Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
22 replies   4888 views

Description

A few months back I was discussing the fairness of the D2 market in a topic I created and an example was used I didn't question at the time..

"20 years ago I found a
Ber
in the
River of Flame
and I was so excited! I traded it for a
Shako
and it was a fair trade and I was happy with it"

Then I read the same thing in another topic discussing the same thing.. 20 years ago I found a
Ber
and traded for
Shako
.. (it is a different username)

I've since questioned how you can claim to have a full build and only require a
Shako
(fairly common drop) and also not understand the inherent (not subjective) value a
Ber
rune has compared to
Shako
in the game.. Just a made up story to prove their point..

If I need X for y and we both think it's a fair trade then done deal, right?

The new players, or players with a lack of knowledge about the game or even human beings with real life learning disabilities, social ineptitudes or developmental issues of which many people live with undiagnosed, still want to play, trade and be involved.

There are people out there that you expect to do research and reading.. some people didn't even make it through high school and for real reasons don't want to spend time reading a wiki to learn, but are not opposed to learning. Maybe they would be happy to speak with someone about it, but nobody has the time for anyone anymore...

People are so quick to think that all responsibility is on the individual but that's not how we got here in society... The general people, us, every person, we have to care about each other. That's how we got through many atrocities and events in history that I won't mention :)

Even in the world today I think this should resonate with what's been going on...

If someone offers way below a reasonable price I don't think there's a problem saying that's not how it works and asking for more.

Likewise if someone offers much more I don't think there should be a problem taking less and not taking advantage of the(m) reason for lack of knowledge

If you understand the values of runes and items in trading, then hey, good job. You must have enjoyed this game and put a lot of time into it in order to understand it.

Not everyone is at the same point in their journey, your knowledge about this game is valuable to those who don't have it..

Can be used to make Runewords:

A few months back I was discussing the fairness of the D2 market in a topic I created and an example was used I didn't question at the time..

"20 years ago I found a
Ber
in the
River of Flame
and I was so excited! I traded it for a
Shako
and it was a fair trade and I was happy with it"

Then I read the same thing in another topic discussing the same thing.. 20 years ago I found a
Ber
and traded for
Shako
.. (it is a different username)

I've since questioned how you can claim to have a full build and only require a
Shako
(fairly common drop) and also not understand the inherent (not subjective) value a
Ber
rune has compared to
Shako
in the game.. Just a made up story to prove their point..

If I need X for y and we both think it's a fair trade then done deal, right?

The new players, or players with a lack of knowledge about the game or even human beings with real life learning disabilities, social ineptitudes or developmental issues of which many people live with undiagnosed, still want to play, trade and be involved.

There are people out there that you expect to do research and reading.. some people didn't even make it through high school and for real reasons don't want to spend time reading a wiki to learn, but are not opposed to learning. Maybe they would be happy to speak with someone about it, but nobody has the time for anyone anymore...

People are so quick to think that all responsibility is on the individual but that's not how we got here in society... The general people, us, every person, we have to care about each other. That's how we got through many atrocities and events in history that I won't mention :)

Even in the world today I think this should resonate with what's been going on...

If someone offers way below a reasonable price I don't think there's a problem saying that's not how it works and asking for more.

Likewise if someone offers much more I don't think there should be a problem taking less and not taking advantage of the(m) reason for lack of knowledge

If you understand the values of runes and items in trading, then hey, good job. You must have enjoyed this game and put a lot of time into it in order to understand it.

