Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
53 replies   13619 views

Description

Hey all! I’m hoping to get some advise on my lightning sorc…

Currently I am using an oculus with 3 piece
Tal
set, Spirit, griffon’s, silk weave (for mana management),
Chance Guards
, soj, and
Raven Frost
. My merc has Infinity with Andy’s and a high defense Treachery.

I would like to build a pure damage / high clear speed sorc and wanted to get some input on gear combinations. I was thinking of using escutcha’s, griffons, Spirit, mara’s,
Arachnid Mesh
, silk weave
Boots
, soj,
Raven Frost
Magefist
. I’m unsure if I should go Chains of Honor or an upped vipermagi. Does the bonus damage to undead and demons apply to casters or only physical damage builds?

As a side note I have a torch, anni, and an assortment of magic find and resistance charms to compensate for whatever I need.

Thanks in advance!

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey all! I’m hoping to get some advise on my lightning sorc…

Currently I am using an oculus with 3 piece
Tal
set, Spirit, griffon’s, silk weave (for mana management),
Chance Guards
, soj, and
Raven Frost
. My merc has Infinity with Andy’s and a high defense Treachery.

I would like to build a pure damage / high clear speed sorc and wanted to get some input on gear combinations. I was thinking of using escutcha’s, griffons, Spirit, mara’s,
Arachnid Mesh
, silk weave
Boots
, soj,
Raven Frost
Magefist
. I’m unsure if I should go Chains of Honor or an upped vipermagi. Does the bonus damage to undead and demons apply to casters or only physical damage builds?

As a side note I have a torch, anni, and an assortment of magic find and resistance charms to compensate for whatever I need.

Thanks in advance!
currently using this setup for my daily MF runs...

engima for body would be better i guess...

Hoto / Enigma / maras / 2x sojs / arachnid /
War Traveler
/ chance guard / Spirit

GMT +8 TimeZone
OP
JoOs7eR wrote: 2 years ago

War Traveler
/ chance guard / Spirit
Nice damage… are those all lightning skillers? Enigma is kind of steep for a character with
Teleport
ability but I’ll consider it. I thought COH would be nice for the resistances.
Crushnasty wrote: 2 years ago
JoOs7eR wrote: 2 years ago

War Traveler
/ chance guard / Spirit
Nice damage… are those all lightning skillers? Enigma is kind of steep for a character with
Teleport
ability but I’ll consider it. I thought COH would be nice for the resistances.
6 lightning skillers.

i dont pump
Teleport
on my sorc tho , beside Enigma boost a huge amount of mf... coh is viable but i just choose Enigma over it

GMT +8 TimeZone

Feel free to check all my trades
Add me Standinsoe#2129 for fast trade

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
First off: No, dmg to demons/undead does not apply to your spells. That's basically just a different form of ED for physical attacks.

Secondly, why
Raven
?! For the minor amount of mana, another SoJ beats it hands down. You're probably not going for max block with a Spirit so the dex can't be it. And cannot be frozen is pretty much irrelevant for a sorc because being frozen doesn't slow down casting. Unless you for some reason walk instead of
Teleport
?

An obvious way to buff up your damage is to slap a Fortitude onto your merc for those times where he does have to help.

Also, what have you socketed into your Griffon/Oculus/
Tal
Armor? The reason I'm asking is because if you added facets to those, then your Griffon is actually holding you back on any non-lightresist mob. The reason for that is that reducing resistance is capped at -100. You cannot take any target mob below that. Since your Infinity adds a lvl 12
Conviction
, every mob without light resist (which would typically be most of the masses) is already at -85. Add 3 facets and you're at the -100
Cap
. The -res on your Griffon at that point is completely worthless on those mobs and the +dmg is not enough to make up for only having +1 skill. You're actually better off using a Harlequin or +3
Circlet
at that point to buff up your damage. That's speaking purely in terms of raw dmg, not considering the cast speed loss for replacing griffon's (which could be made up elsewhere).
If your farming routes do include a lot of light immunes or mobs with light resistances though, then yeah, keep Griffon's. Depends a bit on where you usually farm.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago
First off: No, dmg to demons/undead does not apply to your spells. That's basically just a different form of ED for physical attacks.

Secondly, why
Raven
?! For the minor amount of mana, another SoJ beats it hands down. You're probably not going for max block with a Spirit so the dex can't be it. And cannot be frozen is pretty much irrelevant for a sorc because being frozen doesn't slow down casting. Unless you for some reason walk instead of
Teleport
?

An obvious way to buff up your damage is to slap a Fortitude onto your merc for those times where he does have to help.

