Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
40 replies   2145 views

Description

I'm using an online calculator (I'm not sure of the rules posting towards the relevant site.) to try out different build for the final twenty.

According to the calculator, my
Hydra
should be doing around 15k before phasing out. (They don't seem to be dealing that much damage before going poof as multiple runs at Diablo show.) I'm not really sure about the damage calculations or the apparently much lower damage. On hearing the
Hydra
change, I thought playing this build would be great fun. I like the fire it and forget it nature, and goodness knows I like doing tons of damage. (I'm not going to go exclusive; I don't like to run from fire immunity.) I'd very much like other
Hydra
players to give me an idea of their damage output from their
Hydra
and basics of their build if they are really hitting so hard.

I played with things a bit as I went along so my build is kind of wonky, but I still have one free respec to get to where I need to be for farming hell. My build is basically
Frozen Orb
Hydra
Nova
, and the various prerequisites. I also have one point in
Static Field
Telekinesis
Teleport
, and all three mastery for reasons.

Also, if it is allowed, could someone post a link to a calculator that is more accurate just in case I'm using a bad site? I really doubt it is the site, but I stripped naked for the runs at Diablo, and I'm just not hitting that hard.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I'm using an online calculator (I'm not sure of the rules posting towards the relevant site.) to try out different build for the final twenty.

According to the calculator, my
Hydra
should be doing around 15k before phasing out. (They don't seem to be dealing that much damage before going poof as multiple runs at Diablo show.) I'm not really sure about the damage calculations or the apparently much lower damage. On hearing the
Hydra
change, I thought playing this build would be great fun. I like the fire it and forget it nature, and goodness knows I like doing tons of damage. (I'm not going to go exclusive; I don't like to run from fire immunity.) I'd very much like other
Hydra
players to give me an idea of their damage output from their
Hydra
and basics of their build if they are really hitting so hard.

I played with things a bit as I went along so my build is kind of wonky, but I still have one free respec to get to where I need to be for farming hell. My build is basically
Frozen Orb
Hydra
Nova
, and the various prerequisites. I also have one point in
Static Field
Telekinesis
Teleport
, and all three mastery for reasons.

Also, if it is allowed, could someone post a link to a calculator that is more accurate just in case I'm using a bad site? I really doubt it is the site, but I stripped naked for the runs at Diablo, and I'm just not hitting that hard.

Schnorki 3207Moderator

PC
Long story short:
Hydras deal rather significant damage to say the least but with a few caveats.

1) You get no -res from your skills so you need that on gear to really drive up
Hydra
damage.
2) You don't want to cheap out on skills invested to max
Hydra
dmg (which might make it hard to get orb to a worthwhile level at the same time).
3) You really (REALLY) want a sunder because fire immunes are all over this game. Once you get one though, you can just skip the orb part entirely because your hydras easily annihilate anything and everything you come up against.
4) While you do get more than one
Hydra
, they do remain inherently single target attacks so don't expect javazon or
Nova
sorc style aoe clearing. Fireballs help a lot with groups though.

Personally, I found the sweet-spot to be roughly around 50 -res on your gear and an Infinity on your merc adding to that. Then just max your +skill for massive final dmg. For reference, my hydras take out dclone through his regen with ample time to spare before you'd ever have to think about actually re-casting them. Since his P1 life is somewhere around 650k and you get 6 hydras, that's at a bare minimum around 108k dmg per
Hydra
cast against the worst target possible (since he starts with the top-end of 95% fire res). Realistically, it is far more than the 108k because that ignores both, his regen and the fact that there's multiple seconds of
Hydra
uptime to spare after his Death.
Realistically, factoring in his regen and uptime to spare, it is probably closer to 200k per
Hydra
(rough estimate).
OP
Wow. Thank you so very much. That was an extremely helpful post.

I didn't even think about non-immunity enemy resistance choking the
Hydra
. I'll have to start researching that.

I don't necessarily want to cheap out on damage. I just didn't want to spend 80 points just on
Hydra

You make a good point about sundering charms. Once this ladder is over, they will probably be reasonably priced. By that point, I'll hopefully be where I can farm hell efficiently enough for a reasonable fourth respec.

