Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
25 replies   3216 views

Description

After 2 years of trading, it finally happened. I got scammed in traderie - NOT here. Others beware and learn from my mistake. I am venting, but curious what could have been done differently to avoid this.

I found a torch in Traderie I wanted. It was listed for 55 runes. The seller has over 300 5 star reviews. I thought it would be safe to trust him. You can't trade 55 runes in one window so we talked and I did what I've done in the past, drop 15 in the floor and then we do a trade where I put the 40 on the trade window and the seller the item. Unfortunately this person picked up all 15 runes and left the game then blocked me in the site.

Writing this out, I guess the other option would be to ask the seller to trade the item with 40 runes and then we do another trade for 15. But if I was the seller in this scenario, the same could happen where the buyer leaves after the first trade?

Any who, curious on thoughts and thanks for listening!

Can be used to make Runewords:

After 2 years of trading, it finally happened. I got scammed in traderie - NOT here. Others beware and learn from my mistake. I am venting, but curious what could have been done differently to avoid this.

I found a torch in Traderie I wanted. It was listed for 55 runes. The seller has over 300 5 star reviews. I thought it would be safe to trust him. You can't trade 55 runes in one window so we talked and I did what I've done in the past, drop 15 in the floor and then we do a trade where I put the 40 on the trade window and the seller the item. Unfortunately this person picked up all 15 runes and left the game then blocked me in the site.

Writing this out, I guess the other option would be to ask the seller to trade the item with 40 runes and then we do another trade for 15. But if I was the seller in this scenario, the same could happen where the buyer leaves after the first trade?

Any who, curious on thoughts and thanks for listening!

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Selling Ber/Jah, click for wish list.
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
run on PS, accepting tips. Details

Necrarch 1616Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
That's painful. And usually if it's over 40 it's with expensive stuff like Jahs (if for pgems, well... annoying but less important).

Usually what to do in that case is to make an intermediate value being traded first.

For example I think a perfect 20/20/10 Anni is around 10-15
Jah
at the moment, it can serve as intermediate here.

Still sad for you !

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Sorry to hear thwt happened to u

Would be nice to know the user of that traderie? So wr all can avoid being scammed from him/her?

If d2.
Io
wont allow disclosure in pub post, maybe via pm?

Thanks

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
Hey mate, i am sorry you had to go through this.

Now in terms what you could have done different... well... Ernest Hemingway said that the best way to trust someone is to... trust him. You did what you were doing all this time - pretty much what all of us do so dont accuse your self too much about this.

300 stars rating, well humans are unfortunately creatures of opportunity, someone could have a long streak of decency and for the right trade, the right moment all these can go poof in a second.

I know the feeling, ive been in your place once or twice, i guess all of us did one way or another, both in game and in real life and im really sorry you had to go through this. I just hope the damage wasnt that big ( you did not disclose what those 15 are but it doesnt matter ). Just remember to go easy on yourself, what happened today is not your fault.

On Vacation for 2 weeks - All of my buy or sell offers are retracted and frozen.

WTB List : Cold Skillers + Life ( 28-35 range )
Sup
Archon Plate
White or 4 soc ( close to perfect 13/13, 15/13. 14/13 etc )
Sup Ethereal Base for Pride

Necrarch 1616Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
As far the disclosing : public shaming will indeed not be allowed.

However people willing to know may contact OP directly in PM.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
OP
Thanks all. I won't make anything public without giving the other an opportunity to defend themselves. If you are interested, PM and I can share screen shots. It was 15 jahs unfortunately.

I do like the idea of an intermediate, good idea Necrarch. I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to try a trade that big.

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
azeroti wrote: 9 months ago
The seller has over 300 5 star reviews. I thought it would be safe to trust him.
Euthivolos wrote: 9 months ago
300 stars rating, well humans are unfortunately creatures of opportunity, someone could have a long streak of decency and for the right trade, the right moment all these can go poof in a second.

I don't know how the rating works there, but maybe that guy was lucky and found such a valuable Torch, then farmed those 300 stars on low trades (such sa pgems) in order to build trust to finally be able to get the most out of that torch?
You can't trade 55 runes in one window so we talked and I did what I've done in the past, drop 15 in the floor and then we do a trade where I put the 40 on the trade window and the seller the item. Unfortunately this person picked up all 15 runes and left the game then blocked me in the site.
NEVER throw anything valuable to the ground. Items on the ground have no owner. This is just asking to be "robbed" (after willingly giving up the ownership).
As Necrarch said, make an intermediate trade if all the items do not fit in the trade window.

I don't know how the rating works there, but maybe that guy was lucky and found such a valuable Torch, then farmed those 300 stars on low trades (such sa pgems) in order to build trust to finally be able to get the most out of that torch?
Well thats another way to put it... Make the most out of that torch... That makes me wonder however, did you actually see the torch in the trade window or the guy just claimed he had it.

Afaik rating there works in the sense that when you made a trade and everything goes well, the 2 people involved in the trade rate each other with 5 stars. And to add to that its a not a succesful trade you get 1 trust like here in diablo.io. Those 300 people must be unique accounts it does not go by trade, it goes by account so 300 reviews could mean 600 trades ( 2 trade with each of the people involved ), which makes it even more weird scamming you. But as i said people are creatures of opportunity.

Anyway traderie might be a place where you can find stuff easier in terms of quantity and most of the times quality but for me its murky waters, you just deal with a profile that has a few starts as rating, here people have profiles, signatures, forum presence ( those who chose to have one etc etc ) it becomes a bit more personal. Most of the times i cant tell if someone is a bot representative or an actual person so i do actually prefer trading here. Ideally i want to my items to go to a real person who actually gonna use it and enjoy the game and not just someone who gonna sell it dunno for 5 bucks, hence my effort to offer fair but at the same time discounted trades here.

