Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
8 replies   2147 views

Description

Hello all! I have 90lvl Tesladin, double Dream all the good stuff. I don't have much experience with old diablo and I don't understand how the attack rating works sometimes.
I don't have a lot of attack rating but let's follow example:
For 92lvl terrorized
Andariel
I have 75% chance to hit according to the tooltip. I run with Grief and can kill her with 3-4 shots but sometimes I miss a lot of hits. Difficult to say but I feel like 10 hits are missed (the miss indicator is spamming like crazy).
I think it calculates the hit chance on the first strike so it's either 5 hits or 0, is it true?
Also, I would guess that when
Andariel
blocks it's also shown as a miss?
Is there anything else I'm missing?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello all! I have 90lvl Tesladin, double Dream all the good stuff. I don't have much experience with old diablo and I don't understand how the attack rating works sometimes.
I don't have a lot of attack rating but let's follow example:
For 92lvl terrorized
Andariel
I have 75% chance to hit according to the tooltip. I run with Grief and can kill her with 3-4 shots but sometimes I miss a lot of hits. Difficult to say but I feel like 10 hits are missed (the miss indicator is spamming like crazy).
I think it calculates the hit chance on the first strike so it's either 5 hits or 0, is it true?
Also, I would guess that when
Andariel
blocks it's also shown as a miss?
Is there anything else I'm missing?
So, the Chance to Hit formula in general looks like this:

Chance To Hit = 200% * [AR / (AR + DR)] * [Alvl / (Alvl + Dlvl)]

Where
AR = Attacker's Attack Rating
DR =
Defender
's Defense rating
Alvl = Attacker's level
Dlvl =
Defender
's level

With Ignore Target Defense, you cut out the [AR / (AR + DR)] part altogether, leaving you with
Chance to Hit = 200% * [Alvl / (Alvl + Dlvl)]

Which is why Ignore Target Defense is so strong.

However, Ignore Target Defense does NOT work on Act Bosses. Hence, vs
Andariel
, you're not getting any benefit from it and therefore miss more. Attack rating is important at that point vs. whatever her defense is after
Terror
Zones do their thing. I'm not sure if TZs impact monster Defense Rating.

But, increasing attack rating only goes so far, due to the fact that level is part of the formula. With the way
Terror
zones work, melee characters are at a permanent disadvantage, since they are always going to be lower level than their targets in TZs.

What does this mean for your zealot? Well, if you're going to kill bosses, get attack rating even though you don't need it for trash. And, just know that insofar as you're attacking enemies with a higher level than you, there's a disadvantage to Chance to Hit.

As far as I know (so, someone please fact check me!), each hit with
Zeal
calculates its chance to hit separately. It's not all or nothing. Which makes sense because
Zeal
can hit different targets with potentially different levels and defense ratings and thus ought to calculate each hit individually.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST

Ravoc 123

PC
You can simply use
Smite
against bosses such as
Andariel
Smite
always hits and also takes advantage of the flat damage bonus of Grief.
Winterkill wrote: 1 year ago
With Ignore Target Defense, you cut out the [AR / (AR + DR)] part altogether, leaving you with
So this means, with ignore target defense the chance to hit on non-act boss monsters are almost always caped out at 95%?
(given the character level is roughly 85+)

PC | Europe | Non-Ladder and Ladder | Softcore

Schnorki 3195Moderator

PC
Ganonvillage wrote: 1 year ago
So this means, with ignore target defense the chance to hit on non-act boss monsters are almost always caped out at 95%?
Not quite.

ITD doesn't work on bosses. Or super uniques. Or uniques. Or champions. Or other players and their mercs.
Really only useful against trash mobs, pets and minions so you still need to stack plenty of AR despite having it.

Assuming you do what (nearly) everyone does and run around top lvl
Terror
zones, those trash mobs will still be lvl 96. To hit 95% hit chance against them with ITD, you yourself still need to be at least lvl 87.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Ganonvillage wrote: 1 year ago
Not quite.

ITD doesn't work on bosses. Or super uniques. Or uniques. Or champions. Or other players and their mercs.
Really only useful against trash mobs, pets and minions so you still need to stack plenty of AR despite having it.

Assuming you do what (nearly) everyone does and run around top lvl
Terror
zones, those trash mobs will still be lvl 96. To hit 95% hit chance against them with ITD, you yourself still need to be at least lvl 87.
Ok, when it's only working on trash mobs etc. it's not worth cramping it into a build imho. It would be way more useful, if they would rename it and for example half the AR/DR calculation part on elites, so it would have at least some use besides guaranteed hits on trash mobs.

PC | Europe | Non-Ladder and Ladder | Softcore
OP
Thanks! I'm familiar with the formula, still tooltip says I have 75% chance to hit so if each hit is calculated I don't know why I sometimes miss 10-15 hits in a row. |

What about
Andariel
block chance? If she blocks, will it still be shown as a miss? (I haven't heard any block sound ques)
The character sheet tooltip is wrong so often I've never even bothered using it to estimate chance to hit. I would expect that to be the problem here. It's always been notoriously useless, and I would not be surprised if
Terror
Zones react poorly with it too. Maybe the character sheet only calculates Chance to Hit for the base unit before its
Terror
Zone level up or something like that?

I know bosses have a block chance too, as you say, about 40%. That means that, if the 75% base chance to hit was correct, each swing would have something like 45% chance to hit after block. To miss 10-15 swings in a row with those numbers is highly unlikely, maybe as low as .03% chance?

Or I'm bad at math XD

Either way, I'd be willing to commit to the character sheet being wrong.

Can login for trades between 7-11pm EST
I know bosses have a block chance too, as you say, about 40%. That means that, if the 75% base chance to hit was correct, each swing would have something like 45% chance to hit after block. To miss 10-15 swings in a row with those numbers is highly unlikely, maybe as low as .03% chance?
Let see it as a penalty.
75% the ball to be on target.
40% of those balls on target will be block by the goalkeeper so 60% will be converted to a goal.
So the chance to score a goal is 75% * 60% = 0.75*0.6 = 0.45 or 45%

Relax and have fun!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...