I simple didn't know that about
Hydra
. I thought that they were more sophisticated than that. That will need some thought as well.

Also, I think your damage output is easily 15-20 times mine which made me laugh.

Nate 541

Switch
I run a
Hydra
orb sorc offline, so I don’t have access to sunder charms, but I don’t recommend going the triple threat route. Hydras and orbs are good for 95% of everything out there, for those rare cold and fire immunes I static and spam
Telekinesis
to
Stun
while my merc does the physical damage.

My sorc has maxed orb and the rest goes into
Hydra
, so it’s not perfect but the combo is enough for players 7 in most situations. I don’t worry much about the damage numbers per say, as the static, orb,
Hydra
combo is a strong one
OP
I will not be going triple threat for the final build. I was just trying out different things during NM which left me with a weird build. I think I have something like 150 strength (Curse you "spend all" button!) when I only need like 80 for the gear I'll eventually want.

Saying you could do %95 of P7 by yourself was informative.

Thanks.

Nate 541

Switch
Sorry also forgot the hell ancients will be the hardest thing ever… it took me like 3 hours to get them to spawn with acceptable immunities. Just be prepared for a hard fight when you get to them

Schnorki 3207Moderator

PC
phantomotap wrote: 1 year ago
You make a good point about sundering charms. Once this ladder is over, they will probably be reasonably priced.
Just make a ladder char and snag a free one to transfer over to non-ladder once S2 ends. There's enough folks giving them away if you don't insist on a perfect roll. If they remain ladder-exclusive though, there's a good chance that they won't be all too cheap on NL.

If I find another one (i.e. if I bother still actually playing ladder again ^^) you can have that. Gave away all of my spares recently though.
Though my ladder sorc does still sit on a perfect fire one which would be left over after the season so I guess if you remind me at that point, you can have it for a bit less than whatever the NL pricing ends up being. Or just for free. Either way, that's months off.
OP
That's a really good idea. Thanks.

Teebling 5855Admin

Europe PC
I'm using an online calculator (I'm not sure of the rules posting towards the relevant site.)
Just responding to this bit: We don't have any rules about linking to other sites - so no worries. If it's Diablo 2 related and relevant to your post context then it's good.

Ravoc 123

PC
Nate wrote: 1 year ago
Sorry also forgot the hell ancients will be the hardest thing ever… it took me like 3 hours to get them to spawn with acceptable immunities. Just be prepared for a hard fight when you get to them
As nate mentioned, and have experienced myself, a
Hydra
Orb Sorc might have difficulties with Hell Ancients. The easiest way dealing with that would be a decently kitted merc and playing the fight more supportively. A desert merc with Might, Obedience in an elite base and Fortitude should do fine.
OP
I've not been ignoring you folks. I just got a little busy.
Teebling wrote: 1 year ago
I'm using an online calculator (I'm not sure of the rules posting towards the relevant site.)
Just responding to this bit: We don't have any rules about linking to other sites - so no worries. If it's Diablo 2 related and relevant to your post context then it's good.
I see. I figured I'd stick with caution, but I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks.
Ravoc wrote: 1 year ago
Sorry also forgot the hell ancients will be the hardest thing ever… it took me like 3 hours to geta them to spawn with acceptable immunities. Just be prepared for a hard fight when you get to them
Hydra
Orb Sorc might have difficulties with Hell Ancients. The easiest way dealing with that would be a decently kitted merc and playing the fight more supportively. A desert merc with Might, Obedience in an elite base and Fortitude should do fine.
Yeah. I was level 42, as I recall, on Nightmare and they kicked my butt several times before I got to where I could kite all three of them.

Believe it or not, I'm already shopping around for an Obedience. I just can't find anyone willing yet to part with a crafted one in my price range, and I've had bad luck finding good parts by myself.
I've not been ignoring you folks. I just got a little busy.
Teebling wrote: 1 year ago
I see. I figured I'd stick with caution, but I'll keep that in mind for the future. Thanks.
Sorry also forgot the hell ancients will be the hardest thing ever… it took me like 3 hours to geta them to spawn with acceptable immunities. Just be prepared for a hard fight when you get to them
Hydra
Yeah. I was level 42, as I recall, on Nightmare and they kicked my butt several times before I got to where I could kite all three of them.

