Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   517 views

Description

In light of recent events and the continuous derailing of the "got lucky" topic, I figured it may be worth creating a "central sticky" for this and to just briefly touch on expectations from the moderating side when it comes to forum behavior here.

First things first:
We highly encourage discussions on all sorts of generally related topics and disagreements are par for the course. Hell, I myself genuinely love if someone disagrees with me and manages to actually prove me wrong/convince me to join the other side of the argument. It is after all a great way to challenge what you "know" and to ultimately learn and expand.

That having been said, we expect all such discussions and disagreements to be carried out in an appropriate, civilized manner. There's nothing wrong with the occasional joke or slight poke but blatant, personal insults will not be tolerated. Neither in forum topics nor in trades nor in private messages via this site.

Further, we do not condone publicly calling people out for what you deem to be wrongdoing on their part. If someone breaks the rules, misbehaves or just generally "abuses others" (inherently vague, I know), we strongly encourage you to reach out to one of us moderators. We will look into it and will react as applicable and justified. In such cases, if you can provide us with proof of wrongdoing, all the better. But proof or not, leave it to mods to act. Do not resort to "public shaming" posts/topics to call them out.

Ideally, neither is necessary as many things can also be resolved peacefully and privately between both parties but if that fails, see above.

Additionally, do be respectful of others and their topics and try not to derail them. Forum topics evolve by nature and may well turn into side discussions or into a completely different topic entirely over time but especially with regards to people's trades, keep your messages to the point (offers/direct trade correspondence) and do not start random arguments or extensive discussions within other people's trades.

We do not monitor any private communications via this site. Nor do we actively monitor public topics beyond what we ourselves are reading anyways. As such, I'm sure you will find cases of inappropriate behavior that we haven't acted upon, simply because we didn't know about it. That's where the reporting function comes in handy as you can easily raise the issue with us and make us aware so that we can do what should be done.

Do also keep in mind that none of us moderators are being paid to do this. We are acting as moderators within our own free time, simply because we love the site and the community that Teebling and all of us have created over the years. As a result, you may not always get a response within 5 minutes but rest assured that every report is being viewed and will be evaluated and acted upon as needed within a reasonable timeframe.

Lastly, if you disagree with one of our moderating decisions, be that one that affected you directly or someone else, that is your right. And you are welcome to question the decision with us and have a civilized discussion to ensure your point of view is heard. After all, we, too are not immune to making mistakes. However, if your response to us doing our job is throwing blatant insults aimed at one of us, that is a sure fire way to get yourself an extended time out in no time. And that's a promise. Beyond that, I dare say we are actually rather lenient and nice, especially with regards to banning folks as (excluding spam bots) I for one can count the number of user bans I even know about here on less than one hand.

I'm sure I speak for more than just the moderators and Teebling when I say that we are quite happy to have found ourselves in one of the (significantly) more supportive and less toxic communities out there. And we would like to keep it that way. Most of you, not being moderators, likely aren't really aware of just how true that statement is and just how surprisingly little content moderation we actually have to do here. In that light, despite what may feel like a very negative post overall, I would also like to once again say thank you to everyone actively and positively taking part in making this the community that we all enjoy being a part of, regardless of whether you've been here for years, months, weeks or even just days so far.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
In light of recent events and the continuous derailing of the "got lucky" topic, I figured it may be worth creating a "central sticky" for this and to just briefly touch on expectations from the moderating side when it comes to forum behavior here.

First things first:
We highly encourage discussions on all sorts of generally related topics and disagreements are par for the course. Hell, I myself genuinely love if someone disagrees with me and manages to actually prove me wrong/convince me to join the other side of the argument. It is after all a great way to challenge what you "know" and to ultimately learn and expand.

That having been said, we expect all such discussions and disagreements to be carried out in an appropriate, civilized manner. There's nothing wrong with the occasional joke or slight poke but blatant, personal insults will not be tolerated. Neither in forum topics nor in trades nor in private messages via this site.

Further, we do not condone publicly calling people out for what you deem to be wrongdoing on their part. If someone breaks the rules, misbehaves or just generally "abuses others" (inherently vague, I know), we strongly encourage you to reach out to one of us moderators. We will look into it and will react as applicable and justified. In such cases, if you can provide us with proof of wrongdoing, all the better. But proof or not, leave it to mods to act. Do not resort to "public shaming" posts/topics to call them out.

Ideally, neither is necessary as many things can also be resolved peacefully and privately between both parties but if that fails, see above.