Not everyone is at the same point in their journey, your knowledge about this game is valuable to those who don't have it..
Almost nothing's "fair" in life and you have to take care of yourself in this world that is filled with selfish animals of all kinds. There is maybe one in a hundred players who care about you, the rest would be happy to strip you down and take/steal all of your valuable items. This is especially true in an online environment where they can hide behind anonymity.
Antcoul345 wrote: 2 years ago
taking advantage of the(m) reason for lack of knowledge
Some types of traders (resellers) increase their Wealth by doing exactly that on purpose. To make things worse, they are more active on the market than average players who search for items only when they need something. Offering/paying 1-2 Ists for things that worth higher runes (
Ohm
/
Lo
+) isn't uncommon.
Generally, there is nothing wrong with making a profit of the supply/demand gap. Some people are willing to pay more to get an item quicker, others are willing to let an item go for cheap if it has no value for them.
I often don't have the patience or knowledge to squeeze out all the value of the items I'm selling.

However, where I have an issue is, if someone actively tries to manipulate a sale. I have received private messages with "Your items is worth only 1/20 of your asking price, you're insane for wanting more. If you accept right now I can give you 2/20 of your price."

When it comes to knowlegde about the value of an item (e.g.
Ber
>>
Shako
) it's a bit difficult. There is a bit of a difference between accepting an offered
Ber
for a
Shako
, or asking for a
Ber
for a
Shako
. I don't know how I feel about that, but the first one seems okay, the second one feels scammy.

All prices are negotiable.
All trades are Non-Ladder.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with a little profit.

I've actually stepped in and tried to stop some trades on this site because the sellers seemed to be new and the offers were ridiculous.

I actually got burned on a 3/x/x small charm early in my "career", so I know the feeling.

One of the sellers still went through with the trade even after several messages from myself and others.... I think it was a
Ber
for Nat's set and a few other throw away set items.

I tell you what's starting to bother me even more- resellers jacking prices up.

One could argue its a supply and demand issue, but I'm beginning to see people creating artificial price inflation by buying up all the specific items then raising prices

Case in point - 5/5 lightning facets. Yes, I've heard all the other arguments about end game items and that's why the price has gone up.... but, I've seen people buying them all up, then re-listing them.

It's a free country and they can do as they wish, but for someone looking for 4 of these, it's been a pain in the ass.

Prices range from
Ohm
+
Vex
all the way to
Sur
+
Ohm

Craziness.
It might be worth noting that early in the days when LoD was released there really weren't many high end runewords for the high runes to go toward. For example, Enigma wasn't in the game and none of the other super powerful runewords were either. However back then
Shako
was considered one of the best items for to the MF and plus skills. Hell, the 1.08 version of
Shako
, Grandfather,
Stormshield
and a few others were by and far the best items at the time compared to anything else. That quickly changed when they started releasing powerful runewords for ladder at some point, maybe 1.10? That guy could have been speaking of a time when a
Shako
was indeed better than a
Ber
... Because the runewords that made
Ber
valuable didn't exist yet.
What's funny is that I quit playing before all those 1.10 shenanigans, so this re-make is like a new game for me.

I do miss the good ole days when uniques actually meant something.

Nowadays I just throw away almost all of them.

(I did recently learn that a perfect ravenfrost can sell for a shit ton of money, now im thinking, damn, could've been trashing bers)
There once was a time where Hammerdins didn't exist. Frost Orb ruled the earth. Players clamored for poison small charms. Everyone had a duped/bugged
Windforce
bow.
dilbert383 wrote: 2 years ago
What's funny is that I quit playing before all those 1.10 shenanigans, so this re-make is like a new game for me.

I do miss the good ole days when uniques actually meant something.

Nowadays I just throw away almost all of them.

(I did recently learn that a perfect ravenfrost can sell for a shit ton of money, now im thinking, damn, could've been trashing bers)
I did know about perfect ravenfrost, but I had that same thing happen with
Wisp Projector
; I honestly thought that ring was
Charsi
food... Then I learned that they can go for many
Ist
, and the perfect ones even as high as
Sur
or even more.

I really hope I didn't
Charsi
a good one.

