No data yet

Description

The new mechanics for summoning
Diablo Clone
(NOT to be confused with
Uber Diablo
found in
Uber Tristram
) have now been revealed in the Ladder/2.4 PTR patch notes. I have edited out the confusing naming from the blue post:
Blizzard wrote:
The way that players summon
Diablo Clone
in Diablo II: Resurrected today will remain the same as it was first introduced in v1.10, by selling
Stone of Jordan
rings. However, we have made some changes to how and where that progress is calculated that we hope will make the experience better for the entire community. We’re eager to hear your feedback!

Diablo Clone
progress for each game type will now be kept by the regional database. When the threshold is met by selling enough
Stone of Jordan
rings,
Diablo Clone
will spawn for everyone in the same region, not only those on the same server instance.

Progress towards
Diablo Clone
is now tracked per game type. Giving us a total of 8 progressions being tracked. Those being Classic, Classic Hardcore (HC), Classic Ladder, Classic HC Ladder, Expansion, Expansion HC, Expansion Ladder, Expansion HC Ladder.

Given this change, we have added new messaging for players to help them anticipate when
Diablo Clone
may spawn. This messaging will be sent out to all players in the region at certain tiers of progress, and can be manually checked by using a /uberdiablo chat command. We hope these changes allow more players to get to experience the true terror that is
Diablo Clone
TLDR; He is now a region-wide spawn dependent on region-wide selling of
Stone of Jordan
to merchants. All combinations of NL/Ladder, SC/HC, Exp/Non-Exp and Region are tracked separately. Track his progress here.
The /uberdiablo chat command will be very handy, but I wish they had made the progress messages more granular (number of SoJ sold would have been far better); the current messages are rather vague and indistinguishable:

Introducing the Dclone Progress Tracker
A universal progress tracker and
Stone of Jordan
trade aggregator tool for Resurrected 2.4.
Check it out!
I decided with some help from @Schnorki to build out this tool as a simple solution for coordinating data on Dclone walks.
It's very simplistic right now but it will help people get together and kill
Diablo Clone
, and make the process of hunting him a bit easier.
You can start reporting as soon as 2.4 drops :)

Please note, there is now also a Public API available if you want to make notifiers/discord bots/other scripts using the data here!

In-game progress messages for
Diablo Clone
event:

1) Terror gazes upon Sanctuary.
2) Terror approaches Sanctuary.
3) Terror begins to form within Sanctuary.
4) Terror spreads across Sanctuary.
5) Terror is about to be unleashed upon Sanctuary.
6) Diablo has invaded Sanctuary.

How to experience a
Diablo Clone
walk in D2R in 2022

Experiencing a walk is a lot easier than it was pre-2.4, but you still need to be on your toes if you want to get your
Annihilus
. There are generally two types of walk that can happen: those that are planned, and those that are not (emergent).

Planned walks are usually coordinated sales of
Stone of Jordan
, organised by twitch streamers and discord communities such as FGNewb's House and D2R Clone Hunters, with the aim of intentionally spawning
Diablo Clone
by centralising all SoJ to one character and then vendoring them. These walks are sometimes announced publicly, sometimes they are 'private' (only contributors of SoJ know the region and game mode). Even if a planned walk is private, you may be able to predict which mode and region is the likeliest, based on the current tracker status and the highest progression level so far.

Unplanned walks are everything else - whether that's steady progression over time, random unknown but intentional bulk vendoring of SoJ etc. Typically what happens is a region gets high enough through steady SoJ vendoring progression, then when it hits 3/6, an organised operation will begin to make it 'pop'. To improve your chances of getting
Diablo Clone
in your game, you'll want to get notifications of Dclone progress status through one of the listed API-powered apps, monitor chatter in the record keeping topic, and keep an eye on the Discords linked above.

