Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
12 replies   9609 views

Description

Hello all! I have collected a small handful of poison charms and was wondering about its utility. What builds use them if any? I don't mind if they are bad, pvp centered, or something fun.

Cheers

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello all! I have collected a small handful of poison charms and was wondering about its utility. What builds use them if any? I don't mind if they are bad, pvp centered, or something fun.

Cheers
Maybe some poison necros might use them

Just an average guy.
Any poison damage works like "Prevent Monster Healing", is the
Key
benefit of the poison charm as far as I am aware.

Any poison damage sets monster regeneration to zero and then applies actual poison damage.

Unless they changed this in D2R?
Apparently you can actually do less damage with poison if you add low damage charms/items into the mix.

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Poison_damage

Poison Damage can be difficult to calculate in Diablo 2, because multiple poison items and skills do not stack directly.
Poison damage is not actually calculated in damage per second, but damage per frame.

Example

--Level 10
Poison Dagger
does up to 153 over 5.6 seconds (151 frames) or 1.01 DPF.

--A Small Charm of Anthrax does 50 over 5 seconds (135 frames) or 0.37 DPF.

--A perserved head which adds 50 over 4 seconds (108 frames) or 0.46 DPF.

The total damage per frame for this attack is 1.84, and it will last for 4.86 seconds (131 frames). This is a total of 241 poison damage.

If you added a charm that does 10 damage over 2 seconds, the damage per frame increases to 2.03, but the total damage is actually reduced to 227 because the effect only lasts for 4.15 seconds (112 frames).

credit: SuperIllu for pointing this out in this thread - post1982660.html#p1982660
This sounds very complicated..

If you offer what I am asking, add me on battle.net for a quicker trade. I'll see the notification instantly if I'm available.
A video i watched one time suggested a bowazon would be the right build for bulk +poison damage charms.

I think a combination of fast attack speed, piercing attack and multi
Arrows
allows you to get a lot of hits quickly each with all your +poision damage included.
RMac85 wrote: 2 years ago
A video i watched one time suggested a bowazon would be the right build for bulk +poison damage charms.

Arrows
allows you to get a lot of hits quickly each with all your +poision damage included.
I run a hybrid
Strafe
/multishot bowazon, and I use a bunch of 50 poison dmg/6 seconds SCs on her, in my experience, the poison dmg is useful, but against most mobs the poison dmg is not readily apparent, because the majority of other charms I have in inventory are direct damage, min/max physical, elemental dmg, as well as +life and all res charms. The most apparent use of the poison charms are when I go up against annoying Physical immune monsters (Wraiths and boss pack/uniques), that's when repeated shooting drains their life and all the other non-physical dmg stacks to whittle the mob down, and the poison is a good help in those instances. Also, the poison is useful when there are those mobs that run away from you after getting hit, and they die a short time after being shot while fleeing.
This is all assuming whatever mobs are not poison immune, ofc.

Zebot 70

Paladin Americas PC
RMac85 wrote: 2 years ago

Arrows
I thought fast attack speed wasn’t necessarily better with poison, but a slower single target hit rate like from
Whirlwind
barbarian (when targeting groups) might be better. Because I thought that each successful hit ‘reset’ the poison damage frames, rather than stacking damage from each hit.

For example, if your damage should last 4 seconds but you hit again at two seconds, that poison resulted in only half of its potential. And a new 4 seconds begins.

I haven’t used poison charms since the olden days, though. And, of course, faster attack speed improves dps otherwise. Can anyone more knowledgeable confirm?
OP
So is the 100 poison/sec small charm better than the 175 poison/sec charm? I'm confused on how they stack.

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
tatatat wrote: 2 years ago
This sounds very complicated..
It is even more complicated, the source that StonerSmurf provided is not fully corrected because poison skills and other source of poison work together in a strange way. Normally all Poison Sources add their Duration and is divided by the number of sources. But Poison skill doesn't count as "source" for that calculation but add their duration so if you use
Poison Dagger
with a duration of 10 sec and a charm with 4 sec, it will have (10sec + 4sec) / 1 = 14sec (only the charm count as source). If you add another charm, it calculates this way: (10sec + 4sec + 4sec) / 2 = 9sec. If you use
Poison Dagger
, you should only use one extra source of poison damage to dramatically increase the Duration or use the Venom of Treachery for the high damage per tick.
According to the link I posted it says Venom duration overrides other poison lengths and forces all poisons to use its length instead.
Was this changed in a patch?
So if I built a bowazon and filled her entire stash with these:
trade/toxic-small-charm-of-pestilence-2 ... 45622.html

You're telling me that it would not be a viable option against bulk cows?

I remember 20 years ago, this is what everyone was trying to accomplish-
Windforce
+ poison sc's.

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
StonerSmurf wrote: 2 years ago
According to the link I posted it says Venom duration overrides other poison lengths and forces all poisons to use its length instead.
Was this changed in a patch?
Yes, it overrides every length of the items but it doesn't override the length of
Poison Dagger
but is added instead. This isn't a thing of D2R because it existed already in Legacy: diabloii.net POISON DAGGER + TREACHERY. It seem it was always this way. More details here: maxroll poison damage

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...