I also agree about the unique thing; I really wish they would do something with them. The OP runewords mean people won't really equip a lot of them, but I wish they would do something with them anyway. There would be many possible uses, if they think outside the box.
TRON wrote: 2 years ago
Almost nothing's "fair" in life and you have to take care of yourself in this world that is filled with selfish animals of all kinds. There is maybe one in a hundred players who care about you, the rest would be happy to strip you down and take/steal all of your valuable items. This is especially true in an online environment where they can hide behind anonymity.
Antcoul345 wrote: 2 years ago
taking advantage of the(m) reason for lack of knowledge
Some types of traders (resellers) increase their Wealth by doing exactly that on purpose. To make things worse, they are more active on the market than average players who search for items only when they need something. Offering/paying 1-2 Ists for things that worth higher runes (
Ohm
/
Lo
+) isn't uncommon.
If 20 years ago was before Enigma and Infinity, then
Ber
for
Shako
was certainly worth it.

I don’t know if you remember but high end uniques like Schaefer’s Hammer and
Windforce
were going for dozens of SOJs (
Windforce
was actually worth 40 SOJ) and
Ber
Runes were only used for damage reduction in PvP settings.
Some are taking this way too serious.... If someone is not going to take the time to understand the value of their items, that's on them.

In real life, I'm not going to pay full price for something that is on sale.

I can understand the frustration when someone buys up inventory of one item and then inflates it when reselling. There's someone right now buying as many Mara's as he can and selling them higher.
basicdad wrote: 2 years ago
Some are taking this way too serious.... If someone is not going to take the time to understand the value of their items, that's on them.
Diablo 2 is an insanely complicated game. Expecting a relatively new player to know every aspect of it - including trading that they are about to begin - is unreasonable. A rookie can be helped or exploited, the choice is yours. Interactions in a multiplayer video game are often very similar to those that happen in the game called "real life" and can have the same or similar effects on people.
basicdad wrote: 2 years ago
In real life, I'm not going to pay full price for something that is on sale.
It isn't a "discount" when a beginner severely undersells something due to lack of knowledge. It's a different situation when a typical shop/store provides discount, they know the value of the sold item much better than the average customer. IMO this is an issue only with fairly rare items worth
Ohm
/
Lo
or more, selling something like that for
Ist
is like selling a winning lottery ticket for peanuts and the buyers usually know very well what the situation is, many of them are actively looking for those situations on a frequent basis. Items worth less than
Ist
drop quite often and sold "at a discount" even by experienced players.
Diablo 2 is an insanely complicated game.
Diablo 2 is an insanely complicated game if you want to make it so.
If you enjoy playing it some hours of your spare time crushing demons all around, you might not care about exactly how many
Ist
could be worth an item you dropped but you have no use for. You are just happy there is a website that helps you get rid of it in exchange of something you can actually use, and you might not even care if on the other side of the screen there is something laughing for he took that
Sur
from you in exchange of a lowish torch.
You are happy as you can be because you now have your supersweet torch just for that stupid little Stone which would have needed 3
Jah
, a
Ber
and a
Mal
more, that you'll never get, to craft a (quite awesome) weapon.
Said that, if you know current values you should not rip off people, and if you do, you are less than a worthless parasite that deserves to see all of his chars deleted by mother Blizzard, but still diablo 2 remains a videogame.
Surely it is awesome and addictive, but still a videogame.
And don't call me Shirley.