Remember, make your game when it hits 4/6 and stay in it. Sometimes the period between 4/6 and 6/6 (walking) is incredibly short, if you try and join 5 mins after seeing 5/6 for example you're already too late. If you need help taking him down, ask in the Dclone Help! sticky or look for offers in the player services section. You may find someone kind enough to do it for free, but it's good practise to give something in exchange regardless. Happy dclone hunting :)
Known bugs with the in-game /uberdiablo command

@Schnorki has explained the various in-game bugs with the /uberdiablo command in this topic. There are 3 known bugs at the moment, one where progress gets 'stuck', another where it shows progress for different regions and game modes, and lastly a different value in lobby vs in-game. Read this topic carefully as ignorance of it can lead to you unwittingly submitting false reports to the tracker.
How to use the diablo2.io Dclone Progress Tracker

The tool is very simple, and like much of the data here, relies on voluntary inputs from visitors. At least for now! :)
You don't have to be registered to submit a progress report by the way. All you do is this:

1. Go to the tracker and filter to find your game mode
2. Click the 'Progress' button
3. Select which message you see in your /uberdiablo chat command
4. Click 'Update'

And that's it! The progress level for that region/game mode combination will update.
You can see how many reports you have made on your profile.
Why do I see
Stone of Jordan
from other regions after filtering?

Because you can trade across regions in Resurrected, making regional filtering in this case nonsensical.
Why are there platform options? It doesn't matter for Dclone?

Because trading between platforms (ie from PC directly to Switch) is not possible in Resurrected, so the filters exist to help people find SoJ they can buy (or sell).
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
The new mechanics for summoning
Diablo Clone
(NOT to be confused with
Uber Diablo
found in
Uber Tristram
) have now been revealed in the Ladder/2.4 PTR patch notes. I have edited out the confusing naming from the blue post:
Blizzard wrote:
The way that players summon
Diablo Clone
in Diablo II: Resurrected today will remain the same as it was first introduced in v1.10, by selling
Stone of Jordan
rings. However, we have made some changes to how and where that progress is calculated that we hope will make the experience better for the entire community. We’re eager to hear your feedback!

Diablo Clone
progress for each game type will now be kept by the regional database. When the threshold is met by selling enough
Stone of Jordan
rings,
Diablo Clone
will spawn for everyone in the same region, not only those on the same server instance.

Progress towards
Diablo Clone
is now tracked per game type. Giving us a total of 8 progressions being tracked. Those being Classic, Classic Hardcore (HC), Classic Ladder, Classic HC Ladder, Expansion, Expansion HC, Expansion Ladder, Expansion HC Ladder.

Given this change, we have added new messaging for players to help them anticipate when
Diablo Clone
may spawn. This messaging will be sent out to all players in the region at certain tiers of progress, and can be manually checked by using a /uberdiablo chat command. We hope these changes allow more players to get to experience the true terror that is
Diablo Clone
TLDR; He is now a region-wide spawn dependent on region-wide selling of
Stone of Jordan
to merchants. All combinations of NL/Ladder, SC/HC, Exp/Non-Exp and Region are tracked separately. Track his progress here.
The /uberdiablo chat command will be very handy, but I wish they had made the progress messages more granular (number of SoJ sold would have been far better); the current messages are rather vague and indistinguishable:

Introducing the Dclone Progress Tracker
A universal progress tracker and
Stone of Jordan
trade aggregator tool for Resurrected 2.4.
Check it out!
I decided with some help from @Schnorki to build out this tool as a simple solution for coordinating data on Dclone walks.
It's very simplistic right now but it will help people get together and kill
Diablo Clone
, and make the process of hunting him a bit easier.
You can start reporting as soon as 2.4 drops :)

Please note, there is now also a Public API available if you want to make notifiers/discord bots/other scripts using the data here!

In-game progress messages for
Diablo Clone
event:

1) Terror gazes upon Sanctuary.
2) Terror approaches Sanctuary.
3) Terror begins to form within Sanctuary.
4) Terror spreads across Sanctuary.
5) Terror is about to be unleashed upon Sanctuary.
6) Diablo has invaded Sanctuary.

