Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
14 replies   10265 views

Paladin auras - how many can be active at the same time?

No data yet

Description

Hello all,

maybe it's a stupid question, but here there are so many D2 experts and I want to be sure.

The question is,
can a paladin be affected by several paladin auras at the same time?
I've often read, that a paladin can only have one aura active. Or does it mean, that he can only activate one aura himself at the same time?

For example:
If my Paladin wears Last Wish with Might aura, Phoenix shield with
Redemption
aura and himself has
Fanaticism
active, are all three auras active then?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello all,

maybe it's a stupid question, but here there are so many D2 experts and I want to be sure.

The question is,
can a paladin be affected by several paladin auras at the same time?
I've often read, that a paladin can only have one aura active. Or does it mean, that he can only activate one aura himself at the same time?

For example:
If my Paladin wears Last Wish with Might aura, Phoenix shield with
Redemption
aura and himself has
Fanaticism
active, are all three auras active then?
Answeredby Schnorki3 months agoGo to post
You can be affected by multiple different auras but may only have 1 "skill-based" aura active at a time.

So basically:
- Your "active" aura is the one on your right button skill slot. This is limited to only one aura. (Oldschool aura shuffling aside but let's not get into that ^^)
- You can have additional, different auras from items such as dream or dragon at the same time.
- If you do use item auras, do note that item auras stack with other item auras (on the same character) to give you a higher level of the same aura but they do NOT stack with your actual skilled aura so while 2x dragon + HoJ would give you a lvl 44 holy fire total, you can't additionally activate a skilled lvl 30 aura to hit lvl 74. If you use the same aura from skills and items, whatever ends up the higher one wins out and the other is wasted.
- While using your own skill aura and/or item aura(s), you can still also be affected by and benefit from other characters' auras, be they merc or other player. Or mob in the case of offensive auras like conviction.
- With auras from others, the same rule applies - if the same aura would affect you more than once, the higher level wins.

Switch Friends Code: 6184-4783-6702

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
You can be affected by multiple different auras but may only have 1 "skill-based" aura active at a time.

So basically:
- Your "active" aura is the one on your right button skill slot. This is limited to only one aura. (Oldschool aura shuffling aside but let's not get into that ^^)
- You can have additional, different auras from items such as Dream or Dragon at the same time.
- If you do use item auras, do note that item auras stack with other item auras (on the same character) to give you a higher level of the same aura but they do NOT stack with your actual skilled aura so while 2x Dragon + HoJ would give you a lvl 44
Holy Fire
total, you can't additionally activate a skilled lvl 30 aura to hit lvl 74. If you use the same aura from skills and items, whatever ends up the higher one wins out and the other is wasted.
- While using your own skill aura and/or item aura(s), you can still also be affected by and benefit from other characters' auras, be they merc or other player. Or mob in the case of offensive auras like
Conviction
- With auras from others, the same rule applies - if the same aura would affect you more than once, the higher level wins.
This post was marked as the best answer.
OP
Wow, thank you very much for the detailed answer. It also answers all other possible questions!

Switch Friends Code: 6184-4783-6702
... and to make the already great Schnorki's answer complete:
Schnorki wrote: 3 months ago
- While using your own skill aura and/or item aura(s), you can still also be affected by and benefit from other characters' auras, be they merc or other player. Or mob in the case of offensive auras like
Conviction
Also from own or other players' minions other than merc (
Oak Sage
Heart of Wolverine
Spirit of Barbs
- not paladin auras, but still auras).

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
True enough.

Or more generally, simply "other units".
Interesting, so now I understand how Auradin/Shockadins work well. Also, you probably want to ensure your
Conviction
aura is higher than Uber Meph's. Has Schnorki written a D2 book yet?
Fresh Hammerdin here. Took me a while to figure this out, Hell to be precise.

You can be affected by multiple auras but you yourself, can only have ONE active. For an aura to be active, you have to map the skills buttons in a particular way. If you don't do it correctly, every time you attack, the aura will stop working and you won't benefit from it unless you stop attacking.

So.

Have your main attack skill on the movement button of the UI (left mouse button) and use force stop to force your Paladin to stop moving to hit whatever it is you want to hit. The auras will then be slotted into the skill button (right mouse button) and you can alternate between all of them, without them getting interrupted each time you hit something.
Katsabas wrote: 3 months ago
Fresh Hammerdin here. Took me a while to figure this out, Hell to be precise.

You can be affected by multiple auras but you yourself, can only have ONE active. For an aura to be active, you have to map the skills buttons in a particular way. If you don't do it correctly, every time you attack, the aura will stop working and you won't benefit from it unless you stop attacking.

So.

Have your main attack skill on the movement button of the UI (left mouse button) and use force stop to force your Paladin to stop moving to hit whatever it is you want to hit. The auras will then be slotted into the skill button (right mouse button) and you can alternate between all of them, without them getting interrupted each time you hit something.
I noticed something like this the other day when playing with my
Nova
sorc. I self-wield inifinity, and when teleporting it looks like the
Conviction
aura disappears and reappears the moment I stop teleporting. Is this just a display glitch, or does the aura truly stop working?

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
In the case of the paladin, the aura stops working because the skill got replaced momentarily with something else.

When I play with my Sorceress, I
Teleport
but I still benefit from
Concentration
when my Merc wields Insight. I don't know about what happens when you yourself wield an Infinity bc I haven't tried that yet :P

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Katsabas wrote: 3 months ago
FYI: You can map left-button skills to other keys/buttons than your left mouse button. If/when you do that, you can cast them much like the right button would, meaning you don't have to resort to force-stop.