Believe it or not, I'm already shopping around for an Obedience. I just can't find anyone willing yet to part with a crafted one in my price range, and I've had bad luck finding good parts by myself.
I believe i have a spare unused Obedience somewhere on my mule. I’ll try to look for it today… if you still cant get one by the , pm me, and we can sync up and i’ll give it to ya for free

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
OP
Bumping this... for great justice!

Actually, I have a follow up question relating to my
Hydra
/
Frozen Orb
Sorceress.

TL;DR: I need swap recommendations, or at least let me know if Heart of the Oak and Spirit
Monarch
is a good way to go even though I'd need to dump 35 points more into Strength.

I have most of her equipable gear ready to go, but I don't know what to put on swap. I use The Occulus and a nice Rhyme on mains--partly just for the magic find. The swap though... I don't really have a clue. I only know some bits that I've read.

I have a Heart of the Oak that I can put on swap. I've heard that is a really solid way to go, and I've seen countless Sorceress players with what I assume to be one on mains, and the
Flail
looks pretty boss which is nice.

I've read that Spirit is a great companion to Heart of the Oak and a
Monarch
is the lowest four barrel, but I hate the way the
Monarch
looks, and the unique shields which also look nice just aren't as capable. Worse, I'd have to make a pretty significant investment just to wield the thing.

To add a little insult to injury, I put my Chains of Honor in a great
Dusk Shroud
instead of the decent
Archon Plate
--still had higher defense--I had because I didn't want to need that much extra Strength. I could say the same thing with
Grim Shield
versus
Troll Nest
for the Rhyme--which is admittedly just a name thing for me.

I don't have a lot of Wealth, and I can't afford to rebuild the Chains of Honor or Rhyme just now, but I can afford a Spirit
Monarch
to complete the equipable part of the build.

Thanks for your time, and have a good new year.

Nate 541

Switch
Yea buddy, sorry,
Monarch
Spirit is your best bet, all other available 4os shields have even higher strength requirements. Ageis is like 200+ and a
Ward
is like 185

Your only other option is a
Lidless Wall
, but it’s almost pathetic in comparison.

There are other ways to bump up strength, but your giving up belts,
Boots
, gloves, etc

My
Hydra
orb sorc has a little over 156 just in case I swap out a charm, or change my
Belt
/
Boots
/gloves for more focused mfing or pure damage.

Ravoc 123

PC
Don't forget about Splendor either. It's in the same ballpark as
Lidless Wall
, but does come with Magic Find.
OP
Yea buddy, sorry,
Monarch
Spirit is your best bet, all other available 4os shields have even higher strength requirements.
>_<

I wish I could offer you a dislike for that.

I actually even kind of like the look of the
Aegis
as well, but that 219 point requirement is just ridiculous.
My
Hydra
orb sorc has a little over 156 just in case I swap out a charm, or change my
Belt
/
Boots
/gloves for more focused mfing or pure damage.
Yeah. I hear you. I'll probably go 140 as I'm always going to at least try to keep an
Annihilus
and
Hellfire Torch
in my inventory.
Don't forget about Splendor either. It's in the same ballpark as
Lidless Wall
, but does come with Magic Find.
I guess I'm going Spirit
Monarch
, but I definitely think Splendor is better than
Lidless Wall
so thanks for the information.

Necrarch 1655Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
For swap, the best option is probably Call To Arms as weapon to add skills / life / mana (in a normal
Flail
or cristal sword). If you have the strength, Spirit is the best, if you don't, Splendor or lidless.

For your main though, most sorcs will indeed typically use Spirit on left hand with Hoto,
Tal
's Eye, Eschuta, Oculus or
Death's Fathom
on right hand. Or Obsession if on ladder (but takes both hand) or self wield Infinity (if lightning sorc). In addition to +2 skills, Spirit provides life, mana, lots of FHR and FCR: all you need.

To reach 156 strength, i'd advise you to get 36+ from Annis and Torch and charms. Perhaps more str from Amulet and rings but if you use
Tal
Ammy and SoJs you just have to invest many points in Str - still worth it.
Boots
is probably the most open option, even though the good old Aldur's (fire res to make it for Spirit's hole, max frw, life) is cheap and hard to beat.