How to experience a
Diablo Clone
walk in D2R in 2022

Experiencing a walk is a lot easier than it was pre-2.4, but you still need to be on your toes if you want to get your
Annihilus
. There are generally two types of walk that can happen: those that are planned, and those that are not (emergent).

Planned walks are usually coordinated sales of
Stone of Jordan
, organised by twitch streamers and discord communities such as FGNewb's House and D2R Clone Hunters, with the aim of intentionally spawning
Diablo Clone
by centralising all SoJ to one character and then vendoring them. These walks are sometimes announced publicly, sometimes they are 'private' (only contributors of SoJ know the region and game mode). Even if a planned walk is private, you may be able to predict which mode and region is the likeliest, based on the current tracker status and the highest progression level so far.

Unplanned walks are everything else - whether that's steady progression over time, random unknown but intentional bulk vendoring of SoJ etc. Typically what happens is a region gets high enough through steady SoJ vendoring progression, then when it hits 3/6, an organised operation will begin to make it 'pop'. To improve your chances of getting
Diablo Clone
in your game, you'll want to get notifications of Dclone progress status through one of the listed API-powered apps, monitor chatter in the record keeping topic, and keep an eye on the Discords linked above.

Remember, make your game when it hits 4/6 and stay in it. Sometimes the period between 4/6 and 6/6 (walking) is incredibly short, if you try and join 5 mins after seeing 5/6 for example you're already too late. If you need help taking him down, ask in the Dclone Help! sticky or look for offers in the player services section. You may find someone kind enough to do it for free, but it's good practise to give something in exchange regardless. Happy dclone hunting :)
Known bugs with the in-game /uberdiablo command

@Schnorki has explained the various in-game bugs with the /uberdiablo command in this topic. There are 3 known bugs at the moment, one where progress gets 'stuck', another where it shows progress for different regions and game modes, and lastly a different value in lobby vs in-game. Read this topic carefully as ignorance of it can lead to you unwittingly submitting false reports to the tracker.
How to use the diablo2.io Dclone Progress Tracker

The tool is very simple, and like much of the data here, relies on voluntary inputs from visitors. At least for now! :)
You don't have to be registered to submit a progress report by the way. All you do is this:

1. Go to the tracker and filter to find your game mode
2. Click the 'Progress' button
3. Select which message you see in your /uberdiablo chat command
4. Click 'Update'

And that's it! The progress level for that region/game mode combination will update.
You can see how many reports you have made on your profile.
Why do I see
Stone of Jordan
from other regions after filtering?

Because you can trade across regions in Resurrected, making regional filtering in this case nonsensical.
Why are there platform options? It doesn't matter for Dclone?

Because trading between platforms (ie from PC directly to Switch) is not possible in Resurrected, so the filters exist to help people find SoJ they can buy (or sell).

niiiiiiice

Sweet Lovely Death
Just waiting for your breath
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
dang...personally not a fan of this. i liked that the anni was an elusive and gg item...and the actual experience of dclone even more so. but, this certainly means everyone gets an anni & plenty of chances to kill dclone

Generally seeking: runes, keys, essences, max dmg/AR/life charms
I thought they would have trolled us big time switching from soj to bul-khatos

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
...confused why SOJ is still the trigger when the original purpose was to remove dupes from the market? Big fan of regional spawn vs. server spawn. Makes me wonder, though, if it will have the opposite effect, i.e. groups not dumping SOJs because it's a regional thing, so why spend your own SOJs instead of just waiting? Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

All prices negotiable. BIN always wins. Americas (Pacific), but int'l trade times can be arranged.
So will the global online community jump on to whichever region is close - eg NA / EU servers sit empty while everyone on Asia servers waiting for a few extra SOJ to sell?