Additionally, do be respectful of others and their topics and try not to derail them. Forum topics evolve by nature and may well turn into side discussions or into a completely different topic entirely over time but especially with regards to people's trades, keep your messages to the point (offers/direct trade correspondence) and do not start random arguments or extensive discussions within other people's trades.

We do not monitor any private communications via this site. Nor do we actively monitor public topics beyond what we ourselves are reading anyways. As such, I'm sure you will find cases of inappropriate behavior that we haven't acted upon, simply because we didn't know about it. That's where the reporting function comes in handy as you can easily raise the issue with us and make us aware so that we can do what should be done.

Do also keep in mind that none of us moderators are being paid to do this. We are acting as moderators within our own free time, simply because we love the site and the community that Teebling and all of us have created over the years. As a result, you may not always get a response within 5 minutes but rest assured that every report is being viewed and will be evaluated and acted upon as needed within a reasonable timeframe.

Lastly, if you disagree with one of our moderating decisions, be that one that affected you directly or someone else, that is your right. And you are welcome to question the decision with us and have a civilized discussion to ensure your point of view is heard. After all, we, too are not immune to making mistakes. However, if your response to us doing our job is throwing blatant insults aimed at one of us, that is a sure fire way to get yourself an extended time out in no time. And that's a promise. Beyond that, I dare say we are actually rather lenient and nice, especially with regards to banning folks as (excluding spam bots) I for one can count the number of user bans I even know about here on less than one hand.

I'm sure I speak for more than just the moderators and Teebling when I say that we are quite happy to have found ourselves in one of the (significantly) more supportive and less toxic communities out there. And we would like to keep it that way. Most of you, not being moderators, likely aren't really aware of just how true that statement is and just how surprisingly little content moderation we actually have to do here. In that light, despite what may feel like a very negative post overall, I would also like to once again say thank you to everyone actively and positively taking part in making this the community that we all enjoy being a part of, regardless of whether you've been here for years, months, weeks or even just days so far.
Schnorki

Thats one long essay :)

From what im getting at is behalf and you shall be ok

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
OP

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
d2rppa69 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Schnorki

Thats one long essay :)

From what im getting at is behalf and you shall be ok
Pretty much.

TL;DR:
Just don't be an ass. :)

Th3ory 420

Paladin Americas PC
Schnorki wrote: 3 weeks ago

Just don't be an ass. :)
Not all heroes wear capes

TheDoo 229

Europe PC
Or in other words, if you don't behave Schnorki will kill off your HC character in no time! Just kidding ofc xd

I'm still baffled out on the
Schnorki wrote: 3 weeks ago
I for one can count the number of user bans I even know about here on less than one hand.
but I'm afraid to ask on what do you count then... Or you just mean 0? :D

Jokes aside, I was never sucker for forums but here, I kinda feel like at home (even tho I tend to spam a lot and write long walls of useless and often misinformative text). People tend to surprise me positively how nice, pleasant and generous they are, well at least people here and inside D2 community (in general).

Now a serious question, soooo insults/rudeness via PMs are bannable if someone reports you? :|

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."
OP

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
TheDoo wrote: 3 weeks ago
[..]
I'm afraid to ask on what do you count then... Or you just mean 0? :D
[..]
Well, a full hand is 5 so less than one hand simply means less than 5. ;)

TheDoo wrote: 3 weeks ago
[..]
Now a serious question, soooo insults/rudeness via PMs are bannable if someone reports you? :|
While other people's PMs are not inherently visible to us as mods (as it should be - private conversations are indeed private), they do have a report button for a reason. If someone harasses you via PMs, you can raise that with us the same way you would such harassment anywhere else on the site. And if you do, we will be able to look into it and respond accordingly.

That having been said, we don't immediately ban people for insulting someone. Unless they go completely, ridiculously overkill ape to the point where we can't help but go "ok, there's no saving that guy...", we will reach out to them, ask them to kindly tone it down a notch and in more severe cases issue a formal warning before anything else.

What happens after that is up to the offending user. They'll either start behaving in which case all is well, ignore the mod(s) and turn into perpetually insulting repeat offenders in which case they'll be dealt with more harshly in the future or they'll go completely ape and immediately proceed to go nuts at the mod asking them to tone it down in which case they'll more likely than not very quickly find themselves with a timeout to think about what they've done. And anything in between.

That's the very rough idea anyways..exact outcome and mod action are obviously subject to context and will be determined as deemed fit on a case by case basis.
I'm kinda afraid to ask how the hell is possible for someone to fight on a "got lucky" topic. o.o

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...