On Vacation for 2 weeks - All of my buy or sell offers are retracted and frozen.

WTB List : Cold Skillers + Life ( 28-35 range )
Sup
Archon Plate
White or 4 soc ( close to perfect 13/13, 15/13. 14/13 etc )
Sup Ethereal Base for Pride
here people have profiles, signatures, forum presence ( those who chose to have one etc etc ) it becomes a bit more personal.
I always list my stuff on both sites (here and traderie) but i prefer to sell here first. Exactly because of that. People here help out each other and relate to each other. I like that.
OP

Well thats another way to put it... Make the most out of that torch... That makes me wonder however, did you actually see the torch in the trade window or the guy just claimed he had it.
I did ask to see it first, he difinetely had the right torch.

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
OP
Trang Oul wrote: 9 months ago

So I later started going through all his reviews and a few times he gets called a scammer with 1 star. Maybe he has so many 5 that the few 1s disapear from the scroll window and no one notices. I assume that's his trick. Do many go transactions and then a scam and repeat.

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
So I later started going through all his reviews and a few times he gets called a scammer with 1 star. Maybe he has so many 5 that the few 1s disapear from the scroll window and no one notices. I assume that's his trick. Do many go transactions and then a scam and repeat.
Be a trustworthy person when buy/sell cheap items so that he can scam several HR to 1 person.
As long as the number of 5 stars reviews are high enough, his overall review is still closed to 5 stars.
So, we should check also the seller's 1,2 stars reviews, not only the overall review.

Relax and have fun!
We should buy cheap stuff from him, the cheapest the better, and confront him about being a scammer. Or at least get his attention somehow. Or else he will simply continue scamming.
OP
luizgeo wrote: 9 months ago
We should buy cheap stuff from him, the cheapest the better, and confront him about being a scammer. Or at least get his attention somehow. Or else he will simply continue scamming.
Believe me, I thought about many ways to see how I could get those runes back but decided it was not worth the time and effort. Now, I just share info hoping he doesn't do it again. Best case, traderie moderators get back to me as I did report him and we ban his account.

azeroti#1149
PC or PS
Can help with
Diablo Clone
PC/PS
Free
Uber Tristram
luizgeo wrote: 9 months ago
Believe me, I thought about many ways to see how I could get those runes back but decided it was not worth the time and effort. Now, I just share info hoping he doesn't do it again. Best case, traderie moderators get back to me as I did report him and we ban his account.
I blocked him as well a lot of my friends that play with me and sell on traderie. I couldn't report him myself because i don't have anything with me to back it up, but i hope he gets banned as well.

ShadowHeart 1780Moderator

Europe PC
Hmm, I don't know how Traderie's review aggregation works, but was his total really at 5.0 or does it indicate he has received some "less than stellar" (to say the least) reviews?

If they either only count the X most recent reviews or weigh recent reviews more heavily vs older reviews, that definitely sounds like something that could be taken advantage of as a scammer. If there's no weighing or cut-off point then even a 25-1 ratio should be noticeable on the average... right? I don't think I've even seen anyone with less than (what looks like) 5.0, but if there's some stuff with the aggregation I'm not aware of, perhaps I've seen plenty of people with what looks like perfect scores but secretly hiding skeletons in their closets.

Does anyone know?

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
ShadowHeart wrote: 9 months ago
but if there's some stuff with the aggregation I'm not aware of, perhaps I've seen plenty of people with what looks like perfect scores but secretly hiding skeletons in their closets.
I don't know how traderie rating system works as well, but maybe if he blocks the scammed person, the rating of the blocked person does not count on the overall grade? So he gets some 1's, block these persons, and his grade still 5 star?

Azeroti got blocked right after getting scammed, so maybe this is the scammer's modus operandi.
Is his nick name Voldemort?

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Born with a heart of Steel
Manowar wrote: 9 months ago
Is his nick name Voldemort?
Necrarch wrote: 9 months ago
As far the disclosing : public shaming will indeed not be allowed.

However people willing to know may contact OP directly in PM.
Just message him, like I did. :)

I will be away for Easter holidays between April 30 and May 5. I will host a giveaway upon my return on May 6.

Mixed trades:
Hel
= 6
Perfect Gems

Perfect Amethyst
= 4
Perfect Gems

Ral
= 2
Perfect Gems

Perfect Skull
= 2
Perfect Gems
ShadowHeart wrote: 9 months ago
Hmm, I don't know how Traderie's review aggregation works, but was his total really at 5.0 or does it indicate he has received some "less than stellar" (to say the least) reviews?

If they either only count the X most recent reviews or weigh recent reviews more heavily vs older reviews, that definitely sounds like something that could be taken advantage of as a scammer. If there's no weighing or cut-off point then even a 25-1 ratio should be noticeable on the average... right? I don't think I've even seen anyone with less than (what looks like) 5.0, but if there's some stuff with the aggregation I'm not aware of, perhaps I've seen plenty of people with what looks like perfect scores but secretly hiding skeletons in their closets.

Does anyone know?
It takes all into account, I just did the math. He has 6 scams out of 363, so (357*5+6*1)/363 is 4.93 as the site says. So pay attention to the 1 star reviews in future trades there.

I will be away for Easter holidays between April 30 and May 5. I will host a giveaway upon my return on May 6.

Mixed trades:
Hel
= 6
Perfect Gems

Perfect Amethyst
= 4
Perfect Gems

Ral
= 2
Perfect Gems

Perfect Skull
= 2