And yeah hopefully theres enough mega rich folk wanting to give back to d2 community by selling their SOJs...
Its gonna be interesting to see if a regional event can be organized so that players donate their SOJs and spawn it, but this time there is no exclusivity.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
Sorry but that's still stupid. The problem is SOJ rings are now worth so much you can just trade them for an anni now. The price of an anni will go down to less than the worth of a SOJ and nobody will want to sell a SOJ just to *maybe* get a chance at an anni.

Maybe they should put those useless standard of heros tokens to use for this purpose since people will actually take advantage of that. I'll just keep my SOJ thanks.

Brewdiver#1418
Im fine with this. Don't really care much about the economy of SOJs or Anni. Just want to play dat content!
OP

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
As others have pointed out in the main patch notes topic, there's no mention of fixing the issue with people using multiple copies per IP to farm the shit out of
Annihilus
. I think that could have and should have been addressed.

Donno why multiplayer can't just have Dclone spawn in the same game that a person sells 1 SoJ to the merchant in, just like in single player. You could even still have
Uber Diablo
spawn region-wide once, like 1000 SoJs were sold. A rare but free
Uber Diablo
for everyone else.

Better yet, just make only 1
Standard of Heroes
drop per
Uber Tristram
, and have Dclone spawn in your game if you put, like, 8
Standard of Heroes
and a
Ohm
rune in the cube.

Or whatever. I still think this mechanic is stupid, but I think it should be an improvement.
Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
As others have pointed out in the main patch notes topic, there's no mention of fixing the issue with people using multiple copies per IP to farm the shit out of
Annihilus
. I think that could have and should have been addressed.
Are you suggesting Blizzard would deliberately reduce the value of people buying additional copies of game?

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
I agree with the sentiment that the change is nice, but this still isn't good enough. I don't think the 'selling SoJs to vendors' thing fits a game that no longer has an endless supply of duped SoJs in the market to drain. Yeah, it addresses the fact that only a few people with hundreds of copies of the game can currently spawn dClone, but I still don't like it. They should have tied it to the
Standard of Heroes
somehow, drop a load of them into a cube, or something like that.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
sweabs wrote: 2 years ago
dang...personally not a fan of this. i liked that the anni was an elusive and gg item...and the actual experience of dclone even more so. but, this certainly means everyone gets an anni & plenty of chances to kill dclone
I'm fine with it being rare, expensive, and hard to get. But there is no dClone experience anymore. Udyret's post in the database sums it up well enough, but essentially the only people killing dClone now are a handful of people with 100+ copies of D2. Even the niche community of dClone walking discord servers with a 2-SoJ buy-in are gone now. There definitely needs to be a change.
Udyret wrote:

Interesting insight on Diablo Clone Walks by Mirrormn

I've participated a little bit in the back rooms where DClone walks are getting organized, so let me tell you exactly what has been going on:

People are using firewall rules and running on specific regions (Europe or Asia/Mumbai) to target specific sets of IPs. This may be why casual NA users do not ever see DClone walk on their own.

"Multis" are WAY easier to set up than in original Diablo 2. This is because in original Diablo 2, you needed a different IP address for each client you were connecting with, while in D2R, you only need a unique account for each new client. There are programs out there that allow you to launch multiple clients on a single computer - they're not popularly discussed because there is a profit motive in preventing casuals from doing this, so most people who know how to do it have no reason to teach anyone else. But they're out there, and freely available.

A single Anni is worth more than an entire copy of D2R (roughly, prices keep changing over time, and methods of converting items into real money have different efficiency, but this certainly is true in many cases). This means that the profit motive for getting additional clients into DClone walks is roughly unlimited. For each copy of D2 you buy, if you can get a single additional Anni out of it, it basically has already paid off.

People who organize walks have no way of knowing how many clients you're bringing. People who have tons of clients benefit paying a small buy-in and then trying to squeeze their 10-20+ clients into the one hot IP. There is a huge profit motive in doing this, and no real way to stop it.

Because multi-client users are trying to use up all the spots on a hot server, single-client users who pay SoJs to buy in have a higher chance of getting screwed and not finding a game.