Sweet Lovely Death
Just waiting for your breath
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
Steccothal wrote: 2 years ago
If you enjoy playing it some hours of your spare time crushing demons all around, you might not care about exactly how many
Ist
could be worth an item you dropped but you have no use for. You are just happy there is a website that helps you get rid of it in exchange of something you can actually use, and you might not even care if on the other side of the screen there is something laughing for he took that
Sur
You are happy as you can be because you now have your supersweet torch just for that stupid little Stone which would have needed 3
Jah
, a
Ber
and a
Mal
Said that, if you know current values you should not rip off people, and if you do, you are less than a worthless parasite that deserves to see all of his chars deleted by mother Blizzard, but still diablo 2 remains a videogame.
Agreed. Had some guy give me
Ohm
for a 14/10 ptorch then leave the game. Whispered him that he forgot his change.
Some people really don't know the value of things and will find a HR and go get what they have been wanting (torches a lot of the time) without knowing exactly how valuable the HR is. As those that know this information, it's our responsibility to ensure fair trades (but a little profit isn't a bad thing, just don't fleece someone).
FanciestCrab wrote: 2 years ago
Steccothal wrote: 2 years ago
Ist
Sur
Jah
, a
Ber
and a
Mal
Agreed. Had some guy give me
Ohm
for a 14/10 ptorch then leave the game. Whispered him that he forgot his change and got him into a game for the runes so he wasn't paying me 6x cost.
Some people really don't know the value of things and will find a HR and go get what they have been wanting (torches a lot of the time) without knowing exactly how valuable the HR is. As those that know this information, it's our responsibility to ensure fair trades (but a little profit isn't a bad thing, just don't fleece someone).
Ah well. I saw a game where someone was in search of a
Ribcracker
. I looked it up and saw that I maybe could get an
Ist
for it. But tbh I didnt care. So I joined the game, told him he should stop looking, i got him covered. Had to leave due to my daughters bed time readings and after an hour I joined him, gave him the
Ribcracker
and left. I really didnt care about getting an
Ist
or something (Im not rich IG/IRL). I just had fun makin someone happy.

He asked me later what he could pay me for it - I told him to join the diablo2.io community.

You may call it a bad deal. I call it my fun playing D2.

Yes Sir. I will stay a while and listen. Beer?
As the author pointed out, this is a game where people from all walks of life play. You may say “oh they should have looked up/known the value, their fault, I win”. Do you also enjoy beating up on mentally disabled people? Because that person very well could have been, and had no idea what they were doing. Have a little sense and compassion.

And yes resellers and low ballers are an extremely big issue. It’s like a society of ferangi in this game. Best thing we can do to prevent these assholes, is try and value items for people. If you see an item posted far under value, tell them the truth.
@dilbert383 - just noticed your comment on the nat's set for
Jah
. I was with you on that one with my comment... I guess / assume some people take it less seriously than others on that one? even though you could practically buy the whole holy grail of sets with a
Jah
:P

mhlg 837

Americas PC
This is a clear example of what's hurting the game and many other games as well. I found this post on Trust Pilot. Imagine spending $4000 to pay a game item seller to outfit and level your character, and then all you had to do was step in and take over. What's even more disturbing is that the buyer isn't angry about spending or losing $4K, he's angry about not getting what he wanted quicker. Who wants to duel or run with someone who's only interest is to use their money to dominate those with less?

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
Well, I don't think paying others to boost your account is a problem here, seems like you have a problem with those who want/need that things, you mention "Who wants to duel or run with someone who's only interest is to use their money to dominate those with less?" but how many times did you play with randoms that maybe used that services and you didn't know? Honestly I don't think that is hurting this game tbh.. There are people who back in the days played few hours a day and they want to play again and maybe they can't catch a nolifer hardcore player who spends 3-6hours a day,, and what makes you angry? If he buyed a service and they sign for "x" time to complete the task and didn't do it, he has his right to complain.. Not defending this case, but one day, if I see a game that I like or played before and want to play it at max level, and because of irl stuff I can't reach the "top" like others players who spend more than 40 hours a week, I probably end paying a friend/website for an account tbh, if I have the money ofc and if video games still my hobby🙄

At the end of the day, no one want to pay more for something that isn't worth it, and you don't want to get less of what you think it's valued.. This is for this game, and everything
And in terms of trade, I know people who want to make profit of people who doesn't have knowledge of trading, I was asking for price of an 3os
Archon Plate
and the seller first try was double the price, I played the "I don't have too much knowledge of price system" and then later he tried to do a bartering with his arplate vs my
Eth
titans (when they where at 8
Ber
around) so.. Take care, and if you think you have something valuable just ask for a price check for opinions and forget those who send pm's lol

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...