Knappogue wrote: 3 months ago
I noticed something like this the other day when playing with my
Nova
sorc. I self-wield inifinity, and when teleporting it looks like the
Conviction
aura disappears and reappears the moment I stop teleporting. Is this just a display glitch, or does the aura truly stop working?
It shouldn't disappear, much like any other item-aura shouldn't disappear. They're independent of the skill-buttons. Is it possible you're talking about your
Conviction
affecting mobs you just teleported to, rather than seeing it on yourself? If so, that's a different thing. There will be a (variable) delay between you reaching a mob and said mob getting convicted as
Conviction
(much like any aura) doesn't apply instantly, it only (re-)applies with each aura tick interval.
"Instant aura application" only happens the instant you actually switch to one as your new active RMB skill. Apart from that, you're waiting for the next tick.

It shouldn't disappear, much like any other item-aura shouldn't disappear. They're independent of the skill-buttons. Is it possible you're talking about your
Conviction
affecting mobs you just teleported to, rather than seeing it on yourself? If so, that's a different thing. There will be a (variable) delay between you reaching a mob and said mob getting convicted as
Conviction
(much like any aura) doesn't apply instantly, it only (re-)applies with each aura tick interval.
"Instant aura application" only happens the instant you actually switch to one as your new active RMB skill. Apart from that, you're waiting for the next tick.
Maybe it's a console thing? I haven't tested it on PC. But yes, I'm referring to seeing it on myself and not mobs. When teleporting it disappears. When I stop teleporting it reappears (on myself) and makes the sounds of when a new aura is activated. It does the same thing with my hdin and his
Concentration
aura when I'm teleporting. Unfortunately, due to the nature of it, I can't pause mid-
Teleport
and check my character screen stats to see if the bonus isn't being applied while teleporting or if it is being applied and it's just a display glitch.

For informational purposes: When playing on console you can map skills and auras to pretty much any button you want. There is no "left-click/right-click" skill. Think about it like being able to use/activate (NOT map) any skill by pushing any button on your keyboard. You can activate an aura with any mapped-button click and that aura stays active regardless of other buttons you click (unless to specifically deactivate the aura or engage a different one). For my hdin
Concentration
is always just 'active'. Hammer attack is right-trigger and
Teleport
is left-trigger and right-trigger simultaneously. No where in that sequence is
Concentration
toggled. Yet only when casting the
Teleport
skill, the aura display disappears and then the 'aura-engaged' sounds happen when I stop teleporting.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Interesting. Sounds like they actively broke it on consoles then.

For the hdin, it makes sense because you're talking about an active aura. In terms of D2 (non-console) controls, you only have two main categories for actively triggered skills (i.e. no
Belt
stuffs and such): left and right (mouse button).

A number of skills, including auras and
Teleport
, can only be assigned to the right button slot, not the left one. That's why when you
Teleport
, your right button is blocked by
Teleport
, turning off your aura until you release the
Teleport
button.
In the olden days, before they introduced auto/quick skill casting in early D2:R, this was blatantly obvious because you had to manually switch your aura slot to
Teleport
, then cast
Teleport
, then manually switch back to your aura. Quick-cast, despite saving you the manual skill switching, doesn't change that Principle. It effectively fakes a skill switch, switching your RMB from aura to
Teleport
, casting it until let go and then switching it back to what it was before (that's why you see the icon change).

I would have assumed that same Principle holds true on console, simply because it is a far easier adaptation than actually changing the core skill-slot assignments/mechanics and whatnot. Plus it keeps the behavior the same/balanced between console and PC. Though it is blizz so I'll say it was solely because it is the easier way out. ;)

For the sorc wielding Infinity though, that doesn't apply as you never assign
Conviction
to any slot. It is simply perma-granted by the item. And on PC, it most certainly does not turn off. Case and point: (
Conviction
+
Holy Shock
both still active mid-
Teleport
)

Since console controls are inherently different though, my guess is that rather than enforcing hidden slots in the background, they took the earlier mentioned easy way out..and made it unnecessarily complicated after all, introducing some sort of hidden switching by skill type instead of by slot assignment. In that case, it'd simply count auras as auras (regardless of whether they're a skill or item bonus) and simply turn them all off while teleporting as a result. Just guessing as to the real reason here but that's one possibility.

I do wonder though..if it is broken on consoles, how far does that go? If you
Teleport
from say the left side of a pally to his right (so staying in range of him) while he grants you an aura...does that aura, too get turned off for the
Teleport
? :o

Schnorki 3199Moderator

PC
Quick addition:
Just tested this with controller on PC and it still works the exact same as keyboard/mouse. Item auras stay on while teleporting. Active auras do not. So at least there, they seem to be faking the 2-button-system behind the scenes.

Why they then apparently made it even more complicated and treat console controllers differently from PC controllers...oh, who knows...
I was going to start off saying I "did some research", but in reality all I did was pay closer attention. I think my confusion with the self-wield Infinity sorc started off with noticing the aura/
Teleport
issue with my hdin.
My play style with my
Nova
sorc is lots of fast walking with routine single
Teleport
instances. This means I habitually leave my merc behind as I have much faster R/W. My merc uses Cure. Level 1
Cleansing
has a radius of 10.6 yards. I walk out of that aura's range regularly. So, when I
Teleport
, I bring him with me and I'm hearing the
Cleansing
aura reappear on myself. My
Conviction
aura was always there. Just hidden underneath Mercs
Meditation
(much further radius), and my own confirmation bias of thinking it wasn't there.
But now I also understand why
Concentration
disappears from my hdin. Thanks!

Is it possible you're talking about your
Conviction
Conviction
To be exact, that delay for all paladin auras is 2 seconds (50 frames - perdelay column in skills.txt). Enough to be noticed (and to annoy the player).
Surprisingly druid (minions') auras do not have any delay set, so they should be refreshed without delay (every frame?) - probably an oversight?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...