else explained in a diffrent post of mine, it's better to have +skill damage more than -fire resist. so i'll try with the fire facet armor. I do have a +3 geddon pelt, I can fill it with fire facets too, or do faceted jalal's... if enough people sell perf facets I'll buy them all. As a matter of a fact, I think i'll build this first... just need like 3/4 more facets and raise a dudu.
If survival becomes an issue, I'll ditch the facet pelt and make Delirium in it, it's such a perfect saftey tool, amazing.
Earth Shifter
should be really cool, especially after 2.4 amplified the physical portion of Fire spells. As for Fury, that has worked just fine for me with only one hard point, and I'm not even running any Shape Shifting skillers. It's weak, but it's good enough for when it's necessary. Here's how my skill-point distribution looks — keep in mind I'm in my MF gear right now: It's not the most effective distribution, but those extra one-pointers add flexibility and group utility, especially given I don't have Infinity to break Fire immunities.

EDIT: Of course, you do still need Plague/
Medusa's Gaze
's proc or a
Wand
with
Lower Resist
charges (those do exist, right?) to break Fire immunities even if you have Infinity, so keep that in mind when considering
Earth Shifter

[PC — SC Ladder — UTC+1]
Perfect Gems
OP
Runasutaru wrote: 1 year ago
Earth Shifter
should be really cool, especially after 2.4 amplified the physical portion of Fire spells. As for Fury, that has worked just fine for me with only one hard point, and I'm not even running any Shape Shifting skillers. It's weak, but it's good enough for when it's necessary. Here's how my skill-point distribution looks — keep in mind I'm in my MF gear right now:
image.png

It's not the most effective distribution, but those extra one-pointers add flexibility and group utility, especially given I don't have Infinity to break Fire immunities.

EDIT: Of course, you do still need Plague/
Medusa's Gaze
's proc or a
Wand
with
Lower Resist
charges (those do exist, right?) to break Fire immunities even if you have Infinity, so keep that in mind when considering
Earth Shifter
Thanks for the image. Can't see myself using
Fire Claws
... I like Fury much more, and it hitting fast is
Key
to procing fissures. I'll have to test skill loadouts, see when Fury and geddon are both strong enough. I may have enough skills to invest some in Fury too, if I go max geddon it's 81 skills, Fury is 5, 86, and a 85 character has 96 skills... last 11 will have to go to Fury/
Fissure
(more geddon duration)/
Werewolf
, maybe for more needed ias. Also, the
Key
might be mixing natural and ss charms... who knows. Will try.
Earth Shifter
is a serious bonk, ton of phys damage and 33 crushing blow... let's hope it gives some whack with little skill investment.
Going for fully-synergised
Fire Claws
and
Fissure
would be mental, so I can't blame you.

Mixing charms up is a possibility, though Shape Shifting ones are bound to be more bang for your buck as they're boosting
Werewolf
Lycanthropy
Feral Rage
, and Fury (or literally the entire tree if you're me). With that said, I've only had Elemental skillers drop, so those are what I'm using.

All this said, I can't imagine
Earth Shifter
not hitting really hard. My concern is — as you brought up — whether you'll be swinging it quickly enough. Once you get used to it, recasting
Armageddon
even with only 1 point in
Fissure
is alright, so I'd definitely consider directing some skill points to
Werewolf
if skillers turn out to be insufficient.

[PC — SC Ladder — UTC+1]
Perfect Gems
OP
Phase Blade
Rabies
? 😉
In the build you describe, are you a bear or wolf?

I'n finding it very hard to survive without my merc, and he bites the dust a ton... Can't keep him alive.
Geddon is very powerful but it doesn't keep cows in hit recovery, so merc often gets swarmed and I can't save him. I use Treachery vgaze and
Eth
gpa
Poleaxe
Lately I switched the vgaze to Delirium and it helps, but a cow boss can 1-2 shot him.
If there are cows with might/fana/cursed- it's game over.
I only got to 2.7 k life and they can crush me if I'm amped, even with massive leech, but mainly because merc dies quickly and all my damage is heavily dependent on him.

I'm talking cows 8.

I thought that bear with
Shock Wave
and fire claw will help a lot in that regard, but I see he attacks so slow and fire doesn't leech so I don't know... also my phys damage currently is low vs cows (50 phys res), fireclaws will deal 20+ k after resists, so maybe it's a giod idea.

