Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
2 replies   451 views

Description

Hello All

One of the things that caused an uproar earlier on in D2r public discussion, was little ways in which the more modern politically correct sensibility might mess with this classic game. Yet we found that more often than not, the gore and other painful images were retained, to our relief.

Yet, here I am a month or so later and I am noticing suddenly that the bodies have quietly been removed. No more torture victims, or far fewer, just bloody empty tables. I am concerned that Blizzard is creeping around in a misguided effort to slowly sanitize this dark, brutally unflinching game, as they sneakily did with
Natalya
's comment about the Children of Zakarum (originally the line was 'go up against the Children and their midget minions', but that was clipped away because not PC and sadly no one noticed).

To me, this is akin to creating a period piece during the civil war and carefully pruning away all the extreme horrors of slavery. I hate this sort of censorship, any sort of censorship, but to disrespect a piece of art like this game, to force it into a sanitized, modern form is anathema to me.

Has anyone else noticed this PC brush surreptitiously editing away the dark bits? It's subtle, because I think they are doing it gradually, but compared to release, this feels like a heavily sanitized version already. I hope someone will tell me this is just my imagination.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello All

One of the things that caused an uproar earlier on in D2r public discussion, was little ways in which the more modern politically correct sensibility might mess with this classic game. Yet we found that more often than not, the gore and other painful images were retained, to our relief.

Yet, here I am a month or so later and I am noticing suddenly that the bodies have quietly been removed. No more torture victims, or far fewer, just bloody empty tables. I am concerned that Blizzard is creeping around in a misguided effort to slowly sanitize this dark, brutally unflinching game, as they sneakily did with
Natalya
's comment about the Children of Zakarum (originally the line was 'go up against the Children and their midget minions', but that was clipped away because not PC and sadly no one noticed).

To me, this is akin to creating a period piece during the civil war and carefully pruning away all the extreme horrors of slavery. I hate this sort of censorship, any sort of censorship, but to disrespect a piece of art like this game, to force it into a sanitized, modern form is anathema to me.

Has anyone else noticed this PC brush surreptitiously editing away the dark bits? It's subtle, because I think they are doing it gradually, but compared to release, this feels like a heavily sanitized version already. I hope someone will tell me this is just my imagination.
I'm all for this game retaining its gory character but comparing censoring a wholly fictitious ARPG with censoring the horrors of slavery in a theoretical game, (a thing that actually happened in the real world) is incredibly wrong-minded. It's possible to make the argument against censorship without that kind of really awful comparison. You're doing yourself and your desire to protect D2 a disservice.
OP
I disagree, I used an extreme example to dramatically make a point about art and the context within which it happens. Frankly, that I cannot even mention slavery in the context of history is very odd. It happened, it makes people uncomfortable and it was illustrative.

I certainly don't think I done anything a disservice, since I was only trying to communicate a point, not make a value judgement.

But before this thread gets sidetracked into a fruitless discussion of what we are permitted to talk about, I'll get back to the game.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...