Also, what have you socketed into your Griffon/Oculus/
Tal
Armor? The reason I'm asking is because if you added facets to those, then your Griffon is actually holding you back on any non-lightresist mob. The reason for that is that reducing resistance is capped at -100. You cannot take any target mob below that. Since your Infinity adds a lvl 12
Conviction
, every mob without light resist (which would typically be most of the masses) is already at -85. Add 3 facets and you're at the -100
Cap
. The -res on your Griffon at that point is completely worthless on those mobs and the +dmg is not enough to make up for only having +1 skill. You're actually better off using a Harlequin or +3
Circlet
at that point to buff up your damage. That's speaking purely in terms of raw dmg, not considering the cast speed loss for replacing griffon's (which could be made up elsewhere).
If your farming routes do include a lot of light immunes or mobs with light resistances though, then yeah, keep Griffon's. Depends a bit on where you usually farm.
You make a good point on the
Raven Frost
versus 2nd soj.

Fortitude on my merc was on my to do list but not highest priority at the moment. He has good survivability with
Fade
procced.

I was planning on adding lite facets to my griffon’s and escutha’s. I’m still farming runes to trade for those.

I currently farm a wide variety of areas and I want to keep my options open in terms of different immunities.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Yeah, if you're spread out, keeping a bit of extra -res isn't a bad call. After all, soon as you do hit light immunes, the difference is more than noticable.

One thing to keep in mind is that Eschuta's is not as much of a dmg boost as one may think. That's because the 20% light dmg on it don't just increase your dmg by 20%. They get added to your
Lightning Mastery
dmg increase. So if you already have say a lvl 42 light mastery, you do 642% of your normal dmg. Adding a 20% Eschuta's to that would put you at 662% which is actually only about a 3% increase. The same is true for the +dmg on facets, griffon's,
Ormus
and so on. The more of those you stack on top of one another, the less of a difference they each make individually.
Not saying Eschuta's is a bad choice, quite the opposite, but depending on your overall gear setup the extra ~3% dmg may sometimes not be worth what you give up for it (e.g. 40 res from hoto, mf from oculus, ...).
OP
Yeah, if you're spread out, keeping a bit of extra -res isn't a bad call. After all, soon as you do hit light immunes, the difference is more than noticable.

One thing to keep in mind is that Eschuta's is not as much of a dmg boost as one may think. That's because the 20% light dmg on it don't just increase your dmg by 20%. They get added to your
Lightning Mastery
dmg increase. So if you already have say a lvl 42 light mastery, you do 642% of your normal dmg. Adding a 20% Eschuta's to that would put you at 662% which is actually only about a 3% increase. The same is true for the +dmg on facets, griffon's,
Ormus
and so on. The more of those you stack on top of one another, the less of a difference they each make individually.
Not saying Eschuta's is a bad choice, quite the opposite, but depending on your overall gear setup the extra ~3% dmg may sometimes not be worth what you give up for it (e.g. 40 res from hoto, mf from oculus, ...).
Thanks for the input. The reason I was considering COH is because I found a 3/18 escutchas a couple weeks ago. Thus I wouldn’t have to farm the runes to make a HOTO. And COH would make up for the resistances that hoto would normally provide.
Thanks for the input. The reason I was considering COH is because I found a 3/18 escutchas a couple weeks ago. Thus I wouldn’t have to farm the runes to make a HOTO. And COH would make up for the resistances that hoto would normally provide.
I've used both, and I would recommend HOTO 11 times out of 10 over Eschutas. The damage looks good on paper, but all of the other bonuses given by HOTO (+mana, all res, replenish life) to me beats out the Eschutas, and the Enigma definitely over COH (HOTO mostly makes up for the res, and you get the added MF, damage reduction, faster run walk, LAEK, damage to mana, etc).

My typical setup is Griffons (have not socketed yet), HOTO, Enigma, 35fcr Spirit, Arachnid, Dual Nagel with
Nature's Peace
(I don't have a SoJ, otherwise I'd use two of those,
Nature's Peace
just makes Nihl and WSK runs have a little better quality of life), and War Travs/
Eth
Sandstorm Treks. Merc runs Infinity, Fortitude (non
Eth
, have only made one and I also use Fortitude on my
Smite
Pally), and Andy's Visage. Have Torch, Anni, 5 light skillers, Gheeds, Cube and leave a 2x4 area in stash for picking up stuff while MF'ing (again, just QoL for me). I could gear differently and increase my damage output, but I clear pretty damn fast already so I don't worry too much about it.

Zebot 70

Paladin Americas PC

Lightning Mastery
Ormus
I would also highly recommend Enigma over COH. I have both, was using Enigma and made the COH for my light sorc who is fully geared. Wanted more resistances. Turns out the +life per kill from Enigma makes a huge quality of life difference. I gave the COH to my smiter.

