Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   2898 views

Description

If I have three pieces that give "10% chance to cast level 3
Charged Bolt
", is each checked separately, or added up to 30% and checked once? Does the level stack for level 9 if any of them trigger, or is it always going to be just level 3?

Thanks for any replies.

Can be used to make Runewords:

If I have three pieces that give "10% chance to cast level 3
Charged Bolt
", is each checked separately, or added up to 30% and checked once? Does the level stack for level 9 if any of them trigger, or is it always going to be just level 3?

Thanks for any replies.
It does, I’ve given my Act V Merc one and two Lawbringer ‘s to swing and I’ve noticed a substantial difference in the
Decrepify
proc when he has 2 Lawbringer swords. But does not increase the level of the curse, just the chances to cast.

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
Yes, no and sometimes.

As a general rule, regardless of how many 'matching' chances you have, the level of the skill does not increase. The chance however can, either directly or indirectly.

Say you have an on-Death fire facet.
You now have a 100% to cast a lvl 31
Meteor
when you die.

If you now equip a second on-Death fire facet, you will have a 200% chance to cast the same lvl 31
Meteor
. This actually doesn't do anything because anything above 100% is entirely redundant. You will still only cast one lvl 31
Meteor
. The same is true if you found some imaginary piece of equipment that added say a 13% chance to cast a lvl 31
Meteor
on Death. You'd be at 113% chance and still only cast the one
Meteor
. Or, if you had two of that item and nothing else, you'd have a 26% chance to cast one (and only one) lvl 31
Meteor

However, if you equip a Destruction on top of that, you will get a 100% chance to cast a lvl 45
Meteor
when you die. Because this one has a different level, it will now cast both (once each), a lvl 31
Meteor
and a lvl 45
Meteor

Add a Hand of Justice on top of that for 100% chance to cast a lvl 48
Meteor
on Death and you will now cast 3 meteors when you die: lvl 31, lvl 45 and lvl 48.

Basically, chance to cast for the same skill, level AND trigger (on Death, on lvl up, on hit, ..) will result in the chance being summed with anything above 100% becoming redundant. But chance to cast with any of those being different (different skill, same skill different level, ..) are treated independently of one another and are all checked individually.

It is a bit annoying to test because typically, if more than one triggers off the same event, they will aim at the same source of that trigger, resulting in a visual overlap. With
Chain Lightning
for example, you have to get quite "lucky" with mobs moving around post-Death just enough to actually let you see more than 1. With
Meteor
, it is a bit easier because even though they will hit the same spot, more than 1 results in "brighter flames", as with any overlapping fire skill.

So with 1
Meteor
, you get: Whereas with 3, it looks more like this: What Lars mentioned regarding Lawbringer swings is a bit of a deviation from the general ruling because if you use two weapons that trigger the same thing on attack/on striking, per the above rules, you would expect that chance to simply be summed. However, that is not happening here. Instead, each weapon only checks for its own skills.
So if you have 1 weapon with a 10% chance and a 2nd weapon with a 15% chance, you get a 10% chance when swinging with weapon 1 and a 15% chance when swinging with weapon 2. Not a combined 25% chance when swinging with either. As a result, after swinging once with each, your total chance to cast (at least once over both swings, averaged) is 23.5% and not the 43.75% you'd get if they simply summed.

That's the simplified version. For more details, see https://d2.lc/AB/wiki/index7844.html
OP
Thanks for that 'simplified' version, makes total sense now.
Interesting thread, and I get that dual swinging will add a chance to each swing.

But how about Plague and chance when struck? Is the chance to cast Lower Res increased, considering I would still only be hit once?

From what I understand, the Level of the Skill remains the same, but now the game checks to cast it twice, even though only 1 hit? I would appreciate a confirmation :)

Asha 349

Sorceress Europe PC
Jkeemss wrote: 1 year ago
Interesting thread, and I get that dual swinging will add a chance to each swing.

But how about Plague and chance when struck? Is the chance to cast Lower Res increased, considering I would still only be hit once?

From what I understand, the Level of the Skill remains the same, but now the game checks to cast it twice, even though only 1 hit? I would appreciate a confirmation :)
About Plague, I can tell a thing or two.
Even if you (or a5 merc) are usin only 1 Plague, and often stand in the thick of it - like my shifter druid - everything will be cursed more often than not 😎 With dual plagues (assy, for example) - chance (but not effect) will double, resulting in even more stable LR area apply - but no significant killrate boost bc of that. Even 1 Plague proves enough, imo

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...