Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
2 replies   1169 views

Description

Now that Fire druid is somewhat more viable with the NHD changes, I've run into a situation where I don't quite know how the interaction works between +Skills on swap versus +% Ele Damage on main.

Do long duration spells (like
Armageddon
and
Thunder Storm
) remember what +% Ele Damage they were cast at or does it use whatever your current +% Ele Damage is? For exmaple, if you were using a 30/30
Crystal Sword
+ 20/20
Monarch
on main, but had CtA + Spirit on swap, with which weapon set should you cast your long duration spell? CtA + Spirit would cast it at a higher level for ostensibly more damage, unless it remembers the +% Ele Damage it was cast at and thus it'd be stronger to cast with the +50% Ele damage from CS +
Monarch

Can be used to make Runewords:

Now that Fire druid is somewhat more viable with the NHD changes, I've run into a situation where I don't quite know how the interaction works between +Skills on swap versus +% Ele Damage on main.

Do long duration spells (like
Armageddon
and
Thunder Storm
) remember what +% Ele Damage they were cast at or does it use whatever your current +% Ele Damage is? For exmaple, if you were using a 30/30
Crystal Sword
+ 20/20
Monarch
on main, but had CtA + Spirit on swap, with which weapon set should you cast your long duration spell? CtA + Spirit would cast it at a higher level for ostensibly more damage, unless it remembers the +% Ele Damage it was cast at and thus it'd be stronger to cast with the +50% Ele damage from CS +
Monarch

Please make all offers on the listing page

ShadowHeart 1743Moderator

Europe PC
I think we'll have to wait for Grandmaster @Schnorki to show up and explain how this interaction works :P

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3183Moderator

PC
Admittedly, even I haven't looked specifically into the druid skills in that regard as I simply never liked the ele style personally.

Generally speaking, skills inherit their direct properties at the time of casting. E.g. if you BO at say level 45 in your buff gear and then switch to dps gear which would have you at 39 or whatever, your current BO doesn't get lowered but you keep the 45 you buffed with until it expires.
Similarly, when you cast say a
Shadow Master
with high-skill gear and then take that gear off, the existing traps or
Shadow Master
don't get weaker.
Neither do things like
Enchant
Base buffs or units remember their at-cast properties.

Beyond that it can (but doesn't have to) get more complicated as certain skills run extra checks upon each "sub-execution" such as
Enchant
checking your current %firedmg on each attack to calculate the final, double-tapped damage or
Shadow Master
checking the assassin's current skill level on each skill use to combine with the master's own at-time-of-summon level to get the final level for use.

In your case, it should be quite easy to test to make sure as things like
Armageddon
tend to scale quite significantly with gear.
1) take off all gear
2) buff with
Armageddon
(NEW
Armageddon
, do not just re-cast over a currently running one)
3) go out and hit some random non-fire-immune mob a few times to see how much dmg it does
4) put gear back on
5) buff with
Armageddon
after letting the previous one expire fully (i.e. NEW again)
6) hit same mob a few more times, observe probably very easy to spot significantly higher damage
7) re-cast
Armageddon
to refresh duration (for the sake of making it more relaxed, doesn't have to be a new cast this time, refresh is fine)
8) take off your gear
9) go hit the same mob with it once again

At step 9 you will either observe the same damage you saw in step 6 in which case the damage properties are confirmed remembered from time-of-cast or you will see the same damage as in step 3 which would tell you the properties are not remembered at-cast but checked per hit instead. Get enough hits in to be sure you know what you're looking at.
Make sure it is the same mob (type) so you don't have to worry much about phys vs. fire impact. Neither part can be blocked and the spread isn't all too high on
Armageddon
so that makes it easier to test. Just make sure you're looking at the actual impact damage each time and not the smaller ticks from over-time damage.
There is a slight possibility that you'd actually end up observing something in between the two damage extremes instead which..probably won't happen so let's not go too much into that for now but if it does, there's a few possible explanations for that which would simply warrant further, more extensive/targeted testing. :)

(The "NEW" part in the
Armageddon
buffing can be quite important so keep that in mind for testing..I'll save you the explanation of why for now, adds unnecessary complexity)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...