Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
15 replies   2437 views

Description

Not talking about swap-casting here (if it exists still, I've not found it comfortable or a need to use before.)

So I've been playing and noticing more often that my right click has been changing what skill is selected. Leaving me to trying cast something like my
Frozen Orb
but instead I've got my
Fireball
ripping off. Has almost been fatal a few times.

This would be having my Orb on right click and
Fireball
bound to Q in quick cast mode.

What turns out to be happening is that Holding Q and swapping to my
Gull
2nd wep set is actually setting
Fireball
(Q) to be my right click when I swap back to my main weapon set, moving my Orb to right click on my second set. (Which was already there, but more on this decision to use the word "Moving" in a moment.)

If I was now to hold a different
Key
, lets say
Telekinesis
(bound to A) on the main weapons set while swapping to the off set, the
Fireball
skill would now be pushed onto the second weapon set, and the
Telekinesis
skill would now be set to my right click on my main set. So these skills seem to be actually moving around.

For clarity; it changes the skill selected for right click on the weapon set you swapped from, not the one you're swapping to.

Is anyone else noticing this? I understand right away it's preventable by just making sure you're not holding any skills during the weapon swap, but it's becoming annoying. I actually had a buddy I managed to finally convince to play D2 with me get cast town portal switched into his right click while we were under pressure in
Plains of Despair
(I assume some
Key
mashing happened)... He cast it about 5-6 times instead of his
Exploding Arrow
and that was it.. Alt+F4 and done. (He had low tolerance to begin with and I was just hoping to get him to toss a LF
Javelin
into a pack in Hell and be addicted after melting them :P)

I've noticed it on a few different characters after swapping to quick cast mode, which I'm enjoying on some classes/builds. I wish it's selection was saved relative to what character it's been turned on with though.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm just wondering if it's a local thing to me, maybe buddy just held a different keybind instead of right click and I have not figured out what caused that for him. (Knowing how he games, I can't see him pressing a
Key
instead of right click. But, you never know.)
Description by GooberGirl

Can be used to make Runewords:

Not talking about swap-casting here (if it exists still, I've not found it comfortable or a need to use before.)

So I've been playing and noticing more often that my right click has been changing what skill is selected. Leaving me to trying cast something like my
Frozen Orb
but instead I've got my
Fireball
ripping off. Has almost been fatal a few times.

This would be having my Orb on right click and
Fireball
bound to Q in quick cast mode.

What turns out to be happening is that Holding Q and swapping to my
Gull
2nd wep set is actually setting
Fireball
(Q) to be my right click when I swap back to my main weapon set, moving my Orb to right click on my second set. (Which was already there, but more on this decision to use the word "Moving" in a moment.)

If I was now to hold a different
Key
, lets say
Telekinesis
(bound to A) on the main weapons set while swapping to the off set, the
Fireball
skill would now be pushed onto the second weapon set, and the
Telekinesis
skill would now be set to my right click on my main set. So these skills seem to be actually moving around.

For clarity; it changes the skill selected for right click on the weapon set you swapped from, not the one you're swapping to.

Is anyone else noticing this? I understand right away it's preventable by just making sure you're not holding any skills during the weapon swap, but it's becoming annoying. I actually had a buddy I managed to finally convince to play D2 with me get cast town portal switched into his right click while we were under pressure in
Plains of Despair
(I assume some
Key
mashing happened)... He cast it about 5-6 times instead of his
Exploding Arrow
and that was it.. Alt+F4 and done. (He had low tolerance to begin with and I was just hoping to get him to toss a LF
Javelin
into a pack in Hell and be addicted after melting them :P)

I've noticed it on a few different characters after swapping to quick cast mode, which I'm enjoying on some classes/builds. I wish it's selection was saved relative to what character it's been turned on with though.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm just wondering if it's a local thing to me, maybe buddy just held a different keybind instead of right click and I have not figured out what caused that for him. (Knowing how he games, I can't see him pressing a
Key
instead of right click. But, you never know.)
I don't know what the cause is, maybe weapon swap or quick cast or me switching to my controller from time to time but yes, my right mouse button skill seems to change randomly. I think it's happening to me when joining/leaving games though, not mid game.

Please do not add me on BNet without a comment on a trade posting.

I do not accept any rune lower than
Lem
for trades, with the exception of
Ral

Trade: PC | Softcore, Non-Ladder & Ladder | UTC-6
OP
Hmm.

I got really annoyed today and decided I'd sit around trying to figure out what was doing it.