Asha 350

Sorceress Europe PC
Raised a lightning sorc myself. Griffon, CoH, arach, soj's, mara, some skillers, and Infinity
Scythe
(wields herself). Pretty much nice setup - charged
Bolts
alone do the job while maxed
Telekinesis
provides hard
Energy Shield
to stay safe. Just requires some reaction to navigate - but feels comfortable to play 🙂 Perhaps later I'll start roastin with lightnings/chain ones, but so far (84 lvl) it isn't necessary.
OP
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I guess it’s time to farm another Enigma :(

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. I guess it’s time to farm another Enigma :(
I'll die proclaiming that Enigma on a Sorc is just silly. For so, so many reasons and better alternatives...

Just go build one on the PTR and try the different options. Nothing lost that way and you can confirm what works best for you. :)

Asha 350

Sorceress Europe PC
True - Enigma ain't for sorc, imo. For sorc it's either Viper, or
Tal
armor, or CoH, maybe Skullder. But to each his own.

Zebot 70

Paladin Americas PC
Enigma does seem silly. I just got used to almost never using potions. Then with the coh switch I was drinking them often. Guess it just comes down to being nearly invincible either way, but gulping a few more potions down.

Side note: going from
Mage Plate
Enigma to AP coh lowered my vitality by around 35, leading to decreased health with coh. Could have made it in a
Dusk Shroud
but we’ll leave that conversation to other forum posts.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
I genuinely can't remember the last time I chugged a potion on my sorc. On live that is..chugged a few while randomly experimenting with weird builds on the PTR.

I mean...what for? You really shouldn't lose any significant amount of life to begin with.

Though if you do go for a spec that ends up getting slapped around quite a bit (which I did as part of my PTR testing...
Nova
goes BRRRR!), I was genuinely surprised by how convenient a
Prayer
merc turned out to be. I.e. if you go for a full energy ES build (which really doesn't need more than 1 pt anyways, thanks to all the +skill tacked on), you're easily set on mana regen to keep going on all fronts and your life pool (which you don't need much of) is so low that
Prayer
actually still makes a solid difference. Had my PTR build sitting at around 500 life and 2500 mana which basically made her immortal and completely potion-free. Not that the idea of a
Prayer
merc isn't still just a tad weird..but it does work quite well.
OP
I genuinely can't remember the last time I chugged a potion on my sorc. On live that is..chugged a few while randomly experimenting with weird builds on the PTR.

I mean...what for? You really shouldn't lose any significant amount of life to begin with.

Though if you do go for a spec that ends up getting slapped around quite a bit (which I did as part of my PTR testing...
Nova
goes BRRRR!), I was genuinely surprised by how convenient a
Prayer
merc turned out to be. I.e. if you go for a full energy ES build (which really doesn't need more than 1 pt anyways, thanks to all the +skill tacked on), you're easily set on mana regen to keep going on all fronts and your life pool (which you don't need much of) is so low that
Prayer
actually still makes a solid difference. Had my PTR build sitting at around 500 life and 2500 mana which basically made her immortal and completely potion-free. Not that the idea of a
Prayer
merc isn't still just a tad weird..but it does work quite well.
I’ve never messed with the
Energy Shield
build but it seems legit.

Zelym 123

Paladin Europe PC
Never tried ES, do you stack Integer Damage Reduction?
How do you deal with Mana Burn?

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
You can but you typically really don't need to. Without any absolute reduction, you're tanky af. With it, you shift from tanky af to flat out invincible. Fun..but definitely not necessary and not worth giving anything else up for.

Mana burn is the one thing that is actually dangerous but if you're specced for full energy, your regen is generally fast enough to get you out of that. I.e. random mana burn boss danger tends to go along the lines of
- Merrily
Teleport
along feeling invincible
- Randomly
Teleport
into pack and land right next to boss
- Get smacked down to 0 mana instantly
-
Teleport
out of there and clean from 2 steps away from said mana burning bugger

Thanks to fairly high regen, you tend to still get more than enough back to tank whatever else is there. Even more so if your build allows you to throw spare points into
Telekinesis
to reduce the mana per dmg.

Though for me, the latter really only decides between vit and energy. That is if I can't have
Telekinesis
capped, I'll throw my stats into energy and make due with a tiny life pool. If I do have
Telekinesis
capped (and am not running a super mana cost heavy build), I just stick with full vita and still outregen everything.

I started making ES part of my standard sorc builds 20 years ago and haven't looked back since. Every so often, I get the urge to experiment again and end up with a few new builds without ES and every single time, it just makes me want to cry.

Mind you, I get the appeal of a glass cannon (hence my zon being full dex) but that whole concept really only makes sense if your squishyness in turn allows you to get way more damage. But considering that ES can be gotten with a tiny amount of skill points that nearly every build can easily afford to spend and that you really don't need more than 1 hard point in it, it isn't a question of "tanky vs. glass cannon" but "tanky vs. exact same dmg but actual fear of Death for no real reason". I just enjoy the ability to freely
Teleport
straight into the middle of every pack I see and blow things up from the inside out. :)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...