Also try to get a Sunder for your main élément. Good luck !

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

ShadowHeart 1843Moderator

Europe PC
@phantomotap
Btw, I don't know what helmet you are using, but if you want a Flickering Flame (ladder-only), I could provide one for free after ladder ends :) It's still a few months away though...

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.

Schnorki 3207Moderator

PC
Or, if you wanna ditch the orb part by then, I can hook you up with nearly a complete, decked glass cannon
Hydra
sorc for free after season's end. :P
(promised a couple of the pieces to others already, hence "nearly complete")

To the more current discussion:
Why would you have a HotO on switch?! Don't get me wrong, HotO is a baller weapon for many a build but switching between Oculus and HotO just seems weird, seeing how both are not specific to either orb or
Hydra
and your focus between them is merely "slightly more stats" vs. "mf", which shouldn't really be subject to switching. Either one would be the sole active weapon of choice, typically combined with a Spirit
Monarch
in either case (yup..the str really is needed, sry ^^) and your switch would be saved for a Call To Arms with also a Spirit
Monarch
to go with it. Potentially a Call To Arms staff on switch instead, if you wanna cheap out on a couple skill points and still get ES and the like, at the cost of lower BO.
OP
TL;DR: Thanks for the opinions and recommendations; I'll be going the Call To Arms
Flail
and Spirit
Monarch
for swap.
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
For swap, the best option is probably Call To Arms as weapon to add skills / life / mana (in a normal
Flail
or cristal sword).
I have a bad--2/1/2 I think--Call To Arms I can use, and it is a sword, but the consensus seems to be to use that over Heart of the Oak for swap. I'll start looking for a new one after getting Spirit
Monarch
. Thanks.
To reach 156 strength, i'd advise you to get 36+ from Annis and Torch and charms.
I have a decent
Hellfire Torch
(17/14) and a great
Annihilus
(20/19/7) so I've got the 36 covered, but I have to ask why you have specifically made the 36+ recommendation? Is it just so you can stick with a simple 120 on stats? If so, I'll probably be sticking with my Chains of Honor which gives 20 Strength also helping a lot.
Also try to get a Sunder for your main élément.
Thanks for the suggestion, and I already have a really good one--71--for fire thanks to a bunch of back and forth trading, but it'll be a while before I can get to it of course.

A question about sunder charms: what is the most effective solution for lowered resistance? As of this time, I would have a whopping ten points of fire resistance which just isn't enough for me. I'm guessing small charms--and fire focused at that--since only grand charms can be skill enhancing!?
ShadowHeart wrote: 1 year ago
Btw, I don't know what helmet you are using, but if you want a Flickering Flame (ladder-only), I could provide one for free after ladder ends :) It's still a few months away though...
That would be cool, but now I feel stupid for not considering other ladder stuff. I took sunders into account when planning, yet I didn't look at any other ladder only stuff. I guess I may have to go back to the drawing board on a few things.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Or, if you wanna ditch the orb part by then, I can hook you up with nearly a complete, decked glass cannon
Hydra
sorc for free after season's end. :P (promised a couple of the pieces to others already, hence "nearly complete")
I really appreciate the offer, but I know from my early experience in Hell that I can't quite kite effectively enough with a controller to be that squishy. I died way more than I should have been to
Andariel
just running around casting
Hydra
Why would you have a HotO on switch?! Don't get me wrong, HotO is a baller weapon for many a build but switching between Oculus and HotO just seems weird, seeing how both are not specific to either orb or
Hydra
and your focus between them is merely "slightly more stats" vs. "mf", which shouldn't really be subject to switching.
Well, this is exactly why I'm here asking; I didn't really have a clue what to put on swap.
yup..the str really is needed, sry ^^
>_<

Gross... curse you people and your facts!
Potentially a Call To Arms staff on switch instead, if you wanna cheap out on a couple skill points and still get ES and the like, at the cost of lower BO.
Looking at the staff options, I'd rather have the
Flail
and just do some finding/trading so I can afford both the
Flail
and the
Monarch
down the road.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...