I managed to be able to reliably replicate it this way, so I figure it was likely the culprit since I do swap to
Gull
currently while poking bosses. I am likely going to stop doing that, for my sanity.
It seems to be a skill that I've hotkeyed for quickcast, that the right mouse button changes to. I've never seen a non-hotkeyed skill switch for right mouse button. But I could be having a totally different issue from you, too.

Lem
Ral

OP
It's always a
Key
that is set to a quick cast (Specifically it's the skill using quickcast
Key
I'm holding when I hit weapon swap that overwrites what I had in the right click). I've also never had a skill that doesn't have a quickcast binding swap in.

I'm not sure if I've noticed this happening on controller swaps. So, if that is the majority of the time your noticing it, you may indeed be having a different issue.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
This is a known issue since quick-cast was introduced to the game.

Essentially, the way quick-cast works is that when you press the button for a quick-cast action it..

1) changes your skill to the assigned quick cast skill (left or right button, whichever you assigned - happens with either)
2) tries to execute that skill by effectively simulating the left/right button press
3) waits for skill execution (or some predetermined amount of time independent of that - unknown)
4) switches the skill back from the quick cast one to the one you normally have assigned

Now, because of that frankly idiotic way to implement quick cast, rather than just having it cast what should be cast, the game can (and reliably does) run into a situation where while it is on step 3 (waiting before switching back), something can happen to interrupt the process. This can be swapping as you noted, it can be random lag or it can be as simple as trying to cast the next spell "too soon" (i.e. you being quicker than the game). It also often times happens when you hover over folks in town when quick-casting something like summoning a
Valkyrie
, de-hovering before it switches back (or vice versa). Or if you get traded with by someone while you are quick-casting something. Or zoning before it moves back. Or.... well, there's countless triggers for that broken behavior, all boiling down to the simple fact that blizz chose to implement this in quite possibly the dumbest way humanly possible and in doing so to make it worse and more error prone than any keyboard macro that does the same thing (except that one also gets you banned for using it..).
Makes sense, I don't remember this being an issue prior to quick cast. It's an annoyance but not a game breaker yet still, it better get fixed.

Lem
Ral

OP
I was having some issue finding anything about this online, probably using the wrong wording in search.

I had a feeling it was just a mechanic thing. By the sounds of it, not likely to be easily fixed with the way it's implemented. Still nice to have quickcast, it makes stuff like hammers a bit "smoother." With the tap to
Teleport
and it switching back to conc by itself.

I did immediately feel 80% less frustrated when I figured out how to replicate the way I was consistently causing it to happen to myself, so that's a bonus.

Thanks for the confirm.
I’ve recreated this several times,

make sure tele is not set to a skill only the skills you are changing, using quick cast having no button attached to my right click skill.

Spoke to early,
Teleport
pulls me into mobs when it switches back and I dont even cast it.

Its just bad, I tried hahah, sorry.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Haberle wrote: 1 year ago
I’ve recreated this several times,

make sure tele is not set to a skill only the skills you are changing, using quick cast having no button attached to my right click skill.
If not having your 'normal right click' bound to any extra button fixes it for you, I'm afraid that's pure coincidence. The problem definitely still exists without it bound.
EMzx25 wrote: 1 year ago
Makes sense, I don't remember this being an issue prior to quick cast. It's an annoyance but not a game breaker yet still, it better get fixed.
I‘d like to see you attacking the council with a bunch of freshly casted town portals instead of
Whirlwind
. Let‘s see if it is a game breaker then…

Zebot 70

Paladin Americas PC
I occasionally roll the mouse scroll wheel by accident, which changes the right click skill. Maybe a separate issue but leads to the same problem.

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Zebot wrote: 1 year ago
I occasionally roll the mouse scroll wheel by accident, which changes the right click skill. Maybe a separate issue but leads to the same problem.
That's not a bug though and easy enough to avoid by simply not having mouse wheel bound to next/previous skill.
is this what you guys are talking about?

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4

Schnorki 3196Moderator

PC
Nope. That's fairly old and unrelated to quick-cast.

Plus that one gives you an unintended benefit, rather than flat out breaking your controls.
I think I spoke to early, umm..
Teleport
just trigger's when its switching back to it, no even casted, so pulls me into mobs.

Its just really bad. Sorry I tried hahaa.

you need to cast skills so slow, so the auto cast can keep up then whats the point of cast rate. When I spam it gets confused.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...