Also, because the multi-clienters farm Annis so hard and have them in bulk, they've depressed the market to the point where an Anni is worth less than 2 SoJs.

As these trends continue, it becomes less and less viable for "traditional" DClone hunting - where you have a single client, pay 2 SoJs, and get 1 Anni out of it - to run at all. Traditional DClone hunting is basically dead at this point as a result.

Instead, there is a new method of DClone hunting where a single person collects 100+ clients that they control entirely; they privately choose an IP and get all their clients onto that IP without telling anyone else about it; and then they sell these games to people for a set SoJ price (last I saw was 3 SoJs for 2 games), and do the walk once they've collected everyone's SoJs. The one person in control of everything passes out as many games as they need to to raise the SoJs needed for the walk, and then any clients/games they have beyond that are pure profit. As far as I know, this is the only form of DClone walking (beyond large public events done by streamers) that is viable right now.

So, we've reached a point where Annis are basically completely controlled by an extremely small number of people (I know of ~4, perhaps there are more) who can afford to invest thousands of dollars into running over 100 copies of D2R at a time. Of course, these people almost certainly sell all/most of their Annis for real money, because why else would you invest so much money into the scheme to begin with?

Everything that was originally interesting or fun about DClone walking is completely broken now. It was already in a pretty terrible place when D2R released because of the high price of SoJs (since there are no duped ones hanging around now), but the paradigm that has evolved out of the capability to run an unlimited number of clients on a single IP address has destroyed even the niche community of DClone hunting that used to exist.

The whole mechanic is completely non-functional now. If Blizzard allows Ladder to go live with current DClone mechanics, the only thing they will accomplish is to make these people who have invested in these 100+ client setups very very rich, as they will be in a position to control the vast majority of Ladder Annis in the whole world. It needs to be changed.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
sweabs wrote: 2 years ago
I'm fine with it being rare, expensive, and hard to get. But there is no dClone experience anymore. Udyret's post in the database sums it up well enough, but essentially the only people killing dClone now are a handful of people with 100+ copies of D2. Even the niche community of dClone walking discord servers with a 2-SoJ buy-in are gone now. There definitely needs to be a change.
Udyret wrote:

I've participated a little bit in the back rooms where DClone walks are getting organized, so let me tell you exactly what has been going on:

People are using firewall rules and running on specific regions (Europe or Asia/Mumbai) to target specific sets of IPs. This may be why casual NA users do not ever see DClone walk on their own.

"Multis" are WAY easier to set up than in original Diablo 2. This is because in original Diablo 2, you needed a different IP address for each client you were connecting with, while in D2R, you only need a unique account for each new client. There are programs out there that allow you to launch multiple clients on a single computer - they're not popularly discussed because there is a profit motive in preventing casuals from doing this, so most people who know how to do it have no reason to teach anyone else. But they're out there, and freely available.

A single Anni is worth more than an entire copy of D2R (roughly, prices keep changing over time, and methods of converting items into real money have different efficiency, but this certainly is true in many cases). This means that the profit motive for getting additional clients into DClone walks is roughly unlimited. For each copy of D2 you buy, if you can get a single additional Anni out of it, it basically has already paid off.

People who organize walks have no way of knowing how many clients you're bringing. People who have tons of clients benefit paying a small buy-in and then trying to squeeze their 10-20+ clients into the one hot IP. There is a huge profit motive in doing this, and no real way to stop it.

Because multi-client users are trying to use up all the spots on a hot server, single-client users who pay SoJs to buy in have a higher chance of getting screwed and not finding a game.

Also, because the multi-clienters farm Annis so hard and have them in bulk, they've depressed the market to the point where an Anni is worth less than 2 SoJs.

As these trends continue, it becomes less and less viable for "traditional" DClone hunting - where you have a single client, pay 2 SoJs, and get 1 Anni out of it - to run at all. Traditional DClone hunting is basically dead at this point as a result.