To sum it up-
Are you a bear/wolf?
How do you keep your merc alive?
OP
or.houster wrote: 1 year ago
Phase Blade
Rabies
? 😉
In the build you describe, are you a bear or wolf?

I'n finding it very hard to survive without my merc, and he bites the dust a ton... Can't keep him alive.
Geddon is very powerful but it doesn't keep cows in hit recovery, so merc often gets swarmed and I can't save him. I use Treachery vgaze and
Eth
gpa
Poleaxe
Infinity.
Lately I switched the vgaze to Delirium and it helps, but a cow boss can 1-2 shot him.
If there are cows with might/fana/cursed- it's game over.
I only got to 2.7 k life and they can crush me if I'm amped, even with massive leech, but mainly because merc dies quickly and all my damage is heavily dependent on him.

I'm talking cows 8.

I thought that bear with
Shock Wave
and fire claw will help a lot in that regard, but I see he attacks so slow and fire doesn't leech so I don't know... also my phys damage currently is low vs cows (50 phys res), fireclaws will deal 20+ k after resists, so maybe it's a giod idea.

To sum it up-
Are you a bear/wolf?
How do you keep your merc alive?

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
3,7k life puppy shape, 4,4k life - teddy.
Plague pb + Phoenix shield, coh, mara, jalal (so far, until i find a gg 3armag 3fc pelt), strings,
Magefist
. Merc with forti, infi, andi
OP
Ok report on red wolf-
Fissure
procs from the
Earth Shifter
- very small damage, cant build around it. what really shines is (and thanks to all who suggeted this) armaggedon. Cow on p8 drop like flies- when they get hit from a
Meteor
. Problem is- if I/merc get cursed- it's game over(in p8 cows). got to go to town to get it off. Simply not tanky enough.
Current gear- 3os pelt with 3 arma and 3
Hurricane
facted with 3 perf facets. highlord's. The big bonk
Earth Shifter
(
Shael
). 4os
Archon Plate
with 4 perf facets. Laying on hands, string, Ik
Boots
, duel leech ring,
Raven Frost
skills- all fire skills maxed except of
Fissure
, leftover points to
Lycanthropy
, some in
Werewolf
and Fury.
The
Fissure
proc does compliment the arma, there's an area of constant Death around me. I wish merc wouldn't die so often, I hope Fortitude will make a diffrence when I put one on him.

Fury damage is crap on p8 cows, but it heals me very good. Very fun build, not for the faint of heart, and high micro management, casting arma
Hurricane
' stopping to re-up bo, and getting
Feral Rage
on- it's a buff party that never ends.
I believe a fireclaws variant of this will be better- no need for huge str req of
Earth Shifter
, and more arma damage, probably immense fire claw damage. Will do it once I get the runes.

I hope I'll have time to continue to green/blue wolves, But I believe they'll be crap- after seeing what amount of damage it takes to destroy high count cows, I don't think
Hurricane
or
Rabies
will be up for it no matter the setup. We'll see.

Thanks for all the great comments so far!
I don't think [...]
Rabies

My very first clear of D2 (pre-2.4) was on an untwinked
Rabies
+
Fury: Skill
Werewolf
in players1. Not only was I new to the game in general, but I also made the mistake of going with 20pt
Oak Sage
instead of 20pt
Lycanthropy
, so I had to rely on
Poison Creeper
+
Rabies
to kill off Hell Ancients because I could not tank more than a hit or two.

It took one hour and fifteen minutes of continuous kiting to get it done.

I think you can guess my opinion on
Rabies
' power. It's very fun to watch it spread, and I'm sure it's a lot more usable after the 2.4 buffs, but... it's still
Rabies

[PC — SC Ladder — UTC+1]
Perfect Gems
OP
Runasutaru wrote: 1 year ago
I don't think [...]
Rabies

My very first clear of D2 (pre-2.4) was on an untwinked
Rabies
+
Fury: Skill
Werewolf
in players1. Not only was I new to the game in general, but I also made the mistake of going with 20pt
Oak Sage
instead of 20pt
Lycanthropy
, so I had to rely on
Poison Creeper
+
Rabies
to kill off Hell Ancients because I could not tank more than a hit or two.

It took one hour and fifteen minutes of continuous kiting to get it done.

I think you can guess my opinion on
Rabies
' power. It's very fun to watch it spread, and I'm sure it's a lot more usable after the 2.4 buffs, but... it's still
Rabies
Sounds like fun lol.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...