Instead, there is a new method of DClone hunting where a single person collects 100+ clients that they control entirely; they privately choose an IP and get all their clients onto that IP without telling anyone else about it; and then they sell these games to people for a set SoJ price (last I saw was 3 SoJs for 2 games), and do the walk once they've collected everyone's SoJs. The one person in control of everything passes out as many games as they need to to raise the SoJs needed for the walk, and then any clients/games they have beyond that are pure profit. As far as I know, this is the only form of DClone walking (beyond large public events done by streamers) that is viable right now.

So, we've reached a point where Annis are basically completely controlled by an extremely small number of people (I know of ~4, perhaps there are more) who can afford to invest thousands of dollars into running over 100 copies of D2R at a time. Of course, these people almost certainly sell all/most of their Annis for real money, because why else would you invest so much money into the scheme to begin with?

Everything that was originally interesting or fun about DClone walking is completely broken now. It was already in a pretty terrible place when D2R released because of the high price of SoJs (since there are no duped ones hanging around now), but the paradigm that has evolved out of the capability to run an unlimited number of clients on a single IP address has destroyed even the niche community of DClone hunting that used to exist.

The whole mechanic is completely non-functional now. If Blizzard allows Ladder to go live with current DClone mechanics, the only thing they will accomplish is to make these people who have invested in these 100+ client setups very very rich, as they will be in a position to control the vast majority of Ladder Annis in the whole world. It needs to be changed.
I suspected something like this was happening, but I didn't think it was THIS bad. Holy cow. Thanks for sharing.
Also, yeah, tying DClone to selling SOJs in D2R makes no sense.
Udyret wrote:

"Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."
Blizzard wrote:
Multiboxing is not a violation of our End User License Agreement.
Of course it is not. Each "box" is money for you, greedy bastards.

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
I'm admittedly slightly surprised they stuck with SoJs as the trigger. Curious to see if the amount needed is also still the same.

Then again, they may just be too incompetent to change the trigger to something else without breaking all of the old code. :)

As is, I'm rather curious to see how far that drops SoJ prices and how often we'll actually see DClone walks. If you can't control the IP/games, the value of resulting annis drops massively, in turn making the trigger SoJs worth less and less as well. At the same time, SoJs do have their own use and are still fairly rare so asking people to randomly vendor them for ever-decreasing
Annihilus
values may be a bit iffy.
If and how well that works can really only ever be observed in the live environment though. No amount of PTR testing will ever tell you how many "real, live SoJs" people would be willing to part with to help with triggering a regional walk.

Either way, @Teebling : Any chance you have someone savvy on your team to hook into the new command and get a live tracker for each region/game type going on the site here? :D
Meh, could not be the optimal solution but still i think it s better that what it is now. As a normal player of the game, who dropped 1 soj in my whole d2 life (and i consider myself lucky for that), i couldn t pay the fee to participate in a
Diablo Clone
spawn, i never ever saw the message of a soj being traded, let alone
Diablo Clone
walking in a game of mine. In the worst case, this won't change anything for me and i think thousands of guys like me, in the best case, i/we might have that slight chance to duel the only one monster that never crossed my/our path. So, after all, i am quite ok with what they are doing.

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
I think anni is overrated anyway(It's a good item but the hype is just too much) and i'm a bit glad to see this item coming down a notch. If people don't sell SoJ to vendor, then we won't see d clone and it might make this item just as rare, we will see. the way it was before was too profitable. Now it becomes more like the old way, minus the dupes

Online mostly between the hours of 7pm to 12am EST ( US)
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago

If and how well that works can really only ever be observed in the live environment though. No amount of PTR testing will ever tell you how many "real, live SoJs" people would be willing to part with to help with triggering a regional walk.

Either way, @Teebling : Any chance you have someone savvy on your team to hook into the new command and get a live tracker for each region/game type going on the site here? :D
This would actually be really cool.

Online mostly between the hours of 7pm to 12am EST ( US)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...